Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I think someone did a comparison of the bus vs the gondola capacity. Can you please link that. Thanks

I think someone did a comparison of the bus vs the gondola capacity. Can you please link that. Thanks
From the first post

It is expected that bus transportation to the parks and resorts involved in this new transportation system will decrease or go away altogether. Here are some expected capacity numbers.

• 3 busloads = roughly 180 people
  • The Gondola system will take that in about 5 minutes
  • A full bus is about 60-70 people
  • Capacity is rumored to be roughly 4000-5000 people per hour each way
  • That's the equivalent of 40 buses worth to Epcot each hour, and 40 buses worth to DHS

Interesting comments about gondola capacity. I wonder if there is a per-vehicle weight limit? Or perhaps some limit on the total weight over a span?
There should be a marked per vehicle weight limit, that is standard on Gondolas. Doesn’t mean it has to be followed, for example the gondola I was on this morning, which is a Doppelmayr with brand new cabins, has a 705 lb limit for 4 people. With ski equipment, an average 4 adults will be a couple hundred pounds over the limit but are still loaded, which is not unusual across different mountains. Now at Disney, the 180 pound average US weight would come without ski equipment adding weight. The simplest way for Disney to stay under the limit, which is likely to be 1800-2000 lbs for these cabins I would guess, would be to load fewer people than the max. And that really shouldn’t be much of an issue, since the system will move people quick enough to avoid a line buildup except potentially at park close.

I’m still anticipating lines and waits but the continuous load will be great!! There is something t be said for moving forward (however slowly) as opposed to standing and waiting for transportation to arrive in an unknown amount of time.

Why is it that resort bus stops now have monitors telling you when the next bus to each of the 4 parks will be but the parks have nothing for when the next bus to your resort will be?

Why is it that resort bus stops now have monitors telling you when the next to each of the 4 parks will be but the parks have nothing for when the next bus to your resort will be?
The buses aren't assigned to specific routes continuously. A bus returning from BWV to MK may get switched to SSR based on crowds.

There should be a marked per vehicle weight limit, that is standard on Gondolas. Doesn’t mean it has to be followed, for example the gondola I was on this morning, which is a Doppelmayr with brand new cabins, has a 705 lb limit for 4 people. With ski equipment, an average 4 adults will be a couple hundred pounds over the limit but are still loaded, which is not unusual across different mountains. Now at Disney, the 180 pound average US weight would come without ski equipment adding weight. The simplest way for Disney to stay under the limit, which is likely to be 1800-2000 lbs for these cabins I would guess, would be to load fewer people than the max. And that really shouldn’t be much of an issue, since the system will move people quick enough to avoid a line buildup except potentially at park close.
Rather than have a large scale for your party to stand on I expect they will keep the gondola capacity well below 10.

The only caveat here is that at Disney you almost always have to figure in having kids that weigh far less than the 180 pound average. So I could see max people at open/close, but still under max weight limit.

It would appear a shipment of gondolas has arrived! Someone posted a picture on wdwmagic of the CBR station from this morning with several cabins hanging in the storage area!
I will be shocked if we are unable to ride the gondola in September. Can't they start using it (with the gondolas they have) then just add on as they arrive? I don't mean doing it now. Obviously they will have to go through rigorous safety checks. Heck, I'll be excited if they are ready in May. We'll be there a week or so before Memorial Day. It would be great to utilize them while we are at CBR in May! I'm not nervous at all....if riding the huge one up to the Schilthorn in the Alps didn't phase me, this one sure won't!

I wonder how many they have on site now? Even 12-20 would seem like a lot but not be close to the number they'll have once they all arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter