Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I was just thinking...maybe I'm wrong here...but wouldn't this actually save Disney on some bus costs?

Now they don't have to have buses go to EPCOT or Hollywood Studios from these resorts, just like the monorail.
Possibly but I'm guessing you'll still have buses to the parks. BC/YC still have a bus to DHS most time the of the year even with the boat.

I am excited for this and I don't even stay at any of the involved resorts, lol!

+1. ...and this is the main reason to build it. I never even consider those resorts...and the Mouse knows it. That's the reason for them to build this system. It's brilliant, really. Everyone loves it, and it makes them more money. If this goes in, I will eventually stay at one of those places.
I hope that it opens tomorrow. :sunny:pixiedust:

I don't know that this would eliminate buses. More likely the buses would run less often. There are reports of cables breaking on other similar systems, so I don't know that I would call it an "Irrational fear." Those reports involved older systems that had not been maintained as they should have been. I think any incident would be very unlikely at Disney because they are fastidious about maintenance. The bit that would give me pause is the wind- would the cars sway a bit in the wind?! My girls had a good laugh at me in the swinging gondolas on Mickey's Fun Wheel when we visited Disneyland.
They do sway in the wind.
Most US states that have several ski resorts have a tramway safety council. Just like any other conveyance, there will be somebody regulating the safety. It comes down to someone maintenance plan. Accidents do happen, but they happen more often in Cars, busses, and airplanes.

Is that really true though? In the case of getting from say BC or BW to EPCOT or DHS, if you don't like boats, your only option is to walk, right? They generally don't provide bus service from those resorts to those parks. If they were to stop bus service, the gondola would be your only option. Walking isn't an option from CBR or AOA, is it?

ETA: with that said, I can't imagine they'd stop bus service. I wouldn't expect this system to have any where near the capacity to move people around that buses do.

Yes your other option is to walk but the walk is more than manageable.
They are not going to stop the bus service.
The gondolas would be just another mode of transport.
Take POR... There is a boat that goes to DS but you can also take a bus.

Since no permit indicates a building at the international gateway at the moment, it's reasonable speculation to believe there might be one. However, if you look at the line it also lines up with the front entrance of epcot. There you have the Busses, Monorail, and an entrance that is better suited for large traffic.

I'm going against the crowd here. I am not liking this news. Yep, I have an irrational fear of heights, so there is no way I would ever get on one. I can do the monorail because it is not really that high. I'm sure these would be much higher.

As someone who stays at YC, I am not looking forward to seeing these across the skyline in the area. Doesn't really seem to go with the Boardwalk, New England theme of the resorts in the area.

People complain about the slow boat from Epcot to DHS now. It might not be any faster on these gondolas if they stop at 2 or 3 resorts along the way. As for placement at Epcot, there is a small area outside the IG that could possibly accomodate a loading platform, depending on how much room is needed. This area is very near BC, just over the bridge. It would be visible from France & maybe U.K. So could spoil the "show" in those areas too.

I'm going against the crowd here. I am not liking this news. Yep, I have an irrational fear of heights, so there is no way I would ever get on one. I can do the monorail because it is not really that high. I'm sure these would be much higher.

As someone who stays at YC, I am not looking forward to seeing these across the skyline in the area. Doesn't really seem to go with the Boardwalk, New England theme of the resorts in the area.

People complain about the slow boat from Epcot to DHS now. It might not be any faster on these gondolas if they stop at 2 or 3 resorts along the way. As for placement at Epcot, there is a small area outside the IG that could possibly accomodate a loading platform, depending on how much room is needed. This area is very near BC, just over the bridge. It would be visible from France & maybe U.K. So could spoil the "show" in those areas too.
You won't have to ride these they will just be an additional mode of travel.

I reserve judgement until I see some more details.

Probably would never use them myself, but I can see the appeal.

I don't know how this will work with sight lines. Unless they are thinking not enough people really care?

They need more transportation methods, im willing to give it a chance. they need to make it fast enough that it beats bus times is the big thing for me.

They need more transportation methods, im willing to give it a chance. they need to make it fast enough that it beats bus times is the big thing for me.

According to FAQ on London Air Liner, its cabins hold up to 10 and depart every 15 seconds. At that pace, you could get a full bus load in the air in under 2 minutes. And the trip itself is almost certainly shorter than a bus winding along WDW's congested roads.

I don't know that this would eliminate buses. More likely the buses would run less often. There are reports of cables breaking on other similar systems, so I don't know that I would call it an "Irrational fear." Those reports involved older systems that had not been maintained as they should have been. I think any incident would be very unlikely at Disney because they are fastidious about maintenance. The bit that would give me pause is the wind- would the cars sway a bit in the wind?! My girls had a good laugh at me in the swinging gondolas on Mickey's Fun Wheel when we visited Disneyland.

I rode Mickey's Fun Wheel - but no way I was going to get on the swinging ones. My excuse was that DH is prone to vertigo, and he didn't want to chance triggering it on that.

The weird thing is that I LOVE coasters, I don't mind tall buildings, airplanes etc. But I get kinda nervous on Soarin' (I hold on to the bars the whole time), ski lifts, and these gondola-type rides. When Disney had the Skyway, I rode it, but when it went across the wheels at the poles, I would have a little moment of panic.

Accidents do happen, but they happen more often in Cars, busses, and airplanes.

And I *know* that, which is why my fear is irrational. :confused3

Intrigued. That's the best way to explain how I feel about this. I'm trying to imagine exactly how this would work, especially in a place that prides itself on aesthetics and theming. I would think that there would be wires and towers all over the place, right? In order for the gondola to stop at EPCOT's International gateway, there would need to be a tower, visible from the World Showcase and more importantly, the DVC rooms at Beach Club and Boardwalk. I can certainly see it being an eyesore.

I know, I know—well, what about the monorail. Well, the monorail is different. It's an iconic symbol and it's only one track. In fact, the track almost goes unnoticed unless a monorail is passing through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts