Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I'm very glad I didn't experience these issues when I was down there. I really hope Disney gets it together with this transportation option because it is wonderfully efficient. Barely 10 minutes between EPCOT and DHS with no wait and a quick transfer. But I wonder if all these horror stories are keeping people away from that option and keeping the lines down...

WDW is obviously expecting extended delays
It does not appear obvious to anyone else.
Except that WDW doesn't have similar notices posted on either the buses nor the monorails. Therefore, they recognize that the Skyliner will continue to experience regular lengthy stoppages.
Not needed.
They also want to ease the pressure on concierge services
No. If that were true, Disney would not have created a dedicated Concierge line for the Skyliner.
I don't know. As much as i respect that website, a statement like, "including the Caribbean, Riviera, and Epcot lines" seems unclear and misleading. All lines are Caribbean Beach lines, while all three of the stations listed are on a single line. So was it one line with problems? Or two? Or three?
There are also photos on twitter of multiple cabins being unusable due to doors either not shutting completely (small crack between doors) or not shutting at all (completely open).
Links, please? How many cars? Two? Twenty? Frequency and date(s)?

It does not appear obvious to anyone else.

Not needed.

No. If that were true, Disney would not have created a dedicated Concierge line for the Skyliner.

I don't know. As much as i respect that website, a statement like, "including the Caribbean, Riviera, and Epcot lines" seems unclear and misleading. All lines are Caribbean Beach lines, while all three of the stations listed are on a single line. So was it one line with problems? Or two? Or three?

Links, please? How many cars? Two? Twenty? Frequency and date(s)?
The info is from a source the Dis censors. You'll have to search for it yourself.

Someone posted over on News & Rumors last night that they were stuck on the Skyliner:

Not real news, but I’m currently on the Skyliner and we’ve been stuck for about 15 minutes without moving and no word what the problem is.
Now they just announced we can open our emergency kit.
It started moving. Now we’re at a super high point and it stopped again.
Saw a report on Twitter people were being evacuated and directed to buses ... good luck!
I’m off now thankfully. That was NOT fun. And, I have to say, Disney did not handle it well at all.

Edit: Those posts were at 7:41 p.m., 7:51, 7:55, 7:58, & 8:02.

It was down for a couple of hours yesterday around noon as well. I heard they were having problems with the doors not opening or closing when they’re supposed to.

I'm very glad I didn't experience these issues when I was down there. I really hope Disney gets it together with this transportation option because it is wonderfully efficient. Barely 10 minutes between EPCOT and DHS with no wait and a quick transfer. But I wonder if all these horror stories are keeping people away from that option and keeping the lines down...
I’m not sure what you’re reading but I would not consider anything I’ve read to be a ‘horror story’. An inconvenience at times, yes but nothing at all (even the 3 hour delay the week it opened) would I classify as horrific.

Someone posted over on News & Rumors last night that they were stuck on the Skyliner:

Edit: Those posts were at 7:41 p.m., 7:51, 7:55, 7:58, & 8:02.
Thanks for summarizing those posts here @Anthony Vito. I think those times are pretty reasonable. Basically 36 minutes from originally stopping to unloading.

I’ve been on the Monorail for longer than that when it was stopped and on a MK bus from Pop longer than that when there was construction on the road and another time when there was an accident near the MK.

Transportation isn’t perfect and so far I think Disney is doing well with the skyliner considering the volume of people it carries on a daily basis. We’ll be there in Sept and I can’t wait to ride it!!!

Purely anecdotal - we just left after 10 days at WDW, staying at Pop. We had no issues whatsoever with the skyliner for the first week of our trip. No delays, no closures - and we used it a lot.

The past three days have been a totally different story. We experienced full-line closures or long stoppages every time we used the Skyliner. Wonder what’s going on...
I almost wonder if they reverted back to maximizing the number of guests per cabin, which takes longer to load.
(I think transportations’ bus/boat/monorail/cabin maximizing philosophy was the cause of their 1st week problems)

I think the difference is when you’re dangling high above a body of water, in your own bucket, with no information, it can be very scary. In the monorail, you’re not very high up. And if they need to evacuate, it’s a much quicker situation - there’s only a few cars in each train.

Also, Disney needs to do a better job of communicating. Even once I got off they didn’t say anything. They didn’t even tell us there were busses available for us to take. And the cast members were not very pleasant.

Last night we rode the Skyliner from The Riviera to Caribbean Beach so we could hop on the AOA line to take the kids to the arcade since there is no arcade at Riviera.. On our way back when we got off AOA line, the line to Riviera/Epcot was down. It was somewhere around 9ish I think. Anyway, after waiting in line for about 10 minutes they directed us down to the busses just to find out that the bus for Riviera would be at least 30 minutes so we walked back to our resort. Walk only took about 10 minutes so it wasn't that bad plus it gave us a fantastic view on the Riviera we haven't seen (pic below). When we got to the Riviera the Skyliner started working again but they were making everyone get off at Riviera. One family didn't understand and they ended up stopping it to get them off. I never heard what the reason was but I do know they were stopped for about 20-25 minutes. Add time we waited plus walking.

IMG_2306.jpg

We were stuck on the Skyliner our very first night at WDW. Decided to go for a spin from AoA to Epcot and back. About a 1/4 of the way leaving Epcot, we suddenly were stopped and floating in the sky. We got to watch the evening fireworks. In total I think it was 20 minutes, but my wife says it was closer to 30 minutes. I now tell people 20-25 minutes. Would I have liked the ability to hear a voice that told me, "Hey gang, we have a stuck [something] at CBR station and it'll just be another X minutes"? Yes I would have. I admit that. We eventually got going. After that we used the Skyliner every single day. It became my kids' favorite ride of our vacation. We had a few 1 to 2 minute pauses here and there. A CM told me when I asked, that some people refuse to get off and think they can just go around. Some people get scared to get on and that also causes delays.

Later that same week we were stuck and I mean stuck, in a jammed pack monorail to MK for over 45 minutes on the rail. Just sitting there just after departing the TTC station. We hardly had room to breathe. It seemed all the oxygen might get used up. We got to know a female voice very well who often came on with messages about the monorail ahead of us "needing more coffee" that morning. But honestly, she provided us little information beyond that. Something about coffee. Something about 10 more minutes. But it was reassuring to hear something from a human.

The Skyliner when we were there just had the same bing-bongs and female taped voice of a delay. Maybe just tell us something from the head Skyliner person that night. Let us know you have the problem in hand and are clearing the line. Tell us 10 more minutes. Tell us coffee is needed. Just something.

I have to chuckle about how some folks can characterize a floating stuck gondola in the air as not scary or horrific. I haven't ridden one yet, but I think that those folks that were directly involved would take the counter position.
I guess I just don’t quite understand what people think is going to happen to it? It wouldn’t be my first choice of place to be but unless there is a terrible thunder storm I’d just plan to wait it out. To me it’s more spacious than when I’m stuck in my car in awful traffic. Ideal? No. But, if I were that concerned about them stopping for an extended period of time, personally I’d choose another form of transportation. Disney offers many!

I have to chuckle about how some folks can characterize a floating stuck gondola in the air as not scary or horrific. I haven't ridden one yet, but I think that those folks that were directly involved would take the counter position.
I think a lot of folks from ski country don't give it a second thought. Having worked at resort where we practiced evacuations by rope, and having played the role of evacuee, I didn't find it awful. I'm not a big fan of heights either.
Having been on open chairs with wind gusts, blowing snow and ice pellets seems to have conditioned me for it.

Being stuck on the skyliner has me more concerned I'd miss a fast pass or adr window. The other bigger issue would be dealing with a bored child that thinks it's cutting into his attraction time.

Last edited:

Well, I *was* one of the ones stuck on the gondola for three hours opening weekend, and for me it was not scary and absolutely not horrific. I was sitting on a covered bench with a gentle breeze coming through the windows and even had a decent view of the new fireworks show at Epcot. The poor communication was frustrating, but I was never at any point frightened. The worst part was that I felt really bad for my friend who had a panic attack, but even for her, that wasn't a fear of the gondola itself, but was sparked by the thought of evacuating by climbing down a ladder onto a boat, since we were over water (and could have been prevented if Disney had communicated that everyone except the one car would still be brought to the station to get off once the one car was cleared, not evacuating everyone in place). She was fine while we were just stuck, before she saw the pictures online about the ladder truck being used.

Some people on board might have had a different perspective than I did, and I understand that, but the reality was that we were in a structurally safe place and, while we were inconvenienced, we were not any more at risk than we are on any other park ride (and we were in far, far less danger than we were during our drive on the interstate to get to the park). I've already ridden the gondolas again since then and they are by far my favorite form of transportation at Disney, even having had that experience.

(and could have been prevented if Disney had communicated that everyone except the one car would still be brought to the station to get off once the one car was cleared, not evacuating everyone in place)

Kind of seeing a recurring theme in most posts, including mine. Communications. We just need to hear a live human voice over our little gondola speaker. All is well. Problem will be cleared soon. Just 5 more minutes.

Instead we hang in space, enjoying the view, but have no idea whether we have 3 hours ahead of us or just 5 minutes.

The thing is most of the time they don’t know if it will be 5 or 15 minutes or more ... So they make an announcement that it will be 5 minutes and it 25 people will be made ... they make an announcement it will be 30 minutes people panic because it will be so long.
It’s not like Disney doesn’t know you’re there. They are working on it.

The thing is most of the time they don’t know if it will be 5 or 15 minutes or more ... So they make an announcement that it will be 5 minutes and it 25 people will be made ... they make an announcement it will be 30 minutes people panic because it will be so long.
It’s not like Disney doesn’t know you’re there. They are working on it.

I agree that they can't give a time estimate, but during that first incident, they just kept repeating the same message, which was basically: "The gondolas are experiencing a temporary delay. Thank you for your patience."

They could have said "There's a backup at the Riviera station and we will get you off at the closest station once that is cleared," or "We are addressing a medical issue on one gondola and we will get the line moving again as soon as that is resolved," and that would have been enough. If we had known they weren't intending to evacuate any other cars via ladder, my friend thinks she would not have had her panic attack. Or, frankly, even just stop having the same line repeat. After 2 1/2 hours, it doesn't feel like a "temporary delay" anymore, and there's no need to say anything if it's going to be the same line we've already heard 20 times or whatever the amount was.

Also, even though they have emergency intercoms in the cars, when we called through it because of my friend's panic attack, they just replied: "We're working on the situation. Please-" and then the line cut off mid-sentence and we never heard directly from them again, not to ask if she needed to speak to medical personnel, not to ask how she was doing, etc.

There was also the issue with internal communications, with Disney initially announcing publicly that there had been no collision when there were already pictures of the cars up against each other online, etc. When we got off the gondola there was still a CM at the station who repeated that line to another of my friends, telling her that any pictures must have been photoshopped, because he hadn't gotten the update that it was more than just an electrical issue.

I'm disappointed to hear that they didn't do better with their communication this time around. They should have put much better plans in place for that after the first incident.

I agree that they can't give a time estimate, but during that first incident, they just kept repeating the same message, which was basically: "The gondolas are experiencing a temporary delay. Thank you for your patience."

They could have said "There's a backup at the Riviera station and we will get you off at the closest station once that is cleared," or "We are addressing a medical issue on one gondola and we will get the line moving again as soon as that is resolved," and that would have been enough. If we had known they weren't intending to evacuate any other cars via ladder, my friend thinks she would not have had her panic attack. Or, frankly, even just stop having the same line repeat. After 2 1/2 hours, it doesn't feel like a "temporary delay" anymore, and there's no need to say anything if it's going to be the same line we've already heard 20 times or whatever the amount was.

Also, even though they have emergency intercoms in the cars, when we called through it because of my friend's panic attack, they just replied: "We're working on the situation. Please-" and then the line cut off mid-sentence and we never heard directly from them again, not to ask if she needed to speak to medical personnel, not to ask how she was doing, etc.

There was also the issue with internal communications, with Disney initially announcing publicly that there had been no collision when there were already pictures of the cars up against each other online, etc. When we got off the gondola there was still a CM at the station who repeated that line to another of my friends, telling her that any pictures must have been photoshopped, because he hadn't gotten the update that it was more than just an electrical issue.

I'm disappointed to hear that they didn't do better with their communication this time around. They should have put much better plans in place for that after the first incident.
They've had multiple instances where they should have instituted a better communication system and they've failed to do so, every time something like this has happened thus far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter