Disney Side Trip: Flushing Meadows

TGM

Tour Guide
Disney Side Trip: Flushing Meadows Part 1

Welcome to my TR (get used to the acronyms. Fine, I'll tell you what it means. Oh, you know what it means? You're lying. It stands for Trip Report.) to Flushing Meadows, New York, home of the 1939-1940, and 1964-1965 World's Fairs!

echo

echo

Is anyone there?

I guess not.

I'll talk to myself.

If you don't know who I am, I am TGM, from the world famous Disney Nomads TR, Confessions of a Disboard Dropout TR, and the Watch My Hair Frizz in Real Time TR, by my aunt Laura74. Usually, my TRs are about WDW, but this one is about a place closer to home. New York.

If you didn't bother to click the links I spent weeks getting ready for you (which are right there, in blue, above this sentence. Left a little, now right. Too much! Left a tiny bit, now click!), I will tell you who I usually travel with.

wd019wdw201414076762948.jpeg

From left to right, they are Wall-E (which comes from Walter Elias Disney), Monkston, daughter of Aunt Laura74 (I'll get into the odd nicknames later), Merida (if you don't know that name, go watch more Pixar movies), Aunt Laura74, her brother Mickey (if you don't know who Mickey Mouse is, get off this blog now, and go to this website), me (As soon as I mentioned me, my Spotify playlist starts playing Haunted Mansion music! My favorite! I can tell you don't believe me, so here's a screenshot)

Screen Shot 2015-08-09 at 12.08.52 PM.png

Next to me, is Jack Skellington, then Uncle (Mr.) Squid, who went to the 1964- 1965 World's Fair, so I'll be looking forward to his comments. Then, is my mom, Sheena, and my dad, Druid.

The bizarre nicknames are by Aunt Laura74, and the Disney names are the icons the people picked on My Disney Experience.

On this TR, only my dad (Druid), and I (TGM) are going.

gasp

I almost forgot to tell you about the World Famous "Satchel that contains the Binder of All Things Disney"!

Uncle (Mr.) Squid came up with the name

Screen Shot 2015-08-09 at 5.36.55 PM.png

This bag, which you can see in the photo above, I carry around everywhere. Inside, I keep many many things. Here is a picture.

IMG_0760_zpsew5xtrj2.jpg

In the picture above, you may have noticed a binder. That binder is the famous "Binder of All Things Disney"

Inside the binder, you can find the answer to any question you may have ever had about the Walt Disney Company, or the Disney family (give or take a few generations).

I promise I'll start talking about the trip in my next post!

I'm new to Disboard, have you already created a thread on how you made your Binder?

I am creating a binder for my trip in the Fall of 2016. My binder is 5.5 x 8.5 and I'm having trouble finding binder tabs or a place that will create some for me.

Disney Side Trip: Flushing Meadows Part 2
Woo hoo! My first reader! Thank you for reading my TR! :thanks: :welcome: to the DIS!

To continue on with the story….

We decided to go to Flushing Meadows when we saw Tommorowland (the movie), and had a very in depth conversation. Here is how the conversation went

:idea:

''That looks interesting. Lets go there this summer"

"OK''

If you haven't seen Tommorowland yet, I won't ruin it (go see it), but the main character goes to Flushing Meadows, during the 1964-1965 Worlds Fair, and goes on It's A Small World, and something happens. :)

We hadn't decided what day we would go, but we kept saying that we would go the first week of August, which happened (sorta).

It was August 8th, and we had decided that we would go on the next Friday (August 14th). I checked my calendar, and saw that I had my uncle's birthday, and we wouldn't have time to do both. So, at 12:00 we decided to go that day.

That day?!?!

When would I have time to create maps, and do research, and all sorts of tour guidey stuff? So, I ran to get my camera, shoved in a battery, and went downstairs to grab "
The Satchel that Contains the Binder of All Things Disney", when I realized I put the wrong battery in. Oh no. I couldn't get it out! I grabbed a hammer, screwdriver, a pair of pliers, and a wrench, and tried to pull it out.

It wouldn't move.

So, I grabbed a little, tiny screwdriver, and took apart the camera, and pulled the battery out, then shoved the right battery in, and grabbed TStCtBoATD, and the Binder of All Things Disney, plus my tripod, and DWed* (Disney Walked) out the door.

* Disney walk v. - to walk quickly to avoid slow tourists who do not know what they are doing

Yeah. If Ponzi uses sashay, I will use Disney Walk :)

We got in the car, and yelled at Siri, until she gave us directions, and we were off to Queens

Reader: "Wow, he finally stopped talking about himself, and started to leave"

TGM: "I'm not done talking about my self, but yes, I did leave :) (and no, I won't stop using this smilie)

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

See! Get used to it

Now, in your head, imagine a car, driving on a highway, now narrowly avoiding collisions, while driving 200,000,000,000,000,000 times the speed of light. If you can successfully imagine that, you can imagine how fast my dad drives.

Einstein had to reinvent the Theory of Relativity for him.

See! You think I make this stuff up!

Next time on TGM's TR

They finally get to Flushing, NY, but evil is around every corner

Tune in next time, on

Disney Side Trip: Flushing Meadows

Thanks for reminding me that this still exists! I got busy with other things, and forgot about this. It was fantastic! (Maybe one day I'll even finish this TR!)

Wow! I completely forgot about this!

Yeah, that's the website I used to find out where to go.

We Get There
After wandering around Flushing, we arrived at The Hall Of Science. Here are some photos.IMG_1213.JPGIMG_1215.JPG IMG_1220.JPG

There wasn't anything unique. It was very similar to the Franklin Institute, which is near me.

There was a Miles From Tomorrowland exhibit, but other that that, no Disney references.

After we left the museum, we went back to the parking lot, to drive to Corona Park. Once we got out of the maze of a parking lot, I saw a sign that said

"TURN HERE FOR CARONA PARK"

Right after this sign.

Right next to the museum.
photo 5-6.JPG

Not quite sure how we missed it.

Anyway, we went back, pleaded the man at the toll booth.

"Please sir, can we go back in?"

"I'm sorry, but you have to pay the $200 parking fee again"

"But we're writing a trip report for the DISboards!"

"Oh, you forgot to mention that! Come on in!'

Once we walked over to the park, we saw The Unisphere!

It's A LOT bigger than they make it seem in pictures.

So, I will show you some pictures.
photo 3-4.JPG photo 1-4.JPG

Then, we walked to the left, and saw the Men in Black towers.

Reader: (gasp) TGM! How dare you mention a non-Disney movie here!

Me: How about Males in Dark Gray? Is that better?

IMG_1227.JPG

Sorry about the overexposed iPhone photo.

It's a 4, ok? I'm sorry!

There was also this really old pillar.
photo 5-3.JPG

Like 1,500 years old.

And then there was this thing.
photo 5-5.JPG

Modern art? Something else?

Anyway, one would expect that this park would have maybe 5 or 6 people, with their Walkmen (Walkmans?) and iPods, but no. It was very crowded with people playing basketball (on the court of the universe), and soccer.

We are interested in going back soon, to see some of the things on the Imagineering Disney post, that we missed.

Thanks for reading,
TGM

Attachments

• photo 4-6.JPG
    photo 4-6.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter