Disney Shampoo/Conditioner messed up my daughter's hair!

NikkiLovesWDW!

"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "S
We stayed at POFQ a month ago and we all used the Disney hair products. A month later and my daughter's hair is still not the same! It's really stiff and rough and gets so knotty. It used to be smooth and super straight. I thought I was crazy thinking it was the Disney products but I just mentioned it to my sister, who was also on the trip with us (in a different room) and she said the same thing happened to her!! Anyone else have experience like this?? I will definitely be bringing my own products next time, I just hope that eventually, my daughter's hair will go back to normal!

We stayed at POFQ a month ago and we all used the Disney hair products. A month later and my daughter's hair is still not the same! It's really stiff and rough and gets so knotty. It used to be smooth and super straight. I thought I was crazy thinking it was the Disney products but I just mentioned it to my sister, who was also on the trip with us (in a different room) and she said the same thing happened to her!! Anyone else have experience like this?? I will definitely be bringing my own products next time, I just hope that eventually, my daughter's hair will go back to normal!

There are so many other factors that could be causing the issues. Do you happen to have soft water- we do and my hair feels different when I’m on vacation. Medication, etc

Has she been swimming a lot? Pool water does the same thing to my daughter's hair. Look for a swimmer's shampoo at a drugstore.

Shampoo and conditioner used a month ago can't still be affecting hair at this point. Something else is the issue. If she has been in a pool lately, it's that. Buy some Neutrogena clarifying shampoo and a packet of a GOOD, conditioning/repair hair masque. I like Nexus brand. Wash with the shampoo and then apply the entire packet of the conditioner, and wrap her hair up loosely in a warm towel for 30 minutes. Then rinse.

I have to do this once a week in the summers, and I generally have thick, soft hair. Pool water really makes it feel like straw and the ends get tangled, which never happens at any other time.

For a daily shampoo and conditioner, try Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine. It's cheap but it makes my hair look and feel great!

I thought that it couldn't be it either but then when my sister was like "Mine hair too!" it was too much of a coincidence. She isn't swimming any more than she was before the trip. Anything is possible though. I used some of my biosilk on it yesterday and that helped tremendously. I will definitely be bringing our own products from now on!

I agree with some of the pp chemicals in the pool are a more likely explanation.

Sorry to hear this! We love the Disney shampoo/conditioner. Was it from the new pumps installed in the showers or individual bottles/tubes left by mousekeeping?

Unlike most, I HATE the Disney shampoo/conditioner. It dries my hair out like crazy. Used it once and my hair felt like straw and that it was gonna break off, never again. Depending on the length of your trip and how often you washed your daughters hair I'd say the Disney stuff may still be playing a part. I'd agree you need to do a deep conditioning treatment or hot oil treatment. Just be sure you aren't over washing her hair. A lot of people wash more often then truly needed. Focus on the scalp and roots and you're good to go.

This happened to me too! I was at Disney for a week last summer and my hair was a hot mess by the end of the trip. I have baby-fine, long, straight hair that I use no products in - so I have no damage except the coloring I have used for years. I didn't swim last summer because of a broken elbow in a cast, so it wasn't the pool. I thought I was crazy!

And I totally realize that my hair grows out and that there is no way any dryness that was caused could still be around, but I swear my hair never went back to normal. I went from never even owning a bottle of conditioner to having to use it daily - even now - a year later!

So yes - I realize that it could be one of a million things, but it's odd that the same thing happened to more than one person. I wonder if it's some kind of reaction to something in the products that we don't even realize we have? Either way, I learned my lesson and bring my own hair stuff now. :)

This happened to me too! I was at Disney for a week last summer and my hair was a hot mess by the end of the trip. I have baby-fine, long, straight hair that I use no products in - so I have no damage except the coloring I have used for years. I didn't swim last summer because of a broken elbow in a cast, so it wasn't the pool. I thought I was crazy!

And I totally realize that my hair grows out and that there is no way any dryness that was caused could still be around, but I swear my hair never went back to normal. I went from never even owning a bottle of conditioner to having to use it daily - even now - a year later!

So yes - I realize that it could be one of a million things, but it's odd that the same thing happened to more than one person. I wonder if it's some kind of reaction to something in the products that we don't even realize we have? Either way, I learned my lesson and bring my own hair stuff now. :)

Wow, I'm so glad I'm not crazy! I'm sorry this happened to you too. Yes, my daughter's hair is exactly the same! Very fine and straight. Have you tried using anything to help it? Like I said in a previous reply, I used the biosilk serum and it definitely helped.

Mine was in the little bottles. Wilderness Lodge hadn't moved to the shower pump things yet.

I hadn't tried anything but a basic conditioner - everything makes my hair so much flatter than it already is! I'll have to give the Biosilk a try - thank you for the recommendation!!

I have baby fine, thin, soft, straight hair. I find my hair is out of whack for a couple of weeks after a trip even after bringing and using my own hair products from home while in WDW. I think it is a combination of Florida water (shower not pool as I don’t get my hair wet in pool), possibly more washes than normal because sometimes you need two showers a day (and I’m a daily washer anyway), and more sun exposure.

I think it is the water or your daughter's hair doesn't do well with H2O products. My hair starts to feel yucky on bout the 6th day at WDW even when we stay off property & take my own stuff.

Kae

The water in Florida has a lot of sulfur. Could be that and her PH level in her hair which is why it doesn't happen to everyone.

I have baby fine, thin, soft, straight hair. I find my hair is out of whack for a couple of weeks after a trip even after bringing and using my own hair products from home while in WDW. I think it is a combination of Florida water (shower not pool as I don’t get my hair wet in pool), possibly more washes than normal because sometimes you need two showers a day (and I’m a daily washer anyway), and more sun exposure.

Ditto. No matter what hair products I use my hair always feels like straw a few days into my Disney trip. I think being out in the sun has something to do with it too, even though I use a leave in conditioning spray.

That shampoo at Disney may have not been compatible to your daughter and sisters hair it could also be a reaction on top of it if they are sensitive to any of the ingredients. I have had this happen with other shampoos (don't use the disney marine stuff...due to sensitive and it's not compatible with my fine shiny hair).

Get your daughter a clarifying shampoo or mask and use that. Then have her use baby shampoo for awhile, that will make her fine hair shiny and back to normal again.

I always pack my own shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc..

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!