Disney server/waiter jobs?

Braves4590

Earning My Ears
I've already done the college program, and I'm thinking of moving back in January to work as a server at one of the Disney restaurants. I don't have any serving experience right now, but I'm planning on getting a job as a server at Chili's or Olive Garden or something of that sort for the next month.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1. Do you think they would hire me with just a month of experience? Not necessarily as a server right off the bat, but maybe as a bus boy/host?

2. If anyone here is a full time server, can you share your thoughts on the job?

3. What is the pay like? How much do you generally make per night/week in tips?

4. If it was a Disney run restaurant, you'd get the park pass and all that right? And I know some of the restaurants at Downtown Disney are independently owned, so would they give the park pass as a benefit?

5. Is December/January a good time to apply? And can I do the interview process over the phone since i'll be in New Jersey?

And any other info about the job that might be interesting!! Thanks everyone.

I've already done the college program, and I'm thinking of moving back in January to work as a server at one of the Disney restaurants. I don't have any serving experience right now, but I'm planning on getting a job as a server at Chili's or Olive Garden or something of that sort for the next month.

1. Do you think they would hire me with just a month of experience? Not necessarily as a server right off the bat, but maybe as a bus boy/host?

2. If anyone here is a full time server, can you share your thoughts on the job?

4. If it was a Disney run restaurant, you'd get the park pass and all that right? And I know some of the restaurants at Downtown Disney are independently owned, so would they give the park pass as a benefit?

5. Is December/January a good time to apply? And can I do the interview process over the phone since i'll be in New Jersey?

I don't know anything about this officially, but I'd be willing to put money on Disney having a 2 year minimum experience requirement or something like that...just MHO.

This is the page that would usually talk about servers- but now that I look at it, it doesn't give info about servers... I guess keep checking this page.

http://www.disney.go.com/DisneyCareers/wdwcareers/hourly/tableservice.html

Also- try calling the Disney Job Line - you may find some info there!

1-407-828-1000

Hope that helps!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but tipped F&B positions are highly sought after and seldom available. I would go on to say (and have been told that) the waiting list internally for these positions is very long, and any openings would be filled internally first, based upon company seniority.

To directly answer your questions:

Server Assistants and Food Runners are typically responsible for bussing tables, and as tipped positions, the above note applies. A non-tipped position for an external candidate, such as a host, is possible.

Before moving on to the hotel operations part of Walt Disney World, I worked in one of the most popular restaurants on property, Ohana at Disney's Polynesian Resort. My (non-tipped) role was very similar to a coordinator... and basically this applies for any tipped F&B role: in working to please our guests, the role can and will be very demanding both physically and mentally simply because there is so much going on. Disney F&B is very fast paced, and those who thrive in those environments will do handsomely well when it comes to bottom line.

I'm not going to directly answer this, but consider the following: most meals at Disney cost about $30 per person, and the average party has four guests. I'd say you can probably serve about 40-60 guests per shift, assuming four tables per round, and three rounds. Standard gratuity is 18%.

Cast Member IDs work like theme park annual passes, and can be used immediately upon issue without block out dates. Restaurants on property but not operated by Disney are Operating Participants, and most employees of those locations receive a different type of Disney ID that is functionally equivalent for theme park admission.

Application time is mostly irrelevant, as roles are opened and filled on a rolling basis. I don't believe Disney does phone interviews for full/part time positions, just the College and International Programs.

I would agree with the above posts. Many of the individuals working as servers in Disney restaurants have been there for years and because of that (and the fact that many CMs know there is a very high probability of making a more than adequate wage from gratuities in those jobs) they are in very high demand.

I believe the only tipped positions that don't necessarily have an internal waiting list are those found in the restaurants in World Showcase at Epcot. Since many of the Cast Members there are part of the International Ambassador program, essentially a temporary program, and there are otherwise not enough other roles to go around in each of the pavilions, they are staffed as servers in the restaurants as well (plus it provides a more authentic experience).

I believe the only tipped positions that don't necessarily have an internal waiting list are those found in the restaurants in World Showcase at Epcot. Since many of the Cast Members there are part of the International Ambassador program, essentially a temporary program, and there are otherwise not enough other roles to go around in each of the pavilions, they are staffed as servers in the restaurants as well (plus it provides a more authentic experience).

Actually, we also employ US-based Full Time Cast Members in the Disney-Operated Pavilions as well. Among other things, it helps to cover labour needs during CRP turnover periods.

They have to meet all the Cultural Requirements that Cultural Representative Cast Members meet (citizenship of the country in question, knowledge of the language, residency preferred).

Like in other areas, many of those Cast Members have been with the company for decades. The internal transfer lists for those locations is ridiculously long, even more so than the average Table Service location.

I would love to work as a server at WDW...all the restaurants seemed to be fully booked constantly...I work as a server right now and on a good Saturday I average about $200 cash for 6 hours of work, I can only imagine how much money the servers there make.

I would love to work as a server at WDW...all the restaurants seemed to be fully booked constantly...I work as a server right now and on a good Saturday I average about $200 cash for 6 hours of work, I can only imagine how much money the servers there make.

Keep in mind that at some restaurants the gratuity is already included in the check, like at Cinderella's Royal Table. And if you're serving Cast Members I believe the automatic gratuity is 18% of the original bill before the 20% cast discount is applied.

Needless to say I have a friend that worked/is working at Le Cellier in Canada at Epcot and he makes more on a weekly basis than a lot of non-server full timers I know.

I would also agree with the sentiment above that it takes a certain type of individual to pull off a serving job at a place like WDW. I've never worked in a server position and have no desire to because my stress level would likely be through the roof, and that would just be me working at someplace like Chili's or Applebees. The expectations of guests at table service locations are much higher simply by virtue of the fact that they're on Disney property.

Getting a server job at Disney is VERY difficult.

If you manage to get an interview they ask you about your prior serving experience and if you dont have at least 2 years in a high volume restaurant, that is a huge strike against you.

The majority of servers at Disney are not full time workers, but part time. Full time serving positions are very, very difficult to get. Some restaurants may have 10 full time servers and 40 part time servers. All full time means is that you are guarenteed a certain amount of hours over the part timers.

To the person that is making $200 in a 6hr shift....stay there! Depending on the restaurant, the time of year, the host staff, time of day, rotation of the moon...the servers wages increase and decrease.

$200 is a great day for serving at Disney as well. Im pertty sure the average is a bit lower, but $200 is possible.

My stepmom currently works at CRT as a server but it took her something like 7 years or so with the company to get that job. She has been with the company for 15 years now and is only part time. There are very few people at her work place that are full time.

I have been working as a server for over 5 years now and would love to get a serving job at Disney but I know that is highly unlikely. Good luck to you though!

It may be good for you to take a full service hosting job at Disney to get one foot in the door with them. I would recommend having a little more experience in serving as well to see if it is right for you, plus the experience would only increase your chances.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but tipped F&B positions are highly sought after and seldom available. I would go on to say (and have been told that) the waiting list internally for these positions is very long, and any openings would be filled internally first, based upon company seniority.

Server Assistants and Food Runners are typically responsible for bussing tables, and as tipped positions, the above note applies. A non-tipped position for an external candidate, such as a host, is possible.

Before moving on to the hotel operations part of Walt Disney World, I worked in one of the most popular restaurants on property, Ohana at Disney's Polynesian Resort. My (non-tipped) role was very similar to a coordinator... and basically this applies for any tipped F&B role: in working to please our guests, the role can and will be very demanding both physically and mentally simply because there is so much going on. Disney F&B is very fast paced, and those who thrive in those environments will do handsomely well when it comes to bottom line.

I'm not going to directly answer this, but consider the following: most meals at Disney cost about $30 per person, and the average party has four guests. I'd say you can probably serve about 40-60 guests per shift, assuming four tables per round, and three rounds. Standard gratuity is 18%.

Cast Member IDs work like theme park annual passes, and can be used immediately upon issue without block out dates. Restaurants on property but not operated by Disney are Operating Participants, and most employees of those locations receive a different type of Disney ID that is functionally equivalent for theme park admission.

Application time is mostly irrelevant, as roles are opened and filled on a rolling basis. I don't believe Disney does phone interviews for full/part time positions, just the College and International Programs.

Really strong agree this advise:thumbsup2

Glad I came across the very informative post. I am just getting home from a wonderful stay at WDW. I have been a server in fast paced restaurants for 15 years. I love what I do. I thought where better to work than Walt Disney World. Too bad it's so difficult to get a serving job there. Maybe I could transfer within the current concept I work for to Orlando.

Just read this old board, lots of good info.
I have 1. Lil question
I am a current disney cast member working in F&B ( stands west )
What would be the first step for me to be one a server?

I am guessing I would go to casting and apply to a internal transfer

But , do I need to hav a restaurant or location picked out? And if yes, what would be the easiest to get into ? I would like to become a server while President Obama is still in office, LoL

Any othe current info would be greatly appreciated

Call 407-828-1000. That is the disney job line and they will give you much more accurate info than you could possibly get here.

I would assume that something like this may be on the hub too. But I don't have hub access and it probably isn't any more user friendly and easy to find something as it was when I did.

Hi there, I've never used a forum like this before so I hope I'm using it correctly. I noticed what you wrote above "Server Assistants and Food Runners are typically responsible for bussing tables, and as tipped positions, the above note applies. A non-tipped position for an external candidate, such as a host, is possible." My question relates to that. I am accepting a position at Carthay Circle Restaurant (fine dining) in Disney's CA Adventure in Anaheim, CA, as I believe host, however, on my offer letter it says "CR Food Service Workers (05) and F&B Table Service Food Service Worker (written both ways). Can you please tell me or clarify if this position gets a percentage of tips? Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!