Disney Riviera Resort

I don't think this is the main entrance. I believe the main entrance will be off the road, not the lake. This looks like a pavilion near the lake, not necessarily the main entryway. I could be wrong about that, but based on my trip earlier this summer, that was the look of things.
The first images are off the lake. The second set of images with the porte chochere is the main entrance and is off the road.

Just received this DVC email...

5DBC95216D6F2E7076135B0161EF0FB4.png

MEMBER MAIL: HOT OFF THE PRESS
DISNEY'S RIVIERA RESORT
UPDATE
Dear Disney Vacation Club® Member,

Since Disney’s Riviera Resort was first announced in July 2017, our Members have continually asked to be kept informed about the newest Resort. With that in mind, we wanted you to be among the first to hear some exciting updates. Construction is progressing extremely well on our new proposed Disney Vacation Club Resort, and it’s currently on schedule to open in Fall 2019.

When it opens its doors, Disney’s Riviera Resort will offer all the grandeur of Europe combined with the magic of Disney. The new Resort will be conveniently located in the heart of Walt Disney World® Resort, and feature unique access to Epcot® and Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, via the new Disney Skyliner.

Important information for Disney Vacation Club Members:
  • This Spring, Members can begin booking stays at Disney’s Riviera Resort with Vacation Points, accessing exclusive, protected inventory which is being held just for our Members. Exact timing will be shared once the official opening date is confirmed.
In the interim, Disney’s Riviera Resort will begin taking rental reservations from the general public this month. To learn more about the new Resort, watch the Disney Parks Blog and follow Disney Vacation Club on Facebook and Instagram for updates.

We look forward to welcoming our newest Resort!

Disney Vacation Club

This is very confusing to me. I thought it was to be a DVC only resort, but the general public will be able to make reservations first? What is going on? Am I understanding correctly??? :confused3

This is very confusing to me. I thought it was to be a DVC only resort, but the general public will be able to make reservations first? What is going on? Am I understanding correctly??? :confused3
It is. But even DVC resorts have rooms available for cash bookings. As the resort sells, more and more of the rooms are held in a block for DVC booking. Early on there will be more rooms available for cash bookings than there will be as time goes on.

ETA: To begin, they say they are holding a block aside for members -- i.e. not renting everything out cash. Would be nice to know the size of that block...

Last edited:
Disney/DVC makes money any way that the can. Selling DVC contracts or booking cash guests, it's all about revenue and profit. Allowing cash guests will lead to them buying contracts there which is what DVD wants, my bet is that they will have a very active sales office there. During this selling phase is when you as a DVC owner should book there. DVC will keep the place in tip top shape and will have extra magic going on to help sell. At BLT during the selling phase they had a full time housekeeper cleaning the lobby and areas where prospects would visit.

:earsboy: Bill

I can't wait to find out some of the details. Room sizes, configurations, etc. At least we're getting there!

Remember that DVC can't book rooms on points until it's declared and it can't be declared until it goes through the hoops and starts to sell points. They ALWAYS sell cash rooms first since DVC is renting out their own points for cash.

As a frequent DVC renter (3-4 times a year) at the moment I have zero interest in this property over the existing DVC Resorts. Waiting to see a complete rundown of the completed property to make a final decision. But at the moment, meh. I am very excited for Reflections though.

Not a chance I am buying this thing with the instant drop in value due to its lack of resale, BUT, if I can grab a room next spring with my existing AKV points, I'd -stay- at the Caribbean Beach DVC :)

Same. Could be an excellent spot on dues. :thumbsup2

I'm interested in staying there using my current points. I can't see myself adding anything direct anymore, and resale would have to see a drop in price. DVC used to be a great deal...become a good deal...and slowly feels like there is no benefit to just paying rack rates.

I'm interested in staying there using my current points. I can't see myself adding anything direct anymore, and resale would have to see a drop in price. DVC used to be a great deal...become a good deal...and slowly feels like there is no benefit to just paying rack rates.
There may be less value now, but as with any timeshare, if you plan to vacation to WDW over X yrs and figure out your break even, it’s still far better than just paying rack.

There may be less value now, but as with any timeshare, if you plan to vacation to WDW over X yrs and figure out your break even, it’s still far better than just paying rack.
You are probably right, but since I bought in in 2006 it just seems like such a huge drop in value. I imagine those that got in before me see it even worse.

You are probably right, but since I bought in in 2006 it just seems like such a huge drop in value. I imagine those that got in before me see it even worse.
But if you've used it, you've very, very likely made your money back EASILY and then some!

If you mean RESALE value, I don't think anyone should factor that into a timeshare purchase decision. That's gravy -- that's not where it's smart to assume savings/benefits from ownership.

We bought SSR back in 2006, and BLT in 2009 (I think) -- we're WELL PAST our break-even point already based on how we would have traveled to WDW and stayed rack.

sorry if this has been covered but is the most current thinking that the point / night requirements will be similar or higher than Grand Floridian DVC?

sorry if this has been covered but is the most current thinking that the point / night requirements will be similar or higher than Grand Floridian DVC?

I think a lot of us are curious about that. My guess is about the same.

Most of the guesses I've seen on other boards (e.g. mouse owners) is that this would come in just under BLT (so lower than VGF as well), but no one knows. I'd personally be really surprised to see a resort that isn't walkable to any park and is near Epcot come in higher than BLT, which is walkable and right next to MK. But I guess we'll see!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!