Disney Riviera Resort

Typically, when a new dvc resort opens they start selling points 3-5 months in advance of its opening date. In most cases I have seen, that is the best time to stay at that resort with non-home resort points. I have a feeling with the gondolas, SWGE, and MRRR all opening at around the same time...this may not be the case for the Riviera. I'm hopeful I can transfer out of my home resort for Thanksgiving 2019 into the Riviera, but not gonna count on it.

Dvc doesn't announce multiple new resorts at the same time, let alone build them simultaneously.
1) they do not want to canabilize there often sales with 2 competing resorts
2) they don't want to give perspective buyers a reason to hesitate..i.e. I'll wait on purchasing Riviera as I prefer river country

Usually the announcement of a new DVC resort is around 60%+ sales of the current one. They have the statistics down so well that they can plan it almost perfectly that a new resort starts selling when they existing one is around 85% sold.
The only resort I can remember was different was Hawaii.
In 2009/2010 they were actively selling AKV, BLT, VGC, and SSR (Although SSR was an outlier due to THV)

In 2009/2010 they were actively selling AKV, BLT, VGC, and SSR (Although SSR was an outlier due to THV)

VGC is an outlier in this list as well because it's on the opposite coast. I think Disney does not mind selling two resorts at once, but they don't want that to be the standard and certainly don't want more than that.

Yes thats true, but look at these openning dates:

BRV - Nov 2000
BCV - Jul 2002
SSR - March 2004
AKV - Jul 2007
BLT - Aug 2009
VGC - Sep 2009
Aul - Aug 2011
VGF - Oct 2013
PVB - Apr 2015
CCV - Jul 2017
RIV - Sept/Oct 2019?

With the exception of VGC which is a DL resort and is catering to a different group there is always a 2 year gap between resorts. The question I was answering was if they would announce 2 NEW resorts at the same time. I'm not arguing if they are selling more than one "primary/active" resort. That has happened a few times due to the sheer size of SSR, AKV, and AUL.

Yes thats true, but look at these openning dates:

BRV - Nov 2000
BCV - Jul 2002
SSR - March 2004
AKV - Jul 2007
BLT - Aug 2009
VGC - Sep 2009
Aul - Aug 2011
VGF - Oct 2013
PVB - Apr 2015
CCV - Jul 2017
RIV - Sept/Oct 2019?

With the exception of VGC which is a DL resort and is catering to a different group there is always a 2 year gap between resorts. The question I was answering was if they would announce 2 NEW resorts at the same time. I'm not arguing if they are selling more than one "primary/active" resort. That has happened a few times due to the sheer size of SSR, AKV, and AUL.

Again, I don't think they would open two resorts at the same time, but I could see them overlapping sales. You could get Riviera in 2019 then another resort in 2020 and a third one in 2021 if they are projecting continued strong economy. If the ecomony tanks, they just shelve a project a la PC: Classic Years.

Again, I don't think they would open two resorts at the same time, but I could see them overlapping sales. You could get Riviera in 2019 then another resort in 2020 and a third one in 2021 if they are projecting continued strong economy. If the ecomony tanks, they just shelve a project a la PC: Classic Years.
Yes, we are in essence saying the same thing

Oh, are only DVC allowed to stay there? I wasn't sure.
There’s a small percentage that Disney always owns. Members booking cruises and other exchanges that require a DVC room to rented also opens up rooms for nonmembers.

Thanks so much for the photos! These photos are great. You really get a sense of the building for the first time. This looks huge to me. I mean, WAY huge. I have lost track of numbers of rooms, but it looks so big!

No they will rent some rooms. My guess is cash stays will be quite expensive though.

Last edited:

No they will rent some rooms. My guess is cash stays will be quite expensive though.

I imagine point rentals will be very popular here, probably easily enough after it's been on sale for a bit. Even though I'm DVC we're renting Copper Creek (don't have enough points for a 2-bedroom). Clearly someone had enough points and wanted to rent them out after a short time so that would be a good option if someone wanted to try it out. Hopefully they build more studios than they did in GFV and CCV so that people can book there at 7 months. I'd definitely be willing to try it out if it's available.

I imagine point rentals will be very popular here, probably easily enough after it's been on sale for a bit. Even though I'm DVC we're renting Copper Creek (don't have enough points for a 2-bedroom). Clearly someone had enough points and wanted to rent them out after a short time so that would be a good option if someone wanted to try it out.

Agreed. Cash stays will be spendy, but rental point stays will be a great option if trustworthy etc-and DVC members getting to stay there will be wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!