Disney resort guests and theme park entrance reservations - edited to add email just received from WDW about August 5th reservation

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
Apparently, once the parks reopen, guests will be required to make reservations for entry into the parks.

Does that mean onsite resort guests might find themselves blocked from the parks?

For someone traveling halfway around the world, the possibility that we might not actually have access to the parks is certainly a dealbreaker.

Has Disney said what will happen to onsite guests regarding entrance into the parks?
----------------------------------
editing to add email just received from WDW regarding august 5th reservation

An Important Walt Disney World Update​
As we plan for the reopening of our Disney Resort Hotels and Theme Parks, we are keeping the wellbeing of our Guests and Cast in mind. And we’re here to help you as we introduce new procedures focused on delivering an enjoyable and magical experience for everyone who visits.

To manage attendance and foster physical distancing during this unprecedented time, we’ve changed—and even suspended—some dining and other experiences. In addition, we will also be introducing a new Theme Park reservation system.
Unfortunately, these new measures have required us to cancel any dining reservations and experience reservations you may have made. We recognize the inconvenience this poses and we’re deeply sorry. There’s nothing you need to do at this time. We’ll be contacting you with details on this new system soon.
You’ll also be provided with early access to book new dining and experiences. And we’ll be contacting you shortly regarding that process as well.

At this time, while systems update, we are temporarily suspending all modifications. However, you have the option of canceling your entire reservation.

We’re putting great thought into helping you return to the magic and appreciate your patience.

For more information, please visit disneyworld.com, call 407-W-DISNEY (934-7639), or contact your travel professional or Member Services.

‌​

Last edited:
There will definitely be a system in place requiring guests to have a pre-approved reservation to enter the parks. What I'm not clear on is how far in advance they'll allow guests to request those slots, and who gets to try first. It sounds like guests with on-site reservations and tickets will get an edge in getting into the parks, but that's not clear (at least not to me). I know part of what they're doing is similar to what they implemented when re-opening Shanghai Disneyland, so I'm sure the approach will be similar - but until there are more details, it's tough. If I were in your shoes and traveling so far, I'd want to know if I can get into the parks, too - at least the majority of the days.

ok.....,my daughter just received an email regarding an August 5th reservation (see below).
According to the email, all of their dining reservations have been cancelled.

An Important Walt Disney World Update​
As we plan for the reopening of our Disney Resort Hotels and Theme Parks, we are keeping the wellbeing of our Guests and Cast in mind. And we’re here to help you as we introduce new procedures focused on delivering an enjoyable and magical experience for everyone who visits.

To manage attendance and foster physical distancing during this unprecedented time, we’ve changed—and even suspended—some dining and other experiences. In addition, we will also be introducing a new Theme Park reservation system.
Unfortunately, these new measures have required us to cancel any dining reservations and experience reservations you may have made. We recognize the inconvenience this poses and we’re deeply sorry. There’s nothing you need to do at this time. We’ll be contacting you with details on this new system soon.
You’ll also be provided with early access to book new dining and experiences. And we’ll be contacting you shortly regarding that process as well.

At this time, while systems update, we are temporarily suspending all modifications. However, you have the option of canceling your entire reservation.

We’re putting great thought into helping you return to the magic and appreciate your patience.

For more information, please visit disneyworld.com, call 407-W-DISNEY (934-7639), or contact your travel professional or Member Services.

‌​

I think by stating that you have the option of canceling your reservation so clearly, they are making it very clear they hope people simply cancel.

So far, I think we have really only gotten a sliver of the information we need. I a, hoping we find out a lot more over the next few days

I think by stating that you have the option of canceling your reservation so clearly, they are making it very clear they hope people simply cancel.
I pointed this out in the other thread but it makes Chapek quote about “The world is ready for some Magic” about as ironic as possible.
They are basically asking people not to come.
And someone needs to buy him a dictionary, his definition of magic is not anything like mine.

Last edited:
So there are some dedicated threads to this if you are interested in tons of posts with what info is known, rumors out there, and speculation! :D

There isn't much more confirmed but my understanding is they are cancelling all existiing FP+s and ADRs and will suspend use of the FP+ system.

I also have seen that you will have to make a reservation for a park to be able to go to that park on that day. It is unclear how park hopping will work (or if it will even exist)

I have also seen that the ADR window will become 60 days and if you want to make an ADR for a restaurant in a park you will need to have a reservation for that park. Given that, I woudl think the window to reserve a spat at a park will be at least 60 days.

So you should know before you go on your trip which park you have a reservation for on what days. Which, while creates some stress ahead of time I think is a lot better than going on vacation, showing up at park, and finding out it hit capacity and you are out of luck

I received the same email for an OCTOBER reservation
Interestingly enough however, all ADRs are still on MDE. And if they stick, than in one case I guess Disney has decided we're going to MK that day (which was not the original plan).

On the same vein, I'm guessing park hopping is going to be out then? Or can you make a reservation for park #1 in the morning and #2 in the afternoon? (Was tentatively thinking since Epcot doesn't open until 11, going to HS on the EMH morning beforehand for a ride or two)

So there are some dedicated threads to this if you are interested in tons of posts with what info is known, rumors out there, and speculation! :D

There isn't much more confirmed but my understanding is they are cancelling all existiing FP+s and ADRs and will suspend use of the FP+ system.

I also have seen that you will have to make a reservation for a park to be able to go to that park on that day. It is unclear how park hopping will work (or if it will even exist)

I have also seen that the ADR window will become 60 days and if you want to make an ADR for a restaurant in a park you will need to have a reservation for that park. Given that, I woudl think the window to reserve a spat at a park will be at least 60 days.

So you should know before you go on your trip which park you have a reservation for on what days. Which, while creates some stress ahead of time I think is a lot better than going on vacation, showing up at park, and finding out it hit capacity and you are out of luck

Chani's 60 day mark will be in less than a week (since her trip is august 5th).
i wonder if they'll have the system up and running by then.

although i just remembered that last i checked, there's no medical travel insurance to the USA right now (because of the coronavirus), so that may be the actual dealbreaker. LOL

turns out the company we use does cover covid 19 in the USA.
Chani would be covered, so that's not a problem.

but now i saw an email that was sent to someone who already has tickets.
turns out since chani doesn't have a ticket yet, she wouldn't have first crack at reservations.
And since ticket sales are now frozen, she can't buy tickets.

Attachments

• disney with ticket.jpg
    disney with ticket.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
So you should know before you go on your trip which park you have a reservation for on what days.
Despite all of the other craziness, this is actually something that would make me not want to go. We are firmly a "get there and wing it" family. There is no way we'd want to have to decide what we're doing every day of our trip weeks in advance.

We've already decided we aren't returning until things are back to relatively normal. This just further supports that decision. We're booked for the 50th in October 2021. Hopefully by then things will have settled down.

Despite all of the other craziness, this is actually something that would make me not want to go. We are firmly a "get there and wing it" family. There is no way we'd want to have to decide what we're doing every day of our trip weeks in advance.

We've already decided we aren't returning until things are back to relatively normal. This just further supports that decision. We're booked for the 50th in October 2021. Hopefully by then things will have settled down.

I think anyone electing to go in the next 6 months needs to accept it will not be "normal" and if that won't work for you then best just wait

For some that go very often it might be neat to experience the parks in a "different" way but for many I think it makes sense to wait

I think anyone electing to go in the next 6 months needs to accept it will not be "normal" and if that won't work for you then best just wait

For some that go very often it might be neat to experience the parks in a "different" way but for many I think it makes sense to wait
Fortunately, we had nothing planned, unlike so many who have had their plans totally disrupted. I feel bad for all of those folks, especially any who were making that first trip.

the whole clan is going summer 2021 (july/august)
that's been planned for some time now..
also for the 50th, but with the kids all teachers, we have to travel in the summer..
i've started to wonder whether summer 2021 will be normal ...
we'll have to book our DVC rooms already in August, meaning we'll have to borrow lots of points when everything is still up in the air.
It definitely makes me nervous.

and while we do plan we also wing it.....

i've been wondering about the reservation system for obtaining entrance into the park.
there have been rumors that tickets will be barred from having too many park entrances reserved.
we fly there from very far away and stay at WDW for 3 weeks (every 5 years)...
we go into the parks every single day of those 3 weeks...
if the system limits me that's goign to be a real problem..
we have no reason to be at WDW other than to be in those parks...
i'm getting worried about the 2021 trip...

Fortunately, we had nothing planned, unlike so many who have had their plans totally disrupted. I feel bad for all of those folks, especially any who were making that first trip.

chani's trip is definitely disrupted...
i'm pretty sure the DVC points will be put back into the year they were borrowed from, but the $4000 airline tickets? hard to say what will happen..
we know the airline isn't refunding money - they don't have it to refund..
we're hoping they'll offer a credit and still be in existence the next time she flies (not 100% sure they'll survive....depends on government assistance).

You know it’s been interesting seeing wait times in Shanghai. It gets harder with all the removed offerings to justify the price of a ticket.

Like for DL, the Fantasmic show, the Frozen stage show add significant value to the ticket. Taking a 4 year old to Mickey’s house in TT and having that interaction is quite magical. It is difficult to put a price on that. Then if you include a viewing of Paint the Night or fireworks, what a remarkable way to end a day.

With just rides and those wait times you are looking at.. say just 8-9 rides at about $100 or so for a day. Then times it by a family of four. That starts to give me a bit of sticker shock.

Last edited:
Yeah, it makes more sense for APs for sure, think about $400 for a family.

I envision riding an immersive ride like Pirates or HM and thinking “well that was about $40 for our family” that might be okay.

To ride say the carousel..and get off and think well that was about $40 doesn’t sit as well.

and that's assuming you actually get to go into the park at all.
what if you're staying onsite, paying the crazy high prices that disney resorts charge and then don't get access to the parks because there are no reservation spots left.
So you'll have that expensive ticket and hotel room and not be able to enter the parks?
until now, an onsite room guaranteed entrance into the parks (except perhaps on xmas/new years?).
If that's no longer true, what's my incentive to pay those astronomical rates?

And not only is it impacting your park experience, it also affects things elsewhere on property. I just read an article about the World of Disney store. They are using a virtual queue to limit entry into the store. On opening day, the wait was up to 6 hours to shop there but got down under 2 hours later. Still, that's kind of ridiculous. I don't want to have to schedule my shopping time like that.

I understand why it's all being done and I totally agree with it. But it does make me have no interest in going at this point.

Chani didn't buy tickets before now as she wasn't sure she was going (because of corona) and she didn't want to throw good money after bad.
Now she can't buy tickets as they're not available for sale.
So how can she go in August if she doesn't have tickets now and can't reserve entrance into the parks now?
And even if she could buy tickets, should she take the risk of spending $1,600 on tickets (for just two people), when she doesn't know going in whether she'll be able to reserve entrance?
It's way too many ifs for my risk averse nature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter