Disney Princess Castle Cake

You did a great job!! It's beautiful!
Welcome to the board. Nice group here. Hope you'll like it.

Is it all edible. Can you share how you made that. I want DH to make one for me for my birthday. Last year it was Tink themed but it was a regular cake

Thank you all for your nice words!

Did you catch Tinkerbell flying overhead?

First of all I want to say that I really wanted this cake all edible, and it is possible, I just didn’t have the time or the gumption!

COVERING - I used rolled fondant to cover everything. This is the first time I used rolled fondant. Using it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be-it was like playing with Play Doh! But now I hear that there is this rolled buttercream that tastes so much better (I will try that next time).

CAKE - There is a 12”, 2 layer cake in the middle – if I were to do this again I would make it higher (more layers). I was going to put a square cake on top of that, but ran out of time and make shifted a square out of a confectioner’s sugar box and covered with rolled fondant.

TURRETS - The bottoms of the turrets are: small Arizona iced tea cans (around the base of the cake), a toilet paper roll (the short one in the middle), and a paper towel roll (the tall one). The middle of the turrets (where the band of gold ribbon is) is the wafer ice cream cones. And of course the pointy tops of the turrets are the sugar cones. If you wanted to make these edible you could bake a cake, cut pieces out with a straight biscuit cutter and glue together with icing – or glue sandwich cookies together – or bake the cake in soup or beer cans – there are numerous choices.

GOLD – I heard about this Gold Dust / Luster Dust that is edible and I wanted to use that. I was 4 days away from the party when I heard about it so I couldn’t order it online without paying an arm and a leg and a kidney and a liver….. I called a bunch of places in the area and only found one place that sells it. I sent my mother to get it, but what she came back with was a bronze gold, and it in no way matched the bright gold accessories I had already bought. So instead I used sparkly gold glitter paint, gold wire and gold ribbon for the accents.

FLOATS – I basically used styrofoam, foam board, sparkly gold paint, gold wire, gold ribbon and flowers.

OH, I almost forgot, the front center of the castle is foam board covered with fondant – being this is my first time using fondant, I wasn’t sure that if I made the front of only fondant that it would stand on its own, so I backed it with foam board.

Of course for a week or so before the party I ate, breathed and lived castle cake... thinking 24/7 of anything and everything I could do to get this done. The party was supposed to be on sunday 2/12, but a blizzard came on saturday night, dumping a ton of snow. You can imagine my anguish when I heard the blizzard was coming!! Luckily the hall that was reserved was available, so we only postponed the party to monday evening.

This cake was done for my darling niece's first birthday - we recently went to WDW in November and she just flipped over all of the characters... I have her hooked! Really, she is like a daughter to me and now we have this even tighter bond.... Disney!

WOW! What a great cake...I think I'll try this for my youngest DD's 3rd Bday! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter