Disney Past- A Tribute to My Disney Dad

lazydoxy66

Live, love, and laugh!
Welcome All!
My father passed away in March of this year. :( As we were going through his things I ran across many photos of us and our travels. I thought I would share some of DL and WDW pics with my fellow DISers. I've not done a lot of the picture thing yet, so bare with me. This will be good practice for my PTR!

Preface:
My dad, Bill, was born in 1943 in a small town in Indiana. He lived there all his life with the exception of his college years. He was a middle child stuck between 2 sisters. I think this is what made him a patient and understanding man.

The picture below, circa 1950, shows just how serious this guy was about his fun time. YEEHAW!!
DadandDisney1975002.jpg

My DISdad raised my brother and me by himself. He never seemed to let anything get him down. He worked a blue collar job 5 - 6 days a week, sometimes 10 -12 hours a day. It wasn't easy. So when it was time for vacation, we always traveled away from it all.
We had some generous, loving family members too. My dad's uncles especially liked having him around. Uncle Dick and Aunt Vada lived in California. In 1975, Uncle Rex said, 'Let's go visit DL with the kids.' Uncle Rex helped foot the bill, Dick and Vada said come on out, and we were off.
I can't remember every detail of our adventures, but I know the jets were a lot bigger then! They didn't seem to be as full of people either.???
This is the gang in California. Uncle Rex, Dad, Me, Uncle Dick, My brother and Aunt Vada.
DadandDisney1975001.jpg

I am 9yrs old and my brother is 7yrs old.

O.K. here's some memory jerkers. I'm going to take it that my brother and I liked Snow White and the Dwarfs a lot.
The Grand Entrance!
DadandDisney1975003.jpg

Love the Gilligan look.
Disney1975001-1.jpg

Here's White and Company
Disney1975003.jpg
Disney1975004-1.jpg

Disney1975005.jpg

:offtopic: I just gotta say Photobucket is great!

I wonder if this fountain is still there? Someone will have to let me know. I haven't been to DL since 1984. I don't remember if it was there then or not.
Disney1975002.jpg

Disney1975015.jpg

Alice and the Walrus
Disney1975006.jpg

Will ya' look at this. This really makes me want to be at Disney right now. What a classic!!!::yes::
Disney1975013.jpg

Disney1975014.jpg

Disney1975007.jpg

Disney1975008.jpg

Disney1975012.jpg

Disney1975009.jpg

Disney1975010.jpg

I think that's it for DL '75. I know we went to WDW in '76 or '77. I'm pretty sure we went back to DL in '78. But I couldn't find any pics for those trips. DARN! So next we will jump to WDW '87.

I went to college in Ft. Lauderdale. So when my DDad and Uncle Rex came to vistit one summer, we went to WDW - specifically EPCOT. We stayed on Disney property at the Fairway Villas. And please remember, it's the '80s. Absolutely no laughing at my attire or hair!:lmao:
Disney1987001-1.jpg

I got the loft bedroom.
Disney1987004.jpg

Their bedroom on the 2nd floor.
Disney1987005.jpg

Disney1987002.jpg

DU making out post cards.
Disney1987003-1.jpg

I know that this paddle wheel replica used to have a fancy French restaurant at the top. Don't know what it is now.
Disney1987006.jpg

Disney1987007-1-1.jpg

EPCOT, Me and DD
Disney1987008.jpg

Disney1987009.jpg

Me and DU
Disney1987010-1.jpg

That's all for 1987. On to 1989 - lots of pics.

Your report brought tears to my eyes. I grew up in the 80s too, so I can totally relate to your look. I am sorry about your dad. He must have been pretty young. Good for him that he created such wonderful memories for you and your brother.

What an awesome tribute to your dad! I lost my dad a few years ago, and while going through our pictures was helpful, at the same time it hurt so badly. Keep sharing! I'll be more than happy to cry right along with you. :goodvibes

thank you so much for sharing these. your story brings tears to my eyes. i am so very sorry for your loss. what a blessing that you have such valued memories of your dad and these vacations. i, as a parent who chooses to take their hard earned money and spend time with their kids at WDW, only hope that my kids someday look back on the memories we are building together on these trips as fondly as you are looking back on yours now.

- lori

This was my and my Disney dad's final trip to WDW.:sad: :sad: Our last trip together to the World. I had an absolute blast. So did Dad. Guess what? We did this trip with no planning.:eek: I don't think it was really necessary then. I can remember more about this trip since it wasn't that many B-days ago.
We stayed at the Buena Vista Villas. (Now Boardwalk Villas/Inn) We went at the end of July. We stayed a week. It was so slow, Disney offered us a second week 1/2 off. We couldn't take advantage of it though. I believe, for 7 days, it cost the 2 of us around $1400. Dining and kitchen plus view off patio.
Disney1989008.jpg

I took the loft bedroom again. That's DD standing up there.
Disney1989002.jpg

Hide-away bed and living room. My room.
Disney1989003.jpg

I appreciate your support. It is very nice to have people to share my experiences with. DD was 64 when he passed. His 65th was the beginning of May. He went quick. No suffering. That's what I focus on. That and the great memories he created.

I must have gotten burnt out on the MK thing in the 70's. This trip was spent at EPCOT and MGM Studios. (This was it's debut year.) We found out that EP was never busy in the mornings at the World Showcase and if you wanted to eat in any of the restaurants at EP, you had to make ressies at the park via phones with tv monitors. I thought it was cool at the time.
Disney1989012.jpg

Dad in front of a future El Camino type car. I don't know what that green thing I'm wearing is! I evidently didn't look in the mirror that morning.
Disney1989014.jpg

What a beautiful day it was!:cool2:
Disney1989015.jpg

We ate at the Beirgarten for lunch and Akershus for dinner. Akershus didn't have the character meal then. Both restaurants were great. My 2 favorites were the mashed rutabaga at Akershus and the Beck's pint at Beirgarten. Dad said Great grandma used to make the rutabaga a lot. She was Swedish. I also loved Belangerie (spelling?) We had supper at the R&C too. The rest the time we ate at the villa. Brought our own steaks and cooked them on a grill on the patio. We used the bus system and other than one breakdown(got very warm), it worked out great. All I remember thinking is,'What a great set up'. Everything was so convenient. O.K. more pics.
Disney1989005.jpg

Disney1989007.jpg

Disney1989020.jpg

Polka, anyone?
Disney1989021.jpg

Disney1989022.jpg

Disney1989023.jpg

Disney1989024.jpg

We ate with several other people at one large table in the Biergarten. It was so much fun. The people at our table were very friendly. Do you think it was the Beck's?
Disney1989019.jpg

Norway, Akershus, China
Disney1989018.jpg

Mexico Pavilion
Disney1989016.jpg

Disney1989017.jpg

Japan
Disney1989025.jpg

The Lagoon at England
Disney1989029.jpg

Morocco
Disney1989028.jpg

England, Japan, Morocco and Eeyore. Oh, My!:hyper:
Disney1989026.jpg

Canada
Disney1989033.jpg

All aboard!
Disney1989031.jpg

As you can see by my pictures - Not very busy. Especially early in the morning. World Showcase, to me, was beautiful and awe inspiring. I've never been out of the US. Don't know if I will ever truly go oversees. At least I can get a glimpse of the world at Disney's EP.

:banana: I absolutely loved this dinner show!!:banana: DH and I will be doing 'Spirit of Aloha' this Sept. I hope it is still worth the money. I think it only cost us $20 or $25 at the time. But I got FREE DINING for Sept. :laughing: :laughing:
So who cares about the money. You should have seen the look on my DDad's face when I told him about the free dining offer. He asked how I managed it. I told him it was thanks to my DISbuds.
Here's DD at the Poly.
Disney1989009.jpg

The band played while we ate. Then, when were about done, the show started.
Disney1989010.jpg

DD with his drink.
Disney1989011.jpg

The Flame Dancer.
Disney1989013.jpg

Now known as Disney Hollywood Studios today, this was the star attraction in '89. I'm almost sure that we got in on a discounted price because some of the rides/events weren't up and running yet.
Disney1989034.jpg

Disney1989035.jpg

Disney1989036.jpg

Disney1989037.jpg

This is my 'Gotta do it again' pick. I liked walking into my grandma's kitchen. Man did this place bring back memories. Our waiter was hilarious. At first DDad and I were caught off guard. We settled in pretty quickly. I just remember my waiter cousin telling me if I didn't eat my veggies, I was going to have to do the dishes!
You have to go in here with the right frame of mind and play along.
Disney1989038.jpg

The only thing I remember from my meal is the shake - Peanut Butter Cheesecake.
Disney1989039.jpg

Disney1989040.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!