Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the gist of this tweet and others with it say that folks who transferred from DCA to Star Wars Land in DLC lost their seniority and are at risk of being laid off because of it. That’s heartbreaking if it is true.
The CM’s I know say that shouldn’t be the case. Unless an hourly CM changes from full time to part time, or part time to full time, they keep their seniority. Even if they change from something like attractions to merchandise, or custodial to food and Bev.

The CM’s I know say that shouldn’t be the case. Unless an hourly CM changes from full time to part time, or part time to full time, they keep their seniority. Even if they change from something like attractions to merchandise, or custodial to food and Bev.

Are you talking WDW CMs or California? Because this is DCA/DLC specific and the person I shared is fairly reliable for this kind of thing.

edit: it even states that those that moved within DL were fine and retained seniority.

Disney deals with multiple unions across both of its US campuses, and all of those agreements are different. It does not surprise me that they would have different agreements in FL vs CA.

State, city and county laws, along with other things, would make it almost impossible for the unions to have the same agreements. There's no way those states have similar stuff.

What do you mean? The transfer and loss of seniority? That happens in many professions.

But, it was because of the union contract that they lost seniority, right? My understanding is they didn't lose seniority if they transferred from within Disneyland under the same union contract. I know union stuff, especially in CA, can be very complicated.

But, it was because of the union contract that they lost seniority, right? My understanding is they didn't lose seniority if they transferred from within Disneyland under the same union contract. I know union stuff, especially in CA, can be very complicated.
I believe so but I was just saying this isn't specific to this union. You will see loss of seniority if many professions not just here. For example a teacher may lose seniority by changing schools or something like that.

I believe so but I was just saying this isn't specific to this union. You will see loss of seniority if many professions not just here. For example a teacher may lose seniority by changing schools or something like that.

Yeah, but it seems to me that it isn't a "Disney thing" but more of a union thing. CMs wouldn't lose seniority transferring within Disney most of the time, or at least I think so.

Were the transfers and loss of seniority mandatory moves, or moves that the CMs opted for? I am not saying it doesn't still stink, but I am curious.

Were the transfers and loss of seniority mandatory moves, or moves that the CMs opted for? I am not saying it doesn't still stink, but I am curious.
These were transfers to the opening of SWGE. Disney always allows CMs to transfer to new lands if they wish. Being part of an opening team for a land or attraction is considered a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter