Disney or bust! PoohGal05 and family take on WDW ~ June 8 ~ 14, 2016

PoohGal05

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We returned from our trip to WDW this week! I have been posting happenings and pictures every day from my phone so I could remember everything. I have yet to complete a trip report, so here I am to do just that. I still have a couple of days off from work, so I am planning on doing this trip report in its entirety. As soon as I figure how to do the pictures from my lap top, I'll add those in too!

So here goes. The cast of characters is me: I'm Angi. I'm a single mom to Onesimus, age 7 and going into the 3rd grade when school starts. Then there is my mom, Ruth, age whatever she wants to be on any given day! We booked our trip with a local travel age in October 2015. This is our 10th trip to Disney and we wanted to do a few things different.

On every previous trips, we have stayed at All Star Movies. Love the resort and layout. Mom and I decided we wanted to try the newest baby on the block, Art of Animation. Since my mom retired a couple of years ago, we couldn't really justify spending the difference in price between AoA and Movies, but we did want to try something different. So we decided POP was a good compromise. We also decided not to book airfare, waiting to see if it would come down, so I started watching the different airlines we liked. Before we could make ADRs, right after we booked our trip, mom and I sat down and created a spread sheet for dinings. We looked at menus. We looked at menus from the official WDW website and some other websites. That also helped determine what parks we would go to on what day. In early December, I called Disney World dining and m ade reservations. I attempted to make reservations online, but was only able to make one. So I called. Got everything we wanted at the times I asked for.

In late January we were at a friend's birthday party and we were talking about our summer trip to Disney. I was asked if we had booked our airfare. I said we hadn't as I was waiting for my income tax return to book. It was suggested to me to drive from Oklahoma to Dallas and catch our flight from there. It's cheaper and we could get a direct flight. I mulled that over, then suggested to my mom. I told her I could get us there since phones now have GPS. She asked us where we would stay, as in the night. I told her we could talk to our TA and maybe she could suggest something. The next day, I called our TA and told her what we had talked about doing. She said she would look into where we could stay. In the meantime, I looked at the closest airport we would be flying out of, which turned out to be Dallas Love Field and we had decided to fly SWA. I looked at hotels closest to Love Field. I found a couple and we went to talk to our TA. I had also filed my income tax and had received my refund. I had checked SWA for the get away fares and they seemed reasonable. We were able to get fares for each of us for under $283. I was stoked! When we went to talk to our TA, she said that was a great deal! So we booked our airfare and hotel for June 7 going and June 14 returning.

At 60 days, I booked FassPasses and at 30 days I checked us in. We purchased clothes within a month of departures. At 3 weeks, we didn't have our DME tags, so I called DME and they sent us some more. I called our TA and told her I had called DME. She also called and requested more on our behalf. As I had been reading about TSA, while I was on the phone with DME, I requested an early pickup on our return trip. Wasn't a problem. So instead of being picked up at 8:35 am, we would be picked up at 7:25 am from POP.

Two weeks before departure, still no DME tags, so I called our TA. She was able to find out when they had been mailed and when they should arrive. The Saturday before Memorial Day, a set of tags arrived to me. The following Tuesday, an additional set arrived. The Friday before we were to leave, I get a text from our TA and a set arrives at HER office. So we now had 3 sets of DME tags! Better more than enough than none at all! I worked half a day the Friday before we left and we did some last minute running around. We had already ironed and packed, so really we were just cramming more stuff into our suitcases. My brother came and picked up our puppy the Saturday before we left. On Sunday, I tided up the house (which is funny that I do that since no one was going to be here) and cleaned out the refrigerator. On Monday, my son had an early doctor's appointment. Afterwards, my awesome hairdresser opened her shop so I could get my hair done (Onesimus had gotten a hair cut the Friday before from his barber and Mom had gotten hers done the last week of school, as she keeps my son while I work). Onesimus had another appointment at 4:00 that afternoon.

After appointments, we came home, ate dinner, then put the suitcases in the car, then took baths/showers to get ready for our 3 hour trip the next morning.

Tuesday morning, the last of everything went into carryons, and I ran to McDonald's to pick up breakfast. We ate some, as I think everyone was excited and ready to go. We locked the house, then headed out EARLY. Our plan was to leave at 9:00 am heading to Dallas, but we were just getting antsy, so my mom asked if we could leave early. I said might as well. We locked the door and headed out.

DISNEY OR BUST!

June 8 ~ Travel Day

We're off to Disney World today! Our plan was to get up at 2:00 for Mom and me and wake up Onesimus, King of the Grumps at 2:30 am (betcha didn't know there was an AM)! Anyway, I woke up sooner that planned. Onesimus slept with me and I swear he runs the decathlon in his sleep. He kicked me awake at 12:30! My mom offered me to get on bed with her if Onesimus got rowdy. So I went and got in bed with her. She woke up and we layed and giggled for over an hour until the alarm phone went off. We got dressed, then I woke up His Majesty! He got dressed. Mom and I shifted some stuff around in our suitcases, then I went downstairs to get a luggage cart. We loaded the cart with the stuff we'd brought in from the afternoon before, then headed downstairs. I'd already paid when we checked in, so we loaded the car, set the GPS for the off airport parking destination and were off. Tool us about 5 minutes. Got into the lot, parked the car and in no time there was a bus. We unloaded the car, the driver took our bags to the bus and off we were to the airport. We're here waiting as the self kiosks don't come up until 4:00. There are a few people here. While we're waiting, my mom looked at her boarding pass I'd printed at home. She had a different position that Onesimus and I. She called me over and pointed something out. My mom, that lucky duck, had TSA pre check! I checked mine and Onesimus. No such luck! But hopefully with an early flight, TSA won't be too bad!

At 4:00, the self check kiosks came up and I checked myself and Onesimus in, since we had the same reservation number. Even though I booked our reservations at the same time with our TA, my mom had a different reservation number. I was able to print off tags for everyone, as well as new boarding passes, even though I had printed them at home when I did the 24 hour check in the day beforeot. I had trouble getting the bag tags on the bag. Someone with the airlines came over and helped me get the tags onto the bags. I wasn't worried about whether the right tags got on the right bags since they were going to the same place anyway. I checked our bags in with the airlines, had our IDs checked, then we were off to security. My mom went through TSA pre check while Onesimus and I got in the regular line. There weren't many people in front of us, so it really didn't take us long, maybe 15 minutes, to get through. Onesimus didn't have to remove his shoes because of his age.

After we got through security, my mom was no where to be found. I tried to call her, but got no answer. So we waited for a bit. In a minute or so, my mom called me and told me she was already at the gate. So we headed that way. When we got there, mom said she was hungry. It was too early for me to eat, but we walked down to one of the kiosks so she could get something to eat. She ended up with a banana and I got one for Onesimus. They got a cup of fruit and we walked back to the gate. We sat down to eat. About 30 minutes before take off, SW started boarding. The flip side (to me anyway) was with my mom getting pre check, she had a later boarding position than me and Onesimus. She had B 45. Onesimus and I had B 12 and 14. I told her we would save her a seat. Onesimus and I boarded and found 3 seats towards the middle. We held a seat for my mom and before long she was on board. She saw us and came back to where we were. Onesimus insisted on sitting next to the window even though that's where my mom likes to sit. I was in the middle and mom was in the aisle.

We took off and what seemed like no time, we were getting ready to land! Love a direct flight!

We deplanned and headed down to Magical Express. I noticed right away that there are no counters. There were CMs standing outside the lanes scanning bands and ushering guests into their lanes for their resorts. My band was scanned and were ushered into our lane. Within minutes we were on our bus headed to our resort!

Shortly after we passed under 'the sign', we were at our resort, our home for the week! I had checked us in online, but since we were so early, I hadn't received a text or email letting me know our room was ready, so I went to the desk. It still took us just as long standing at the desk as it would have if I hadn't checked in online. I was told we would be in the 90's section. We went to the food court/gift shop to get out mugs. We went to the counter and attempted to have my band scanned. My pin didn't work. I tried again. Still didn't work. The CM had to call a manager. She asked me to reset my pin on the MDE app, which I did. The manager did something and were able to get the mugs. I was told to go back to check in and get them to reset the pin at the desk as well. So back to the desk I went. I explained to the CM that checked us in that my pin wasn't working and I needed it to be reset. She worked her magic and everything was fixed.

We went outside and sat for a while, walked around the resort. Onesimus wanted to see the playground. We walked around trying to find it and never could. I let Onesimus play games on my phone for a while. It was humid already!

We finally received a text saying our room was ready, we headed that way. We'd been in Room about 15 or 20 minutes, there was a knock on the door. It was our luggage being delivered. I did what I do at Disney, which is unpack. I layed mine and Onesimus' matching outfits for Thursday. We hung around the room attempting to regroup until my mom said, 'Let's go.' After we got Onesimus back in his shoes and socks, we headed to the bus stop to Hollywood Studios. A bus came in about 10 minutes. Arrived at Hollywood Studios with plans to ride Star Wars. The ride, however, had a standby time of an hour. So I convinced Onesimus to ride The Great Movie Ride, especially since he was clamoring about wanting to ride the Tower of Terror. Not an exciting ride, but it got us out of the humidity and eventually off of our feet. After the ride, we walked over to 50's Prime Time Cafe to ask about getting in earlier than our reservation. It was 3:45 and we were hungry since we'd just snacked all day. I had tried to modify our reservations on the My Disney app, which kept saying there was nothing available. I decided I was going to ask. I walked up to the podium and asked. The CM said they were slow and could get us in. So I checked us in, then went to get the family. We waited about 15 minutes in the living room before he heard, 'Garner kids! Time for dinner!' We were seated at our table and ordered drinks. We already knew what we wanted and ordered entrees. Mom got the fried chicken with corn on the cob, I got the pot roast with carrots, celery and mashed potatoes, and Onesimus got the baked chicken with corn and mashed potatoes. We also ordered appetizers. We got apples, grapes, and herb cheese and chicken noodle soup. I ate most of it. The food came in a reasonable amount of time. I think the recipe for food has changed though. My mom said the chicken didn't taste the same as last time. I thought my pot roast was slightly overcooked. We each ate about half, then ordered dessert. Mom got the pineapple upside down cake and I got the apple crisp with ice cream. Onesimus got the fruit. After we waited for our band to be scanned, Onesimus was starting to get antsy. I kept having to talk him down. Our cousin made an appearance and started clearing a nearby table. Onesimus insisted that he needed to talk to her. I told him I would. He put his hand over mine and when he caught her eye, he said, 'Excuse me. We're finished here.' He was polite about it. We signed the check, then left heading for the bus.

June 9 ~ Magic Kingdom day

Today was our Magic Kingdom day! We had scheduled Crystal Palace with Pooh and friends for breakfast. In all of every 9 previous trips to Disney World, Crystal Palace is the one place we have always done. The food is always good and the character interaction is the best.

We got up and got dressed in our matching Pooh and friends shirt from a previous trip and headed out the door. It was looking cloudy. We boarded the bus and headed to Magic Kingdom. It was extra magic hour and the bus line was busy already. As headed towards a cast member who was holding a clipboard for pre-park dinings. We checked in and allowed in. While I was standing in line to tap by badge. It started sprinkling. Then the rains came down! Everyone in line started digging for ponchos and umbrellas. It was raining cats and dogs. By the time we got through the line, it had slowed up, beadedut coming down at a pretty good pace. We found my mom who had gone through another line and we headed towards Crystal Palace. We went on the porch and checked in. They took my cell phone number and told me I would receive a text when our table was ready. So we went and sat down. In a few minutes, I received a text saying our table was ready. We were shown to our table and told who our server would be. Her name was Sami. Sami came to our table, asked if we had ever been there before, which we had. She took our drink orders, then told us how the characters would come. After she left, I asked Onesimus what he wanted to eat. He wanted some eggs. So I headed off to the buffet. I got him some yogurt, scrambled eggs, some fruit, and pancakes. I took it to the table and then went back for my plate. When I came back, my mom went and got her plate. She was on the hunt for watermelon. They didn't have any, she announced when she returned to the table.

Characters came around in a timely fashion ~ Tigger, Piglget, then Rabbit. Rabbit was new in the cast line up. Who I discovered later was missing was Eeyore. I never saw him. I also didn't see Pooh making the rounds. I saw him on our way out standing near the front.

After all of the characters made their rounds, we had my band tapped to pay for breakfast. It was EMH at Magic Kingdom and it was already starting to get busy. After we had my band tapped to pay for breakfast, we headed out to the park. We had only a few hours to get some rides in before we had to leave the park headed for the Contemporary Resort for brunch at Chef Mickey's.

We had a FassPasses for the Haunted Mansion, so off we went. We rode The Flying Carpets, Pirates of the Carribean,e It's a Small World and Mickey's Philharmagic. By the the time we got around to all of those, it was time to leave for Chef Mickey's.

We went up to the monorail platform and were off to the Contemporary. We checked in at noon and were seated within a few minutes. We were asked if we had eaten there before, I told our hostess that Mom and I hadn't eaten there since our first trip in 2003. He said, 'Welcome back!' He noticed that we were all wearing our birthday buttons and wished us a Happy Birthday. He mentioned that it was Donald's birthday as well. Our server arrived to the table, wished us Happy Birthday and took our drink order. She came back with our drinks, told us how the characters would travel, then explained about the buffet. After she left, I went to the buffet to get Onesimus' his plate. He had been saying he wanted chicken nuggets and chicken nuggets were on the buffet. There were breakfast items on the buffet too I took the plate back to Onesimus and went back to get my plate. I went back to the table and mom went and got a plate for herself. We ate, then Onesimus wanted something else. I told him there were scrambled eggs on the buffet. He said he wanted some, so back I went. I brought his plate back and went back to get something for myself. Mom went and got something else too. The characters came around in a timely fashion for autographs and pictures. The CM checked on us often. At some point she brought us cupcakes and birthday cards signed by all of the characters. After we had eaten our fill, I had my band tapped to pay for brunch.

We went up to the platform to catch the monorail back to Magic Kingdom. We went through bag check and security, We had FassPasses for Peter Pan's Flight and we headed for that. It's been a long time since I have rode this one and it's a fun ride, flying in a ship over London. We also rode Pooh's adventure. I don't remember us riding too much in the afternoon. We had to make sure we left early enough to catch a boat launch to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds for Hoop de Doo Musical Revue.

June 9 (continued) ~ Hoop de Doo Revue

We did Hoop De Doo Revue for dinner Thursday night. It took us about 29 minutes to get a boat launch from. Magic Kingdom to Fort Wilderness campgrounds. We waited for a boat where we could sit. As we were waiting, a family with a stroller came up and asked if the boat was full. I said it looked like it since there were people standing. I said we were waiting for a boat where we could sit. The lady she'd be willing to stand. Without missing a beat, Onesimus said, 'I'd be willing to sit.' LOL. So anyway, that boat took off and we waited for the next boat. We got over to the camp grounds around 5:30 and checked in. The 4:00 show was still going on as we waited outside. It was past the 6:15 time before we were let in. While we waited, Onesimus ran back and forth in the puddles from the 2 plus hour afternoon rain. We let him because he needed to burn off the energy he said. He did sit down with his tablet while we waited to b email let in. We were finally let in, showed to our table. Salas in a bucket and cornbread with butter were already on the table. The show started after about 15 or 20 minutes. Onesimus ate most of the cornbread by himself, as he was starving he said. He asked if he could have more. I n told him I'd ask our server when she came by again. When she did and Onesimus saw her, he politely asked, 'Can we have some more cornbread please?' I'm always surprised when Onesimus is polite. He's 7 a day not always, and we've tried to instill politeness goes a long way. Anyway, it took our server some time, but the cornbread finally arrived. I had also asked if Onesimus could have a hot dog instead of what the menu was because I knew he wouldn't eat (and I read if you ask, they can usually accommodate). He got a hot dog and French fries. There was mashed potatoes and corn and beans. Another table had Mac and cheese. I asked our server about it. She said because Onesimus had gotten the hot dog, we couldn't get the mac and cheese. I said okay. A minute later, our server comes back and whispers to me she was bringing us Mac and cheese. Not long after, it arrived at our table. Onesimus will only eat Mac and cheese that has elbow pasta. He tried some and scarfed it down. In the meantime, between courses, the show was going on. While we were eating, one of the Pioneer Hall players came to our table and asked us whose birthday it was. Onesimus said, 'It's all of our birthdays. Hers is in January, mine is in August and hers is in April!' The player from the show told us they were going to do birthdays soon as bad to raise our hands so we could be recognized. She had asked our names and ages. I had wondered how they were going to do that since Onesimus' name gets butchered often. So the part of the as show where birthdays are recognized came, then players were standing by tables. We raised our hand and the nearest player came to our table and said, 'I have Angi, Onesimus, and Ruth celebrating their birthdays!' She asked how old we were. I said 47, Onesimus said 8. When she got to my mom, my mom said her age. I guess the player didn't here her, and my mom didn't repeat it. The player said, 'This is Disney. You can be whatever age you want to be.' Onesimus, never wanting to be left out and always wanting to help his Nano out of a pickle, yelled, 'She's 36!' My mom yelled back, 'There ya go!' All in all, it was a good show. The jokes were corny, but funny! Lots of audience participation and napkin twirling. Onesimus watched the show and never got bored, another surprise. Towards the end of the show, old fashioned washboard were brought to the table and while the players sang and dance around the room then kids followed with washboard and spoons. Onesimus joined in! It was great! He said it was the best part of the day!

June 10 ~ Animal Kingdom day

Good morning everyone. On our Animal Kingdom day, we started with breakfast at Tusker House with Safari Mickey and friends. We were able to get into the park before it opened because we had reservations. We even got in before our ADR time, which was scheduled for 8:35! We were seated, explained how the characters would come to the table and our drink orders were taken. Onesimus told our server, "I need coffee." The server looked at Onesimus and told him, ' You don't look like someone who needs coffee.' LOL. So anyway, I went to the buffet and got Onesimus a plate, brought it back to the table and went back to get mine. I started light since we'd had three table services the day before. After I ate, I went back to get something that I'd missed. While I was in line, the server comes to me and says, ' You have about a minute and a half on the Duck.' Donald was a couple of tables from ours. So I left the line and headed back to the table. Sure enough, he was at the table next to ours. My mom told me I'd made it just in time. I told her our server had come and got me and said I had a minute and a half on the duck. She thought that was funny! Donald came to the table and, did pictures and autographs and was on his way. Everyone else made their way around doing the same. Our check was brought to us and a Magic Band was tapped to pay for breakfast. Breakfast was good. So we went for our first adventure. Onesimus wanted to see some animals, so we did a walking trails. By the time we finished that, it was time for our first FassPass, Festival of the Lion King. Love this show! I do miss it being in Camp Minnie Mickey though.

After we saw FOTLK, Onesimus came out saying he needed to go to the bathroom. This was starting to be a theme. So he went, then back to where we were standing, right in front of the bathroom. Mom said she had to go, so Onesimus and I waited for her. There was an area right in front of the gift shops where some of the African dancers were dancing. They had pulled some volunteers from the audience, teaching some dance steps. Afterwards, some ladies were pulled from the audience. As it turned out, those that were pulled were wearing birthday buttons. I had mine, so I got pulled. Onesimus was sitting on the ground, but he was more than happy to shove me forward! The dancers taught us some moves and some words in their language. Then they taught us some dance moves. Lemme tell ya, I got my shimmy on! Onesimus was sitting in front of me grinning from ear to ear! No pictures though and mom was still in the bathroom. She arrived back after my Disney dancing debut!

After that we headed for Kilaminjaro Safaris. We thought we could get in on standby by, but it had a 75 wait time! Uh no! So we headed over to Dinoland for, for our FassPasses for Dinosaur. Onesimus screamed his head off, which he didn't do last trip! When we got off, he deemed that the best ride ever! Onesimus wanted to ride it again, but my mom didn't. Standby was 15 minutes, so we got back in line. Walked through the line, got to the part of the line where you turn to go down the stairs, but didn't get directed that way. The CM told us to wait right there, then ran past us. She came back, opened an exit at the end of the hall. It was into the gift shop. We were given FassPasses to ride any ride in the park. I guess Dinosaur was down.

Since we were over by Dinoland, so we ride a dinosaur ride they looks like Dumbo. Afterwards, it was time for lunch. So we walked back across the park to Pizzafari. It was NUTS! I've never seen it so busy! I hopped in a line after knowing what mom and Onesimus wanted. I ordered a cheese pizza and Caesar salad for me, a cheese pizza and substituted grapes for my mom and a kids cheese pizza, carrots, and grapes for Onesimus. For the desserts I asked for tiramisu and chocolate mousse. I bet I was in line standing, ordering and getting food for 35 minutes. Finally got the trays, my mom arrived to help me carry them to the table. When we got to the table, Onesimus didn't have his drink. So back to the counter I went. Since there was a queue, I walked through. I had the receipt and told the CM I didn't get one of the drinks. She told me to go to the counter at the far left. I couldn't even GET to the counter, as there were people waiting to get there food. So I went back to the table. Soon as I got back, Mom informed me a dessert was missing! So back to the counter I went. I went through the queue again and told the same CM I couldn't get to the counter to get my drink and now I had a dessert missing. She said, 'I'll be right back.' She went through the kitchen door. A few minutes later she comes back with a regular size drink (instead of the child drink) plus the missing dessert. So I went back to the table for lunch. With all of the back and forth to the counter, our food had gotten cold. Onesimus had eaten his. I gave him some of mine. I think Pizzafari must be doing something different with their pizza because it just wasn't good. We'll with as long gone as lunch took, we'd missed our FassPasses for Kilaminjaro Safaris and it had gotten to look good to do standby.

My mom said she wanted a carmel apple. There was a sweet shop in Harambe, so we walked over there. As we were looking in the cases, one of the CMs behind the counter asked Onesimus, 'Is it your birthday?' Onesimus said, 'Yes. My birthday is August 5.' She asked him, 'How old will you be?' Onesimus said, '8.' She said, 'Happy Birthday!' She then presented him with a carmel apple, already in a box! Onesimus' eyes got huge! In my mom reminder voice, I said, 'Onesimus what do you say?' He found his voice and said, 'Thank you.' The lady asked Onesimus if he wanted her to cut it up so he could share. My mom and I said we would be getting one so he didn't have to share.

Now we were tired and the skies looked like they were going to open up, so we headed back to the resort. By the time we got back to the resort, it had started raining. He hung out in the room for about an hour, then decided to head to the food court for dinner. It was raining like crazy when we left our room. I got a chicken pot pie, Onesimus got a monster size sluce.of pepperoni pizza and mom got a slice of cheese pizza. Momma ate a few bites of hers, then said she was done. My chicken pot pie was good.

All in all, a pretty good day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter