Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could still use a smart TV (if you have one), or a Roku is under $30 and they are great.
So if I have a smart TV that I can download streaming apps like Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Crackle etc. I shouldn't need to buy any addition equipment? I am new to the streaming thing and DH and I want to pull the plug on cable.

So if I have a smart TV that I can download streaming apps like Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Crackle etc. I shouldn't need to buy any addition equipment? I am new to the streaming thing and DH and I want to pull the plug on cable.
Without knowing your exact tv model, I would say no, you probably don’t need additional equipment. With our smart tv, it came “preloaded” with the most common apps like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and Amazon. But that list of apps that pulls up when you hit “source” (or whatever the button is on your remote) is actually customizable. You can delete the preloaded apps or add new ones. To add new ones on our tv, there is actually a generic “Apps” choice, and then it takes you to a bazillion apps to choose from. I suspect Disney+ will show up there when the time is right.

We cut cable about 5 years ago, and while it was weird at first, I can’t imagine going back now. We had a Sling trial for awhile, mostly for news, and did not like it, because we aren’t used to having to watch tv on a schedule, lol! Funny, considering I spent half my life counting down to Thursday night tv on NBC.

Can I ask where you found the TV requirements? I apologize if its in this thread and I missed it. I see you are talking about Roku, but I don't have that on my TV which is less than a year old. Is it an app I can download or is it only a device? I don't stream a lot but we are seriously getting ready to pull the plug on cable, and I am considering the promo. Any assistance and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

We pulled the plug on cable almost 2 years ago, have never been more happy with a decision then this!!!

I know this probably a dumb question BUT how many people can stream on Disney+ at one time??? We signed up for the 3 year prescription and currently we have Netflix and I believe 4 people can steam. Thank you

You could still use a smart TV (if you have one), or a Roku is under $30 and they are great.

Thank you for this. When I saw someone post that it was only hand held devices I panicked because I already signed up for 3 years. We have a smart TV and a 7 year old TV with Roku, so if we can watch on those, I am very happy!

Reactions: EmJ
We pulled the plug on cable almost 2 years ago, have never been more happy with a decision then this!!!
We have been talking about it for that long. I would have pulled the plug ages ago, DH says yes but when I try to get him to stream he gets frustrated with the searching and reverts back to cable. He promises me in November. We will see.

Worst part is we have only 1 choice for internet. The cable company is the only one in my area with high speed that is any good. Fios is out at the highway and the new development next to ours but they won't run it into our development (which is crazy - we have 600 houses). My neighbor got DSL and had them back the same day to pull it out of the house it was so bad. So we will cancel phone (yes we still have a landline and TV and just keep the 100mb internet.

We have been talking about it for that long. I would have pulled the plug ages ago, DH says yes but when I try to get him to stream he gets frustrated with the searching and reverts back to cable. He promises me in November. We will see.

Worst part is we have only 1 choice for internet. The cable company is the only one in my area with high speed that is any good. Fios is out at the highway and the new development next to ours but they won't run it into our development (which is crazy - we have 600 houses). My neighbor got DSL and had them back the same day to pull it out of the house it was so bad. So we will cancel phone (yes we still have a landline and TV and just keep the 100mb internet.

I kept our landline after we cancelled cable. I have phone service thru OOMA, which costs around $5/month. Another great decision we made.

I kept our landline after we cancelled cable. I have phone service thru OOMA, which costs around $5/month. Another great decision we made.
That is a thought, just to have something as a back up; but currently my brother and MIL are the only 2 people who call us on it. The other 27 calls a day are robo calls. :confused3

Thank you for this. When I saw someone post that it was only hand held devices I panicked because I already signed up for 3 years. We have a smart TV and a 7 year old TV with Roku, so if we can watch on those, I am very happy!
I was the one who made the hand held device comment in regards to only being able to download the app on my phone since it’s not (as of now) going to be available on fire stick

I have a Roku, have never had a fire stick.

This isn't aimed directly at you, but there seems to be a lot of pushback from the fire stick users. I understand the fire stick doesn't support Disney+ at this point, but why does that preclude you from getting it?

I think Rokus are about $20ish when they go on sale, which is often. Is it just a matter of principle?

I'd just go buy a fire stick if Roku didn't support Disney+.

Disney+ just seems so awesome I wouldn't want to miss out.

I bought a Roku stick with some Kohl's cash I acquired because I was NOT going to miss out on my pre-paid Disney+ subscription. I had a fire stick, but this was important to me.

Can you pay this monthly (like Prime) or do you have to sign up for yearly deals?

Does anyone know if you can cancel if you sign up for a 1/2/3-year term?

Saving $20 on a 2-year deal isn't going to matter to me if I end up not liking the service and I can't cancel. Otherwise I'm going to intentionally eat the ~$1 per month savings and go month to month.

Does anyone know if you can cancel if you sign up for a 1/2/3-year term?

Saving $20 on a 2-year deal isn't going to matter to me if I end up not liking the service and I can't cancel. Otherwise I'm going to intentionally eat the ~$1 per month savings and go month to month.

Cancel to get a refund? Probably not. What typically happens when you prepay for these type of services, is that when you cancel, you will continue to be able to use the system through the term you agreed to, but then won't auto renew when the term is over.

You are committing to whatever term you pay for.

Yup, the long term signup deals are specifically to reduce churn, which is shaping up to be the biggest challenge for streaming services. Disney don't want you to sign up for two months, binge watch everything, then cancel; so they're offering a carrot.

For me the math on the D23 deal made a lot of sense. For others being free to do say: four months of Netflix, four months of Starz, and four months of D+, might work better, and that's why I expect to see other services adopt a few of D+'s tricks, namely discounted commitments, and staged episodic releases for shows.

Churn it is then!

I think it's ludicrous to ask customers to commit to a multi-year deal on something that isn't even out yet. "If Disney Builds it people will come" isn't a guarantee anymore (SWGE anyone?) and I don't trust their IT history to be able to produce a quality technical experience from day one (MDE/FP+).

They market perfection. They charge a premium price for perfection. I have my doubts as to their ability to deliver perfection in this case.

If Disney has my money now they are less likely to improve services. They will need to continually earn my monthly fee.

Thanks for the responses!

Yup, the long term signup deals are specifically to reduce churn, which is shaping up to be the biggest challenge for streaming services. Disney don't want you to sign up for two months, binge watch everything, then cancel; so they're offering a carrot.

For me the math on the D23 deal made a lot of sense. For others being free to do say: four months of Netflix, four months of Starz, and four months of D+, might work better, and that's why I expect to see other services adopt a few of D+'s tricks, namely discounted commitments, and staged episodic releases for shows.

Yeah, without this working on Amazon, that's my plan. When my DCUniverse expires in the spring, I'll pick this up for the summer...and then probably rotate to another service in the fall before going back to DC (so they have enough content to make my viewing worthwhile each time)...rinse/repeat...since I can only view this on one device, so no need to have it all the time...

Churn it is then!

I think it's ludicrous to ask customers to commit to a multi-year deal on something that isn't even out yet. "If Disney Builds it people will come" isn't a guarantee anymore (SWGE anyone?) and I don't trust their IT history to be able to produce a quality technical experience from day one (MDE/FP+).

They market perfection. They charge a premium price for perfection. I have my doubts as to their ability to deliver perfection in this case.

If Disney has my money now they are less likely to improve services. They will need to continually earn my monthly fee.

Thanks for the responses!
They're not making you commit to a multi-year deal though. They're giving you the option and discounting the cost for doing so but it's not the only option. You're more than free to pay monthly, but they're not going to discount it further without at least some commitment. And at the current monthly price I would say that it's already somewhat of a bargain compared to other streaming services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!