Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a dumb question. I have a smart tv. Haven’t used none of the smart tv features because I get my Netflix and amazon prime right through Xfinity apps. How can I see Disney plus? Will it be available with my smart tv or will I need a Roku if Disney and Xfinity doesn’t have a agreement where Disney is on the Xfinity apps? I’m in whatever I have to do to watch it. Thanks

Smart TV support is spotty all-around. Each streaming service has to develop an app that is compatible with each smart TV's operating system (same for cable boxes). Because of this, services are slower to come and update on many smart TV's compared to much popular streaming devices. Plus, devices like Roku and FireTV generally have faster hardware overall compared to smart TVs, cable boxes, etc.

I guess I'm the only one concerned about 4K Ultra, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos?

You folks must all have regular TV's with no sound system?

I guess I'm the only one concerned about 4K Ultra, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos?

They did mention that captain marvel would be in 4K on the webcast so my guess is the picture quality will vary by product for what’s available at 4K versus 1080p etc.

It's not a sound system if it lacks Dolby Atmos? Atmos is cool and all, but unless you've got a room well set up for it, it's not adding much. Even my current 7.1 is too much for my room, and before I drop money on Atmos, I'd want to shell out way more on accoustic treatments.

Also, if the movie is any good, I quickly don't notice the format. I'm rewatching LotR since my daughter is now old enough to enjoy them. My copies are DVDs. I've never felt the need to replace the DVDs because the movies are solid enough that DVD quality is fine, even on a 4K 65" screen.

Planet Earth II definitely benefits from 4K HDR, but then I'm not settling for streaming level compression, since I'm basically looking for Nat Geo level photography in every frame, so I'd buy the UHD BluRay.

I wouldn’t get too attached to that low price point, Disney forecast large losses for the first couple of years before this becomes profitable for them, I suspect they intend to achieve profitability by increasing prices once they have people hooked.
Am I the only one who questions whether Disney can actually deliver a decent service given their abysmal tech performance in other areas?

I wouldn’t get too attached to that low price point, Disney forecast large losses for the first couple of years before this becomes profitable for them, I suspect they intend to achieve profitability by increasing prices once they have people hooked.
Am I the only one who questions whether Disney can actually deliver a decent service given their abysmal tech performance in other areas?

I think purchasing BAM will make this different, i hope anyways.

I might be totally wrong here (someone please come shoot me down if so) but I thought I had read somewhere a while back, that the software/app was being built (or purchased from...?) another company, at least to begin with. Can someone refresh my memory on that?

They win this by playing a numbers game. Every extra country they launch in is close to pure profit once they've got the first few in place.

Big chunks of Movies Anwhere is Disney, and that works great. BAMTech is rock solid, and that's what Disney is building this service on. It'll be fine.

It's not a sound system if it lacks Dolby Atmos? Atmos is cool and all, but unless you've got a room well set up for it, it's not adding much. Even my current 7.1 is too much for my room, and before I drop money on Atmos, I'd want to shell out way more on accoustic treatments.

Also, if the movie is any good, I quickly don't notice the format. I'm rewatching LotR since my daughter is now old enough to enjoy them. My copies are DVDs. I've never felt the need to replace the DVDs because the movies are solid enough that DVD quality is fine, even on a 4K 65" screen.

Planet Earth II definitely benefits from 4K HDR, but then I'm not settling for streaming level compression, since I'm basically looking for Nat Geo level photography in every frame, so I'd buy the UHD BluRay.

It really finishes off the submersive experience when there are effects coming from the ceiling as well as the front and rear of the room. Pretty much all new 4K Blurays come with Dolby Atmos. The Netflix shows that have it are noticeably better. I can use my receiver to decode and force the effects through the Atmos speakers, but it doesn't sound as good. We finished our basement from scratch last year so it was easy for me to set-up the room the way I wanted it.

I have a 4K OLED tv so the picture goes well beyond normal 4K TV's. Regular Blurays look good, but I wouldn't be watching DVD's on it.

We have a media room with a 4K TV and 5.1 surround... But I do most of my casual TV viewing in the main living room where I just run the TV without the sound system and control it using my phone or voice commands

Smart TV support is spotty all-around. Each streaming service has to develop an app that is compatible with each smart TV's operating system (same for cable boxes). Because of this, services are slower to come and update on many smart TV's compared to much popular streaming devices. Plus, devices like Roku and FireTV generally have faster hardware overall compared to smart TVs, cable boxes, etc.

This is why I recently bought a TCL Roku TV. The Smart TV operating system is Roku, so it has a lot more versatility. This was a big selling point for me.

That was all I wanted them to address as well. Obviously I will buy all of the MCU films/Pixar/Disney Animated ones on 4K UHD when they realase but would be nice to know that some of the other movies that are not worth a buy will be available to stream in 4K with ATMOS.

Last edited:
The price point is much lower than i anticipated. I was thinking an opening price near 10.99, but the annual pricing is great. We are going to sign up on day 1, if we can get it to stream on the FireStick. I would like to know what the Disney+&Hulu combo pricing will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!