Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

I heard a rumor that the success of this movie might be factor in moving forward with a Lion King ride at AK and DLP down the line.

The only live-action remake/prequel we've paid to see in theaters was the Little Mermaid. I don't think we'll see this one in theaters, but I would love a LK ride...

That’s some weird blackmail. “Watch our money grab movie or no ride for you!” I mean, Lion King was pretty successful when it came out, why not just make the ride.

That’s some weird blackmail. “Watch our money grab movie or no ride for you!” I mean, Lion King was pretty successful when it came out, why not just make the ride.
I think you're reading too much into it. It's a rumor and even if true, it's not blackmail. Companies use the success of one project to make decisions about other projects all the time

For sure, but Lion King is already a successful IP for Disney, they shouldn’t need to base it off the success of some new movie nobody asked for.
They aren't, it's a rumour. Tbh I haven't even heard the rumblings of a lion king ride to base this rumour on in the first place. AK already has all the potential IP rumours out there. They aren't going to throw some random Lion King ride into dinoland and they aren't going to build it in the middle of the Africa section either. We've already got FOTLK.

They aren't, it's a rumour. Tbh I haven't even heard the rumblings of a lion king ride to base this rumour on in the first place. AK already has all the potential IP rumours out there. They aren't going to throw some random Lion King ride into dinoland and they aren't going to build it in the middle of the Africa section either. We've already got FOTLK.
There is an expansion area behind Festival of the Lion King near the path that leads to Pandora. I assume the Club 33 building would have to be moved somewhere else but there is room back there for a ride if Disney wants to build a Lion King attraction.

There is an expansion area behind Festival of the Lion King near the path that leads to Pandora. I assume the Club 33 building would have to be moved somewhere else but there is room back there for a ride if Disney wants to build a Lion King attraction.
But they are commited to a years long redo of dinoland right now. There hasn't even been any bluesky ideas thrown out about a lion king ride. With all the things that are currently in the pipelines for all the parks rumored or true a lion king ride has not been even on a radar.

But they are commited to a years long redo of dinoland right now. There hasn't even been any bluesky ideas thrown out about a lion king ride. With all the things that are currently in the pipelines for all the parks rumored or true a lion king ride has not been even on a radar.
A Lion King log flume ride (similar to Splash/Tiana) is rumored to be coming to DLP but in terms of WDW I've heard that if the Paris ride does well, it will be brought to AK.

A Lion King log flume ride (similar to Splash/Tiana) is rumored to be coming to DLP but in terms of WDW I've heard that if the Paris ride does well, it will be brought to AK.
What I've seen on the topic is a bunch of people talking about what they think and hope will happen with no actual sources for even a somewhat reliable rumour. I'll wait for a permit being filed, concept art on a bluesky idea, some kind of possible even maybe hint at D23. Even if it does come to fruition in DLP it had no bearing on how a live action prequel to a remake that bombed of one of their animated hits from 30 years ago did at the box office.

My Mom messaged me out of the blue to let me know she cannot wait so... I guess at least one person is excited?

I am jarred they went with 'not a drop of kingly blood'. They put soooooo much weight on Mufasa being King and Simba being the one true King, and yo look to the Kings of the Past, kid, yadda yadda. I guess that long tradition only goes back a few years? Who ARE those kings then, they seem Not Important.

I think we should all agree that no one, especially those on social media, is interested in seeing the upcoming Lion King prequel, am I right? Let it flop, so Disney has an excuse to stop making live-action remakes.
The people I'm seeing that are interested in this are all saying they'll wait for it to be on Disney+, so I have a feeling it'll flop regardless.

I watched some of the first CGI LK and the animals just seemed so expressionless, like watching moving taxidermy specimens. I think they could have done a hybrid animation style that would make them look realistic but give them the ability to be expressive. Not going to bother with the prequel. I'll watch the classic original.

Lion King (2019) made over 1.6 billion dollars worldwide with the same "why are they making this" complaints happening and they wasted no time getting started on this movie as a result. They'll stop when these live action movies stop making money but let's remember that there's a very good reason they're running this into the ground.

Lion King (2019) made over 1.6 billion dollars worldwide with the same "why are they making this" complaints happening and they wasted no time getting started on this movie as a result. They'll stop when these live action movies stop making money but let's remember that there's a very good reason they're running this into the ground.
Won't lie, I went to the theatre to see it butnit was because I didn't know any better and enjoyed the original. Critically it was a mess and now people know.

I think we should all agree that no one, especially those on social media, is interested in seeing the upcoming Lion King prequel, am I right?
No, I don't think you are right. Perhaps the people you follow aren't interested but I think there are lots of people who will want to see it. Maybe not to the extent that its a box office success, but there will be an audience for it.

No, I don't think you are right. Perhaps the people you follow aren't interested but I think there are lots of people who will want to see it. Maybe not to the extent that its a box office success, but there will be an audience for it.
If it's not a box office success, it's because of very high production costs, not because people don't go see it. I won't be one of them but I am sure it will sell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter