Disney need to get a grip - A bit controversal

Bishop Pluto

Earning My Ears
Just back after 13 days in the ASM. All was great apart from one thing. We all know that Disney is a magical place but I was astounded at the very high number of scooter users who are able to get off them and walk whilst in the magical place. This is really frustrating when waiting for the Disney buses purely by the number of seats that these scooters take up. It would appear to us that there are high number of guests, especially over weight ones, who use these to abuse these to take advantage of better viewing areas, faster line access and other perks. We saw couples changing riders, sharing scooters, running after buses etc etc. It is our view that Disney should some how screen users prior to allowing access. These con artists spoil it for everyone, frustrate other guests and also spoil it for the genuine users. Perhaps we should take my wheel chair bound aunt? You never know what Disney will be able to do for her.

Just back after 13 days in the ASM. All was great apart from one thing. We all know that Disney is a magical place but I was astounded at the very high number of scooter users who are able to get off them and walk whilst in the magical place. This is really frustrating when waiting for the Disney buses purely by the number of seats that these scooters take up. It would appear to us that there are high number of guests, especially over weight ones, who use these to abuse these to take advantage of better viewing areas, faster line access and other perks. We saw couples changing riders, sharing scooters, running after buses etc etc. It is our view that Disney should some how screen users prior to allowing access. These con artists spoil it for everyone, frustrate other guests and also spoil it for the genuine users. Perhaps we should take my wheel chair bound aunt? You never know what Disney will be able to do for her.

I am 50 and have been to disney 10 times. I NEVER THOUGHT I'd use a scooter. Sometimes I felt like you when I saw people walking. Well my husband planned a surprise honeymoon trip for nov and I had knee surgery 5 weeks ago. I am in pt and just slowly starting to walk . My pt said when we go away in 7 weeks I will be able to walk a little but not for more then an hour a time or I will swell up. I can get on a bus I can walk around bu the minute my knee starts I HAVE to stop walking . So I will be getting an EVC but there will be times it looks as if I'm walking good ... Any minute my knee can give out. I HATE being in an evc I LOVE WALKING IN DISNEY, I just hope I don't run into anyone that's judgmental . Just saying sometimes things aren't as they appear .

Not only are things not always as they appear, and shame on you for thinking you know when someone is disabled by the way, there is a law in place that prevents Disney or any other company to have someone "prove", they are disabled.

Your probably thinking a written note from the doctor or something like that, nope! Discrimination laws prevent this from happening.

But alas, the rules have changed concerning those who have to use or abuse the GAC cards (cards you get at guest relations when you are disabled to help bypass regular lines and go through a special way because of the wheel chair or for other disabilities), they have changed the system and so it should help for a while. It's almost impossible to completely eradicate the problem, some people will lie and in the mean time ruin it for others.

And to be honest, I'm thinking you posted this just to get people going. Shame on you for that too. :mad: The only reason I'm posting here is to stop the nonsense you are trying to start.

I think it's in your presumption these people were skipping lines when indeed that is not the case. Many times most people who use the GAC cards, (just having a wheel chair or scooter doesn't get you a special spot ahead) wind up waiting longer than the people standing in the normal line or even in the fastpass lines for that matter. Except where the bus is concerned, but that's a different matter.

Nice try any way, many others have started a thread on this exact same thing and started a scuffle just like you are trying to do. I'm sure in a very short amount of time you'll have this post taken down by an Moderator.

I agree with the above posters - you cannot judge if a person is disabled or not just by looking at them.

I raised my step son who was diagnosed with autism at the age of 6. It was a VEY BIG blessing to use the GAC card that Disnet offered so that he did not have to wait on line - he has problems standing still and can become agitated easily with long waits. He is also non-verbal so he is unable to communicate with words making waits even harder.

When you look at him, you would think nothing was at all wrong. He is now a 6' tall very handsome boy. But you would not believe the number of snide remarks and dirty looks we got when using alternate entrances to rides and attractions.

As the above poster said - SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope that you never have any health issues.

To look at me you wouldn't think anything was wrong but I have heart problems and arthritis and cannot do the long distance walking that a Disney visit requires. After a few miserable trips I started renting an ecv and it has made a world of difference! I am fine at shorter distances and usually park in stroller parking and get a fast pass or go through the regular line. But as others have said, don't be so judgemental, you never know what someone's situation is. I have had dirty looks or ugly comments thrown my way so this is a sensitive topic for me.

Terri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter