Disney Movie Marathon Challenge

Discussion in 'Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music' started by RSandRS, Jul 23, 2018.

1. RSandRS

RSandRS Mouseketeer

It's just about living with a disability, which impacts aspects of your life and relationships. Reflecting on this more, my feeling is they just could have explored it without her having the grant narrative be her having to find her parents as that's too similar to Finding Nemo.

It is definitely worth a watch though!

2. TheStarscream759

TheStarscream759 Mouseketeer

Zootopia - I love this film! One of my favourite films of the modern age, I love its message of Life can be unpleasant at times but it doesn't mean you should give up on your dream. Judy is such a strong character, kind, compassionate and I think makes a great role model in general to any kid that want to follow their dreams. Nick serves as a great to her and maybe one of my favourite characters from Disney alongside, Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, Genie, Flynn Rider and even Donald Duck. Such a beautiful, beautiful and now I'm solely tempted to listen to Try Everything again.

Finding Dory - It's not as good as the original but it's still a pretty good film. I like that Dory got her a time in the limelight and it's good they fleshed out her character. Yeah it does feel a little too much like the original but it's fresh enough to make it different from its predecessor. And young Dory is so cute. The scenes with her parents were definitely highlights for me. Not gonna be up there with the other films but it's definitely worth seeing.

RSandRS likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. RSandRS

RSandRS Mouseketeer

Moana (2016)

I can see why Moana was so popular - it’s easy to watch, is led by a really charismatic pair of characters and has good music. You’re not going to be weeping at the end of Moana (well, I don’t), but you will be happy and thoroughly Disneyfied. Basically, it’s not my favourite, it just doesn’t connect with me for some reason, but I do think it’s really great.

Moana is an awesome character - definitely a lovely role model for young girls. I like that Maui doesn’t get all the best lines, and Moana is able to be a bit of a goofball as well as brave and kind and a wonderful singer and one with the nature and the critters the way a Disney Princess should be. I also like the design of the character - she’s strong and moves like a real person, and I like the way her hair constantly gets in her face.

Maui is a brilliant creation - they introduce him way too late! This is another example of Disney’s genius for casting voice actors - if not played by The Rock Maui could have been quite unlikeable.

I think there are some slight pacing issues in the plot, as it doesn't get going for a long time. You know Moana’s going to set off across the sea at some point, and by about 30 minutes in you’re wondering why she hasn't done it yet. There are three songs before Moana leaves Motonui, all exploring similar themes, meaning that the soundtrack is a bit lopsided, in the same way that it is for Frozen. I also think the bit with the kakamora could have been ditched in favour of more time in the Realm of Monsters. The kakamora don’t add anything, whereas Tamatoa is excellent and feels a bit wasted.

On that subject, my sis thinks the movie suffers a bit by not having a proper villain. This hasn't been a problem in other Disneys and Pixars we’ve watched, and she feels the need for an iconic villain because so much else about Moana feels like the Golden Age of the 90s (where the villain was as important as the good guys), but overall the film feels a bit too nice for her. I don't necessarily agree on this.

It is def one of the strengths of the film that so much time and thought went into making it representative and respectful of Polynesian culture (while at the same time sticking to the Disney formula).

The music is really good It doesn't quite achieve the brilliance of Alan Menken at his best, but Lin Manuel Miranda’s songs are lovely and the way he plays about with the lyrics is fantastic. You’re Welcome is an absolute choon (again, I can see why it’s so popular) and We Know the Way is perfect for the movie.

Overall the movie is really nice and I like watching it, though it’s not my favourite of the recent ‘princess movies’. It feels a bit similar to movies that Disney has made in the past: the heroine is a princess; she wants to be/do more than her society’s current expectations allow, but at the same time needs to know and understand herself through a journey of discovery; she feels connected to a body of water as some kind of representation of her uncontainable spirit and sings about it ('water is the metaphor' ;); she sets out on a journey after the death of a close family member and then saves the world etc. It feels a bit like they chose the setting first, took elements of other Disney films and bolted them together, and then tried to make them fit into the setting they’d chosen. For the most part they’re successful, but they haven’t ended up with such an original film as their last few (Zootopia, Big Hero 6 etc.). Nonetheless, Moana is a fab film and Disney animation seems to be on a roll right now...I hope they don’t get distracted making live action films. Oh no, too late...

Micca and BrianL like this.
  5. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

I also really like Moana, though I do feel it didn't quite match it's potential. It sure is beautiful though. You know I am into the animation technology, and wow-oh-wow is this one pretty! They are putting on an animation clinic and solidifying the studio at the very top of the animation game. Even Pixar was lagging behind at this point. Water. Hair. Need I say more? Oh yeah, I do need to mention Maui's tattoos as they were done with traditional hand-drawn animation! They just nailed the look of this movie in all aspects. Nobody can touch it!

On the story front, I am always a sucker for sea-faring stories, so I really love what's going on here. "We Know the Way" is such a great song and I just love the boats. I actually also loved the Kakamora and their big floating fortress and wish they had been used more instead of being insignificant. They should have cropped back up near the end to harass the heroes as they make their final push. The pacing is a bit lopsided, but nothing that ruins the movie, it just could have been smoother. Still, Moana and Maui have a great dynamic, they both have a hero's journey and learn lessons, and they are both just so likable and fun. It works and I think Moana will be well regarded in years to come.

Micca likes this.
  6. Micca

Micca SAHG: Stay At Home Grandfather

I'll echo RS and Brian on Moana: It's very good but not all the way to great. Very nicely done and a visual feast.:)

BrianL likes this.
  7. TheStarscream759

TheStarscream759 Mouseketeer

Moana - One of my favourite movies of the modern era, beautiful animation, Your Welcome is probably my favourite from the movie, The Rock is very good as Maui you wouldn't think an action star like him would be able to act in a Disney movie but he does and he conveys Maui's sadness when he talks about his past to Moana and even when he gets mad at her. It is the mark of good acting right there. Moana herself is a strong character and takes no nonsense when Maui is bragging about himself, kind of wish that Tamatoa because we only see him for one scene and then we never see him for the rest of the film apart from the stinger. The songs that Lin Miranda Manuel wrote are just stunning, probably the best we've heard from a Disney movie in a while and it's definitely worth a watch.

Also on a side note I have updated my Trip report for DLP.

Micca and BrianL like this.