Disney Magic Kingdoms

"One-and-done.." I like that. I agree. And it seems like every time I stockpile a decent amount of gems, another event happens and then I use them all. At this rate, I may never have enough to buy any other premium character other than event characters. Lucky I was able to get Pluto!

I have never paid a cent on this game, and I have everyone that cost less than 400 gems. I will also buy one (not two) of the event characters. I wait for the buildings to go 50% off (not 30%) and almost have everything.

I watch every gem awarding ad available. I run my parade once a day which has a chance at gems. And I find that leveling up characters earns a bit, especially as they get higher. Although I'm starting to run out of characters.

Buying characters can be a little cheaper I find if they complete a collection. If you're awarded 25 gems for a complete set, that's like 25 gems off.

I guess I don't really pay this game an6 serious mind like other players seem to. Am I wrong in remembering that the premium gem characters have only been useful as part of their own storylines? For instance, Aurora, Philip, Flora, and Fauna all helped in Zootopia, but not Zootopia. I can't recall if I've ever needed Rex or Boo to collect other event tokens. Are they pretty much one-and-done characters?
The gem characters outside of pluto alternate between utterly useless and helpful. I have all of them. They generally help with the character set they are from, and then the oldest ones have been helpful roughly every other timed event or character event.
Eve was really only helpful with Walle, one of the sleeping beauty characters, and now zootopia.
The problem most people have is that if you save and scrimp the gems (which is still a good idea), by the time you get around to buying that character, you usually don't need it to help collect tokens for the other characters in its story grouping, making it useless fairly quickly.
Maximus was very helpful with Tangled and, I think for awhile, Donald hats before they swapped character tasks and times around. I don't think I've used him for more than one character token since I maxed the Tangled set out, and that was likely for Frozen or Batb.
You have to evaluate where you are in the storyline to see how useful a character will be. If you have maxed out Tangled, wait on Maximus, etc.
I purchased them in this order (pluto, rex, maximus, merriweather, eve) and used my saved up gems to purchase the timed event ones as the event was happening.

Gameloft just posted they will do a livestream this Thursday for the next update. Really really hoping it's not an event! Have they done a livestream for just a regular update to the main storyline before? Seems like it's always been for an event. If it's for the main storyline, must be a big one to do a livestream.

Personally, I felt that Merryweather was worth it. She was pretty helpful back when I was doing those Sleeping Beauty quests. IIRC she isn't too expensive, either (in terms of gems - I don't like to pay actual money for my characters).
Well I am finished with my quests with all my basic storyline quests except zootopia didn't know if she would be useful for that or not. I hate that you have to buy one of the characters from each storyline. If only there was some way that you could earn them or win them in platinum chests that you find not buy. Like I absolutely quit leveling up eve because she doesn't do much of anything and all of her other quests require wall e or his house which both costs gems.

I've heard many rumblings that this will open up frontierland, whether this is true or not, does anyone think it's weirdness that the loin king could open frontierland? I live in orlando and visit WDW all the time and rafiki always meets in adventureland, and there is a game called sorcerers of the magic kingdom and scar is a villain in that game in adventureland. ALSO, I just think they fit better in adventureland since it's a jungle. Frontierland is country.. and lions aren't country lol. I'm hoping we finally get adventureland so I can finally put my pirates somewhere they belong too!

I'm very skeptical of any new land. If history is any indicator, they'll open up one of the locked areas behind Small World and that's it.

I've heard many rumblings that this will open up frontierland, whether this is true or not, does anyone think it's weirdness that the loin king could open frontierland? I live in orlando and visit WDW all the time and rafiki always meets in adventureland, and there is a game called sorcerers of the magic kingdom and scar is a villain in that game in adventureland. ALSO, I just think they fit better in adventureland since it's a jungle. Frontierland is country.. and lions aren't country lol. I'm hoping we finally get adventureland so I can finally put my pirates somewhere they belong too!
I'm very skeptical of any new land. If history is any indicator, they'll open up one of the locked areas behind Small World and that's it.
I personally don't see them expanding the existing game board until they unlock the rest of the three areas in Fantasyland. They weren't too terribly concerned about giving us a Pirates event without Adventureland, so I wouldn't expect the Lion King bit to be what finally brings about the rest of the board. Three lands left to be unlocked and midpoint in the year, I wouldn't look for Frontierland or Fantasyland until early 2018. If that.

You have to evaluate where you are in the storyline to see how useful a character will be. If you have maxed out Tangled, wait on Maximus, etc.
I purchased them in this order (pluto, rex, maximus, merriweather, eve) and used my saved up gems to purchase the timed event ones as the event was happening.

I noticed that when I first started the game (upon initial release) the ads for "buy X gems and get X character" bundles lined up perfectly with where I was in the storyline. Obvious this is on purpose. The goal is to sell, because they are a business, but I just thought that if anyone should ever buy a character with real money, it should be then. That way they get the full benefit of the storyline tasks, plus a little extra gems.

Otherwise, like you said, you end up with them being completely useless, as all the main quests and characters are finished

Well I am finished with my quests with all my basic storyline quests except zootopia didn't know if she would be useful for that or not. I hate that you have to buy one of the characters from each storyline. If only there was some way that you could earn them or win them in platinum chests that you find not buy. Like I absolutely quit leveling up eve because she doesn't do much of anything and all of her other quests require wall e or his house which both costs gems.
Is there a harm in leveling up EVE, though? I realize that while she might not provide any real use with each new level, at least you can earn some extra gems for each stage.

Gameloft just posted they will do a livestream this Thursday for the next update. Really really hoping it's not an event! Have they done a livestream for just a regular update to the main storyline before? Seems like it's always been for an event. If it's for the main storyline, must be a big one to do a livestream.

Seems like the solve the puzzle and then tweet or share (free social advertising) is always for events. I don't remember one for Zootopia, Chip and Dale, or others.

I virtually guarantee you that it's an event. Events cause time pressure which motivates people to use gems which in turn motivates people to spend money on gems or premium character packs.

First, you need to think of this park as Disneyland, instead of WDW. This game was designed to celebrate DL's 60th, just as Virtual Magic Kingdom (still a more superior game) was designed for the 50th. So going counter clockwise (something many guests do) you'd arrive in Frontierland on your way to Critter Country, which would make more sense. The first section/land, the one Tomorrowland should be, I'm guessing, is CA Adventure, given the coaster, so they just stuck it wherever, knowing they needed a place for toon town, and figured they could share.

Second, mountain lions. Grrr.

Third, if we imagine this to be WDW, Lion King had an awesome attraction in Fantasyland. Philharmagic is just a cheap filler when compared to what it replaced. So opening up more space in Fantasyland makes sense.

Fourth, it's been over a year, and they haven't opened any of the new sections yet. VMK lasted 3 years before the shut it down, and despite being 100% free, not "freemium," they already had all of their lands opened by now.

does events cost a lot of gems? i spent like 120 gems for the incredibles chest and i only have like 60 left... if the lion king is an event do you think they will ask for a lot of gems?

does events cost a lot of gems? i spent like 120 gems for the incredibles chest and i only have like 60 left... if the lion king is an event do you think they will ask for a lot of gems?

Keep on saving!! In the last event Mrs. Potts and Chip were 180 and 250 gems and the Be Our Guest Restaurant was 150 gems. The time limited premium characters used to be cheaper but each time Gameloft seems to raise the gem cost of premium characters...I'll leave it at that lol!

Nothing is forcing you to spend gems on an event. However, gems allow you to obtain premium characters/buildings, which speed up your ability to get the items needed to welcome and level up characters. This can sometimes make the difference between being able to finish the event in time (typically the last thing is welcoming the villain), or not getting that last character.

I virtually guarantee you that it's an event. Events cause time pressure which motivates people to use gems which in turn motivates people to spend money on gems or premium character packs.
Which, of course, is exactly what Gameloft wants.

Seems like the solve the puzzle and then tweet or share (free social advertising) is always for events. I don't remember one for Zootopia, Chip and Dale, or others.
Yeah, I'm with you. I'm not about to go tweeting anything on Gameloft's behalf. Creeps.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. I am not a fan of timed events... it just makes for lots of boring down time when they are over. And I don't like feeling like I have to play all the time or hurry up to finish. :(

Sadly, I have to agree with you. I am not a fan of timed events... it just makes for lots of boring down time when they are over. And I don't like feeling like I have to play all the time or hurry up to finish. :(

Yeah, I don't know how people here do it without paying actual cash. I will be on high alert when I know an event is coming. As soon as it does, I DL it the very second I'm connected to WiFi (wifi only updates seems to only happen when you leave the house, even if it's only been a few minutes) Then I play several times a day, rather than once a day. I don't set timers or lose sleep. Maybe that's what other people do. I buy one premium character with hopes of advancing. Even when events only came with one character, I still would never unlock the villain, despite defeating him. Seems like I need the parade float and other premium items just to have a chance. Just seems wrong that people will pay real money and still potentially have no chance of completing an event. Oh, and if you miss one day, just one, don't even bother!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts