Disney Magic: Aug 16th, 2018 - 10-Night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland Cruise from Copenhagen to Dover

Hello all!

My mom and I are booked on this cruise, so excited to visit Iceland. We just returned from this years WBTA and we are counting down the days until we are back onboard the Magic.

Much like y'all, I am excited for this adventure. My husband and I are considering touring other countries either before or after the cruise. Is anyone else? And if yes, what are y'all considering?

Currently I am thinking London or Paris with an escape to Disneyland Paris - but uncertain

My husband, myself and our son (11 yrs) are going to do the Disney adventure Copenhagen before the cruise for 4 days. We have spent 3 days in London on another trip and yes it is so worth it. I would recommend 3-4 days depending on finances (it is expensive) and to cut costs stay outside of London and make day trips into city and elsewhere.

My husband, myself and our son (11 yrs) are going to do the Disney adventure Copenhagen before the cruise for 4 days. We have spent 3 days in London on another trip and yes it is so worth it. I would recommend 3-4 days depending on finances (it is expensive) and to cut costs stay outside of London and make day trips into city and elsewhere.

We visited Billund (the Lego Headquarter Lego land) in 2015 before taking a train to Copenhagen to board the Disney Magic. We flew into Billund directly and flew out from Copenhagen after the cruise. We really enjoyed it, especially with the Lego fans in the household. I would recommend that to families with children between 4 and 12. You may also look into the layover locations. Frankfurt and Amsterdam are both nice to visit. We had an extended layover in Amsterdam on the way back from Copenhagen and had a blast. The city is easy to navigate on your own, with plenty of tour options to surrounding locations.

Just joining this thread today... can't believe I didn't do it earlier when we booked a few months ago. We're planning a couple of days in Copenhagen (I've never been there) before and a couple in London afterwards (been there a few times, but there's so much to see and do.) We've sailed on the Wonder and the Dream, but this is the first time we've booked the Magic. I sure hope this will be a magical trip for us all!

I can't believe I'm saying this but we have a layover in Paris and it's not long enough to go into the city. It's going to kill us! We love Paris, and spent an afternoon at DL Paris a few years ago. We didn't plan to go so I didn't do all the pre-planning and let's just say it would have been better to have planned some.

Less than 1 year to go! I'm looking into non-DCL excursions in Iceland, and am getting frustrated that the Golden Circle seems to require at least 8 hours, and leave at 9am-ish - and we land at 12:30pm, and leave at 3:30pm the next day. Would love to hear if anyone finds a good solution to this!

I noticed this, too, and I did some research on it. I'm guessing that any DCL "official" excursions will fit the port times, but depending on popularity they may or may not be available to book. If you look search online for "golden circle evening" or "golden circle afternoon" you'll see that there are some shorter (6 hrs?) tours that might fit with your schedule for the first day. Alternately, you can book a private excursion (which is what I did) so that it's all done on your timeline.

Has anyone been to Scotland and Norway on excursions? What do you recommend seeing?
I went to Scotland for 2 weeks over 20 years ago, and saw A LOT, albeit a while ago. Just remember, that we have a relatively short-day out/back from InverGordon, a port approx. 25 miles / 35 minutes north of Inverness (one of the many town/cities that claim to be the "Gateway to the Highlands"). I visited Inverness, as well as the lochs SWest of Inverness 20+ years ago, and was deeply, deeply moved by the land and the history and yes, the touristy "Loch Ness" museum as well.

So a bus trip to the loch's and a few old castles and Loch Ness and perhaps a whiskey tasting (or five!) will be on the docket. Walking around Inverness may be ok too.
Disney will probably give the kids a chance to see "Princess Merida". You know the drill.

I will try to convince my wife/son to take a ScotRail train or bus NORTH towards Tain or even Dunrobin Castle (depends on weather and schedule). The small out-of-the-way towns of Scotland can be magical, and they all have their pubs and yarn stores

Last edited:

Does anyone know if there is a Fish Extender Sign up for this cruise? We enjoyed participating on the Disney Magic British Isles cruise back in 2016. Hopefully we’re not too late! Thanks!

My family and I will be on this cruise. My wife and I will be traveling with our 7 year old daughter and 11 year old son. Anyone else with similar age children that we can match up so mom and dad don't have to entertain for 11 days :)

My family and I will be on this cruise. My wife and I will be traveling with our 7 year old daughter and 11 year old son. Anyone else with similar age children that we can match up so mom and dad don't have to entertain for 11 days :)
Uhhm, you are familiar with the Oceaneer's Club/Lab (no extra charge and open from 9am - MidNight)?
Kind of hard for a kid to NOT love them

My children are older now, but when they were young, we never had to entertain them on a Disney cruise. It took a lot for us to take them OUT of the Oceaneers Club. We had to make a rule that if they wanted to go on the cruise they would have to at least eat dinner with us every night. And in most cases, that's about as much time we could get out of them other than sleeping. Sometimes we would get breakfast together, but that's only when we have an excursion. Sea days are pretty much a right off when it comes to spending time with them.

Now that they are older, the rule still stands that we eat dinner every night together. And yes, this would mean no Palo or Remy. My husband and I were able to do Palo the few times that we had grandparents with us. But the rest of the time, we had dinner together and breakfast when we had excursions.

Once your children find friends in the Club, they usually plan on to go at the same time.

My Partner and I are saving to go on this cruise! We are From New Zealand and can't wait! It will be our first trip overseas together!

We're interested to know if anyone is doing the fish extenders? We might be interested in participating!

Hi!
We're interested in Fish extender exchange too!

Less than 1 year to go! I'm looking into non-DCL excursions in Iceland, and am getting frustrated that the Golden Circle seems to require at least 8 hours, and leave at 9am-ish - and we land at 12:30pm, and leave at 3:30pm the next day. Would love to hear if anyone finds a good solution to this!
We found a couple of afternoon options (eg https://www.re.is/day-tours/gullfoss-geysir-thingvellir-afternoon-tour/ ). Clearly private tours can be adjusted. We have opted to hire a car as party of 5 and diy it.

How is everyone's planning going?

We're going to Disneyland Paris for a few days before the cruise so I've been busy with booking DLP hotel, car service and flights to Copenhagen. I can't believe how expensive the car service is in Copenhagen. I know every suggestion says to take the train or taxi, but it's our first time there and I would be more comfortable using a car service. However, I'm wondering how easy it would be to take a tax from the airport. To be honest, when we travel, we usually use a car service and don't have much experience with just taking a taxi at the airport. Am I just being overly anxious?

Last edited:
Lucky you getting to go to DCL first! When we booked our flights we didn't even think about adding some time in Paris (where we actually have a layover) and now I kind of regret it. I did get a day at DLP on another trip, though, so I can't complain. We are still working on lots of the smaller details. From everything I have read taxis are plentiful at the airport and we are planning to take one in Copenhagen. I hope it works out.

Lucky you getting to go to DCL first! When we booked our flights we didn't even think about adding some time in Paris (where we actually have a layover) and now I kind of regret it. I did get a day at DLP on another trip, though, so I can't complain. We are still working on lots of the smaller details. From everything I have read taxis are plentiful at the airport and we are planning to take one in Copenhagen. I hope it works out.

This will be our first time in DLP so I'm excited.

I was pricing out the car service vs taxi in Copenhagen. There is at least a $100+ difference between them. And the train is apparently much less. I'm just not sure I'd be comfortable taking my luggage on the train. I think I need to do more research.

IMG_6893.JPG
We found a couple of afternoon options (eg https://www.re.is/day-tours/gullfoss-geysir-thingvellir-afternoon-tour/ ). Clearly private tours can be adjusted. We have opted to hire a car as party of 5 and diy it.

Guys I was on an Iceland cruise in 2016 with DCL and we have an active cruise meets thread for 2019.

We as a group have purchased a bus of 45 from Extreme Iceland, with a guide to do our times on a golden circle tour day 1 and blue Lagoon day 2.

It's cheaper than DCL, by a lot, it's more flexible, we have a Reykjavik drop off post tour. We know each other already on the coach, pick up at cruise terminal with Iceland experts, and they provided credit card links for everyone to pay.

As a set smaller group we can direct the day more.

I attach contact details.

Note do not think, Day and night, there is no night, - well no darkness, you can come back later. DCL will have a Cabanas Buffett 5 pm to 8 pm, and 10 pm to midnight. Also there is unlikely to be a show it will be a movie night, repeated later in the cinema.

Thinking " outside the box" will improve your options and save money.

( we have done the same in Akureyri).

IMG_6893.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!