Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

Im in California right now, so doing the opposite of you guys who go to Europe. These solutions I 100% agree with. I have a small point and click Samsung digital camera, I print out ALL tickets, travel plans, confirmation emails and I always wear a watch. I switch off data when Im in USA and keep my phone on Airplane Mode for my entire vacation. I use WhatsAp to keep in contact with friends and family and everyone knows that I will reply and am only contactable when I can connect to free WiFi.

Thanks @BadPinkTink
You're right about WhatsApp. It's great to keep in contact when out of the country. We use it too.

So you're in California?! Wow. I hope you're having a good trip.

Any chance you're going to that exclusive Pixar Pier Premiere on the 22nd?

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ev...MP=EMC-DLRUSENFY18Q3DLRQ3PixarPremierLCEM0002

I had a bit of sticker shock when I saw the price. :earseek:

@poison ivy nope, lol, Im in Disney but will avoid California Adventures totally on Friday

smart decision. It's going to be a crazy weekend. Have fun in CA.

Oh how cool. Thanks for the link :) You should book a cruise I wish I was always sailing

I would love to cruise Europe again. Hopefully in 2020

btw - If you're a Game of Thrones fan, Belfast is a great place to book a site tour. They filmed a lot on location there.

smart decision. It's going to be a crazy weekend. Have fun in CA.

I would love to cruise Europe again. Hopefully in 2020

btw - If you're a Game of Thrones fan, Belfast is a great place to book a site tour. They filmed a lot on location there.

The Titanic was built in Belfast. There is a museum there too... did not go in though

The Titanic was built in Belfast. There is a museum there too... did not go in though

Interesting. I wonder what they have on display? We didn't have time to visit the one in Halifax, NS when we cruised there a couple of years ago.
I doubt I'd see the one in Belfast either, given all the options. Too bad.

time for an update...

Disney Magic 12nt. British Isles
Monday, July 10, 2017

Cruise Day 2 – Le Havre, France

weather: Normandy partly cloudy high 67 °F / 19 °C

As day turns into night 2 on the Magic

A lot to reflect on as we drove away from the coast of Normandy.
But it was time to get back to the ship.

We decided to book Le Havre through Disney for two reasons:
  1. The security of being sponsored by DCL, given the fact we were in France without physical possession of our passports at this point;
  2. The added reassurance the ship would do its’ best to accommodate us should our coach get delayed with a more than 2 hour commute each way.
And sure enough, as we leave to head back around 5:15 pm, we hit traffic.

DSC00580.JPG

Fortunately it opened up as we got closer to Le Havre.

DSC00597.JPG

Only to slow down again as we neared the port. Our guide was giving continual updates via cell as to our exact whereabouts.

I made a quick check on the time. (note the 24hr clock in France)

DSC00589.JPG

18:58 (7pm with about 30 mins. left to go)

Nothing to worry about - all aboard wasn't until 10:45 pm tonight.

At long last the Magic was in sight.

DSC00624.JPG

Security is tight at Le Havre. You can’t just come and go around this port.

(waiting our turn as a guard sweeps the bus in front)

DSC00629.JPG

they re-close the gates following each time a vehicle passes.

DSC00630.JPG

Once we got through, we were on the ship in 10 mins.

DSC00635.JPG

And what a welcome return it was!
Felt good to be back.

DSC00636.JPG

There were a lot of things happening tonight.

Iron Man went his own way (and basically stayed there the rest of the cruise). He had SpiderMan Homecoming 3D in sight and would hit the dinner buffet on the fly.

(If you remember, Le Havre was one of the nights Cabanas served a dinner buffet to accommodate guests with late excursion return times – Greenock would be another)

bi navigatorslehavre.jpg

One of the coolest was photos with the characters in French costume. Unfortunately, we didn't line up for a picture, but it was great to see them out this evening.

DSC00694.JPG

This had been the 4th long day in a row, and JQ and I could feel it catching up. Very tempting to just crash right now and deal with whatever later.
But we knew we'd regret it.
Most likely wake up in the middle of the night scavenging for a meal and be ill prepared for Portland in the morning.

So in keeping with typical Disney cruise fashion - we shook it off.

2nd seating for dinner awaited at Carioca’s and we forced ourselves to go.

dinner for two coming right up......

Last edited:

Interesting. I wonder what they have on display?

The Titanic Museum in Belfast is just amazing. Ive been twice. The last time I spent about 5 hours there..

They have built the museum right at the slip way where Titanic was built. Its a 4 story ( I think) building. You work your way up one side then down the other side. The museum tells the story of Titanic in Belfast, everything from the ships blueprints, to the labourers who physically built the ship, to the materials used and the interior design. They have recreated some rooms and areas of the ship using replicas of the actual carpets, tables , etc made by the same manufacturers who made the items for the real ship. Then outside, you can go down to the actual slip way where Titanic was built and first went into the water.

What the heck is that? After my "censored" comment, my spouse suggested a fountain.

And what a welcome return it was!
Felt good to be back.

dsc00636-jpg.333749

The Titanic Museum in Belfast is just amazing. Ive been twice. The last time I spent about 5 hours there..

They have built the museum right at the slip way where Titanic was built. Its a 4 story ( I think) building. You work your way up one side then down the other side. The museum tells the story of Titanic in Belfast, everything from the ships blueprints, to the labourers who physically built the ship, to the materials used and the interior design. They have recreated some rooms and areas of the ship using replicas of the actual carpets, tables , etc made by the same manufacturers who made the items for the real ship. Then outside, you can go down to the actual slip way where Titanic was built and first went into the water.

Wow! what a museum. I watched their video and this really looks amazing. I had no idea it was this grand. Makes Belfast even more appealing.
What a great cruise. I'm so happy DCL is expanding the ports in Ireland. We have to go back. Thanks for the mini review @BadPinkTink.

Really enjoying your report! Thank you for such detail!!

Thank you and welcome! So glad you are enjoying it and happy to have you along.

What the heck is that? After my "censored" comment, my spouse suggested a fountain.

Omg I'm cracking up. I'm thinking jack rabbit. or quite possibly a British Isles version of the legendary jackalope? Too funny!

Last edited:
Monday, July 10, 2017

weather: Normandy partly cloudy high 67 °F / 19 °C

As day turns into night 2 on the Magic
continues ……

Night 2 (Le Havre) Carioca’s – World of Flavour Menu
Attire: Cruise Casual

It would be just the 2 of us for dinner.

(yeah, we're tired)

DSC00650.JPG

Tonight’s Menu was the same in all 3 Dining rooms:
Theme:
World of Flavour

(Side 1)

DSC00646.JPG

Bread Service:

Pretzel Sticks

DSC00640.JPG

with Liverwurst Spread

DSC00642.JPG

Liverwurst isn’t my thing, but JQ grew up with it and doesn’t mind it at all.

Appetizers:

Regional Inspirations

English Shrimp Cocktail
– Dill-marinated Shrimp on shredded Iceberg Lettuce with Cucumber, Egg, Caviar, and Marie Rose Sauce

DSC00654.JPG

Poole Crab Cakes – with Mustard, Parsley, and Cardamom Slaw
(crab originating from Poole, Dorset)

DSC00651.JPG

We enjoyed both of these.

Soups and Salads:

Regional Inspirations

Cream of Watercress Soup – with Stilton Cheese and Sipits

Curiosity got the best of us here – watercress soup? Stilton cheese? And what the heck are sipits?

So we had to order one.

DSC00657.JPG

The soup was a bit diluted. Although having never had watercress soup I have nothing to compare it to. If it was blended with stilton cheese, it was very faint, and neither flavor came through very well.

And the sipits? I believe this is a typo on the menu – and should read “sippets”

Which I had to look up:

Sippets, originating in British Victorian cuisine, are small cubes or wedges of bread fried with fresh herbs and butter, most commonly used to garnish soup.”

These were a great compliment to the soup. (which could have used a few more IMO)

Roquette Leaves – with Peppered English Strawberries and shaved Parmesan tossed in an Aged Balsamic Vinegar Dressing.

DSC00659.JPG

This salad was fresh and delicious.

We were having a great meal so far.

(continued)

dinner continues.....

Night 2 (Le Havre) Carioca’s – World of Flavour Menu
Attire: Cruise Casual

(side 2)

DSC00645.JPG

Main Course:

Indian Prawn Curry – Sauteed Shrimp with Coconut and Curry with Jasmine Rice

DSC00665.JPG

This is not a bad dish. But I should have gone with the Chicken Kiev.

Sure there's only a few shrimp, but it's a little heavy with the curry and comes with a ton of rice. And after the bread course + 4 starters, we would have preferred something lighter. By the time it was served, it was late - we were tired - and it wasn’t worth changing. So we ate what we could.

Regional Inspirations

Pan-seared North Atlantic Halibut – on Minted, smashed Green Peas, shredded Potato Cake, and a Chive-Cream Sauce.

DSC00672.JPG

This was mistake #2. And we should have known better after 8 cruises. The fish in the main dining rooms is usually too well done. And as much as we love fish – especially halibut, we have yet to get a piece that wasn’t badly overcooked.

Normally, we avoid ordering it, but for some reason decided to try it here. Sad to say – this was again cooked to oblivion and very dry. Too bad.

As you can see, we did not fare too well with the entrees.

Time to give dessert a try!

Desserts

What's not to love about the dessert hour on a Disney cruise

as it comes alive full of song and celebration!

(on the menu tonight)

DSC00675.JPG

Sweet Temptation - a trio of baked NY Cheesecake, Sacher Torte and Passion Fruit Crème Brulee

DSC00687.JPG

A big :thumbsup2 Senol made this recommendation and we enjoyed it very much.

Regional Inspirations

Britain – Lemon Sponge Pudding served with Citrus Reduction

DSC00684.JPG

This was just ok. I was surprised to find it was more of a cake vs. pudding. It’s basically a very moist lemon cake with a dollop of not so good non-dairy whip as a garnish.

So a bit of a let down – in that it was labeled “regional” and there are far superior homemade cakes to enjoy throughout the British Isles – as you’ll see when we venture off the ship. (still can’t figure out why it’s called sponge pudding?)

And that concludes our second dinner of the cruise. Overall not bad – some hits with a few misses. We’d have many more dinners to enjoy on the Magic this trip plus 1 night out in Dublin.

As night fell, we took a stroll on the Promenade deck to catch a beautiful sunset and take in one last look at France.

DSC00691.JPG

Up next. sailing back to England

Last edited:
(still can’t figure out why it’s called sponge pudding?)

What I know is a cake is baked in the oven. A sponge pudding is steamed over boiling water on the hob. When the summer has gone it will be lemon and treacle pudding, or spotted dick. I'm salivating thinking about them as I feel the inches adding onto my hips.

What I know is a cake is baked in the oven. A sponge pudding is steamed over boiling water on the hob. When the summer has gone it will be lemon and treacle pudding, or spotted dick. I'm salivating thinking about them as I feel the inches adding onto my hips.

^ Yes, this. You can make a pudding in the oven, but it is still steamed (i.e. you have to construct a water bath for it). I don't know why what we know of as "pudding" in America got that name when it's actually closer to a custard (though it's not really even that).

spotted what?!? :scared1:

I stopped JQ from posting something in jest.

And I had to look this up.

Turns out my reaction is common as noted in this article from daring gourmet
https://www.daringgourmet.com/tradi...steamed-currant-pudding-with-vanilla-custard/

But once I read it through and took a look at those pics, I could see how wonderful this dessert is and why it would be in high regard.

So thank you @OurLuce for this great post which has really been an amazing help in understanding these desserts. I'll have to give sponge pudding another chance if we ever see it on the menu again.

out of curiosity, what name do you use for what we call pudding?

^ Yes, this. You can make a pudding in the oven, but it is still steamed (i.e. you have to construct a water bath for it). I don't know why what we know of as "pudding" in America got that name when it's actually closer to a custard (though it's not really even that).

Interesting. What's funny is that I'm just learning all this now and I spent 12 nights in the British Isles.
and I agree with you, our use of the word pudding in the US couldn't be more opposite to England.

In fact, we recently enjoyed this dessert at the new Ale and Compass restaurant in Disney's Yacht Club.

"pudding trio" - butterscotch raspberry and chocolate

20180516_141428.jpg

This was amazing and I highly recommend. (I could swear the butterscotch had real scotch in it)

Last edited:
Hi all. It was late last night when I posted. In the UK pudding is a synonym for dessert. We don't just have steamed puddings (she says happily, which is one of the reasons i am pooh sized). There are wonderful things like summer pudding (bread molded into the inside of a bowl and then filled with a compot of summer fruits like blackberries rasberries red currents etc. Whis is then topped with more bread. Juice poured over the top and then pressed down and left in fridge overnight so the juice soaks into the bread. Turn out before eating. Served with lots of cream)
And even a 'queen of puddings ' and 'boiled baby' which is, if i remember correctly, a suet pudding with lots of dried fruit which was rolled in a cloth before being boiled (No babies were used).

Hi all. It was late last night when I posted. In the UK pudding is a synonym for dessert. We don't just have steamed puddings (she says happily, which is one of the reasons i am pooh sized). There are wonderful things like summer pudding (bread molded into the inside of a bowl and then filled with a compot of summer fruits like blackberries rasberries red currents etc. Whis is then topped with more bread. Juice poured over the top and then pressed down and left in fridge overnight so the juice soaks into the bread. Turn out before eating. Served with lots of cream)
And even a 'queen of puddings ' and 'boiled baby' which is, if i remember correctly, a suet pudding with lots of dried fruit which was rolled in a cloth before being boiled (No babies were used).

wow! Who's hungry?

Great post @OurLuce. This all sounds so wonderful. I wouldn't be able to resist myself. I still remember the outstanding slices of homemade cake we managed to sample on this trip, which is something we could use a lot more of here in the states.

Did not realize pudding was a synonym for dessert in the UK. Very good to know. Thank you.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much we missed on this cruise.

(yeah, we're tired)
Quite understandable you had a very long day in France!

I like that the menu has regional inspirations. I feel like when I travel by cruise I don't want to eat too many meals away from the ship because those are already paid for, but this allows you to get a taste of the countries you're visiting.

dsc00642-jpg.334557

Liverwurst isn’t my thing, but JQ grew up with it and doesn’t mind it at all.
:crazy2:

This looks delicious!

dsc00665-jpg.334581

This is not a bad dish. But I should have gone with the Chicken Kiev.

Sure there's only a few shrimp, but it's a little heavy with the curry and comes with a ton of rice. And after the bread course + 4 starters, we would have preferred something lighter. By the time it was served, it was late - we were tired - and it wasn’t worth changing. So we ate what we could.
This looks like something I would enjoy. I love curry and shrimp. I feel like on cruises I either eat wayyyy to much or I have no appetite and eat nothing.

Up next. sailing back to England
Yay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!