Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

Disney Magic 12nt. British Isles
Monday, July 10, 2017
Cruise Day 2 – Le Havre, France

weather: Normandy partly cloudy high 67 °F / 19 °C

Tour stops #4 & #5 - Omaha Beach & Pointe du Hoc

After visiting the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial, it was time to set foot where our US ground troops landed on D-Day.
It’s now 3:30 pm. We’ve got 1hr and 30 min. left to tour for the day before heading back to the ship.

With only 15 min being given to the American landing beaches. (not nearly enough time)

So where are we exactly?

We’ve just left the American Cemetery (Colleville-sur-Mer) and are en route to the Memorial d’Omaha Beach (Saint Laurent-sur-Mer) at Les Moulins Draw (D-3).

labeled "Monument" here

(stock photo 1)

omaha beach 23.jpg

notes:

- Les Moulins Draw D-3 (a/k/a Exit D-3 or D3) = the Draw at “Dog 3” sector
(one of the 5 exits our US troops cleared to advance off the beaches on D-Day)

- The WN markers = the German Defense positions aimed at the beach

Let me stop right here and give the 2 second cliff notes. (something I regret not having when we were there)
  • The Allied invasion of Normandy spanned over a 54 mile coastal region. Far too large an area to visit in 1 day.
  • Of the 5 landing beaches (Sword/Juno/Gold/Omaha/Utah), Omaha is the longest at 6 miles – with approx. 3 miles designated to the amphibious assault on D-Day.
  • This 3 mile stretch of beach was strategically divided into 4 U.S. landing sectors on June 6, 1944:
Charlie | Dog | Easy | Fox

With Dog | Easy | Fox further sub-divided:​

Dog Green | Dog White | Dog Red
Easy Green | Easy Red

Fox Green
| Fox Red

(stock photo 2)

omaha beach 12.png

• Among the first orders, were to secure the beach and clear the 5 Exits/Draws (D-1 | D-3 | E-1 | E-3 | F-1)
"The five exists from the beach were given identifying codes:

Exit D-1 was between Charlie and Dog Green, and led to Vierville-sur-Mer.
Exit D-3 was next, between Dog Red and Easy Green, and led to Mont les Moulins.
Exit E-1 was in the centre of Easy Red, and led to St. Laurent.
E-3, in the centre of Fox Green and F-1 at its eastern end, led to Colleville-sur-Mer."

• You’ll often hear the Ranger Battalions and the 29th and 1st Infantry Divisions spoken of with respect to D-Day.
I. US troops assigned to the western half of the beach
(Charlie
/ Dog / and Easy Green Sectors)

29th US Infantry Division, Blue and Gray (newer National Guard unit. Many had never seen combat)
Their insignia: patch with the yin-yang symbol: left side blue / right side gray

2nd Ranger and 5th Ranger Battalions (non-divisional units comprised of volunteers from all branches of the US army) redirected from Pointe du Hoc to assist the 29th.

Their insignia: blue rhombus (diamond shape) trimmed in gold with "RANGERS" in the center. (Rangers of the 2nd and 5th Battalions painted an orange diamond on the backs of their helmets. Within this diamond was a black numeral indicating their battalion)

II. US troops assigned to the eastern half of the beach
(Easy
Red and Fox Sectors)

1st US Infantry Division (1 IF) – Big Red One (most experienced best trained army we had)

Their motto: “No Mission Too Difficult, No Sacrifice Too Great – Duty First”
Their insignia: army green pentagon with a "1" in big red color in the center - (soldiers were known to paint this on their helmets)

That's about it for the basic introduction. Really hope it proves helpful to anyone planning a visit.

Now back to stop #4 – Omaha Beach ………….

What happens on a single day excursion like this, is that you only have time to see the major sites and wind up doing a drive-by of the many remnants of WWII as you move in and around these areas.

So we never get the chance to see:

1. Any Omaha Beach American Monuments and Memorials - dedicated to the many divisions of the US armed forces who landed here.

(stock photo 3) - We visit nothing listed on this map Red Circle = our bus drop off point

Omaha-Beach-Mapb.jpg

Here we barely catch a glimpse of #6 - the National Guard Monument as we exit the beach via Vierville Draw D-1.
(sits atop a WN72 casemate which houses an 88 mm cannon)

DSC00491.JPG

and of #8 “Ever Forward” - memorial dedicated to the 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division.

DSC00493.JPG

(just incredible - to capture war and peace together here given their badge is the yin-yang design)

DSC00494.JPG

"In commemoration of the determined efforts by the soldiers of the
29th Division's 116th Infantry Regimental Combat Team who landed the
morning of June 6, 1944 on this section of Omaha Beach, known as Exit D-1,
to open the Vierville Draw behind you to begin the liberation of Europe."

2. Nor do we stop at any of what remains of the many German Defenses (bunkers/pillboxes gun turrets /etc.) our soldiers battled as they landed on Omaha Beach.
(we do tour the defenses at Pointe du Hoc)

(stock photo 4) (fyi - we don't walk this section of beach)

omaha 21jpg.jpg

3. Nor do we visit any Museums in close proximity to Omaha Beach (there are 4)

We pass right by the 3 most popular:

#1). Musée D-Day Omaha (Vierville sur Mer) website: http://www.dday-omaha.fr/en/contact/

"At OMAHA Beach,since 1999, the collection of Mr. Michel BRISSARD has been housed in the town building originally built by American engineers.

Upon your arrival outside the museum, you’ll be able to admire the LCVP “Higgins Boat” barges (unique at OMAHA Beach sector), an armored turret and a collection of rare objects dating from the Second World War such as the Goliath tank, the paratrooper-motorbike or the Enigma encoder.

A slide-show on Vierville-sur-Mer (DOG GREEN sector) and several display windows present a selection of items used by German and Allied forces whose technology can still be found in our current daily life."

(we drove by upon exiting Omaha Beach - Vierville Draw D-1 on our way to Pointe du Hoc)

DSC00502.JPG

They have an impressive outdoor museum as well.
  • A LCVP landing barge
  • Mulberry A floating bridges (300 ton)
  • A German armed coastal defense turret (60 ton)
  • Several artillery objects
  • And many more pieces

with a tetrahedron being used to direct parking. (not sure how I feel about this)
(if you zoom in you'll notice the Rangers, 29th and 1st Division troop insignias draped on the side of that building)

DSC00508.JPG

what’s a tetrahedron?

one of the many obstacles the soldiers had to fight their way through to get off the beaches.

(stock photo 5)

omaha beach 9.jpg

Continued…………….

Last edited:
Disney Magic 12nt. British Isles Cruise
Day 2 – Le Havre, France

DCL excursion D-Day Landing Beaches (adults only)

Stop #4: Omaha Beach
(3:30 to 3:45 pm) Saint Laurent-sur-Mer

……….continued

The DCL title “D-Day landing beaches (LH12)” for this 11 hr. excursion is a misnomer.
Especially when you consider they cut out ALL 5 landing beaches from their itinerary (with the exception of a 15 minute walk on Omaha Beach).

That would include all monuments, memorials, US and German strategic positions, and all 4 museums within this area that we never get the chance to stop and see.

And for as much as I loved this tour, it comes at a big trade off with not being able to spend any real time at one the most important places in history.

So I’ll try to show Omaha Beach as best I can for anyone considering this excursion or planning a private visit or thinking of booking a tour on their own beyond the confines of what the DCL offers.

Starting with the other 2 museums we pass right by:

#2) The Overlord Museum (near the Cemetery) - website: http://www.overlordmuseum.com/en/

This museum is fairly new - opened in 2013

• Located on the D514 near the American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-mer. Overlord Museum chronicles the period of the Allied landing until the liberation of Paris. The collection was collected by someone who was both a witness to the conflict and involved in the reconstruction of Normandy. Personal items from individual soldiers and armoured fighting vehicles from the six armies in Normandy will be presented as a series of reconstructions showing over 35 vehicles, tanks and guns.
  • The Leloup collection has been built up over half a century of research, salvage and purchases of historic pieces from the Normandy battlefields. Everything from a reconnaissance plane, V1 flying bomb, more than 10 armoured fighting vehicles, 30 soft skin vehicles, artillery pieces, poster, signs, documents and personal objects all bearing witness to the terrible fighting in 1944.
  • Restoration of many of the vehicles to full running order. Some uniform items found on the battlefield represent a complete collection from all of the combatants during the 1944 campaign in Normandy.

There are several tanks displayed on the front lawn:

Incl. a Canadian Sexton self propelled gun (25 pounder)

DSC00405.JPG

and an M10 “Wolverine” Tank Destroyer and M4A1 Sherman

DSC00406.JPG

#3) The Musée Mémorial d’Omaha Beach – (practically right at our drop off point)

Note: This museum is within walking distance of the section of Omaha Beach we stop at - just up ahead

IMG_0629.1.JPG

• "The 1200m² museum showcases an important collection of uniforms, vehicles, personal objects, arms, weapons.
  • Many reconsitutions of American and German service life dive you into the heart of the D-day story permitting a peep into the daily lives of all those who landed to liberate us and to whom we owe our profound respect. Superb archival photographs and explanatory notes on the landing at Omaha. Thematic signs depicting all the phases of the period of the occupation until the landing.
  • At the end of the visit a film featuring veteran’s testimonies, will guide you through the story of the D-day landing on Omaha and Point du Hoc."

It was striking to see a visitor casually reading up against an Element C (Belgian gate) as we pass by. (Not sure how I feel about this either)

DSC00465.JPG

Finally, we arrive at Omaha Beach.

As you can see - this is a very popular drop off point with tour busses.

DSC00468.JPG

Our coach joined in and parked at the front of the line still growing off to the left of the roundabout. With everyone instructed to quickly get off and right back on.

(you can see even more busses rolling in behind us - follow that red and white coach)

IMG_0635.JPG

they were parked even further away than we were.

DSC00483.JPG

I suspect this part of Omaha Beach is where they bring all the large groups. (I counted 10 busses among these 3 photos alone)

We are dropped off where the Mémorial d'Omaha Beach and Le Braves war memorial are located

(stock photo 6)

omaha beach 18.jpg

(Note: Both memorials are non specific dedications from the French govt. So they aren't listed among the designated US memorials on the Omaha Beach monument map I posted earlier)

Mémorial d'Omaha Beach is dedicated to the Allied forces who landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day.

IMG_0637.JPG

Les Braves is a war memorial that commemorates the fallen American soldiers of World War ll who have lost their lives on the beaches of Normandy, June 6th 1944"

DSC00471.JPG
  • “It represents three elements: The Wings of Hope, Rise Freedom, and the Wings Of Fraternity. French sculptor Anilore Banon, created the monument in 2004, commissioned by the French government to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the D-Day Invasion Of Normandy.
  • “In the center, there are seven stainless steel columns and a group of five columns that curve upwards, two columns stand upright, with the tallest reaching 30 feet. Stainless steel wings gracefully stand on both sides.
  • Intended only as a temporary art piece, the sculpture still stands on the shores of Omaha Beach widely due to public interest and petition. The sculpture has been described as a blend of art and nature and has been able to withstand the forces of nature surprisingly well.”

Again, we are allowed only a 15 minute stop.

last but certainly not least to be continued in the next post….…….

Last edited:

No worries, we get it.... :)

thanks for being so patient. couldn't be helped unfortunately but I'm determined to write feverishly and fervently to get this done. Tough balance.

It's almost mind boggling to consider the planning and sheer courage and tenacity of those who participated in this day. Thanks for the update!
well said and I couldn't agree more. I felt the exact same way. thanks so much..

Superb installment! We needed 3 days to even scrape the surface of their accomplishments. Also, I appreciate that the area and surroundings remain in a very natural state...not over-developed.
Upon our return I plan on visiting museums and our monuments. I will also walk as much beach as possible.

I try to imagine being in a landing craft when the ramp drops...I guess there was no turning back at that point. These men went forward into harms way...a fight for survival. Many never made it off the boat.
Perspective is important. Poison is doing a great job emphasizing this. Never forget the men.

Superb installment! We needed 3 days to even scrape the surface of their accomplishments. Also, I appreciate that the area and surroundings remain in a very natural state...not over-developed.
Upon our return I plan on visiting museums and our monuments. I will also walk as much beach as possible.

I try to imagine being in a landing craft when the ramp drops...I guess there was no turning back at that point. These men went forward into harms way...a fight for survival. Many never made it off the boat.
Perspective is important. Poison is doing a great job emphasizing this. Never forget the men.

Wish I could say this will happen next year, but I'm not sure how the timing will work here since again, we've got a lot of ground to cover and we're at the mercy of a tour company. Not to mention all the 75th anniversary commemorations taking place. I hope there's at least a few days set aside for the Omaha and Utah beach areas alone, including where the Airborne divisions landed.

I'm sure it'll be very crowded with an incredible series of events taking place. Can't wait.

and who knows? you may even get to see that landing craft up close and in motion. :confused3

It's almost mind boggling to consider the planning and sheer courage and tenacity of those who participated in this day. Thanks for the update!

I strongly suggest/recommend reading the Stephen Ambrose book “D-Day” before visiting or touring. I just finished it. It helps you to see exactly what those solders and generals and planners went through to pull off the initial Landings...planned down to the minute of what was supposed to happen or where a unit was supposed to be, and what they’d have to do when plans when awry. Thr sheer numbers of people involved... and to learn that the American cemetery has only about 40% of our casualties as the rest were returned to US after the war. The book also includes fhe British and Canadian landings. Well worth the time to read if you want to learn and understand more about the sacrifices that were made. Also,have some tissues as some parts are very sad.

Poison & JQ- reading the trip report on what you had to miss there on this excursion....DDay 75 crowds or not you will still be able to experience so much more next year.

I strongly suggest/recommend reading the Stephen Ambrose book “D-Day” before visiting or touring. I just finished it. It helps you to see exactly what those solders and generals and planners went through to pull off the initial Landings...planned down to the minute of what was supposed to happen or where a unit was supposed to be, and what they’d have to do when plans when awry. Thr sheer numbers of people involved... and to learn that the American cemetery has only about 40% of our casualties as the rest were returned to US after the war. The book also includes fhe British and Canadian landings. Well worth the time to read if you want to learn and understand more about the sacrifices that were made. Also,have some tissues as some parts are very sad.

Poison & JQ- reading the trip report on what you had to miss there on this excursion....DDay 75 crowds or not you will still be able to experience so much more next year.

Thanks @Mathmagicland. Great advice to get a copy of the Stephen Ambrose book. It's among the best of the best from what I hear. We plan to do so and look forward to reading it.

I just learned my parents were visiting France during the D-Day 60th. They stayed in the town of Dreux, France, and still had the event guide from 2004. It's a pretty thick booklet. Along with the D-Day activities, many towns hosted their own celebrations marking the day they were liberated, so the anniversary events spanned well past June 6.

and I agree with you. we're going to be able to do so much more next year compared to the 1 day we had with the cruise. Iron Man really wants to see the paratrooper memorial to John Steele in Sainte Mere Eglise. Love that To Tell the Truth episode he was featured in back in 1962.

I'm hoping to be able to see the military tributes as well as the many collections out and in full display.

dsc00471-jpg.320862

• “It represents three elements: The Wings of Hope, Rise Freedom, and the Wings Of Fraternity. French sculptor Anilore Banon, created the monument in 2004, commissioned by the French government to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the D-Day Invasion Of Normandy.
  • “In the center, there are seven stainless steel columns and a group of five columns that curve upwards, two columns stand upright, with the tallest reaching 30 feet. Stainless steel wings gracefully stand on both sides.
  • Intended only as a temporary art piece, the sculpture still stands on the shores of Omaha Beach widely due to public interest and petition. The sculpture has been described as a blend of art and nature and has been able to withstand the forces of nature surprisingly well.”
This is really cool looking and the history behind it interesting too. I find it really impressive they could get something that's on sand to stay for so long.

Thanks @Mathmagicland. Great advice to get a copy of the Stephen Ambrose book. It's among the best of the best from what I hear. We plan to do so and look forward to reading it.

I just learned my parents were visiting France during the D-Day 60th. They stayed in the town of Dreux, France, and still had the event guide from 2004. It's a pretty thick booklet. Along with the D-Day activities, many towns hosted their own celebrations marking the day they were liberated, so the anniversary events spanned well past June 6.

and I agree with you. we're going to be able to do so much more next year compared to the 1 day we had with the cruise. Iron Man really wants to see the paratrooper memorial to John Steele in Sainte Mere Eglise. Love that To Tell the Truth episode he was featured in back in 1962.

I'm hoping to be able to see the military tributes as well as the many collections out and in full display.
Wow -how neat to find that 60th anniversary event guide. I’ve been reading that many small towns in Normandy also have museums or tributes of their own. I too am looking forward to the vehicles on parade along the beaches, and Am hoping for aircraft & parachute reenactments as well.

This is really cool looking and the history behind it interesting too. I find it really impressive they could get something that's on sand to stay for so long.

It's really quite a sculpture on that beach. I wish we hadn't rushed right passed it when we got there, but these excursions tend to do that with the timing. (especially a 15 minute stop)

Most of our photos are angled or far shots and I remember not really standing directly in front of it to reflect and take a closer look. Something I'll hopefully get the opportunity to do next year. But with 3 miles of beach to cover around a myriad of anniversary events, probably heavily congregated at this particular draw D-3, we'll see what kind of time will be afforded our group to this spot.

It seems to be the biggest tourist attraction at Omaha Beach which is interesting, given it's not an official US dedicated memorial.

Wow -how neat to find that 60th anniversary event guide. I’ve been reading that many small towns in Normandy also have museums or tributes of their own. I too am looking forward to the vehicles on parade along the beaches, and Am hoping for aircraft & parachute reenactments as well.

I was surprised when my parents told me this last week. Why I didn't realize it at the time they went just reinforces the fact that this entire area is a missing chapter in my own personal history notes. And it makes sense that the neighboring towns would have their own anniversary dates to mark the exact day they were liberated as well.

One thing that struck me is how much of our equipment and supplies were left behind. Though I have yet to see what we've retrieved here in the US on display, the majority of the war artifacts remain overseas.

This is one of the best trio report threads have read!! Thank you for posting! We are on the 7 night British Isles cruise this September and can not wait. I am excited for your reports on Greenrock, Dublin and Liverpool. We are doing everything on our own we think. Thanks again for posting!!

This is one of the best trio report threads have read!! Thank you for posting! We are on the 7 night British Isles cruise this September and can not wait. I am excited for your reports on Greenrock, Dublin and Liverpool. We are doing everything on our own we think. Thanks again for posting!!

Thank you and welcome! Glad to have you along. Great decision to book the 7nt. BI cruise. It's going to be a great time and I really wish we were going along too.

Greenock Dublin and Liverpool are all fantastic ports of call. You'll have no trouble touring on your own but if you are considering a private tour, I'd recommend reserving a spot soon as they do sell out.

I'll be posting about each one in detail over the next couple of weeks.

So stay tuned! Hope you enjoy it.

Hi Poison Ivy, JQ, IM . Just came across your trip report while looking for a recent "after upgrades" report on the Magic. We'll be doing a 5 day late April '19 from Miami. Looks like you all had a fantastic time. I'll be following for the rest of your report. Loving your pictures. Hope you are all well.

Hi Poison Ivy, JQ, IM . Just came across your trip report while looking for a recent "after upgrades" report on the Magic. We'll be doing a 5 day late April '19 from Miami. Looks like you all had a fantastic time. I'll be following for the rest of your report. Loving your pictures. Hope you are all well.

Hi Henlady, nice to hear from you. We hope you guys are all doing well. Everyone here is good, just got back from a week in Disney with Pi's parents...quite a week. Rented 2 scooters...talk about logistics.

We booked an October '19 Magic from NYC with an overnight in Bermuda. We've never been there. Contemplating switching to Member Cruise which stops in Boston.

We were on a different cruise line in 2016 and had a private guide for Normandy that was fantastic. We were lucky enough to stop at the Vierville Draw and see the National Guard Monument and the Ever Forward statue. Here is a stitched pano from just about the water line looking at what the soldiers would have seen. To the right is the actual draw and the National Guard Monument. What an amazing day made even more memorable now with Memorial Day in a couple days. We only drove past the memorial you stopped at.
27502737327_b4744f76fc_h.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter