Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

That farmhouse looks gorgeous.

There is bread served with every meal in France sometimes butter is provided but often not. The only time jam would be provided would be with breakfast. The bread is often used to mop up the juices/sauces from your plate.

From the size of the cups it looks like an espresso coffee which are traditionally served black with or without sugar depending on taste. And you were correct the chocolate is to eat with the coffee - a common thing in France and UK after a meal.

Im from UK but have spent a lot of time in France including Normandy so am really enjoying reading your report

Ah Yes! That lunch was a great experience. The farm is beautiful. I strolled all around after the 1st course and really enjoyed the meal.

The ancient stone walls and beams make for a very comfortable, unique atmosphere set in the classic, French countryside.

your pic with the lounge chairs is one of my favorites.

That farmhouse looks gorgeous.

There is bread served with every meal in France sometimes butter is provided but often not. The only time jam would be provided would be with breakfast. The bread is often used to mop up the juices/sauces from your plate.

From the size of the cups it looks like an espresso coffee which are traditionally served black with or without sugar depending on taste. And you were correct the chocolate is to eat with the coffee - a common thing in France and UK after a meal.

Im from UK but have spent a lot of time in France including Normandy so am really enjoying reading your report

Thank you so much for posting this. As you can see, not knowing the many differences (big or subtle) between what is common in France or Ireland or the UK compared to here in the US was one of the challenges we'd encounter as first time visitors. Of course being on a large group tour surrounded by Disney cruisers from back home does little to bridge this gap.

The traditional use of bread not requiring butter was common in my family growing up and a welcome change to see at a restaurant in France. Much better than the "bread with butter" and "condiments ready at the table" practice we now have in the US.

And thanks for letting me know that was probably an espresso we had. I smiled when I read this because the cup clearly says kimbo "espresso" right on it. I believe the server asked if we wanted "coffee" when he came around which led to my assumption it was regular coffee. Coffee vs. tea was another issue entirely on this trip!!

Plus, I'd never tried an espresso so this was a first. It was very enjoyable with that wonderful lump of sugar they provided and that delicious piece of dark chocolate.

That farmhouse looked like a great place to visit. Very beautiful!

It was. And they get great reviews online, including the lodging. I was really impressed Disney had this booked for an 11hr excursion at that price they charged us, but they do cater to large groups at a reasonable rate. I would love to visit here again, given the opportunity.

I can see why you enjoyed the lunch place...it is beautiful.

Exactly. It's perfect for any age and any traveler to that area. If only I knew then what I know now..................

Last edited:

Disney Magic 12nt. British Isles
Monday, July 10, 2017
Cruise Day 2 – Le Havre, France

weather: Normandy partly cloudy high 67 °F / 19 °C

DCL D-Day excursion (LH12) continued.........

Tour stop #3 – The Normandy American Cemetery

“Hymn to the Fallen”

I’d like to begin our journey into the American sector(s) with this incredibly moving tribute.

Please take the time to reflect……honor and remember.....as we travel in and around these many places today.

"In honor of the soldiers who give us the freedoms we have today."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll be back….

Last edited:
Yes as someone said up above the coffee was probably espresso. I used to (College student living in France) would add the cube of sugar and then dunk the chocolate into the espresso. I always felt very 'civilized' when drinking it. :)

Monday, July 10, 2017

Tour stop #3 – The Normandy American Cemetery

“Hymn to the Fallen”

I’d like to begin our journey into the American sector(s) with this incredibly moving tribute.

Please take the time to reflect……honor and remember.....as we visit in and around these many places today.

"In honor of the soldiers who give us the freedoms we have today."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll be back….

Please pass me another box of tissues.....

we can never repay them enough.

dsc00251-jpg.310116
I love European ice cream, I think it tastes so much better than anything you can find in the US.

This place is just beautiful.
It is so adorable all your pictures make me want to go there.

This looks delicious!

As with the butter and jam, no cream or milk is brought to the table.

Yet on the saucer sits 1 block of sugar with a square of dark chocolate.
That's very interesting how they serve it that way. I don't think I could drink coffee without some sort of creamer.

Following along!

We will be staying in Normandy for 3 nights in June (Courselles-sur-Mer, where the Juno Beach memorial is). I've bookmarked that restaurant so hopefully we'll get a chance to check it out!

Yes as someone said up above the coffee was probably espresso. I used to (College student living in France) would add the cube of sugar and then dunk the chocolate into the espresso. I always felt very 'civilized' when drinking it. :)

Dark chocolate dipped in espresso. I love this.
I almost dropped the whole chocolate square in there but kept thinking "this can't be right." Wonder how that would taste.
I should have looked around to see what others were doing but we had our backs to the room. Too funny.

I love European ice cream, I think it tastes so much better than anything you can find in the US.
It is so adorable all your pictures make me want to go there.
That's very interesting how they serve it that way. I don't think I could drink coffee without some sort of creamer.

JQ and Iron Man love ice cream and it was excellent in Europe. You'll be seeing a few more samples as they had a habit of treating themselves on this trip. IM kept ordering the rum raisin!

You would love that farmhouse. It's a pretty big place and very well run. Great choice to consider if you do manage to visit.
And I'm with you, I didn't think I could drink coffee black w/sugar either, but surprisingly it was no problem. Picture a very strong sweet coffee flavor. A little too sweet, actually with that one cube of densely packed sugar in there.

Following along!

We will be staying in Normandy for 3 nights in June (Courselles-sur-Mer, where the Juno Beach memorial is). I've bookmarked that restaurant so hopefully we'll get a chance to check it out!

Welcome and thanks for following along. Ferme de la Rançonnière would be a great choice for a quick stop or any meal IMO.

From what I've read online, they seem to host tour groups often for lunch, but we didn't interfere with the guests at all, so I'm not sure how they work it. I wish we had the time to walk around and explore the whole place. (and sample that homemade apple sorbet with calvados)
It's really beautiful there.

A 3 night stay in Normandy sounds perfect. Have a wonderful trip!

Last edited:
Please pass me another box of tissues.....

we can never repay them enough.

I cry every time I watch that video. It's overwhelming and truly humbling.

Wow. Amazing video Poison.
A true display of how valuable freedom is.

I remember when we first saw it. Still can't get over how many American lives were lost and how many American Cemeteries there are across Europe and abroad. Especially in France alone.

Thank you for the moving video! My father was a World War II veteran and served in some of those places. May they rest in peace.

Thank you and my sincere gratitude to your father who served. It's been an honor to pay my respects at Arlington, Pearl Harbor and now Normandy. (and Gettysburg as well) Something I hope to continue to do in remembrance of their sacrifice.

Monday, July 10, 2017

DCL D-Day excursion (LH12) continued.........

The order in which this excursion travelled to each site was well planned.

First - explore the beautiful coastal town of Arromanches: rich with museums, shops, cafes and memorabilia.
Next - enjoy lunch at a local farmhouse and sample a taste of the region.

……all very amenable to visitors

and worked well to keep things in perspective as we moved on to the other side of the story:

Stops 3, 4 & 5 – visit among the American sector(s) of D-Day: Normandy American Cemetery / Omaha Beach / Pointe du Hoc

to pay respect to our U.S. soldiers in remembrance, sacred honor and dedication for their service and sacrifice as they bravely fought to liberate France during WWII.

…….followed by a long quiet 2 hr bus ride back to the ship……..

Tour stop #3 – The Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial (Colleville-sur-Mer)

When I posted that tribute video earlier, I was surprised to learn just how many American Cemeteries there are overseas.

DSC00392.JPG

26 total are located in a foreign land or territory – all attended and maintained thru the American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC): https://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memorials/europe/normandy-american-cemetery#.WsEgGmxdNZV

With 8 dedicated to WWI and 14 dedicated to WWII among them.

These cemeteries are permanent military burial grounds granted in perpetuity by respective host countries free of charge or taxation. (except the Philippines)

Background

• On D+2 (June 8) the U.S. Army created the American St. Laurent Cemetery adjacent to Omaha Beach to begin the burials of those who died in the past 36 hours. After the war, the cemetery was moved closer to the beach and rededicated as the Normandy American Cemetery.
  • All temporary cemeteries not designated as permanent were disestablished by the War Department, and the remains permanently interred in accordance with the directions of the next of kin – who were given the option to repatriate their loved ones to the United States or have them buried at an American cemetery overseas.
  • In a few instances the next of kin requested that isolated burials be left undisturbed, and assumed all responsibility for the care of the grave.
  • ABMC’s World War I and World War II cemeteries are closed to further burials, except for the remains of American war dead recovered from time to time in the battle areas.
  • Today there are 124,000 American war dead interred in these cemeteries – including 30,973 from World War I and 93,202 from World War II among them….….

In retrospect, it seems such a small gesture having visited only this one American cemetery overseas. But I was honored and grateful to be here.

Their official visitors guide - 172.5 acres / Dedicated July 18, 1956

normandy23.jpg

We were given an hour to spend here. Which is not enough time. So we had to forego the visitor building. (where Veterans can sign the Veteran's Book, and all others the main Visitors Book)

"Spend time at the visitor centre to hear the story of the battles for Omaha and Utah Beach. Personal accounts, photos, films, interactive displays and a variety of artefacts help to explain the history of the battles, and portray the bravery and sacrifice of the Allied soldiers fighting here."

This is not a small place.

The visitor center and restrooms are near the parking lot (seen on the far right in this aerial photo) and our guide advised to use the facilities first and catch up with the group at The Garden of the Missing.

normandy6.jpg

We first approach The Garden of the Missing with The Memorial featuring the 22 foot bronze statue "The Sprit of American Youth Rising From The Waves" in the background.

IMG_0523.JPG

Missing in action are 1557 names engraved on these walls.

IMG_0535.JPG

This is a very solemn peaceful place.

(view from The Memorial looking out toward The Chapel)

IMG_0546.JPG

With grounds impeccably manicured and maintained.
  • Architects for the cemetery's memorial features were Harbeson, Hough, Livingston and Larson of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
  • The landscape architect was Markley Stevenson, also of Philadelphia.

We felt humbled to walk and pay our respects on dedicated U.S. land

"all of the crosses face West toward home"

"Each grave site is marked by a headstone of pristine white marble. 149 headstones of those of the Jewish faith are tapered marble shafts surmounted by a Star of David. Stylized marble Latin crosses mark all others."

IMG_0621.JPG

9,387 Americans are buried here

Including:

• 3 Medal of Honor recipients (engraved in gold)
  • 4 women - 3 women: Sgt. Dolores Browne, PFC Mary J. Barlow and Mary H. Bankston were killed in the same jeep accident on July 8, 1945. (All were members of the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion – the 1st all-female, all African American battalion to serve overseas) The 4th woman: Elizabeth A. Richardson, was an American Red Cross volunteer killed in a plane crash near Rouen on July 25, 1945. (just over 2 wks. following the Jeep accident that claimed the lives of the other three)
  • 2 sons of President Theodore Roosevelt: Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. - died of a heart attack in France July 12, 1944 (On D-Day, Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. led the first wave of the U.S. 4th Infantry Division’s landing at Utah Beach and earned the Medal of Honor) and Lieutenant Quentin Roosevelt - Air Corps pilot, shot down and killed in action July 14, 1918 during WWI (in 1955 Quentin's body was exhumed from Oise-Aisne American Cemetery and reinterred at Colleville next to his brother)
IMG_0606.JPG

• 1 father and son: Colonel Ollie W. Reed and First Lieutenant Ollie W. Reed, Jr. (both served in WWII. Col. Reed died from wounds suffered in Villebaudon, France on July 30, 1944. His son was killed in combat on July 5, 1944 near Riparbella, Italy and was placed beside his father in the Normandy American Cemetery in 1949)

• 45 sets of brothers - including 2 of the Niland brothers (portrayed in the movie Saving Private Ryan) 2nd Lt. Robert Niland was killed on D Day and Sgt. Preston Niland on June 7th. A third brother was thought killed in the Pacific, so the fourth was allowed home. However, the brother in the Pacific actually survived the war.
  • Army Air Corps crew shot down over France as early as 1942
  • and 307 servicemen who could not be identified.
(Reading these unidentified markers was one of the more difficult moments for me)

IMG_0601.JPG

The cemetery borders on the left flank of Omaha Beach and overlooks the sector where the 1st Division landed on D Day.

We took pause here to look out from the American Cemetery and see what remained of a crippling WN 62 bunker sitting there nestled among kayaking and kite flying on Omaha Beach. very surreal indeed and an important reminder as we got ready to walk this shoreline.

IMG_0591.1.JPG

next up. A spiritual walk on a sacred beach

Last edited:
Great update.

Looking back at these pictures always brings to mind the great courage and dedication of that generation. I worry that it has been lost today.

I'm booking our Normandy anniversary trip today.

With grounds impeccably manicured and maintained.
It's so funny you say this, it was the first thought that popped into my head when I saw these pictures.

This looks like such a moving place to be, I need to get there one day. It is heartbreaking to see how many died during this time.

• 2 sons of President Theodore Roosevelt: Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. - died of a heart attack in France July 12, 1944 (On D-Day, Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. led the first wave of the U.S. 4th Infantry Division’s landing at Utah Beach and earned the Medal of Honor) and Lieutenant Quentin Roosevelt - Air Corps pilot, shot down and killed in action July 14, 1918 during WWI (in 1955 Quentin's body was exhumed from Oise-Aisne American Cemetery and reinterred at Colleville next to his brother)
    I am reading the Steven Ambrose book D-Day to prep for next years trip to Normandy. I just got done reading about Brig Gen Theodore Roosevelt Jr, he wanted to participate in the DDay landing & he had to make multiple requests before his exception to do so was granted. He was the only general to be part of the first waves of landings on D-Day itself.

Great update.

Looking back at these pictures always brings to mind the great courage and dedication of that generation. I worry that it has been lost today.

I'm booking our Normandy anniversary trip today.

true. and that's the problem with history. It fades if not preserved. I'm glad we're taking the time to revisit.

It's so funny you say this, it was the first thought that popped into my head when I saw these pictures.

This looks like such a moving place to be, I need to get there one day. It is heartbreaking to see how many died during this time.

It's incredible to see in person. All of the crosses face the west, toward America. The architecture is so carefully laid out with such symbolism and distinct honor. Right down to the shape and selection of trees being planted. I hope you do get to visit.

• I am reading the Steven Ambrose book D-Day to prep for next years trip to Normandy. I just got done reading about Brig Gen Theodore Roosevelt Jr, he wanted to participate in the DDay landing & he had to make multiple requests before his exception to do so was granted. He was the only general to be part of the first waves of landings on D-Day itself.
His is a fascinating story. Fought in both WWI and WWII. 56 years old at the time of D-Day, with arthritis and a limp from being wounded in WWI plus a heart condition. It's amazing he was cleared for active duty.

It's amazing he was cleared for active duty

Cynically speaking, politics win over common sense and medical fitness for duty even in today's military; I can't imagine it was much different 75 years ago. That said, I appreciate every one of your updates; I learn something new from each one.

Cynically speaking, politics win over common sense and medical fitness for duty even in today's military; I can't imagine it was much different 75 years ago. That said, I appreciate every one of your updates; I learn something new from each one.

thanks. and I agree. as @Mathmagicland was pointing out, Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. had to make several requests before getting that permission. I'm not sure who finally made the decision, but being a distant relative to FDR, that clearance may have gone straight to the top. His father had long passed away by that time.

Assigned to Utah Beach, he was only general among the troops on D-Day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter