Disney looking to buy-up local properties

Wow! That is interesting. Does he live in the S Walnut area? My daughter was looking at a condo there to rent.

It makes sense to try to gather as much property in the area as they can, it's never going to go down in price.

It would make sense, seeing as a lot of backstage areas have been removed in favor of expanding the parks.

They are severely landlocked all around them. It would make huge sense to buy out some more land when they can. Their options are kind of limited, they won't be able to expand much south because of the convention center. They won't really be able to expand much north because of the Santa Ana Freeway. They might have trouble buying out enough of the hotels across the street (Harbor) to make it worth their time and then Harbor is really busy and big, they would have to really do some enginnering to make walking paths over or under Harbor Blvd work. I figure what makes sense the most would be relocating the Downtown Disney, staff, and Simba parking, possibly just south of where it is now or west (looks like residential area). Then expand the park out that way to surround the PPH and have an entrance at Downtown Disney near the DLH. This could be a pretty large expansion of DCA and they could just bridge Disneyland Dr a couple times to connect.

That could give both DLH and PPH a direct entrance into the DCA park which would be pretty awesome.

I find it interesting that they're not shopping under shell companies and whatnot. They could slowly gobble up pieces of land with no one the wiser, but when folks know it's Disney they'll likely raise their prices, especially the last few holdouts who certainly have leverage...

I find it interesting that they're not shopping under shell companies and whatnot. They could slowly gobble up pieces of land with no one the wiser, but when folks know it's Disney they'll likely raise their prices, especially the last few holdouts who certainly have leverage...
It's most likely because anyone with land in the area already knows it's valuable. A property owner is not going to sell for cheap because the buyer is called TotallyNotDisneyCorp.

So there's no scenario here where "no one's the wiser" because any entity trying to buy property near Disneyland is going to be assumed to be buying it for big money development. It doesn't matter if it's Disney, or some other hotel/entertainment company, or some shell company.

I know they used shell companies in Florida for WDW land, but that was before anyone knew what was going on. Once the land is already valuable, there's not much point.

...but when folks know it's Disney they'll likely raise their prices, especially the last few holdouts who certainly have leverage...
Well, here’s a possibility. There’s a law in Chicago that if 3/4 of a condo’s residents agree to sell to an entity, it triggers the sale of the entire building. I wonder if perhaps Anaheim has something similar (that exists largely to benefit Disney) whereby if 3/4 of a neighborhood agrees to sell, all others are also required to. I think it’s fundamentally unfair and I don’t like it but it may be a reality.

A condo building is a different situation than a neighborhood though as you don’t typically own the land beneath and have multiple owners above with fractions of a building. While I’m sure it would be awful if you were in the 1/4 that didn’t want to sell I can see how there would need to be some kind of way to mitigate this if a majority of other residents were willing to sell.

Typically neighborhoods don’t work the same in that each home owner owns their land and has independent control. In that case, the developer is going to “encourage” holdouts both with $$ but also by proceeding with demo and development around them to make things unpleasant...just ask Carl (from Up).

I do find the purchase offer interesting since Disney has had a hard time with the city lately. There was a mention above of buying up Harbor hotels and under or over passes. Disney tried to do just that with the Eastern Gateway project but that was ultimately squashed. Disney does have a bit of a pickle in that they “need” the Harbor and other area hotels because they certainly don’t have enough capacity in the on site ones. It also allows them to keep the onsite ones more exclusive and charge outrageous rates for them.

Ido find the purchase offer interesting since Disney has had a hard time with the city lately. There was a mention above of buying up Harbor hotels and under or over passes. Disney tried to do just that with the Eastern Gateway project but that was ultimately squashed. Disney does have a bit of a pickle in that they “need” the Harbor and other area hotels because they certainly don’t have enough capacity in the on site ones. It also allows them to keep the onsite ones more exclusive and charge outrageous rates for them.
Their relationship will ebb and flow with city over time as the politicians come and go and change their minds when they have those sudden changes of heart. I concur with the above Disney is playing a very long game here as there will undoubtedly be holdouts and in the meantime they’re headed into the rental business in SoCal. Unless they raze the building but you’d think after the Harbor debacle they might have learned that lesson. Well, considering the kicking out of the DtD tenants before they lined up their little city council duckies I’m probably overestimating their common sense.

Not familiar with Anaheim but I would think once they get hold of residential land they would have to get it re-zoned if they did anything with it besides houses. That would definitely require the city’s involvement.

I believe he’s just across Ball Road.
my first thought was the area north of the parking structures. it seems like that would be a difficult area to put enough pieces together to do anything worthwhile.

just speculating, the one area that might make sense is towards the east. maybe it is in the residential area adjacent to the Harbor Cast Member Lot.

Well, here’s a possibility. There’s a law in Chicago that if 3/4 of a condo’s residents agree to sell to an entity, it triggers the sale of the entire building. I wonder if perhaps Anaheim has something similar (that exists largely to benefit Disney) whereby if 3/4 of a neighborhood agrees to sell, all others are also required to. I think it’s fundamentally unfair and I don’t like it but it may be a reality.

What came to my mind was Chavez Ravine in the 50s under the guise of Eminent Domain. Looking at you , Dodgers......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!