Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm jumping in here late and haven't read the previous 40 pages of this thread. But has Disney explained why Disney + app isn't available on all tv's? We have a 2018 Vizio, a 2016 Samsung and a 2014 Panasonic and the app isn't available on any of them. We get Netflix, Amazon, etc on all of them. Why is Disney doing it like this?
It should be available on Samsung. You may have to do an update or something. Disney has not reached an agreement with Visio or Panasonic at this time.

Disney has not reached an agreement with Visio or Panasonic at this time.
Really disappointed that Visio's chromecast doesn't work either. Had planned on getting a Visio 75" TV for downstairs. We'll keep our 47" Sony dumb TV until this all gets worked out. In the meantime, I'll pick up a Chromecast external unit for the bedroom TV.

Really disappointed that Visio's chromecast doesn't work either. Had planned on getting a Visio 75" TV for downstairs. We'll keep our 47" Sony dumb TV until this all gets worked out. In the meantime, I'll pick up a Chromecast external unit for the bedroom TV.
You could get a cheap Roku stick in the mean time. Black Friday deals have those pretty cheap.

Something for picking up where you left off, especially with the series. I have been trying to watch Star Wars Rebels as only seen a few random episodes and it doesn't keep track of where I left off so I have to remember what the last episode I watch was

I know this is sort of "first world problems" but also should be something they could handle

I've used some of the platform's other services in the past and they have that functionality. I strongly suspect that some features have been disabled to try to lessen the load on their servers due to the initial rush.

You could get a cheap Roku stick in the mean time. Black Friday deals have those pretty cheap.

The streaming devices will start at $20.

I personally like the set top boxes over the built in Smart TV services, but then again I use an Apple TV 4K and I refuse to use the Google stuff that's on my TV.

The hardware that's in my device is just a whole lot faster than what they typically put into the TVs.

Has anyone been able to download the app on a Samsung Smart TV? I can't find it on mine and I don't know if it's because it's an older model or if it hasn't launched on Samsung yet (even though I know they reached a deal to get it on Samsung TVs...)

(I do have it downloaded on my phone, though, so all is not lost)
I have a Samsung smart TV, but don't see the Disney+ app? Did you have to download it, or did it just appear with all your other apps?
Anyone find the app on samsung tv? I was able to get it using playstation4 but was hoping to get in on the tv in the kitchen. I tried searching through all the apps and it doesn't come up. I read some people found it on samsung just wondering how they did. Thanks!
How old is your Samsung TV? Ours is from 2015, and I couldn't find the app on there. I did read that the app may only be available on Samsung Smart TV's manufactured from 2016 to present. Thankfully, the 2 TV's we use most often have Roku and Amazon Fire Stick, so we are good to go.
I know it will improve but...

Buffering every 5min is annoying (I have 100mbs service so it’s not my speed)

Browsing is not great. Netflix isn’t great either but at least they have the recommended list based on what you watch.

Wish the back button would go to the top of the menu
I'm just wondering if its specific equipment that is causing some of these issues. I am running Disney+ on a amazon fire box (not fire stick-big difference) and it's been running flawlessly since day one. I also have really good high speed cable internet through comcast at 75mbs. Anyone that having buffering issues is almost certainly on the end user and not Disney+.
I’ve seen skip intro since day 1 as well, I think. It showed up during Imagineering for sure and I was horrified they even thought I would want to 😂.

I can’t believe they don’t have continue watching, they don’t hold your place, and they don’t track your progress in series. Basics. Better be coming. If not I’ll........ sit here and complain but never cancel.
I'm jumping in here late and haven't read the previous 40 pages of this thread. But has Disney explained why Disney + app isn't available on all tv's? We have a 2018 Vizio, a 2016 Samsung and a 2014 Panasonic and the app isn't available on any of them. We get Netflix, Amazon, etc on all of them. Why is Disney doing it like this?
It should be available on Samsung. You may have to do an update or something. Disney has not reached an agreement with Visio or Panasonic at this time.

Even if you bought your Samsung tv in 2016- it could have been made in 2015 and unable to get the app. I am thinking some of these problems that people are experiencing are specific to the platform they are using or caused by their their wifi signal strength.

It took us about 2 days to get the whole thing figured out and running perfectly. Our Samsung smart tv could not get the Disney + app-- we just missed it being new enough. We have a fire stick we have had a while, but never used since our TV got apps directly. Tried that- didn't work. Couldn't get Disney+ on it. Got the PlayStation 4 to work-- buffered quite a bit. Realized all we needed was to update the software on the Fire Stick. Tried that to see if it was better. Fire Stick started working. Still buffering some while we watched a show. Got our wifi booster and plugged it into the wall in the room where the TV is. All buffering stopped-- perfect, smooth, never stops to buffer at all. We use wifi in that room quite a bit and have not had trouble running the Amazon App on the TV to watch content-- but for whatever reason we needed to boost the wifi to stop the buffering on Disney+ . All it took was that wifi booster in the room and no more buffering.

We then took the Fire Stick upstairs to DD's playroom as her TV is not a smart tv. Her playroom is closer to the house wifi router and it worked perfectly up there never buffered. Didn't need a wifi booster.

Wanted to leave the old Fire Stick in DD's tv, so that meant we needed another fire stick as we found it was a lot easier than running it through Playstation 4. Our TV is 4K, so we went out and spent $50 on a 4K firestick (as opposed to the $30 for a non-4K). We now knew to immediately check for updates, and still had to update the software when we plugged it in. Since we did that, it has been absolutely perfect. It does not buffer at all while a show is running. With the 4k fire stick and the wi fi booster in the room, so far we are problem free.

Also, on Disney+ if we stop in the middle of a show and turn everything off, when we come back the show starts right where we left off. It resumes right where we left off even if it is not the same day when we go back to it. We also have been able to pause a show and see how many minutes are left. We have not done a series yet- so I don't know about keeping what episode you are on- but so far we have not had the issues that I have seen others complaining about.

Also, on a non-Disney+ note, I was surprised to find that the picture is so much better when we watch Amazon prime through the 4K firestick as opposed to watching it directly from the app on the TV. I did not expect to see a difference. I was just going to try it once through the stick to see if everything was the same. Now, instead of just using the app on the TV, I only watch Amazon Prime through the 4K fire stick. At least with our TV it really made a difference.

After all that, we were watching Disneyland Around the Seasons, which is actually an episode of Walt Disney's World of Color from 1966 , and not only did we get to see Walt talk about some new Disneyland attractions we got to see the Opening Ceremonies of Disneyland's It' a Small World with all the children from the different countries. My 13 year old DD imagineer wannabe (who can answer any trivia a CM throws at her in the parks and has been known to stump CMs who are trying to stump her) while staring at the TV says almost in a whisper and more to herself than us--- "I read about this--but I never thought I would get to see it." All the trouble of getting the thing hooked up suddenly became worth it. That moment alone was worth the price of Disney+ to me.

All the articles I have read say the user has been hacked and not Disney+' database. It looks like people are falling for phishing emails.

That's part of it but more likely if an unrelated site was hacked and its user list stolen, the bad guys know that "supercooldisneyfa@hotmail.com" has an account on HackedSite.com with a password of "pass123". They assume that most people reuse passwords across different sites. So it's trivial to check if that username/password combo work on other sites. It happens all the time it's just that D+ is in the news this week.

If you're curious about if this might apply to you, you can use a site like https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to check if your email address has been included in any large profile breaches. If your email shows it was in these lists, you should change your passwords immediately, use a password manager to create long complex passwords for each site where you have an account. If a site offers 2-factor authentication, SIGN UP FOR IT!. You can check here to see sites that offer it.

Back on topic - DisneyPlus/MDE/MyDVC sites do not offer 2FA 😠

Should be but isn't. Everything is updated. I checked on the tv and on Samsung's website. Really disappointed in Disney.

Help please. Watching on 12m old Samsung tablet. Watched 20m of imagineering then it started buffering and now can't play anything. Already have a Wi-Fi booster on and watching through the app, tried with Google chrome, didn't work. Any suggestions? In Australia. TIA!!

Why then do I read about Disney needing to make deals with manufacturers?
Because disney isn’t just going to give this service to other companies for free. Netflix does the same thing. Netflix is just more established at this point in time because they have been around longer.

Why then do I read about Disney needing to make deals with manufacturers?

because Disney can’t push software to your tv. Even assuming the development tools they need are available without agreement from the manufacturer (likely for modern TVs that run android, not so much for older TVs), Disney can’t just do this unilaterally.

so if Samsung decide they’re not interested in testing and certifying D+ on older TVs that are no longer on the market, then that’s where the story ends.

Some TV manufacturers have a good record for backporting features to old devices, and some (samsung and LG) have a very bad record.

So we held out for a whole 7 days, lol.

My initial fear was that there just wasn't enough content. I was comparing with Netflix, as I can't justify paying for another streaming service since we still have cable with HBO (that last part makes me sound old). Netflix has a ton for kids. Disney + still isn't there, or even close, but at the price point I feel its just enough for us to make the switch (and save a whole $6 per month). I'm hoping they add more, especially to the Disney Jr section, but with the NatGeo stuff its what I would call the "bare minimum" needed for us to pull the trigger.

That said, if they don't continue adding shows/content, I don't see us keeping it after a year. Mandalorian is great, and so far is the highlight of the whole thing.

Is there a place to find out about D+ software updates? Curious when they plan on rolling out the ability to mark things you have watched and have a status bar show how far into an episode/movie you have gone.

Be just curious to watch the development.. like a tech blog or something?

So we held out for a whole 7 days, lol.

My initial fear was that there just wasn't enough content. I was comparing with Netflix, as I can't justify paying for another streaming service since we still have cable with HBO (that last part makes me sound old). Netflix has a ton for kids. Disney + still isn't there, or even close, but at the price point I feel its just enough for us to make the switch (and save a whole $6 per month). I'm hoping they add more, especially to the Disney Jr section, but with the NatGeo stuff its what I would call the "bare minimum" needed for us to pull the trigger.

That said, if they don't continue adding shows/content, I don't see us keeping it after a year. Mandalorian is great, and so far is the highlight of the whole thing.
I think ... we consumers need to just evaluate how much time we spend watching shows per month and see if that is worth it. Streaming services is essentially ala carte cable, but you only hvae so much time in a day/week to consume that content. With the ease of signing up and cancelling ... no harm in just subscribing when you feel you will use it more (like winter break). I do that with music streaming services -- Just get them for a month or two (like Amazon Music for the holidays).

I am sure they will add (or rotate) in new content. I am lucked in for 3 years and at the price I paid .. it is not like it is a big expense .. literally skip getting a coffee or dessert when going out to eat and it is paid for.

I like D+ for having a plethora of content available for Family movie night ... I will finally get to watch those straight to DVD sequels of the beloved 90s classics ... I watched Aladdin 2 ... worth a 1 time viewing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!