Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a roku tv, had to log on several times to access the app. The home screen doesn't fully download, the bottom of the screen is blank. Appears that I can launch most movies if I go directly to the icon for the movie and not from the home screen.

I have not heard about the older Clone Wars show being on there - it would be nice though. They don't consider it canon anymore, but there are a few surprising deep cuts animation wise on there already so you never know.

Thanks! I remember watching the original and loving it because of the animation, but never kept up after. Guess I can start a new binge now!

I don't disagree with that - pushing that demand is super high is good marketing

just commenting more on how they phased the statement that it was "unexpected"
Yep. I could have told them demand would be very high just based on discussions here and elsewhere.

Thanks! I remember watching the original and loving it because of the animation, but never kept up after. Guess I can start a new binge now!

The CG Clone Wars cartoon was definitely inspired by the look of the Genndy Tartakovsky series and is also very good. Stick with it as it takes a while to ramp up. I am so excited for new episodes!

Sooooooo....glitches already! Lol. This is the error I got most of the morning. And my internet was working just fine for every thing else and all my other apps! Lol. Disney+.... nice try but I think that’s NOT why mine isn’t working!! Sorry pic is sideways... couldn’t get it turned the right way. 6BD36E0D-1091-4546-84A6-78AC782AE335.jpeg

2 hours 30 min on hold to get disconnected...
So after a 2nd round of being on hold for 2 hour 30 min...I had a 15 minute conversation in which the customer service reps explained to me that it was a launch day glitch.
I burst out into laughter...and then explained to her that I believed that my devices were being profiled and blocked, and what a relief to find out I was wrong. The long 20 sec silence was followed by her laughing hysterically.
At the end of the day it's a first world problem...so a little perspective. She promised that i was added to the list of growing issues they have had. I'm hopeful i get online by tonight.

I watched Episode I of Star Wars early this morning (as in 2 am) and about 10-ish watched The Imagineering Story. No problems with those at all.

Oh, and The Imagineering Story is a must watch for anybody interested in the history of the parks and how things are done.

I just got our profiles customized. It seems like a small thing, but it wasn’t working for hours. The app is faster too. Seems like things might be moving a little smoother already.

I read somewhere that it was estimated that 8 million would be subscribed in the first week. That sounds very low to me.

Once all the glitches are hammered out I think this will be a great service.

Started watching the mandalorian. Not sure how i feel about it yet. Pacing seems a bit slow with not very much character devekopment. But still not too far in.

As an aside toms guide is posting a tip for dealing with some glitches. https://www.tomsguide.com/news/disney-plus-having-technical-errors-on-launch-day

Also they list all the app downloads https://www.tomsguide.com/news/disney-plus-app

Just a heads up. Their site while informative runs pretty abnoxious adds for mobile users.

Apologies if this was addressed already, but couldn't find the topic. Did anyone take advantage of the D23 offer to prepay for 3 years at a reduced rate? How did you first log into the Disney+ app today? I'm a little confused. It didn't seem to recognize the email address I used to get the D23 offer and now it seems like it wants me to sign up like I'm a new user. How does it know I already prepaid? It doesn't appear to give me an option for this. I also can't seem to find any confirmation email when I purchased the 3-year plan. I just have the confirmation from my Pay Pal account. Help! Been on hold waiting for Disney Help Desk for 3 hours! I don't think they were ready for Prime Time!

I mean, it may be that for 364 days this year, they don’t need to meet the demand of a billion people streaming Mandalorean at 5:00 AM, so they didn’t build the system that way. It’s just this one day where there will be extraordinarily high demand when everything is new and everyone tries to get on at the exact same moment. It wouldn’t make fiscal sense to overbuild a system to meet a level of demand that will immediately taper offend then level.

Netflix and other more mature streaming systems don't have this issue. Stranger Things dropping at midnight in July is analogous here. They should have expected this. They should have been ready.

What happens when Mandalorian S2 drops or whatever popular new content is added?

no but they could have released the app early so people got get all their log in credentials squared away and just make sure the system was working on their set up, etc. - or phased it in - let those who signed up early get in a day early, etc.

My point was why do they see this (even if just moementary) as "unexpected demand" - of course there is high demand for it! you could have taken steps to reduce the launch day surge

Yup. Make the app available for download early.

"Click on this video of a loop of Steamboat Willie to test your account and to test your TV resolution and to test that your internet connection can handle 1080P or 4K content."

Do that in the week(s) leading up to the official launch date and spread out the new account load and give everyone a better experience.

I mean, it may be that for 364 days this year, they don’t need to meet the demand of a billion people streaming Mandalorean at 5:00 AM, so they didn’t build the system that way. It’s just this one day where there will be extraordinarily high demand when everything is new and everyone tries to get on at the exact same moment. It wouldn’t make fiscal sense to overbuild a system to meet a level of demand that will immediately taper offend then level.

I agree. Plus, they couldn't have predicted a snow day for a large swath of the Midwest... everyone and their dog are trying to get on at the exact same time.

Yup. Make the app available for download early.

"Click on this video of a loop of Steamboat Willie to test your account and to test your TV resolution and to test that your internet connection can handle 1080P or 4K content."

Do that in the week(s) leading up to the official launch date and spread out the new account load and give everyone a better experience.
I just... okay. But when ROTR doesn’t work flawlessly on Day 1, everyone is going to say “That’s just how these things go, it’s a complex system” and most people will be expecting it. Netflix has had two decades to refine its platform; it didn’t drop an entire streaming service complete with fifty years of content in an instant. Disney will refine Disney+ as well, and when Mandalorian 2 drops, it will be on a more mature platform with more level demand (I, for one, do not care about Mandalorian and got on D+ today to see the other things available, so I and others like me won’t be among those crowding the system on the first day of Mandalorian 2). Anyway, I’m going to back out of the debate because I know folks who can’t get on are disappointed, and I’m not trying to detract from that. I just think by this weekend, everyone will be on and streaming and the first day difficulties will be forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!