Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ... we consumers need to just evaluate how much time we spend watching shows per month and see if that is worth it. Streaming services is essentially ala carte cable, but you only hvae so much time in a day/week to consume that content. With the ease of signing up and cancelling ... no harm in just subscribing when you feel you will use it more (like winter break). I do that with music streaming services -- Just get them for a month or two (like Amazon Music for the holidays).

I am sure they will add (or rotate) in new content. I am lucked in for 3 years and at the price I paid .. it is not like it is a big expense .. literally skip getting a coffee or dessert when going out to eat and it is paid for.

I like D+ for having a plethora of content available for Family movie night ... I will finally get to watch those straight to DVD sequels of the beloved 90s classics ... I watched Aladdin 2 ... worth a 1 time viewing. :)

That pretty much sums up our decision. While Netflix has so much content, our kids only watch on trips or some on weekends. Disney plus has just enough to fill out our use.

I like D+ for having a plethora of content available for Family movie night ... I will finally get to watch those straight to DVD sequels of the beloved 90s classics ... I watched Aladdin 2 ... worth a 1 time viewing. :)

That's been a big use for us so far - more than I expected. We dont' have a ton of older Discey movies on VHS or DVD or anything so there were a lot of those (for lack of a better term) 2nd tier Disney movies that the kids hadn't seen yet that they are now watching

Plus now rewatching all the Star Wars movies in preparation for episode IX and trying to fit in Clone Wars and Rebels where they fit in the timeline (haven't seen all episodes of that yet).

So at least for the near terem there is a ton of older content to fill our "TV watching hours"

That's been a big use for us so far - more than I expected. We dont' have a ton of older Discey movies on VHS or DVD or anything so there were a lot of those (for lack of a better term) 2nd tier Disney movies that the kids hadn't seen yet that they are now watching

Plus now rewatching all the Star Wars movies in preparation for episode IX and trying to fit in Clone Wars and Rebels where they fit in the timeline (haven't seen all episodes of that yet).

So at least for the near terem there is a ton of older content to fill our "TV watching hours"
There is something to be said about the convenience of not searching and putting in a disc. Despite a large library of Disney movies on disc, I can see storing those away except for car trips. We watched half of Star Wars Episode 2 via disc (son had to get to bed) and watched the rest of it via Disney+ a few days later. :)

Now .. rather than rush into Episode 3, I am going to show him the Clone Wars movie and maybe have him watch the show (not in a huge rush to show him Episode 3 since it is PG-13).

Help please. Watching on 12m old Samsung tablet. Watched 20m of imagineering then it started buffering and now can't play anything. Already have a Wi-Fi booster on and watching through the app, tried with Google chrome, didn't work. Any suggestions? In Australia. TIA!!

Maybe you've already done all of this, but here are the things I would try:
1. Restart your tablet

2. If #1 didn't resolve the issue, try reinstalling the app.

Beyond that, you'll probably have to try getting tech support from Disney+. You should be able to watch on your pc or laptop in the meantime though.

I'm going to preface my question by saying that I have not combed through all these pages so I apologize if this was already discussed. Has anyone upgraded to Hulu and ESPN with a 3 year pre-paid Disney+ subscription? I was curious how they much they charged for the hulu/espn add on per month if you had already pre-paid your Disney+ subscription.

Because disney isn’t just going to give this service to other companies for free. Netflix does the same thing. Netflix is just more established at this point in time because they have been around longer.
Netflix and others PAYthe manufacturers to add their app to the devices. It's a major revenue stream. That's why we're getting such good deals on 4K TVs these days. I'm not privy to those negotiations. But, Disney needs to step up to the plate. But, also, companies like Visio need to quit dragging their feet on basic streaming capabilities. They need to fix their Chromecast app. Maybe they're waiting for someone to pony up some development $$

Netflix and others PAYthe manufacturers to add their app to the devices. It's a major revenue stream. That's why we're getting such good deals on 4K TVs these days. I'm not privy to those negotiations. But, Disney needs to step up to the plate. But, also, companies like Visio need to quit dragging their feet on basic streaming capabilities. They need to fix their Chromecast app. Maybe they're waiting for someone to pony up some development $$
I get what you're saying but at the same time this is still a rollout. You shouldn't expect every single device, TV brand, etc. to have all the capabilities at launch day. That never happens with any company. I am sure as time goes on more devices and brands will get Disney+.

I get what you're saying but at the same time this is still a rollout. You shouldn't expect every single device, TV brand, etc. to have all the capabilities at launch day. That never happens with any company. I am sure as time goes on more devices and brands will get Disney+.

I think the difference in the specific case of Vizio is that it's not the fact the Disney+ is not a built in app within the TV itself. Rather it's the fact that Vizio dropped the ball of updating the firmware of the Chromecast that is built into the TV. Disney had said that from Day 1 Disney+ will work with Chromecast. If you have a product with a Chromecast built into it, and the app that you are using is able to be used with Chromecast, you shouldn't have to deal with the fact that the manufacturer of the product with the built in Chromecast doesn't have their act together with firmware updates. It's not like the Chromecast version on these Vizio TVs is a little out of date. It's way out of date.

Every TV in my house runs on fire tv's. I have a smart tv but it's from 2012 and hasn't had an update since 2015. I have D+ on my fire tv and haven't had a single issue yet

I'm not up to speed on my Disney+ news and I also don't have it. Has there been any word on if any of the Disney anthology TV shows are going to be on it? Like Walt Disney's Disneyland, Wonderful World of Color, Wonderful World of Disney, etc?

There is one 1966 episode of the Wonderful World of Color on it now- Disneyland Around the Seasons, but that is the only one. There are also some original Mickey Mouse Club episodes. There are also some things from those old anthology series I think. DD ran across Davy Crockett which, I could be wrong, but I think was aired as three episodes of one of the anthology shows. She also found the old live actor (not Mickey) Prince and the Pauper, which I think was aired as episodes of an anthology show. So- I think some things that were a part of those series are already on Disney+, just maybe not in the same form.

I have not seen any word on whether more episodes of the anthology shows are coming. We are really hoping so at our house. Those are shows we are really interested in watching. If you click profile and then help -it takes you to a page where you can "request a film or show".

So, will have to check after kids are done watching Olaf’s Frozen Adventure to see if it’s on all titles yet, but there is now a “Restart” button on the selection!! So it seems like they’re updating the app already (this is on our Samsung TV - also haven’t checked iOS or Fire Stick yet to see if there’s any differences there.

Edit: The Restart button is on the other titles we've watched. It's NOT on the iOS version, but it IS there on the Fire Stick.

Last edited:
So, I thought there may have been some additional updates, but now I'm not so sure. I was on our Samsung TV (I believe it's a 2019 - just bought it in September). I noticed that they have now added the "Restart" feature on the titles, which has obviously been a common complaint. I was looking around, and I thought I noticed that they had also improved the highlighting on the selections across the top, i.e., in Movies, when going through the categories at the top, instead of just lightly bolded, the categories were more brightly bolded and were underlined.

However, when I was just checking on the Fire Stick, the Restart option is there, but the menu selections haven't changed - the category you're on is just slightly bolded over the others. The issue with it skipping over categories (then skipping it again when you try to go back) is still there. I'm wondering if there was more of an update on the Samsung, or if that was always the case with the menus/categories, and I just didn't notice because we've mostly been using it on our TV with the Fire Stick?

I'm also curious if there will be anywhere that has information on updates like this - it would be nice if Disney would include somewhere a notification of updates to the service.

Why then do I read about Disney needing to make deals with manufacturers?

Because you are semi correct. There are some devices just not capable of playing disney+. But, there is a ton of equipment out there like your tv that is very capable of playing disney+ and yes, it is 100% on disney+. Disney+ has implemented some crazy overzealous security measures that is keeping the majority of devices from playing it, except for whom they cut deals with. They could very easily tone it down and then so many more devices could download and stream it.

It also appears they are rolling out the progress bar for episodes you watched as well. I haven't seen it, but saw this on reddit:
a39g3lwkzwz31.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!