Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is features like continue watching, keeping track of what episodes you’ve already watched, and holding your place in an episode both on one device and across devices have to be coming shortly, those are basic features at this point.

Yeah, most likely. I did submit feedback over it. Hopefully if it becomes common feedback, they will get to it quicker.

I will say, it does already remember where you left off across devices. I was watching the Jeff Goldblum show last night on my TV, but stopped half way through. Just checked on my phone and it resumed where I left off. Though, my phone app didn't have a "continue watching" section. I remember seeing that in the app on my TV.

It still doesn't work on my Roku. I have one of the supported models. It's impossible to get through to technical support by any method. I've tried the other things people are trying online. After 24 hours I should at least be able to play something. This is more than use "opening day launch" problems.

What's worse is I posted about it on a D23 Instagram and got a bunch of negative comments and messages saying that it is working and that I was stupid/the problem was me. Is that really what people do with their time now?

It still doesn't work on my Roku. I have one of the supported models. It's impossible to get through to technical support by any method. I've tried the other things people are trying online. After 24 hours I should at least be able to play something. This is more than use "opening day launch" problems.

What's worse is I posted about it on a D23 Instagram and got a bunch of negative comments and messages saying that it is working and that I was stupid/the problem was me. Is that really what people do with their time now?

I had problems getting it to load last night on my Roku, well the home page wouldn't load...there was also other functionality the roku wouldn't let me do (edit profile, etc)

Also the text was teeny tinyIMG_20191112_200542.jpg

Edited to remove original reply...

Yeah, most likely. I did submit feedback over it. Hopefully if it becomes common feedback, they will get to it quicker.

I will say, it does already remember where you left off across devices. I was watching the Jeff Goldblum show last night on my TV, but stopped half way through. Just checked on my phone and it resumed where I left off. Though, my phone app didn't have a "continue watching" section. I remember seeing that in the app on my TV.
I hope so too! There is/was another app (maybe HBO GO?) that used to do that too, it wouldn't pull up what you had been watching when you log back in. It's a little annoying, if only because there are SO many things I want to watch! I'm afraid I'm going to start watching something, and then the next day start watching the first thing that pops up haha.

I didn't get around to messing with Disney+ until about 8PM, after work/dinner/putting kiddo to bed. We had no issues downloading the app to our PS4 and couldn't get it on our (likely too old) Samsung Smart TV, which I wasn't surprised by. No issues logging in.

We watched Steamboat Willie as show #1. :teeth: I searched for the Imagineering Story and found it, but then went to play it and it said something about the content not being available. That was pretty disappointing as this was really the thing I was most looking forward to (but I'm looking at it now on the app and it's there as available to play, so hopefully that'll work tonight). Then I went to try to watch The Mandalorian and it kept freezing...so we called it a night on Disney+ and went back to binging Brooklyn 99 on Hulu. Hopefully it'll work better tonight! I also noticed that it looked like Seasons 3 and 6 were missing from The Simpsons, so there are definitely some kinks to work out.

The little glitches/bugs are disappointing, and yeah there wasn't stuff like this with Netflix/Hulu (and I assume Apple's service), but is there really another streaming service launch that can be compared to this one? Any other service that had 10 million people trying to access it on Day 1, and had this amount of content on day 1? I guess issues like this were probably to be expected, and hopefully they'll be ironed out soon!

EDIT: Tried The Imagineering Story again last night and it worked perfectly! Didn't get a chance to re-try The Mandalorian yet.

Last edited:

so still can't get my account to log in to service. Made a free trial account with another email address and it worked perfectly, SMH...at least Mandolorian was good.

Gen X'r here, and I love the service. The biggest thing that hit me when I was scrolling through the whole catalog was "quality." I don't have to start and stop shows because I think they look good from a preview, and then get 10 min in and have it be awful (here's looking at you Netflix). And, I don't want everyday TV shows on there, I want Disney quality content for the whole family, and that's what they gave us. I kind of want to dump Netflix until the next Stranger Things...

I wanted to watch the whole Star Wars Clone Wars series, so that's going to keep me busy for a long while just on its own.

Sadly, that is how a lot of people are now. they get to be jerks under the cover of internet anonymity.

We watched Steamboat Willie as show #1. :teeth:
So .. I have seen Steamboat Willie before. I remember seeing it as a child on Main Street in WDW (when the cinema was still a cinema) ...

You "watch" things in a different way when you have your own children .. for sure.

So .. we watched it yesterday too .. with our small children (3yo and 7yo) . Wow .. was kinda weird watching it with small children. Mickey was rude and crude (and just not nice) and then he goes ... abusing animals to make music and then the hook picks Minnie up by lifting up her skirt ... (in the hooks defense, it did blush) .. ... uhhh. Gotta watch what I am laughing at with the kids watching.

I realize that these cartoons weren't really made for children at the time .. and (just like the old Bugs Bunny cartoons) .. that most of these are written/drawn by ADULT men ... so ya .. there is going to be some slapstick comedy and risque humor in them.

Just saying how you see things through different eyes in different stages of life. It's fine .. my kids thought it was funny, but my wife and I gave each other glances during it (similar to how we give each other glances during the Country Bears show .. heh).

Gen X'r here, and I love the service. The biggest thing that hit me when I was scrolling through the whole catalog was "quality." I don't have to start and stop shows because I think they look good from a preview, and then get 10 min in and have it be awful (here's looking at you Netflix). And, I don't want everyday TV shows on there, I want Disney quality content for the whole family, and that's what they gave us. I kind of want to dump Netflix until the next Stranger Things...

I wanted to watch the whole Star Wars Clone Wars series, so that's going to keep me busy for a long while just on its own.
Same age bracket --- I am tempted to dump Netflix for this .. I think the kids (and I) will find enough content on it (I can watch cartoons on my own and be entertained .. I watch Phineas and Ferb religiously before I even had kids).... but I can't convince the wife yet (who really only watches 1-2 shows on Netflix). My argument is .. there is only so much time for screens in a given day.

So D+ is sorta missing adult SERIES content (except the Mandalorian) .. not sure if my wife and I have interest in those docuseries. Sure .. maybe an episode or two .. but a whole series? Eh. Haven't tried them yet .. but the show like Encore just feels like it is something they throw on the major networks for a few days during the holidays as filler since no one is watching TV and they aren't showing their big sitcoms and dramas during the month of December much.

Sure .. I can probably be content watching re-runs of the old cartoons .. that is something I do with the kids, not just the two of us after bedtime.

Maybe when the D+ library of shows (like Marvel shows) expands .. I can convince her to ditch the Flix.

I actually think it’s working even less today than yesterday. At least for me.

So it turns out pre paying for 3 years of Disney + service with the Chase Visa offer was a waste. I signed up for that at a rate of $170 ($4.72 per month) for 3 years with the $40 coupon so full price was about $210 ($5.83 per month). I signed up for the bundle yesterday and today I got my email telling me I received a credit of $4.72 per month for the subscription I already had so I will be charged for the balance of $8.27 per month.

Now, even at full price that is still a darn good deal in my opinion and in anticipation of this service we cancelled our satellite and now just have Netflix, Disney +, Hulu, and ESPN+ so we are still WAY ahead financially compared to what we were paying before but.....come on. Why did I pay for 3 years in advance to take advantage of the $40 offer only to find out that I'm paying the same amount total anyway?

So .. I have seen Steamboat Willie before. I remember seeing it as a child on Main Street in WDW (when the cinema was still a cinema) ...

You "watch" things in a different way when you have your own children .. for sure.

So .. we watched it yesterday too .. with our small children (3yo and 7yo) . Wow .. was kinda weird watching it with small children. Mickey was rude and crude (and just not nice) and then he goes ... abusing animals to make music and then the hook picks Minnie up by lifting up her skirt ... (in the hooks defense, it did blush) .. ... uhhh. Gotta watch what I am laughing at with the kids watching.

I realize that these cartoons weren't really made for children at the time .. and (just like the old Bugs Bunny cartoons) .. that most of these are written/drawn by ADULT men ... so ya .. there is going to be some slapstick comedy and risque humor in them.

Just saying how you see things through different eyes in different stages of life. It's fine .. my kids thought it was funny, but my wife and I gave each other glances during it (similar to how we give each other glances during the Country Bears show .. heh).
That's a good point! I was definitely giving it the side-eye more than a few times...

So D+ is sorta missing adult SERIES content (except the Mandalorian)...

My husband and I are nature nerds too, so some of the Disney Nature and NatGeo stuff will fill the time when would normally watch a series, but we have Dish too, with all of our local channels, so I think that's why I'm ready to dump Netflixer, at least for 6 months or so.

It's gonna sure be an interesting shakeout from all the new services over the next few years...

As for me, I've got:
- Cable tv basic - looking to purge at Christmas, but waiting to make sure I get a plan with Food Network and Game Show Network, the 2 channels the kids must have - this is not as easy as it looks, at least for beating the price of the cable I already have.
- Netflix (2 devices) - Free (aka - grandfathered in on TMobile Military One plan) - I'd cancel if it wasn't free, but it is - so I watch stuff occasionally - my most recent watch was the Great British Baking show, which I enjoyed
- Amazon Prime - Free - I lived without it for a year, but got back in on the Vet's Deal, but I got it for the free Prime shipping and Xmas music streaming. I don't watch the tv, although I admit my kids are learning something from Horrible Histories - MVP show so far.
- DC Universe - Got a $59 deal for the year last year - will be canceling this one - not enough content, although we have watched Titans and Doom Patrol...but I could just pay to stream those 2 series at the speed we watch them

I think I am gonna cancel Cable TV basic for a Sling TV package (b/c it has my 2 channels), but then sit and see how everything shakes out. My kids don't watch tv or sports, except for the 2 channels mentioned...instead they watch lots of movies and Youtube. And I don't watch as much tv or sports as I used to, but NFL football is a problem I also can't seem to work around b/c even with an antenna, I will get no local channels at my site...although I guess I could always just get an NFL package...but thus, why I'm not canceling til Xmas (and maybe til Feb 14:)...

It's gonna sure be an interesting shakeout from all the new services over the next few years...

As for me, I've got:
- Cable tv basic - looking to purge at Christmas, but waiting to make sure I get a plan with Food Network and Game Show Network, the 2 channels the kids must have - this is not as easy as it looks, at least for beating the price of the cable I already have.
- Netflix (2 devices) - Free (aka - grandfathered in on TMobile Military One plan) - I'd cancel if it wasn't free, but it is - so I watch stuff occasionally - my most recent watch was the Great British Baking show, which I enjoyed
- Amazon Prime - Free - I lived without it for a year, but got back in on the Vet's Deal, but I got it for the free Prime shipping and Xmas music streaming. I don't watch the tv, although I admit my kids are learning something from Horrible Histories - MVP show so far.
- DC Universe - Got a $59 deal for the year last year - will be canceling this one - not enough content, although we have watched Titans and Doom Patrol...but I could just pay to stream those 2 series at the speed we watch them

I think I am gonna cancel Cable TV basic for a Sling TV package (b/c it has my 2 channels), but then sit and see how everything shakes out. My kids don't watch tv or sports, except for the 2 channels mentioned...instead they watch lots of movies and Youtube. And I don't watch as much tv or sports as I used to, but NFL football is a problem I also can't seem to work around b/c even with an antenna, I will get no local channels at my site...although I guess I could always just get an NFL package...but thus, why I'm not canceling til Xmas (and maybe til Feb 14:)...

yeah, I looked into cutting the chord last year but for the channels I would want (some you listed but also some sports) there wasn't an alternative that had everything and then considering that i have my internet in a bundle with cable, so my internet cost would go up if I stripped out the television part of the bundle, and then they gave me a discount to re-up so doign the math it worked out cheaper to just keep cable (well, it's FiOS) than cutting the chord. But will have to re-evalute when up for renewal again

yeah, I looked into cutting the chord last year but for the channels I would want (some you listed but also some sports) there wasn't an alternative that had everything and then considering that i have my internet in a bundle with cable, so my internet cost would go up if I stripped out the television part of the bundle, and then they gave me a discount to re-up so doign the math it worked out cheaper to just keep cable (well, it's FiOS) than cutting the chord. But will have to re-evalute when up for renewal again
The bundle costing is why is till have my directv package. After credits from my cellphone plan I’m paying AT&T approximately $90/month for the directv choice package with HBO and 75 mbps Internet.

Yeah it's just not cost effective for us to cut the cord at the moment. A big one is commercial aspect combined with content available on each streaming service. Also enough of the free or paid plans have tiers for commercials.

The one thing I did think was kinda nice is the Freeform streaming app (which is free). You 'earn' credits by watching the commercials and then in turn can use those credits to watch something non-stop. At least it's not an all or nothing deal there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter