Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having Disney+ for around 24 hours now, I can honestly say that it is really lacking in dramatic content for grown ups. Particularly in binge-worthy television. Lately I've been re-watching The Closer on Amazon Prime and ds12 has been watching Psych, also on Prime. There is just nothing along those lines on Disney+ yet. I know they want to keep any MA content on Hulu, but some sort of cop show or medical drama-type content would be great. I know it's just getting started and I anticipate they'll add some of these things at some point (I hope, anyway), but one of the big questions people had was whether Netflix or Prime should be nervous and I would say, until Disney+ adds more content for adults (again, I'm not talking MA, I'm just talking dramatic television - TV14 or something), I will have to rely on other services for that.

...snip...

Yea I think Disney's strategy is apparent to keep adult content on Hulu. Their recent announcement about moving FX content to Hulu and producing Hulu-exclusive FX series underscores that.

Personally I'm ok with this approach. Right now streaming apps are a bit of a mess - for example my DD can search for a kids movie like "Sing" on the Apple TV, which when found launches the FXNow app. But then she has to traverse age-inappropriate banners for American Horror Story, Taboo and other FX shows to see a kids movie. It's been enough of a problem for us that I contacted FX, who merely told me that they're an "adult network" and that's that (which of course doesn't account for above scenario or them showing kids movies at all.) Seems like Disney may be trying to take this stuff into account going forward by segmenting their content to an extent.

After having Disney+ for around 24 hours now, I can honestly say that it is really lacking in dramatic content for grown ups. Particularly in binge-worthy television. Lately I've been re-watching The Closer on Amazon Prime and ds12 has been watching Psych, also on Prime. There is just nothing along those lines on Disney+ yet. I know they want to keep any MA content on Hulu, but some sort of cop show or medical drama-type content would be great. I know it's just getting started and I anticipate they'll add some of these things at some point (I hope, anyway), but one of the big questions people had was whether Netflix or Prime should be nervous and I would say, until Disney+ adds more content for adults (again, I'm not talking MA, I'm just talking dramatic television - TV14 or something), I will have to rely on other services for that.

We currently have:
Hulu w/ live TV
Amazon Prime
Netflix
Disney+ (3-year D23 deal)

We have Hulu mostly for watching sports, so we usually cancel it after college basketball is done for the year and pick it up again in August/September for football. Prime is something we'll keep just for Amazon shipping, and lately their content has been improving so I'm finding more to watch there. Netflix is, admittedly, growing stale for me. I could see cancelling Netflix while we have Hulu and then reactivating it when we cancel Hulu in the spring. We'll have to see what the kids think. It's purely anecdotal, but this is one middle class family's experience with the streaming decision in 2019.

I do think we're reaching the tipping point in the area of streaming. One need look no further than Playstation Vue to see that the market is beginning to sort itself out.

Disney+ has tons of binge watching type shows, it's just that their all Disney kid friendly. I personally hope they do not add any shows like "the closer" or any content that is mature audience adult only type shows. I mean that's exactly what we already have with Netflix, hulu or amazon, we dont need another one of those. If Disney had plans to stream MA content then I cant imagine they would call it Disney+ , I cant imagine they would allow anything with the name Disney in it to be associated with any inappropriate MA material.

I guess I look at it differently.

We got Disney + as an "add on" I guess to our other services. It's so cheap and has sooooo many things to watch. Every weekend I can pick just a different Disney classic to watch if I want.
We didn't purchase with the idea in mind we'd watch it every day. :)

It seemed like many people were pontificating that Disney+ could mean the end of Netflix and other streaming services. THAT was the question I was seeking to answer with my post. For me, it will NOT be able to replace my other streaming services until it has more dramatic content. For you, apparently you don't need or want it to do that. That's fine.

Side note: It just occurred to me that sometime in the future they might be able to bring ABC shows onto their service. That content could fill that category I've been talking about. I understand there are issues with distribution rights and all that, it's never as simple as it seems. Anyway, I'm sure they'll figure out their path.

Disney+ has tons of binge watching type shows, it's just that their all Disney kid friendly. I personally hope they do not add any shows like "the closer" or any content that is mature audience adult only type shows. I mean that's exactly what we already have with Netflix, hulu or amazon, we dont need another one of those. If Disney had plans to stream MA content then I cant imagine they would call it Disney+ , I cant imagine they would allow anything with the name Disney in it to be associated with any inappropriate MA material.
Hulu will be where Disney puts that kind of content.

It seemed like many people were pontificating that Disney+ could mean the end of Netflix and other streaming services. THAT was the question I was seeking to answer with my post. For me, it will NOT be able to replace my other streaming services until it has more dramatic content. For you, apparently you don't need or want it to do that. That's fine.

Side note: It just occurred to me that sometime in the future they might be able to bring ABC shows onto their service. That content could fill that category I've been talking about. I understand there are issues with distribution rights and all that, it's never as simple as it seems. Anyway, I'm sure they'll figure out their path.

Yeah, we never intended it to be our main content source, I guess that's the difference. We get our network type tv from YouTube tv and original series from our other services. :)

Disney has put together a bundle to offer a more complete group of shows, series and sports. Disney+ may not be the Netflix killer, but a bundle of Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu might be. There is a reason that bundle price is the same as basic Netflix.

Based on my facebook feed everyone between 30 and 40 had a field day watching Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, and Tale Spin.

Nobody subscribed to this for their kids...at least none of my friends.

Based on my facebook feed everyone between 30 and 40 had a field day watching Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, and Tale Spin.

Nobody subscribed to this for their kids...at least none of my friends.

I saw that too, I think it appeals hugely to 80s/90s kids. They really played up the nostalgia factor, as they should. That’s their bread and butter. I think for most that’s probably a one time thing though, it’s really fun to watch our after school and Saturday morning shows again, but I don’t think you’ll find most doing it over and over.

I’m interested to see what gets added to keep everyone captivated.

I saw that too, I think it appeals hugely to 80s/90s kids. They really played up the nostalgia factor, as they should. That’s their bread and butter. I think for most that’s probably a one time thing though, it’s really fun to watch our after school and Saturday morning shows again, but I don’t think you’ll find most doing it over and over.

I’m interested to see what gets added to keep everyone captivated.

I said that to my husband this morning. Nostalgia is great, but it doesn't have a ton of staying power for me. I watched the opening of Gummi Bears last night and a couple minutes of the first episode. It was great! But no, I don't really want to just watch it over and over.

Anybody on Android having any issues this morning?

When I try to play something on my phone, I get the following message: "Oh no. Something went wrong. Please try again. If you continue to have issues, please visit our Help Center at help.disneyplus.com. (No Error Code)"

I said that to my husband this morning. Nostalgia is great, but it doesn't have a ton of staying power for me. I watched the opening of Gummi Bears last night and a couple minutes of the first episode. It was great! But no, I don't really want to just watch it over and over.

Honestly I'm just in it for the Marvel series.
They sucked me in with the bundle. I don't have Hulu, I've never had Hulu. I've wanted ESPN+ but have never been able to cost justify it. 13 dollars a month for all 3...sure.

I watched one episode of "Gummi Bears" out of nostalgia (I was 6 when that show premiered) and one was enough for me.

I think I could happily revisit the original "Ducktales", though, that show was quality.

Some things I noticed about Disney+ (this may have been talked about already)

1) Oddly, it does NOT seem to track what episodes of a show you watch. I watched 3-4 episodes of the new Mickey Mouse shorts .. I go back to that show and there is no indication which ones I watched and where I should pick up. The red "status bar" like you see in Netflix and Amazon Prime is nowhere in the app that I've seen. Seems like a critical missing function of a streaming service.

2) Looks like the CURRENT seasons of Disney network shows (Star Wars Resistance: Season 2, Fancy Nancy, Season 2 . etc.) are not on Disney+ and only available for streaming on the DisneyNow app. Makes sense (they still want people having cable subscriptions), but disappointing.

3) This library is filled with nostalgia ... a lot of which I am sure the kids will enjoy, but viewing them again as an adult may be tough.
Example (the new Duck Tales is just a much better animated and written show than the original .. no matter how many fond memories I have of watching it after school). I worry how my memory of classic Disney live-action movies will be tainted by re-watching things like The Black Hole, Escape from Witch Mountain, Flight of the Navigator, etc. Some things are timeless .. some just aren't.

4) I like you can shut off the "auto-play next episode" feature per profile. Very handy to keep the kids from getting sucked in too long.

WOW, thank you for posting this. I purposely changed my D23 password before logging into D+ so it wouldn't be the same as my MDE especially since the kids are using that login. There was probably a disclaimer message that I missed.

When I tried to login to MDE I got the password incorrect login fail and then saw your post. I get they want the same experience across platforms but WHY would MDE be incorporated into that (and yes, the answer is to gather as much info as possible).

We had the same situation when we looked at booking DVC last night. It would have been nice if the D+ account screens mentioned that MDE/DVC and now D+ were one single account. or that "creating" a new D+ account would change your password for the existing (unrelated?) DVE/MDE account.

My guess is features like continue watching, keeping track of what episodes you’ve already watched, and holding your place in an episode both on one device and across devices have to be coming shortly, those are basic features at this point.

WOW, thank you for posting this. I purposely changed my D23 password before logging into D+ so it wouldn't be the same as my MDE especially since the kids are using that login. There was probably a disclaimer message that I missed.

When I tried to login to MDE I got the password incorrect login fail and then saw your post. I get they want the same experience across platforms but WHY would MDE be incorporated into that (and yes, the answer is to gather as much info as possible).

Making the account something of more value than just a TV subscription will also discourage some people from password sharing with friends/family. Don't doubt that's part of Disney's thinking - Amazon/Apple et al have been using this strategy for some years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter