Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took advantage of my free year with being a Verizon customer which surprised me since AT&T is the "Official wireless sponsor" of Disney. Anyway, easy to add the app to my kids smart TV in the playroom. Not so easy to add it to my Sony 70" 4K TV. No Google Play so no download available. I bit the bullet and bought a Firestick on Amazon. I am a slave to DirecTV so streaming will be new to me. We do use Prime Video, well at least my kids do, me not so much. But talking to a lot of people, acording to them, it saves a ton of money. It may be time to shrink my DTV package and start streaming more.

Just took advantage of my free year with being a Verizon customer which surprised me since AT&T is the "Official wireless sponsor" of Disney. Anyway, easy to add the app to my kids smart TV in the playroom. Not so easy to add it to my Sony 70" 4K TV. No Google Play so no download available. I bit the bullet and bought a Firestick on Amazon. I am a slave to DirecTV so streaming will be new to me. We do use Prime Video, well at least my kids do, me not so much. But talking to a lot of people, acording to them, it saves a ton of money. It may be time to shrink my DTV package and start streaming more.

Jimmy- AT&T has direct TV NOW- full streaming (its now called AT&T NOW) big savings when you take off the equipment rentals. I was at 160 ish for Direct TV per month, now 55 bucks with HBO. Give it a look.

https://www.atttvnow.com/

Forky Asks a Question is shorter than I expected but funny.

Pixar in real life is weird.

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series was not needed IMO and I grew up with the originals.

Encore was better than I expected.

Can you tell I haven't got much done today?
Yeah, me too. Watched Frozen, Moana, The Mandalorian when dh and I got home from work, then I watched Noelle when I should have been sleeping. I just couldn't stop. I thought it was super cute.
Thinking I will need a spreadsheet or some sort of checklist of all the shows I want to watch, then cross them off the list when done. It has come to this.

Well, got it to work this evening and watched the Imagineering Story (absolutely loved - some great footage of the imagineers in the current attractions) and The Manderlorian (quite good - very good "feel" to it and has the right mix of action and humor)
I also really enjoyed the Imagineering Story. I lived in SoCal as a young boy in the 60's, and we went to Disneyland pretty frequently. The scenes from those years brought back a lot of memories. I had forgotten all about the mermaids!
which subreddit are you going to for discussion of d+?
A d+ is kind of harsh. Even with the issues many were having, I'd still give it at least a b-.

I also really enjoyed the Imagineering Story. I lived in SoCal as a young boy in the 60's, and we went to Disneyland pretty frequently. The scenes from those years brought back a lot of memories. I had forgotten all about the mermaids!

A d+ is kind of harsh. Even with the issues many were having, I'd still give it at least a b-.

I was watching with my two younger kids (ages 7 and 5) and they got a kick in it of all that old footage and just how the parks looked and what people were wearing and stuff. My son loved how the autopia cars used to be and loved seeing the construction of the monorail. It also made the Tiki Room a "must do" item for him for next trip so I think that is pretty cool

Easy download and very simple setup, I signed up through my Verizon and within 2 min I was watching old Disney movies, was great...love disney+ ....I downloaded it to my phone, my Amazon fire box, sky stream android box and my smart tv, all without any issues. I haven't tried simultaneously streaming on multiple devices yet but it played great without any issues or buffering while playing on a single device.

I haven't tried simultaneously streaming on multiple devices yet but it played great without any issues or buffering while playing on a single device.

Wife and I had Mandelorian on in our living room TV while kids had live action Lady and the Tramp in the play room and was fine (once we got things working)

After having Disney+ for around 24 hours now, I can honestly say that it is really lacking in dramatic content for grown ups. Particularly in binge-worthy television. Lately I've been re-watching The Closer on Amazon Prime and ds12 has been watching Psych, also on Prime. There is just nothing along those lines on Disney+ yet. I know they want to keep any MA content on Hulu, but some sort of cop show or medical drama-type content would be great. I know it's just getting started and I anticipate they'll add some of these things at some point (I hope, anyway), but one of the big questions people had was whether Netflix or Prime should be nervous and I would say, until Disney+ adds more content for adults (again, I'm not talking MA, I'm just talking dramatic television - TV14 or something), I will have to rely on other services for that.

We currently have:
Hulu w/ live TV
Amazon Prime
Netflix
Disney+ (3-year D23 deal)

We have Hulu mostly for watching sports, so we usually cancel it after college basketball is done for the year and pick it up again in August/September for football. Prime is something we'll keep just for Amazon shipping, and lately their content has been improving so I'm finding more to watch there. Netflix is, admittedly, growing stale for me. I could see cancelling Netflix while we have Hulu and then reactivating it when we cancel Hulu in the spring. We'll have to see what the kids think. It's purely anecdotal, but this is one middle class family's experience with the streaming decision in 2019.

I do think we're reaching the tipping point in the area of streaming. One need look no further than Playstation Vue to see that the market is beginning to sort itself out.

I love the news headlines - HUGE PROBLEMS WITH DISNEY +!!!!!!!!!! :p

I realize some people had some unfortunate issues on the first day that his app has ever been live, but after one minor glitch for us in the morning yesterday, it's been perfect.

After having Disney+ for around 24 hours now, I can honestly say that it is really lacking in dramatic content for grown ups. Particularly in binge-worthy television. Lately I've been re-watching The Closer on Amazon Prime and ds12 has been watching Psych, also on Prime. There is just nothing along those lines on Disney+ yet. I know they want to keep any MA content on Hulu, but some sort of cop show or medical drama-type content would be great. I know it's just getting started and I anticipate they'll add some of these things at some point (I hope, anyway), but one of the big questions people had was whether Netflix or Prime should be nervous and I would say, until Disney+ adds more content for adults (again, I'm not talking MA, I'm just talking dramatic television - TV14 or something), I will have to rely on other services for that.

We currently have:
Hulu w/ live TV
Amazon Prime
Netflix

We have Hulu mostly for watching sports, so we usually cancel it after college basketball is done for the year and pick it up again in August/September for football. Prime is something we'll keep just for Amazon shipping, and lately their content has been improving so I'm finding more to watch there. Netflix is, admittedly, growing stale for me. I could see cancelling Netflix while we have Hulu and then reactivating it when we cancel Hulu in the spring. We'll have to see what the kids think. It's purely anecdotal, but this is one middle class family's experience with the streaming decision in 2019.

I do think we're reaching the tipping point in the area of streaming. One need look no further than Playstation Vue to see that the market is beginning to sort itself out.

Regarding bolded:

Gosh, I couldn't disagree more. I'm an adult at 46 and while Disney + doesn't have everything I want to watch as far as tv series, no streaming channel does. What we don't need is a formulaic, common tv drama on Disney +. Not meant to be offensive, but there are more than enough of those out there.

I hope they keep with the very original content that they have now. National Geographic alone can keep me busy for months!

We have YouTube TV (very happy with it for streaming, lots of channels including we somehow got Showtime!)
Netflix - it's fine. Some good series, but mostly keeping it for The Irishman and the rare movie. May cancel at some point.
Prime - love for movies and some series
Disney + - so far so good!
And plans for HBO MAX

And all of this is still over $100 less than we were paying for cable!

Last edited:

We currently have:
Hulu w/ live TV
Amazon Prime
Netflix

I definitely see your point and that lacking - I think that will come, if from nothing else the Marvel series and other Star Wars series. They have the documentary series that are more "non-little-kid" at least but just not sure they will ever have like crime or medical drama shows - but maybe some day.

not saying it is exactly what you are talking about but Disney has things like the Davy Crocket and series like that which, while not "adult" are definitely not for "little kids"

I just don't think they will ever have even TV14 type shows. Even the Mandelorian is only TV-PG

Wife and I had Mandelorian on in our living room TV while kids had live action Lady and the Tramp in the play room and was fine (once we got things working)

Nice. I heard it only allows up to 4 devices, watching 4 different shows, to stream at once. So I'm going to test this out this weekend to see if it holds true.

We currently have:
Hulu w/ live TV
Amazon Prime
Netflix

I agree with you, we have Netflix, Crave (basically HBO streaming in Canada), Prime (not because of its streaming), and now Disney+. I think once we get past the initial watches of things like Imagineering and other original content that’s coming there’s not a ton making it a must have service for adults. That is also probably because we own literally every Disney movie that appealed to us beforehand. I also understand why they’re uploaded one episode at a time but a big perk of streaming services is the binge factor so I’m not a fan of that choice.

Im really optimistic for the original content though, and it’s also half what we pay for Netflix.

I guess I look at it differently.

We got Disney + as an "add on" I guess to our other services. It's so cheap and has sooooo many things to watch. Every weekend I can pick just a different Disney classic to watch if I want.
We didn't purchase with the idea in mind we'd watch it every day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter