Disney Land AND Disney World in the same trip.

Thing 1

DIS Veteran
So my BIL has just about convinced me this might be fun. Both families live on East Coast and are WDW veterans. Only one trip to DL.we are about an hour flight from WDW and about a 5 hour flight to DL. Eight adults and a tween that is an excellent traveler. We are thinking of flying to DL first for 2-3 day and back to WDW for 6ish days and fly home. Has anyone done this? Cost aside, how did it effect any aspect of the trips. The kid does well with time change and the adults can cope. What else am I missing?

My sister talked me into this a few years ago except in reverse order. We had a blast! It was so fun to wake up Monday and go to MK then wake up Wednesday and go to DL. Not much to consider logistically other than maybe start on the west coast? Only because less travel time will be involved on your way back home when you're worn out from a week in the parks. Either way, have fun!!

I think for an east coaster that's the right way to do it. At Disneyland getting there early can be very important. If you have access to early hours you want to do that park. If you don't, do the other park. Either way, early is GOOD. And if you're on eastern time that's easier. At wdw I don't feel it's as important to go early. Or maybe that's just because we can't because we're so busy being exhausted lol.

So my BIL has just about convinced me this might be fun. Both families live on East Coast and are WDW veterans. Only one trip to DL.we are about an hour flight from WDW and about a 5 hour flight to DL. Eight adults and a tween that is an excellent traveler. We are thinking of flying to DL first for 2-3 day and back to WDW for 6ish days and fly home. Has anyone done this? Cost aside, how did it effect any aspect of the trips. The kid does well with time change and the adults can cope. What else am I missing?
Sounds fun!

I would want more days in DL.
There's actually about the same number of attractions in DL's (2) parks vs WDW's (4) parks...and it sounds like you will all go to WDW again.

I would also want to add a visit to a beach on each ocean.

We do it each year for the Halloween party's.
Love doing both party's.

I heard of people doing it. Someone on youtube actually posted a vlog where they took pictures in front of Cinderella's castle in the morning and Sleeping Beauty's castle at night in the same day. I can't remember who

I would want more days in DL.
There's actually about the same number of attractions in DL's (2) parks vs WDW's (4) parks...and it sounds like you will all go to WDW again.

I would also want to add a visit to a beach on each ocean.
I second this recommendation. You initially mentioned "DL first for 2-3 day and back to WDW for 6ish days". If you are going for about 9 days of park time I would make that at least 4 at DL and maybe 5 at WDW.

My friend and I flew from Mass to DL for 4 days, then to WDW for 5 days. The travel day from DL to WDW was a wash...flight from LAX to MCO at 9am. With the 3 hr time difference, there wasn't much time left to do much in WDW. But it was a fun trip.

I'm planning this for my DDs 30th birthday as a surprise.

4/5 days in Cali - 10/11 days in Florida and travelling from Ontario.

I went the to DL with my best pal for the first time in October 2015 on the ABD Backstage Magic Tour (expensive but I HIGHLY recommend it) and we had a blast.

DL is a totally different animal. Not better or worse IMO, just different.

I can't wait to introduce my DD to Walt's Park.

We did both of them in one trip and loved it!!!! I agree with previous posters about adding more days at DL.

One thing to consider is that you will gain hours going west but could lose a whole day to travel heading east, especially if not on a non-stop flight. So it's just a matter of if you want to lose that day (or a big chunk of a day) in the middle of your trip (if you did DL first) or at the very end (if you did WDW first.)

I would love to do that sometime :)

I had a week in LA doing DL, Knotts, SFMM etc. Before I left for that trip, my work scheduled me for a four dayclass in Atlanta, the day after I was supposed to come home from LA So I stayed one more day in California, then flew to Atlanta in time for my class on Tuesday morning. The Sat and sunday after that class just happened to be the NASCAR weekend at Atlanta. Well, due to rediculuous airfairs back to Indianapolis; I found it was cheaper to fly back to LA, have a 27 hr. layover, rent a car and a night in a hotel. I also had one day left on my DL ticket. So after my class on Friday, friends picked me up in Atlanta, we drove to Florida, did the morning at Busch Gardens, then MK till midnight close, drove back to Atlanta. Hopped a flight to LA, and was in DL all day Monday, caught then caught the red eye back to Indianopolis, and was back to work at Noon on tuesday. Oh and the best part was that Finance actually accepted a Lunch receipt from the French Market on my expense report!

Last edited:
One thing to consider is that you will gain hours going west but could lose a whole day to travel heading east, especially if not on a non-stop flight. So it's just a matter of if you want to lose that day (or a big chunk of a day) in the middle of your trip (if you did DL first) or at the very end (if you did WDW first.)

Ohh. Could possibly do a little of WDW and DL in the same day :)

Someone at Disneyland told me that MemoryMaker is connected between WDW and DL. So if you decide to purchase that feature, you might not have to pay twice. Don't quote me on that, but if that feature is interesting to you at all, would be good to check.

If you can sleep on a plane (and maybe this is risky), you could also take a redeye from LAX to MCO. You'll arrive in Orlando in time to drop off your stuff and still make rope drop at your first WDW park.
It's only a 5 hour flight, so it's more of a nap. I am usually okay to skimp on sleep for one day, and will be so tired afterwards that I'll instantly adjust to east coast time that night with a nice satisfying sleep.

We did something similar in April 2016. We did 10 days in WDW, flew back to Vermont for 4 days, then flew to CA and went to DL for 4 days, then drove to San Francisco for 3 days.

The biggest problem we had with it was the jet lag when we flew from the East Coast to the West Coast. The night we arrived in CA, we were all in bed at 6:30 PM, but we were ready to go the next morning for our first day at DL!

More great thoughts.... thanks. Last Red Eye across the country, kid slept the whole way... adults can deal. That might be a great idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter