Disney Keeps Me Running!

Well I'm back from WDW and back at work today...whomp whomp...but at least I now get to relive our trip as I journal it here! I hope to get some good content in today but here's kind of my plan of attack for the upcoming posts:

1- race review (this is supposed to be a training/running journal after all)
2- touring the rest of the world
3- restaurant reviews
4- overall thoughts and opinions

Hopefully I can get all this down in the next few days! I've started trip reports and then gotten sidetracked and never finished so I plan to get all the information in as quickly as possible. The highlights were definitely surviving the half and hearing my husband giggle during rides though! Congrats to all the other runners out there, can't wait to hear about your experiences as well! TTFN!

Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon – I didn’t join the Dark Side, I defeated it!

Just to preface…my dad is a huge Star Wars fan, and I am also a fan, though not as big as him, but totally geeked out this weekend and we had a blast. My sister and her fiancé who also ran are not huge star wars fans but were happy to gawk at costumes and laugh at us and with us through all the theming goodness!

Our cast of runners…
Me: 29, second half marathon, felt pretty good about training for this one, I’d say I was ready

Dad: 59, countless half marathons, was easily trained for this, ran at mine and my sister’s pace which is about 2 mins/mile slower than his average

Sister: 26, also second half, struggled to fit training in while planning her wedding next month, felt nervous

Sis fiancé: 28, not really a runner until he met her, 2nd half, only maybe his 3rd road race, ran faster than all of us on very little training…darn him!

Pre-race…
My parents arrived in Florida first, on Wednesday, and were the carrier pigeons we (meaning I) sent to the expo day 1 because we’ve all been talking about wanting runDisney New Balances for a while. Well my sister changed her mind last minute and decided against getting any, but my dad was able to sign up for NB and they got a time for around 11:30 am. Showed up when they got their text message and said the WWoS was a mad house overall. People waiting in line for basically everything, but NB must have run smoothly because they were in and out with shoes in what seemed like a reasonable time. Dad got Dumbo, mom got the new Minnies and I got Ariel. (which I LOVE because I always wanted to be the little mermaid!!!) Other than that they didn’t spend much time at the expo, went ahead and got my dad’s packet and his shirt was too big but none had been turned in for the next size down so he went with it.

My husband and I arrived Thursday night, so I went to the expo Friday. I also wasn’t that into roaming around so I got my packet and t-shirt, looked briefly and the only things I found were a mickey head 13.1 magnet (just the regular runDisney one, I understand there were themed ones previously but sold out) and a runDisney headband. The line for Disney merch was pretty long but actually moved more quickly than anticipated. There were a lot of people but I wouldn’t say it was overcrowded. I also never go to those things with the intent of purchasing something specific because I feel like if I need it I would have already brought it. The Disney merch was definitely the craziest section and I just never feel like I need too much of that stuff. My dad also tried to exchange his shirt again with no luck.

Expo round 3 (yeah that’s right…) My sis and her fiancé couldn’t get to WDW until late Friday night due to work schedules so back we all went on Saturday. But they just went in and out as quickly as possible for bibs and packets. My dad also tried one more time to exchange for a mens medium instead of large…but still nothing. Oh well, I told him he just needed to eat some extra mickey head ice creams so it would fit!

Race day!
Up we were at 2:45 am and on the bus by 3:15. We had no problem with transportation. A bus pulled up right about the time we walked out the front doors of POFQ and loaded quickly and off we went. One of my biggest complaints of the whole day though comes next…why do they drop you off so far away so then you herd to the staging area and then herd once again to the corrals?! I had walked close to 4,000 steps before my race ever started! We sat in the staging area for a bit once we got there, my dad had coffee and my sister and I ate Honey Stinger Waffles as pre-race fuel. Then we wandered the corrals once it opened and popped a squat in G until it was time to start. I did wait until the last minute to try the potty one more time and was standing outside our corral when the first group took off. Why they closed them off I have no idea, as many people were also making last minute breaks and hoping the fences all over the place. I did think it was interest the number of people I saw in A and B groups coming in late from staging and making the sprint to their corral to start on time.

We started probably 25-30 after the first gun but it didn’t seem too terribly long. We had decided that we planned to run intervals directly from the start, since my sister was nervous about being undertrained and didn’t want to burn her out too quickly by trying to run extra. So we did! As did everyone else. I have done many 5ks and a few 10ks in my life and never have I been surrounded by so many interval runners (with all their chimes and beeps to boot!). It was actually refreshing, as I’ve struggled with the “real runner” concept as I could probably never complete a half marathon or any distance really without walk breaks.

Soapbox --> Thanks to Jeff Galloway for making running and competing in road races acceptable for the masses! Say what you will about the “participation” medals and the high crowds, and I have my own opinions about those too, but in general I think its amazing that he has helped and encouraged so many people to get out there and try. I said it before that I’m competitive my nature and racing is the fun part of running for me, and his methods are what allow me and thousands of other people, to feel good about getting out there!

Back to the race…miles 1-5: AMAZING! I was feeling good, happy, chatty, loving the entertainment, world showcase with the music and the drama was awesome, studios with the characters both Disney and 501st, I just loved every minute of it. It was crowded and we definitely had to bob and weave but we were never forced to walk due to congestion or change our intervals. The pathway between boardwalk and Hollywood studios was not nearly as bad as I anticipated, though faster runners may have a different opinion as I saw a lot of sprinting off-road to get around people. But most of the time I felt like the people around me were moving at a similar pace and we all just got through it. The little touches like music and fog under the bridge were fun too!

Hit the 10k mark still feeling like a champ, though we had gone over the overpass which is quite a big hill in Arizona standards. Then I started to crumble mentally a bit. As I’m sure most of you have heard, entertainment dropped off of this section pretty significantly and at this point in the morning there wasn’t really anything to look at and the time spent in the DAK parking lot was pretty brutal from a boredom, aka all you have to think about is running, standpoint. But then you enter DAK about mile 8 and I perked up again. A wonderful volunteer filled up my handheld water bottle I carry which was awesome and cruising my way past Everest was pretty fun. I just love those flags! And then we left DAK…I made it to about mile 10 before I let myself really start to notice the pain in my ankles. My sister had grabbed some biofreeze from a med tent around mile 7 for her hip flexor and she said it actually did make a different so I hit the next one. I’ve never used biofreeze before but I was pretty impressed actually. I got some almost instant relief which helped me get my mind right. The only extra walk break we asked for came not long after when we hit the hill over the highway. (sidenote- this is a win for me mentally and physically bc I almost always have to take an extra break over 8 miles) Once we were over the hill we picked up the intervals again. We cruised along until we hit the dirt/gravel path where the crowds all had to squeeze back together. As I mentioned before we never had to drop our intervals because of people but things definitely got tight here. Saw my hubs and mom in the cheering section as we came into WWoS. It was nice that people started that early but I do wish they had let them stretch through from there through the finish. Crowd support for that last tenth (or more) is always super motivating in other races but unfortunately because of this course once we passed them there was no one again. I took a couple of sips of powerade at the last water station but this didn’t sit too well and I was ready to be done with the race at this point. But I crossed the finish line with my arms up and head high.

My sister’s knees were aching so we went straight to the self-treatment area, grabbed some bags of ice and she got them wrapped on. My dad and I just rubbed the ice up and down our legs. We stocked up on our goodies as we passed but I sure do wish runD had provided a bag or something. I already run with a water bottle, was trying to get my phone out so we could meet our peeps, then got handed a full bottle of water, full bottle of powerade, a snack box, and a banana. When you’re tired, limping and mentally drained, this is a lot of things to balance! We found my sister’s fiancé in the area right before you exit by the photographers so we took a group pic with our medals then went off to meet up with my hub and mom. We sat under a tree, rehashed what we saw and doctored ourselves with ice and bandaids for maybe 20 minutes but really had no reason to hang around much longer. Once we got to the bus lot, the line for POFQ was long but actually moved quickly and we were headed back with not too much wait.

Overall Thoughts:

Race was fun, but in thinking back I feel like the course would have been better in reverse. The big hill, the dirt road, and the stretches of minimal to no entertainment were all at the end of the race, but I think would have been better received on fresh legs at the beginning. Also, as neat of a place as WWoS is, I just think there is something special about finishing in a park.

Biggest pet peeve of this race – it was long! My GPS clocked it at 13.5 miles and every mile marker was long compared to my watch. I realize that there shouldn’t be a big issue between 13.1 and 13.5 but it just irks me, especially when we know it was certified by the USATF. I get that bobbing and weaving can increase mileage a bit but it shouldn’t have been that far off.

I will do another runDisney race some day and I will probably do more half marathons, though I’m not sure my sister or future bro in law would say the same. But I do feel that the price tag is high. From other reviews I’ve read, the first half of the race got a great Disney experience but others towards the back, who paid the same amount, did not. They should take a long look at what it’s like for people in those last few corrals and try to improve that guest experience. After all, that’s what Disney is all about!

Congrats on your finish. I think some of your frustrations with the race are frustrations many people share. It's just tough, I know, with the size and scale of Disney races.

I totally agree with you on how nice it is to have so many interval runners in the race (particularly further back in the pack). And, I'm a huge proponent of Jeff Galloway's method for a lot of people and also agree that it really opened the door to distance running for a whole host of people who wouldn't have considered it otherwise. Me, included.

Sounds like overall a good race experience for you and congrats again!

I just found and read your thread Ashley. It is very good--thanks so much for writing and sharing with us.

I too agree about the interval runners. I started running a little over a year ago now and would never have started if not for intervals! I'm so glad I started though b/c I truly love running or at least I love run/walk/running!

So when is your next race? Good luck!

Reading along! I'm a Dark Side Runner as well! Totally agree with you how the entertainment dropped off a lot after Mile 5! But you made it through! Go you! Biofreeze is amazing stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter