Disney Keeps Me Running!

clemsondisneygirl

Mouseketeer
Intro:
Hi everyone! I'm Ashley, 29, and addicted to Disney (which I'm pretty sure is how most of us end up here in the first place). I got married last June to a non-Disney fanatic and am taking him on his first trip since childhood coming up in April, when I am also running the Star Wars Dark Side half marathon.

Disney Background - I don't have a count for how many WDW trips I've made but I've been going fairly consistently since I was about 5. After college I was in a floundering stage so I took an internship as a Disney cast member, which was both incredibly fun and kind of "magic squashing" all at the same time. But no worries, I've clearly bounced back. My family (dad, mom and sister) are also quite hooked and I am the planner for our yearly trips now.

Running Background - I've been running for 2 years now, consistently-ish. I would not consider myself fast by any means but I get out there and get the miles in as best as I possibly can. I've completed a bunch of 5ks, a few 10ks, 3 triathlons and 1 half marathon. I am a gadget nerd and gear + analyzing my stats are my favorite thing about exercise generally. Right now I run with a Tom Tom multisport watch and my Microsoft band (which is also everyday activity tracker). My whole family and many friends have fitbits so I also kept mine even after I got a Microsoft band so that I can compete with them. :) I generally also upload my runs to the runkeeper app. I told you I was a gadget nerd!

I hope to use this journal to keep up with my training and report on my races and trips over the next month or so! Hope you enjoy!

Races in 2016
January - Rock 'n' Roll Arizona 10k

February - no racing :(

March - Kiss Me I'm Irish 17k

April - Star Wars Dark Side Half Marathon
Pat's Run 4.2

**A note about me...racing is my favorite part of running and signing up for races is what keeps me motivated to train! If you ever have any race suggestions, especially in the Phoenix metro area, please let me know!**​

Training for SWDS 1/2 to date;

I have been much more consistent, overall, in training for this half marathon than I was for my first one (Rock 'n' Roll Nashville, spring 2015), which is very surprising since I don't have my running buddies here in AZ with me. I get to the gym for mid-week runs at least twice a week and make myself stay on the treadmill at least 30 minutes, longer if I'm on the elliptical. Long runs have been going ok. Three weekends ago I did a 17k (10.5 mile) race to test my pace and endurance. It went well and faster than I anticipated up until mile 9ish when I could really tell I need to do more strengthening as my legs were numb and heavy. Took 2 weekends ago off for my sister's bachelorette party, but this past weekend got back at it with a slow 10 mile training run. First 5 went pretty well, back 5 were hot, slow and I dropped and cracked my phone so I was annoyed, but at least I got all the miles in. I've had limited soreness yesterday and today so I feel like I'm improving with recovery as well.

I've also been testing my nutrition, both pre-run and on course. I've found that if I eat something real, like a jelly sandwich before I start it doesn't take me as long to get into a groove, since all my long runs have been in the morning. I also am a shakeology girl, so I like to try to have half a shake before the run and then I finish it when I get back. I also do NOT like gels (texturally) and have struggled with the amount of sticky chewing for beans or chews, so I have been doing the Honey Stinger Waffles as my in-run nutrition. They wash down easily and are very tasty! (Just ask my husband who snuck one from me as a snack the other day!) Anybody out there doing something similar???

Hydration is something I'm a little concerned about. It's already pretty warm here in AZ but we don't have humidity like Florida. I currently only run with water but if I don't replace electrolytes almost immediately after long runs I've been getting some killer headaches. I don't know if I should switch to running with Nuun or not. Oh well, there's always something to analyze right?!

Hi, I'm following along :) Signing up for races is pretty much what keeps me motivated to run too. The thing that got me running in the first place was signing up for the Tower of Terror 10 miler in 2014. I'm thinking of doing the Star Wars Dark Side half next year so I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

Edited to add... I just saw your last post. I use Nuun for my long runs (for all runs in the Summer heat) and I feel like it really helps. I use chews for fuel on long runs but I know that doesn't work for everyone. I just have a weakness for gummies :) I'm interested in maybe trying more natural foods for fueling and I'm thinking I might try dried fruit this summer when I'm not really training for anything.

Hi, Ashley,
Joining in as well. I'm also a big one for having a race on the books to keep myself motivated. Sorry to hear about dropping and cracking your phone. That's a big fear of mine when I run with my phone.

As for nutrition, I'm not a fan of gels/gu either. I do eat the sport beans and do okay with them. I've done the honey stinger waffles too and like them as well. We recently switched to a new electrolyte drink called replay that has less sugar than a lot of others. The taste isn't as great as some others, but it's alright.

Looking forward to reading more.

Hi, I'm following along :) Signing up for races is pretty much what keeps me motivated to run too. The thing that got me running in the first place was signing up for the Tower of Terror 10 miler in 2014. I'm thinking of doing the Star Wars Dark Side half next year so I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

Edited to add... I just saw your last post. I use Nuun for my long runs (for all runs in the Summer heat) and I feel like it really helps. I use chews for fuel on long runs but I know that doesn't work for everyone. I just have a weakness for gummies :) I'm interested in maybe trying more natural foods for fueling and I'm thinking I might try dried fruit this summer when I'm not really training for anything.

Hi, Ashley,
Joining in as well. I'm also a big one for having a race on the books to keep myself motivated. Sorry to hear about dropping and cracking your phone. That's a big fear of mine when I run with my phone.

As for nutrition, I'm not a fan of gels/gu either. I do eat the sport beans and do okay with them. I've done the honey stinger waffles too and like them as well. We recently switched to a new electrolyte drink called replay that has less sugar than a lot of others. The taste isn't as great as some others, but it's alright.

Looking forward to reading more.

Thanks for joining in! I've never written a training journal and/or trip report before but since I love talking about running and Disney I figured this would be a good outlet for me!

Hi! Interested in following along in your journey! I'm a gel guy (E-Gel) so unfortunately I can't give you any other nutrition suggestions. I love gadgets, science, tech and stats too. It makes running so interesting. Keep up the good work!

Training Plans...to follow or not to follow, is that the question?

I noticed some discussion about training plans on some other boards so I thought sharing mine might be good for my journal here. Basically, I don't have one :) or at least I don't have a specific one that I am following to the letter. I have more of a hybrid thing going on this time. Last year when I trained for the RNR Nash half, I followed a 15ish week training plan and was so burnt out on only doing that plan by the time the race came along. I skipped a few training runs in that last month and the ones I did, I didn't put my best effort in to...so I decided for this half I would try something different. I am a run/walk/run JG method follower so I decided to give his plan a try. Well the training for SWDS according to JG should have started back in December. I could already see the burnout setting in before I had even started so I decided to essentially devise my own. I don't have a lot of time to spend in the gym during the week so I kept the 2 short runs per week that JG usually has. I also cant only be a runner as my method of fitness, I get bored (sorry if that offends you runner loyalists!) so the other 2-3 work week days I do strength training and other cardio cross training including 'Cize which is like dance aerobics, spinning/cycling or swimming. For the running part I looked for some races in between to build around - 10k in January and 17k in March, wanted to do a February race as well but couldn't get it worked out with other things going on. Then just filled in the long runs on the weekends trying to only increase by a mile or so per week, calculating for time out of town, and leaving a taper week. All in all this has really seemed to work for me. I feel like I'm getting the miles in without a plan that is super strict. Hopefully this will show in the race coming up in just a few short weeks!

Training Update:
March - probably my most consistent month of training, maybe ever! I stuck to my plan, even got in my mid week runs! (which are sometimes hard for me after work if traffic was bad or I'm tired, etc)

And then there was April -
This weekend we were out of town as my husband was taking a continuing Ed course near Palm Springs. I took all my running stuff, even nutrition, etc and started out with a goal of 12 miles about 8:15 Saturday morning. First mile went ok but a little harder than normal, but I had also eaten a bit more for breakfast than normal so I just blamed that for slowing my flow. By the 2nd mile though I knew something just wasn't working right. I couldn't get through my running interval, couldn't recover during my walk interval, and just flat out was hating myself bc I felt I had underestimated my abilities. Like I was hating on myself hard! I decided that maybe it just wasn't my day and I would turn around at mile 3 and just finish a 10k. As I approached mile 3, with my legs feeling like lead, I realized the trail I'd been running which seemed relatively flat, was actually going up at a slow incline for the last 2ish miles. As soon as I turned around and headed back downhill, I found my stride, significantly increased my pace without difficulty and finished the back half strong. I still didn't put in the mileage I should have but I felt better knowing that the difficulty was more environmental than me being undertrained. Also, I know it's not the same but I did make myself get on the treadmill at the hotel for 3 sweaty miles (there was not great air flow!) so the total for the weekend was 9.

Now the real question is whether to try for another long run this weekend, so close to the race, or to just power through day of with the training I've done so far...any comments appreciated!

My suggestion is to not do another long run this weekend. Ideally, you stick with your plan (which Galloway looks like 3 miles). It's my understanding that the body takes days (as little as 3 and as much as 10) after a run to reap the benefits of said run. This means if you were to do a long run this weekend it would probably only add to your fatigue level going into SWDS rather than benefiting you any for the actual race. You should focus on the taper period once you are within 10 days of the event. With that being said, the maintenance taper runs are still important but should be kept relatively easy (this helps maintain the fitness gains from the training cycle).

Thanks! I was thinking the same but wasn't sure if more miles or more rest were best. I'm certainly not trying to win the thing but I also want to enjoy the rest of my vacation/days in the parks too! I think I will try to get in one more 6ish during this week then start backing down this weekend!

I'll agree with the others and say don't push it with another long run. Pushing too hard on tired legs could just result in an injury.

Well it's official, I'm over training! It was a struggle yesterday to get going but I did 5 miles and now I'm just ready to be in WDW! So travel plans are as follows:
Wednesday - my parents drive down from SC
Thursday - me and the hubs fly in from AZ
Friday - sister and her fiancé drive down late from SC

I just can't wait to be there and for everyone I love to be together! That's my motivation to get through the next few days!

I'm always totally over training when it gets close to big race time. Keep thinking about how soon you'll be there and accomplishing your goals and you'll be there before you know it!!

only 3 more sleeps until I leave for the world! I know this trip is supposed to be about the half...which I am pretty excited for, but I keep dreaming about all the fun things we will do and see. Anyone else out there use runDisney events as an excuse to go touring?! I feel like we are probably going to hit the parks harder before and after the race than someone might typically suggest but I really don't know when the whole family will get to go down there like this again so we want to see and do as much as possible! Who needs sleep anyway right!?

Exciting! I always try and participate in 95% of all of the activities that everyone else on the trip does, including full park days. About the only thing I don't do is the late nights. I'm usually in bed by 6:30-7 pm.

We totally use the races as the excuse to go to Disney. Every time we go we make it a full on vacation with park touring and the works.

Good luck on your Dark Side 1/2! I can't wait to hear about it! I used to live in the Phoenix area (Glendale) but I never did any races there. We weren't there very long, but we really liked the area!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter