Disney just CANCELLED my res for 5 and booked a waitlist for 4 HELP

Sorry OP!
Hope this works out for you and you get what you want and need for your family.

I am with others and hate to pile on but I think this falls to you. People make waitlists and plan their vacation and occupancy around that reservation. We had booked something at BLT once because there was nothing else and we were going to take my parents UNLESS a studio came open and then they weren't going to come. The system is to replace your reservation. Sorry this happened.

It would be a nice upgrade for DVC software to just check that your WL new unit will allow the number people on the original reservation. That would help with this type of oversight when you book/wait list. They already check that you don't exceed the unit capacity.

I hope everything works out for you. pixiedust:

I know it's disney IT we're talking about here but I have no idea why the system would even allow this to happen. If the res has 5 people and a waitlist comes through that only accommodates 4 it would be more logical to simply reject the waitlist than boot the 5th person.

Serious question:
Have any of you ever booked a 5th person in a room and told them "I'll let you crash with us unless that waitlist comes through..."?

*Well, I do see the example regarding the parents above so I guess I'm the odd one here.

I know it's disney IT we're talking about here but I have no idea why the system would even allow this to happen. If the res has 5 people and a waitlist comes through that only accommodates 4 it would be more logical to simply reject the waitlist than boot the 5th person.

Serious question:
Have any of you ever booked a 5th person in a room and told them "I'll let you crash with us unless that waitlist comes through..."?

*Well, I do see the example regarding the parents above so I guess I'm the odd one here.

The waitlist was most likely set up to replace the existing reservation when initially entered. We can't expect the system to do anything other than what it is told.

Yes there would be no way to know if the member really wanted to replace the reservation with the waitlist and leave off the 5th person if that person wouldn't be going if the waitlist came through for a different resort. Which I could possibly see as the intent if the 5th person didn't like the waitlist resort or something. There's no way to know the intent there so it has to keep the waitlist.

The waitlist was most likely set up to replace the existing reservation when initially entered. We can't expect the system to do anything other than what it is told.

Is there a way to do anything other than to waitlist? I've never really used the option so not sure if it is built in to protect you on the front end or not. For example, if you have a res booked with 5 in a studio and then waitlist a spot that only supports 4, will it allow you to set up that waitlist? If so, does it provide a warning?

Is there a way to do anything other than to waitlist? I've never really used the option so not sure if it is built in to protect you on the front end or not. For example, if you have a res booked with 5 in a studio and then waitlist a spot that only supports 4, will it allow you to set up that waitlist? If so, does it provide a warning?

Yes, you have to specifically go thru more steps to set it up to replace. When you set up a waitlist you of course can set it up for all the people that will be on the reservation. If you were doing it for 5 ppl you would have searched on and only found locations that slept 5. But if you searched on 4 then you'd have the 4 person options as well. And it would have the names of all 4 ppl to put on the new reservation.

Sorry OP, I agree with the others that should have been your responsibility to cancel the waitlist. Unless you mentioned it when adding the 5th person I am not sure how that CM was supposed to know you no longer wanted the waitlist.

Is there a way to see if your waitlist is set to replace an existing reservation? We have two set up and I am pretty sure we said do not replace existing reservation when we made them. When I look at the waitlist it does not say one way or the other.

Sorry OP, I agree with the others that should have been your responsibility to cancel the waitlist. Unless you mentioned it when adding the 5th person I am not sure how that CM was supposed to know you no longer wanted the waitlist.

Is there a way to see if your waitlist is set to replace an existing reservation? We have two set up and I am pretty sure we said do not replace existing reservation when we made them. When I look at the waitlist it does not say one way or the other.

You'll have to call MS. Good idea to check if you do NOT want an existing reservation cancelled if waitlist comes through.

When adding the 5th person I specifically asked is there anything else that I need to do. She assured me "no". With having 4 to 5 reservations booked a year....I did not remember that this particular res was waitlisted.

If you didn’t even remember your waitlist, how can you expect a random CM to know about it?

Aren’t you supposed to cancel a wait list if you decide you’re good w/ what you have

Yep.

If they are admitting to a mistake on their part then hold them accountable.

Ultimately she would get a supervisor who says exactly what we are saying. CS reps have different levels of apologies. One is the “oh gosh how did this happen” like she’s getting. Ultimately it wouldn’t stand, though. What happened is what’s supposed to happen because that’s what the OP told the system to do.

The job of the system - whether by an actual CM or computer - is to fulfill the waitlist based on what you the member has requested. They did their job.

Yep.

And for those who wanted to get the waitlist they set up? Those plans are rejected?

I left my son on my feb reservation in the hope of hopes that he could go. Didn’t mean he even knew he was on there lol. Same with a previous year’s princess reservation though it was also my then-husband along with son. Sure confused my cousin when I was asked about them at our checkin!

Just because we put another person it doesn’t mean that person IS going. That’s why we have to know what we’ve set up and think about how it will interact with each other.

When adding the 5th person I specifically asked is there anything else that I need to do. She assured me "no". With having 4 to 5 reservations booked a year....I did not remember that this particular res was waitlisted.
The supervisor said specifically the modified reservation should NOT have been cancelled it should have not booked the waitlist bc the reservation was for 5. But for some reason it did and deleted a person. I should not have to pay more points. She admitted it was their computer error....but everything is sold out....for studios.
So I am stuck paying 20 more points. It is not fair. Technology today is better than that. Shame on them

Shame on them for what? You yourself said even you didn't remember the waitlist, how would they know about it? And, how would they know that you really didn't want the other reservation for another party? It's totally your responsibility to know what you have waitlisted, and to cancel the waitlist if you find what you want in the meantime. Shame on YOU for a misleading title here, Disney didn't cancel your reservation, the system worked just as it should. Them saying it was a computer glitch is totally untrue & they were trying to appease you & help you in your situation, which they did, by finding Poly for you, even at higher points. I have to agree with the majority here, this one's one you. Yes it stinks, I'd also be disgusted (at myself), we all make mistakes, but own up to it & move on. Poly really is lovely and if you can let this go you will have a wonderful trip.

The advisor assured me I was all set. I am pretty well versed with DVC for 20 years. Why would a reservation for 5 be cancelled? Copper cannot accomodate 5

I feel your pain. Several years ago, MS "clicked the wrong button", I later figured, and inexplicably cancelled the last few days of our HHI stay. We hadn't done ANYTHING! We found out when we showed up at HHI and were told that our stay was booked as several days shorter than we thought. We ended up calling MS, who reviewed the tape and suddenly became VERY polite to us. The resort was sold out, but they were very nice, we moved a lot (with their help) and in the end everything worked out. I pray you have a satisfactory ending too.

This is a good warning to us all.

I had a weird Copper Creek reservation, trying to get 5 nights in a row at the same type studio. (home resort is BR, it was not available by the time I planned this trip, CC WAS, but not all at same type studio). I had one Waitlist to switch the shower room to a tub room, and the opposite to switch the tub to a shower one. It was a mid stay switch too. Once I got all nights lined up in same room, I scrambled to pull that other waitlist, otherwise I would have ended up back where I started, more or less.

We arrive April 28 for this CC stay.

When you set up a waitlist, I believe you enter the names of the people who will stay in it. I do not believe that the system tries to move the people in your original reservation to the waitlist that’s come through. So I don’t think it’s a bug that the system didn’t check that there were 5 people on the original reservation and 4 on the granted waitlist. It replaces a reservation with a reservation, it does not take the people assigned to the first and then assign them to the second.

When you set up a waitlist, I believe you enter the names of the people who will stay in it. I do not believe that the system tries to move the people in your original reservation to the waitlist that’s come through. So I don’t think it’s a bug that the system didn’t check that there were 5 people on the original reservation and 4 on the granted waitlist. It replaces a reservation with a reservation, it does not take the people assigned to the first and then assign them to the second.

This is correct. When you set up a waitlist you have to enter all guest information and I believe when it comes through the old reservation is cancelled and the new one made. There is no replacing guests, etc. There was no glitch - this is exactly how it is supposed to work. This is why it’s vitally important to stay on top of any waitlist you set up - it is essentially your new reservation.

The CM likely said it was a glitch for guest recovery and to diffuse the situation. The Disney way. It was great they were able to find OP an alternate option to accommodate the correct number of guests.

And this is a great reminder for all of us to stay on top of our waitlist details!

Last edited:

Serious question:

Because Disney would have had to identify it as a use case, analyze the use case to make sure they wanted it to work that way (as someone said, not everyone does) and then develop to that use case. At some point they didn't do it. It may have not been identified, it may have been analyzed and discovered that it wasn't an absolute or that it would create unwanted complexity, or it may have not made the development cut. It may be sitting on an enhancement list for the future

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!