disney Japan

NYCrules

Mouseketeer
I know may be off topic for Orlando but has aanyone been to the Disney Japan park? I may have a chance to go and looking for others that have been there with sccooter recommendations. Thanks in advance. NYCRules...

ooh. would you be bringing your own? as a general rule, Japan is less HA than the States. not even sure they rent them at the two parks TBH.( they probably do but I never once saw one during my 3-4 trips there when I lived in Japan. or a wheelchair)

that being said, the parks themselves are fairly easy to navigate. the train could be problematic, that line runs at capacity pretty much a all day every day which means CROWDS. finding a car with enough free space to load one may be an issue. ( they actually fold up the seats right by the doors during heavier traffic times to go from accommodating 2 people to about 6 in the same space) we were local( less than 2 hours away by train) so never stayed on site. the hotels are right there though.

Disney Sea is by far my favorite park of all the non stateside ones. ( only one I haven't done yet is Euro)

Tokyo Disney does not rent scooters and they don't really use scooters in Asia in general, so I'd suggest going with a regular wheelchair. My mom owns a scooter and based on experience, when I took my parents, we only brought a regular wheelchair.

Tokyo Disney works with a paper version of the Guest Assistance Card (GAC) where they give you return times that correspond to the stand-by wait minus 15 minutes. If you get a fast pass, you will get on pretty much immediately. You can also hold only one return time at a time, so the only way to get on rides faster is combining the GAC with fast passes.

They are a lot more strict with ride restrictions over there and in some cases, rides are not accessible. Take for example Big Thunder Mountain: you'd expect the ride to have a flat exit or an elevator? It doesn't: you need to go up one floor inside a cast member only staircase to reach the platform and then go down the same stairs to return to your wheelchair. At Pirates, you can take your wheelchair to the loading dock and at the exit, you need to get off the boat and go up the speed ramp to reach your wheelchair that will be waiting at the stroller parking. For ride restrictions, the cast members will go over every warning and in some cases, you need to be able to evacuate and exit a ride on your own to be allowed to ride. At Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Journey to the Center of the Earth and others, they even ask the person if they can get on and off in a short amount of time.

Tokyo Disneyland current boarding restrictions:

https://media2.tokyodisneyresort.jp/home/download/bfree/en/tdl_atrc1_1807.pdf

https://media2.tokyodisneyresort.jp/home/download/bfree/en/tds_atrc1_1807.pdf

For those with visual disabilities, both guest relation offices have beautiful small wooden reproductions of every ride vehicle in the park. You can hold on it, feel the restraints, doors and other features so you can familiarize with what you will experience.

ooh. would you be bringing your own? as a general rule, Japan is less HA than the States. not even sure they rent them at the two parks TBH.( they probably do but I never once saw one during my 3-4 trips there when I lived in Japan. or a wheelchair)

that being said, the parks themselves are fairly easy to navigate. the train could be problematic, that line runs at capacity pretty much a all day every day which means CROWDS. finding a car with enough free space to load one may be an issue. ( they actually fold up the seats right by the doors during heavier traffic times to go from accommodating 2 people to about 6 in the same space) we were local( less than 2 hours away by train) so never stayed on site. the hotels are right there though.

Disney Sea is by far my favorite park of all the non stateside ones. ( only one I haven't done yet is Euro)

Regarding the trains: when you have someone in your party use a wheelchair, go see the station master when you arrive at a subway or train station. Tell them what station you are going to and what transfer station you want to use. They will radio ahead and make sure staff is there at all time to assist you and guide you to elevators and proper routes. In some cases, escalators will even be turned into a disabled lift for the wheelchair.

Are there requirements for getting a GAC there? I.e. a notorized doctor's note like I think is required in France? I think it would be important for the OP to know and I would like to know as well.

Are there requirements for getting a GAC there? I.e. a notorized doctor's note like I think is required in France? I think it would be important for the OP to know and I would like to know as well.

No, they don't ask for a doctor's note. My mom had a personal wheelchair and they gave her the Guest Assistance Card.

No, they don't ask for a doctor's note. My mom had a personal wheelchair and they gave her the Guest Assistance Card.
That is good, what if the person does t need a mobility device, do they then need a doctor's note there? Just curious, as a wheelchair would be no help to me, I would need an ECV and as stated that isn't a viable choice, so I would most likely walk, albeit slowly.

That is good, what if the person does t need a mobility device, do they then need a doctor's note there? Just curious, as a wheelchair would be no help to me, I would need an ECV and as stated that isn't a viable choice, so I would most likely walk, albeit slowly.

This is interesting as there have been two updates since I went last September:

1- since January 2019, they now ask for a medical certificate to hand out the Guest Assistance Card at Tokyo Disney.

2- they offer both "motorized wheelchairs" for 2000 yens a day and battery assisted pushchairs for rental for 1000 yens. You will need to take a mini lesson and demonstrate you can use it safely before they let you with leave with it. They also will suspend rentals when it rains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter