Disney in Winter came and went 2015!!

Day 5
January 21st

Another full day at Epcot. What could be better really?

This morning we walked over to the Captain’s Grille for breakfast. Our table was near the walkway and we had a nice view of the entire restaurant. Mouna took our order of pancakes and tailored eggs. Breakfast was great and service was good. Last September we had some lackluster experiences with The Captain’s Grill with lukewarm eggs and food, but everything was better this time around.

Test Track was first on the list today. We were going to ride standby since we had our FP+ secured for Soarin’ a little later. We figured this was our best shot at a shorter stand by line. The refurbishment improved the queue at least and after 30 minutes we were designing our race car. Not a bad wait at all!

[/URL
]
[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Epcot/IMG_1913_1.jpg.html]

My parents stopped for a coffee and I took the opportunity to get some more photos of course. We wandered on to Club Cool to test some of the new arrivals. The floor must be permanently sticky because the place just opened and we were sticking to the floor! The place was jam packed, but the experience was fun as usual. It was time to head to The Land for Soarin’! The quality of the film for Soarin’ is getting pretty sketch, but there is still no experience like it. I hope they can improve the quality of the film at some point in the future though.

It was time to head to the World Showcase for some refreshments! The shops in Canada have some of the best souvenirs-great quality and a lot of things that are downright adorable. I bought my nephews each a little stuffed animal-Nick gets a raccoon because he is going through a raccoon phase, has pajamas, t-shirts and he was one for Halloween etc. Joshy got an owl, but I am sure Nick has commandeered it anyhow lol. I picked myself out a totem pole wood carving, just a small one, but it is cool. DM likes the selection of pajamas and night shirts.

The lumberjacks were warming up, but we didn’t catch a show this time. Hopefully in the fall we can see them perform. I snagged a couple of magnets for my desk at work-a red phone booth and a map of London in the UK pavilion. We explored France again and made our way to Germany…for beer and more souvenirs. We wanted to get some of the German ornaments for my brother and family. They have some beautiful handmade and blown glass ones that I adore. We picked out a few for us and some for them. My grandparents were from northern Switzerland, so many of our traditions are similar to German ones, so these items are nostalgic for us.

All of this shopping made us hungry-Vamos a Mexico!! Time for lunch at Cantina De San Angel[/URL]

Cantina De San Angel

This is by far my favorite counter service spot to dine. You can’t beat the view and we love Tex-Mex style food. It is no Chi-Chi’s or El Torrito, but it does the trick. Finding a table is the most difficult task and even with the indoor seating, it is still jammed most of the time.

DM and I ordered nachos sans jalapenos and DF went for the barbocoa tacos. Both dishes were good and filling. My only complaint is the weird circular churros they sell here-what is that about?

Overall: a great spot to grab a lunch al fresco!

In the afternoon...
So DM was tired and needed a rest. For the record we just found out she tore her meniscus back in September and will finally have surgery May 15!! She is a tough little birdy, but she needs a lot of rest. You may find yourself need a nap when you visit WDW in general because you are a lot more active then you may normally be at home. It was extremely convenient staying at the BWV since she would really have no trouble finding her way back to the room. However, she told us not to do anything to fun that she may have wanted to do lol.

DF and I usually have some plenty of time to venture out on our own each trip. We decided to explore Future World in depth for a few hours. It works out well because she is not a huge fan of Spaceship Earth-dark, cramped space, kinda hot near the top. I always enjoy it of course and the line was short this time of day. The Seas with Nemo and Friends and the manatees were a nice diversion as well. We peeked at the Coral Reef menu to see what was cooking and then it was off to Imagination. My poor little Figment just isn’t getting any love.

[/URL
]
[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Epcot/IMG_1917.jpg.html]

We strolled back through Canada and had a refreshment…yes you guessed it beer! Impressions de France, aside from having a wonderful musical score, is my favorite show. After that we picked out some pastries at Boulangerie Patissie for breakfast the next morning. The Villas at the Grand Floridian and the Magic Kingdom are calling us, but they must wait for tonight we are feasting at Les Chefs De France![/URL]

Les Chefs De France

There is always a buzz around the French pavilion at night. Lots of folks staking out space for Illuminations or sampling the sweet and tart punch of champagne. Wonderful smells fill the air in France as I always find it calming and relaxing. This evening was no exception as there were lots of people waiting to be seated or looking at the menus out front. I checked us in and we had a seat on the long benches that lie underneath the awning.

It wasn’t too long before we were called and the host led us to our table in the main room near the restrooms. This is a hot spot for me lol! Although I feel that the bathroom is undersized and cramped for a restaurant this size. This spot gives you a great view of the restaurant and of the folks strolling by outside. My parents got the view and I got the mirror, but it is not the same!

Soon after we were seated Cindy, from St. Tropez, came by to greet us and offer us beverages. I was in the mood to try a bunch of different items. There are so many starters to try I can never make up my mind! We decided to order several different dishes and share.

Lobster Bisque, Assiette Compagnarde, Tarte Alsacciene, goat cheese salad-DF also had the cheese plate. Not pictured, but the servings are generous.

A French feast

DM was the primary eater of the lobster bisque, but I did manage a spoonful for testing. The assiette compagnarde has a country style and a more classic style pate. Both are rich in flavor, but the classic style with aspic on top is my favorite. The tart tends to vary in its looks I guess depending on who did the prep work in the kitchen, but tasty as always with the bacon, caramelized onions and crème fraiche fighting it out on a thin crispy crust. The goat cheese salad is a mix of greens with a tangy dressing and a bread crumb coated slice of goat cheese heated till it just begins to ooze. Goat cheese will not really melt, but warmed it has intoxicating delicious effects. No meal in France would be complete without some amazing sweet treats-profiteroles for me and crème brulee for DM.

Cindy took a wonderful photo of the three of us

The service and food were both excellent. Even with the restaurant being nearly full everything was spot on as usual for us.
Overall: Oui Oui!
5/5 Food
5/5 Service
5/5 Total Experience

Time to head back to the Boardwalk and finish packing our bags because we are off to the Villas at the Grand Floridian tomorrow!!

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted. My grandmother passed away in March while I was in the midst of writing the trip report and I really just lost my enthusiasm to run with it. It was hard to look at for a while, but we have another trip coming up at the end of September and I need to finish this before I get on that Pre Trip...so off we go!!

Day 6

January 22nd
Check out of BWVs
Move to GFV

We decided to hit IHOP off property for some breakfast this morning, that way we could also grab a few items at Goodings for the remainder of the trip. The Villa de Grimm wasn’t quite ready, but we had planned to head to DTD for some shopping. The bus seemed like a good option at the time, but it is a loooooong trip from the MK resorts! However there is no parking close to the DTD section right now or it doesn’t seem like for long.

The World of Disney and the 365 Days of Christmas were on the list of places to buy and ship items home. I really wish Disney would come up with a better, faster way for guests to ship items home. The process of writing out the packing slips really takes time and slows down the lines. I love shipping things home because I don’t have to worry about luggage space and who doesn’t love getting a box from Disney?! I am hoping that they work on streamlining the process, maybe they can use the Magic Band technology and just scan your band someday.

Our list was complete and it was time to catch the bus back to the Grand Floridian so we could head to the Magic Kingdom!!

Magic Kingdom

I had made a few FP+ for mid day so we would have plan of action. We rode Buzz Lightyear then decided to grab some late lunch at Casey’s. It was 2:30 PM or so and the place was jammed with nowhere to sit. We noticed other folks booking down to the Tomorrowland Terrace with their meals, so did the same. Nice and quiet over there, but the bathroom facilities are small for that size dining room, plus the bathrooms next store were closed. I do love a good weenie-my favorite are a local company Smith’s, but a close second are the Vienna beef dogs from Chicago. A satisfying lunch it was. Back through Tomorrowland and onto the TTA. Afterwards our FP+ time for the Mine Ride was good to go! I did get the room ready notification while we were in line, so now we were really excited!

Off to the ferry we went.

Grand Floridian Villas
We were able to snag a two night stay with some leftover points we had to use and wow. I was amazed by this place and I want to come back!! I need more points L
Reception-Ma and Papa bear on the left

Overall Review

Checking into the villas isn’t like checking into the regular resorts. I understand the units are a lot bigger and there is a smaller supply. BLT seems to be an issue, but it was before 4 when we received the room text notification. So pretty good as far as the wait time for the room.

After we had seen the article about the villas’ construction in the Disney DVC News it definitely built some excitement. Even after being in the lobby for some time, I knew it would be over the top. We were expecting a tighter layout than BLT and the Boardwalk, but we were surprised by the size of the unit. The living space very comfortably could seat 4-5 people-the chair and couch were plush and welcoming. I found the BWV & BLT villa couches to be uncomfortable-probably because they are older pull outs. There are 2 ottomans with additional storage along with the Murphy bed underneath the television.

The kitchen has a curved booth with chairs, full sized refrigerator, plenty of storage and counter space. The wood floor is easy to clean if you make some minor spills. One of the coolest things in the kitchen is the small desk nook that has a couple of drawers and outlets, which was a perfect charging station. I am not one to like having my phone or iPad near me when I sleep, so it was the perfect spot. The hallway behind the kitchen, where the entry way is has a full laundry area with sliding doors to hide when not in use. The hall connects to the master bathroom via a door.

The 2nd bedroom with 2 queen beds is similar to the 2nd BLT in size. There is a small table with 2 chairs and a big dresser with 8 drawers done in a mirror finish to give that old fashioned look. There is also a patio with chairs and crown molded ceilings to expand the room. Across from the bathroom is a double sided wall closet with slide by shutter style doors and opposite the closet is a full length mirror. There is a desk right by the 2nd bedroom entrance and the floor is bamboo till you reach the bed area where there is carpet. Lots of space to spread out

The bathroom is fabulous-not as breathtaking as the master bath, but a close 2nd. Featuring slide by doors the tub and toilet are in a section separated from the sink and walk in shower. The walk in shower was probably the highlight of my excitement-large stall with multiple function sprays and controls plus a bench to put them legs up for a good shave!

2nd Bedroom

Master bedroom had a king bed of course, huge master bathroom with vanity, bath tub in middle room and shower and toilet. A huge walk in closet is a plus too

[/URL

I can’t wait to come back here! We have stayed at the GF many times over the years and it has always been an enjoyable experience. I love the bright rooms and whimsy of the theme. The service has been a cut above some of the other deluxe resorts, which are also very good, but a couple CMs can make a big difference. Upon check out we did deal with a CM at the front desk of the GFV whom either didn’t know or wasn’t properly trained on an issue, but it finally was resolved by the help of a bellman named Mike! He was wonderful and I was sure to express my gratitude for him before we left. That being our only complaint, overall our stay was magical.

*****5 Stars

Be Our Guest
A
fter we had settled in and were finished unpacking it was time to head back to the Magic Kingdom for dinner.

This would be our first time at BOG and I was pretty darn excited! The check in process is similar to other restaurants, but of course there is more to explore and anticipate here. It wasn’t long before our buzzer was going off to be seated and it was a few minutes early!

[/URL
]

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/WDW Restaurants/IMG_2917.jpg.html
Our hostess gave the spiel on the window and different dining rooms as we were lead to our table near the walkway in the main ballroom. Our table was on the end in a high traffic area, but it was in far enough not to be too distracting. Beast would walk by every so often and we had a primo view for that. The sheer size of the restaurant is impressive, although it does feel slightly cafeteria’ish even though it is table service. Maybe it feels different in the other wings, but the high ceilings and endless tables add a noise level that I like to avoid in other places. I had a great view of the “outside” and falling snow, which being from Pennsylvania isn’t all that unique considering it is just a painful reminder of what the next four months will bring lol
http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/WDW Restaurants/IMG_2917.jpg.html
[/URL
]

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/WDW Restaurants/IMG_1950-1.jpg.html
Presentation is key and the napkins folded like roses, thumbs up.

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/WDW Restaurants/IMG_1950-1.jpg.html
Jennifer was over shortly to greet us and take our drink order. She explained the menu thoroughly after she returned and we made our selections for appetizers and dinner. Now it was time to enjoy the atmosphere some more.

Our appetizers arrived in an appropriate amount of time. I ordered the French onion soup topped with gruyere and the traditional crouton. The soup flavor was good, not too overpowering and the onion flavor was pleasant. Often times the onion soup is dominated by the beef stock. DF went with the potato leek soup and he is a big fan. The soup was good he just likes the temperature to be right below boiling, so that being his only complaint I think it was good. DM had the house salad with champagne vinaigrette and oh my was it saturated. To top it off it was quite tart, almost unpleasant, so it had to go back. Not sure if someone didn’t follow the recipe, but even with the accompaniments it was tough to swallow-even the manager was concerned. Ask for the dressing on the side to be safe!

The dishes were cleared and drinks refreshed soon after we finished our starters. The Beast did a couple of walk throughs in the meantime. Our dinners came out also within a good time period. Well before the time you start looking for random things on the table to eat. I went with the braised pork shank, but it was a difficult decision. It was our first visit and the menu has some great sounding dishes. Mashed potatoes would have been nice, I’m not into this whole mashed/pureed cauliflower craze. I did notice they changed the menu to mashed potatoes in March. Smart move for main stream dining-you can make more trendy dishes at the signatures, but for the more popular restaurants they should stick to the classics. Just my humble opinion.
IMG_2944.jpg
[/URL
]

DF had the shrimp in scallops in puff pastry. It looked lovely and he enjoyed the rich flavor from the freshness of the seafood and creamy lobster sauce. The accompanying mushrooms and vegetables were cooked well and complimented the entire dish. If you are a seafood lover, I would recommend this one for something a little different than your typical seafood pasta dish. DM had the grilled strip steak and it was prepared well. The dish was served with French fries, a heaping pile of green beans and garlic butter into which I was dipping the fries.

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/WDW Food Pictures/IMG_2944.jpg.html
Now for the sweet stuff:

Chocolate cream puff and lemon meringue

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/WDW Food Pictures/IMG_2944.jpg.html
I love the concept of the desserts on the cart and the presentation-it gets the patrons to look at the delicious offerings. How can they turn down dessert now-they have already picked out what they wanted?! I think the mystique of the dessert cart helps sell desserts. Unfortunately the execution was poorly carried out. Even with the idea that the kitchen is not being burdened with having a dessert station or staff, your server, if bogged down by other tables is going to make or break the experience. Our server was overloaded and the service really fell apart at the end. It took too long from the time we finished our meal to have the payment cleared and be on our way.

Overall the entrees and appetizers were great. For an inside park restaurant for table service price I find it to be a great value and a tough ticket to come by for an ADR! Timing wasn’t great, but I’m sure it would be different on another evening

****4 Stars
5/5 Food
3/5 Service
4/5 Total Experience

Kona breakfast

How can you resist Tonga Toast and Kona coffee if they are a stone’s throws way?! A short lovely walk from the Villas brings you to the outskirts of the Polynesian Resort grounds. Kona Café is mom and I‘s favorite place for breakfast. DF doesn’t like the breakfast potatoes, but it is always something with either of them lol.

If you arrive before 9AM most days, the wait times are shorter we find. This is true during the slower seasons in September, October and January at least. The restaurant was practically empty when we arrived, but slowly picked up as we were finished eating.

Not long after we were seated Ann came by to welcome us. She is a veteran server at Kona Café and we remember her from year to year. She is incredibly friendly and always happy to share her knowledge of the resort area if you get talking about the subject.

The ham and cheese omelets and Tonga toast came out quickly. Breakfast tends to come out within a reasonable about of time at the Kona Café. It is great Breakfast should be rather fast for kitchen, most of the items are prepared ahead of time and eggs and deep fried items are prepared to order. Kona seems to run very smoothly on any given day.

You can’t go wrong with a stop for breakfast at the Kona Café in my humble opinion. Excellent experience year after year.

*****5 Stars
5/5 Food
5/5 Service
5/5 Total Experience

Off to the monorail to head for the Magic Kingdom

First stop was the 7 Dwarves Mine Ride. The stand by line wasn’t too bad-we ended up waiting maybe 45 minutes. The queue is really neat and new, so exploring that a bit was fun. My only problem with interactive queues is guests not keeping up with the lines. I realize they added these features for entertainment, but often it slows up the line and then people are trying to catch back up. Rather annoying-are you there to ride the ride or play with queue games?

Afterwards we wandered down into Tomorrowland and waited for Space Mountain. It was a shorter wait than 7DMR, but still a pretty hefty stand by wait. The ride seems like it is getting rougher on my body or I am getting older and less flexible lol. It feels pretty rigid at times, especially that last drop and acceleration aye! Always fun and nostalgic-I remember being tall enough, but scared to ride. Luckily I got over that a couple of years ago ;)

We stopped for a little water and restroom break, then check out Merchant of Venus to cool off a bit. Carousel of Progress was begging to be experienced over there in the corner, so we took a ride back to the past, present and future. I’m sure a lot of folks think it’s hokey and out of place in Tomorrowland, but it offers valuable insight that is still relevant today. See Disney World is educational!

Afterwards a little TTA was in order before lunch at the Plaza.

Off to the monorail to head for the Magic Kingdom

Look ma! No pumpkins

[/URL
]

The Citizens of Main Street were out and about

[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Magic%20Kingdom/IMG_2007.jpg.html][/URL
]

First stop was the 7 Dwarves Mine Ride. The stand by line wasn’t too bad-we ended up waiting maybe 45 minutes. The queue is really neat and new, so exploring that a bit was fun. My only problem with interactive queues is guests not keeping up with the lines. I realize they added these features for entertainment, but often it slows up the line and then people are trying to catch back up. Rather annoying-are you there to ride the ride or play with queue games?

Afterwards we wandered down into Tomorrowland and waited for Space Mountain. It was a shorter wait than 7DMR, but still a pretty hefty stand by wait. The ride seems like it is getting rougher on my body or I am getting older and less flexible lol. It feels pretty rigid at times, especially that last drop and acceleration aye! Always fun and nostalgic-I remember being tall enough, but scared to ride. Luckily I got over that a couple of years ago ;)

[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Magic%20Kingdom/ddcc432b.jpg.html][/URL
]

We stopped for a little water and restroom break, then check out Merchant of Venus to check out some goodies. Carousel of Progress was begging to be experienced over there in the corner, so we took a ride back to the past, present and future. I’m sure a lot of folks think it’s hokey and out of place in Tomorrowland, but it offers valuable insight that is still relevant today. See Disney World is educational!

Afterwards a little TTA was in order before lunch at the Plaza.
[/URL][/URL]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter