Disney in 1 day

mummahustle

Earning My Ears
Hello!

My husband and I will be in Orlando at a conference the last week in Feb. We (I :P) are planning to sneak away for one day at WDW. I have been 2 times in the past 3 years( and 2 or 3 times as a child), but this will be the only time we will not have the littles with us. At last visit we did MK, AK, and Epcot(not a lot of time spent here, but enough for littles). We stayed away from HS because it was prior to toy story opening and the construction kept us away.

What would you recommend for us to do? My husband likes Disney, but isn't as crazy about it as I am, as he doesn't enjoy large crowds. He does enjoy good food, and more thrilling rides. I am going to get hopper pass because I can't choose just one park!
We will probably have one sit down dinner while we are there. We are also not staying on property, so we will need to consider this while planning. Our hotel is about 20 mins away from the parks.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!!

Hello!

My husband and I will be in Orlando at a conference the last week in Feb. We (I :P) are planning to sneak away for one day at WDW. I have been 2 times in the past 3 years( and 2 or 3 times as a child), but this will be the only time we will not have the littles with us. At last visit we did MK, AK, and Epcot(not a lot of time spent here, but enough for littles). We stayed away from HS because it was prior to toy story opening and the construction kept us away.

What would you recommend for us to do? My husband likes Disney, but isn't as crazy about it as I am, as he doesn't enjoy large crowds. He does enjoy good food, and more thrilling rides. I am going to get hopper pass because I can't choose just one park!
We will probably have one sit down dinner while we are there. We are also not staying on property, so we will need to consider this while planning. Our hotel is about 20 mins away from the parks.

From how you described your husband, you could probably do a few hours in HS, and then hop over to Epcot for the World Showcase and the couple of thrill rides there, or vice versa. I did Epcot, then took a boat to HS, then came back to Epcot on my last trip, but doing that, even by boat, is a bit tedious. It only takes 2-3 hours to do the most thrilling rides in HS anyway(Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Slinky Dog Dash), if you plan your fastpasses carefully. I think those two parks would make for a nice adult experience of it for a single day, and you are spoiled for choice for restaurants between the two parks and the Boardwalk.

From how you described your husband, you could probably do a few hours in HS, and then hop over to Epcot for the World Showcase and the couple of thrill rides there, or vice versa. I did Epcot, then took a boat to HS, then came back to Epcot on my last trip, but doing that, even by boat, is a bit tedious. It only takes 2-3 hours to do the most thrilling rides in HS anyway(Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Slinky Dog Dash), if you plan your fastpasses carefully. I think those two parks would make for a nice adult experience of it for a single day, and you are spoiled for choice for restaurants between the two parks and the Boardwalk.

Thanks for the response Brad!

I have never gone to the parks while staying off property before. What is the situation with fast pass selection, as soon as I get my tickets I can make the selections at the 30 day?

Hello!

If you only have one day my suggestion would be MK and EPCOT. MK, you could do all the mountains since your husband likes thrill rides and maybe throw in 7DMT. Can't miss out on Haunted Mansion or Pirates either! EPCOT.....personally with the two of you only, I'd say just take a walk around the world showcases and enjoy the culture. There are some Perry Missions which I'm told even adults enjoy who are kidless! Give those a try! You have to decide which two parks you want to explore and then maybe we could help you better! :D

What would you suggests for actives at MK? all the Mts? and then what for good dinning, will prob skip on character meals due to being kid-free this trip
Yes..all the mountains...Even the Mine ride is really cool. As for food or anything else...just wing it. But, If i could only be there a day or 2...M.K. would be where i spent my time. Maybe Epcot the second day....but, M.K. is has so much to do...
I would not do character meals with no kids....imho

Ok, I just suggested this on another similar thread, but.....I’d do a tour, like maybe Ultimate Day of Thrills. So pricey for a whole family, but just as a couple.....Maybe it sounds so great because I’ve never done one! But it seems like a great way to maximize a day and something you can’t or probably wouldn’t do with the kids, at least for a long time (not sure their ages).

Thanks for the response Brad!

I have never gone to the parks while staying off property before. What is the situation with fast pass selection, as soon as I get my tickets I can make the selections at the 30 day?

Yes, but be up at 6AM so you can get what is left of the hard to get ones when it opens at 7AM(Eastern). You will have to have a plan though. As for the restaurants, any table service you can also book at 180 days out. My next trip will actually be my first official stay on property. Last time I stayed in a friend's room at Pop(single night) due to complications with my travel plans and the time before that I stayed off property. Remember, Epcot's World Showcase doesn't open until 11AM, so if you go with my suggestion, that gives you 2 hours in another park, or longer if you opt for Early Morning Magic(available for Fantasyland and Toy Story Land on alternating days).

If you only have one day my suggestion would be MK and EPCOT. MK, you could do all the mountains since your husband likes thrill rides and maybe throw in 7DMT. Can't miss out on Haunted Mansion or Pirates either! EPCOT.....personally with the two of you only, I'd say just take a walk around the world showcases and enjoy the culture. There are some Perry Missions which I'm told even adults enjoy who are kidless! Give those a try! You have to decide which two parks you want to explore and then maybe we could help you better! :D

Possibly adding in Soarin and Test Track for Epcot since they are basically Epcot's version of thrill rides. Different kind of thrill to a coaster though.

Thank you everyone for the input so far! This is sort of where I am at now. I am thinking EPCOT and either MK or HS. I am leaning towards MK so that when we go next year with the kids we will still have something "new" for my husband to do. When we were in EPCOT last year with the kids we just did a couple of the Nemo attractions and dinner at coral due to it being our arrival day. I am leaning toward MK (as long as there are not EMH that day) for the 2nd park because of the easy transportation between the two, where we will not have a vehicle with us.

Any of you ever done the illuminations dessert party?

Thank you everyone for the input so far! This is sort of where I am at now. I am thinking EPCOT and either MK or HS. I am leaning towards MK so that when we go next year with the kids we will still have something "new" for my husband to do. When we were in EPCOT last year with the kids we just did a couple of the Nemo attractions and dinner at coral due to it being our arrival day. I am leaning toward MK (as long as there are not EMH that day) for the 2nd park because of the easy transportation between the two, where we will not have a vehicle with us.

Any of you ever done the illuminations dessert party?

There is a Illuminations Dining Package now as well, if you like the Rose & Crown Dining Room. I think that Package may be prix fixe though. Anyway, be sure to do Soarin at Epcot. Not every kid can handle that ride, so it may be a good chance to while you and your husband are traveling alone.

There is a Illuminations Dining Package now as well, if you like the Rose & Crown Dining Room. I think that Package may be prix fixe though. Anyway, be sure to do Soarin at Epcot. Not every kid can handle that ride, so it may be a good chance to while you and your husband are traveling alone.

My husband has his pilots license so I am sure he will love the soarin'! We did FoP at AK last year and he loved it. I think we will end up doing dinner at EPCOT so Ill check out the rose and crown menu, thanks!

My husband has his pilots license so I am sure he will love the soarin'! We did FoP at AK last year and he loved it. I think we will end up doing dinner at EPCOT so Ill check out the rose and crown menu, thanks!

I am sure that he will then. It's an amazing ride, and one I won't go to Epcot without doing. It's also right above Living with the Land(boat ride), so you could fit in that at the same time if you wanted. Either way, enjoy yourselves. The dining package(Illuminations Dining Package) is separate from the main listing for Rose & Crown Dining Room, but the menu should still give you an idea of what to expect.

One day--if it were a time when there was a Festival at EPCOT, then I'd spend the whole day there. If time when MK XMAS party was on, then I would eat at BOMA at AKL for breakfast, then go to AK for the day, then spend the whole evening enjoying XMAS party at MK. If not holiday or festival, then again BOMA for breakfast, AKL 1/2 day, then rest of day and evening at EPCOT.

One day--if it were a time when there was a Festival at EPCOT, then I'd spend the whole day there. If time when MK XMAS party was on, then I would eat at BOMA at AKL for breakfast, then go to AK for the day, then spend the whole evening enjoying XMAS party at MK. If not holiday or festival, then again BOMA for breakfast, AKL 1/2 day, then rest of day and evening at EPCOT.

That could also work for the Halloween parties. The original poster did say she will be there at the end of February, right before the Flower & Garden Festival starts at Epcot, though it is possible her trip may overlap with it, and there are plenty of food booths(as well as merch booths) then as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter