Disney Has the Best Chicken Nuggets Ever! - Update Dump - Finally Completed!

Uggh how frustrating! And yes, I get the need for security, too. But my understanding is that the gate-check security is just one of many security measures, and that it isn't usually the most important but rather a little bit for show to make people feel secure. There are also undercover security personnel who are doing a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to keeping us all safe. I may have read that from an unreliable source, not sure. But since then I've always kind of questioned the set up a bit. Especially when I get stuck in a really slow line.
I've heard similar before. I mean she was extremely thorough. I get the need for security, but man...

:sad2: Why!? Always the restroom!! It's like nobody remembers to evacuate before leaving, and then decides it's time as soon as there's something pressing to do!
I know, right?

I accept this. :thumbsup2
Approval!

Uh oh. I feel you here. FoP got me for motion sickness, too. I'm sure mine is worse than yours, but I went in with high hopes after hearing how well-synced the video and motion was. I'm sure it didn't help that you had to keep looking away, kind of like how I can't look backwards in a moving vehicle.
I'm sorry this didn't work out better for you. I did feel like when I rode it again, it really wasn't bad at all.

I always kind of found this to be the case at Tusker House, too.
That's a shame. It seems to get pretty much universally great reviews. I just wasn't feeling it.

I really like Tusker House, and I enjoy the food. I do, however, find the character interactions not to be as good as other places, and it always feels claustrophobic and chaotic in there to me for some reason. I like it, but I don't think of it as a must-do. I'm not sure any character buffet at Disney is really "worth the money," but I find the value for the price lower on this one compared to others.
I agree with you 100%. You said it very well.

Hmmm, wonder why this is... :laughing:
Easier to service a 5 minute drive with just 1 bus... :rolleyes1

Of course they were. :laughing:
It never fails.

That's no moon...

I had to post that one before anyone else beat me to it.
:thumbsup2 Thanks for not letting me down!

Seems like a sensible plan.
::yes::

:faint: This is me in a grocery store. I pick the wrong line Every. Single. Time.
I'm right there with you.

Absolutely! I can see Groot in there.

Looks like very cool theming and detail.
It is. I might not be crazy about the subject matter, but the Imagineers really nailed the details.

This is typically how I feel about most dark rides. They're fine, I guess.
::yes:: I do like the classics, maybe more for nostalgia, but this one clearly doesn't strike a chord there...

That doesn't sound good.
No... we really had nowhere to sit in the shade while waiting on others to ride FoP.

Yikes. That's, uh...not good at all.
:sad2:

Sounds like it was a less-than-optimal first experience on this ride. But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
Well, nobody died so there's that.

I wonder if your impression would have changed if you'd ridden with him instead of DD.
He was riding with us. I know he had fun, but she just kind of demanded too much attention.

Oh, come on. This is standard practice in restaurants at this point, isn't it?
One would think so.

Animatronics were down.
Clearly

I think there's a secret message board out there where kids post ideas like this on how to drive us over the edge. It's a conspiracy, I tell you! A conspiracy!

You'll appreciate my O'hana experience when I get to the Deep South road trip.
That's gotta be it! You can't be telling me one of your kids left Ohana hungry????

There are worse ways to spend your time.
Definitely. Like right now. I'm at work.

I love that building.

I have definitely done that "make the wrong move by going to the shorter line when really its the slower line" move.
Every. Single. Time.

Glad you made it on Navi River Journey with a short wait. I agree that it's short but I enjoyed it and definitely would ride it again with a FP or a short wait.
I'd definitely ride it again. I just wish they had made it just a little bit longer. It feels like you just get going and next thing you know it is over.

Oh jeez I'm sorry you had a crappy first time on FoP. Curious to hear how your second time on it went.
Well, I did like it better the next time.

Nice pics at Tusker House! I'm sorry it felt rushed though.
It was a nice meal, but the characters were a little bit lackluster.

Sounds like it was a good (and needed) break at the resort!

Sounds a good plan of action.
Thanks!

Seems to always happen to me too. I always pick the wrong line.

This happened to us way too many times when we had a big group.
There's just no way to get everyone to sync up. :rotfl2:

I didn't notice this when we went. Now that you pointed it out I totally see is.
I just can't look at the pictures and not see it.

I agree with your assessment on this. It's a good ride to take the little kids on.
::yes:: It's enjoyable. Now for an hour wait? Heck no!

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. I get motion sickness real easy too. If I had looked away from the screen this would have happened to me too. I have to be in the moment. I hope you give it another try when you can just focus on your ride and enjoyment.
I did ride it again and had no motion issues that time.

Really cute photos with the characters. LG doesn't look like he trust them yet.
He had his moments. Sometimes he was more into them than others. He never really freaked out at the sight of them or anything though.

Our least favorite meal from May. We did it with the Rivers of Light seating, but we did dinner. Characters were rushed and the food was just ok. DH felt it was way overpriced for the experience.
That's kind of how I felt. The characters didn't spend much time with us at all. Just a few pictures and then they were off.

Of course!
Otherwise they'd have people trying to walk down the highway... :rolleyes1

I hope that rest paid off for y'all and the Evil DD didn't make an appearance.
It definitely was better than EPCOT!

I'm pages behind!! But determined to catch up as best I can before I leave in a week, Andy. Worked more hours this week than I have in a long time, so have a good excuse. ;)
You've got a lot on your plate right now!

Good choice!

Hmmm, or not.
Hey, when it is hot, you've pretty much run through all your other must do's and there's an air conditioned queue... why not?

I need a re-do on this! I stunk at it last time.
Oh! Come on! It's easy! I've found it best to not try to create a vehicle that does a little bit of everything well. Then you do end up running out of time and end up with something that is average. Pick one or 2 of the characteristics and build it to max those out... for instance, power and capability.

YES!!!!! Best choice of day!

Oops! Nope! This was your best choice of your day.

Well, ummm, if you'd liked it. :sad2:
Ok, I did like it. I just didn't prefer it to my "usual."

Not their business.
True

Yes. Just you.

Awww, this is super sweet!
::yes:: He's a great big cousin.

Denied!

Ugh! So sorry, Andy. That is....wearing.

This is totally unacceptable. But sadly happens WAYYYYYYYYY too frequently. Sorry you had to dela with that. :(
That was my biggest overall disappointment with AKL. The bus service in general was subpar.

My strategy usually. Grab a snack, find a bench. Wait it out.
::yes:: I can't argue that one, but when the park was practically empty during the fireworks, I couldn't have expected bedlam at the bus stops.

Now to get all my photos off PB and maaaaaaaaaaaybe redo my old TRs. Dunno. A lot of work.
Yeah, forget that. I'm not going to go back and re-do the old TRs. If the tech companies can stop supporting a product that is 2 years old, then I can stop supporting a TR that is 6 years old. :rotfl2:

I'm hearing this is pretty essential right now.

Of course you did. Of course you did.
My luck...

and if it was broken? Then what???
I'm guessing we'd be out of luck? I'm just glad I didn't have to find out.

Okay, that is seriously cool!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it!

Good to know!
Sometimes I can have useful information!

That fast! For that ride!
I would've thought for sure for FoP, but not that one. Oy!
When we walked into Pandora... well we passed the end of the line for FoP which was extended out of the land already. I think we walked onto the River Journey when FoP was something like a posted 3 hour wait... at rope drop. They had CM's working just to maintain order to the FoP line and breaking the line at points so that they could allow traffic to cross. It was that crazy and this was 1 1/2 months after it opened.

Hmmm... Okay. Guess I'll see in a couple weeks, but... you're not exactly making me want to run out and ride it.
Sorry. Unless you want to have the words Ah Eywa ... or whatever it is... in your head all day you might want to employ your Small World AC/DC strategy.

:laughing: I like it!
:thumbsup2

I haven't heard anything about it. I'll keep an eye out too.
Seems like this was the first big thing I'd heard about in the land.

Well, it is in another solar system you know.
True. Must be closer to their sun.

Uh, oh. You don't look much different from me. Hoping I'll fit.
I'm probably bigger than I look.

:( Too bad. I keep hearing such wonderful reviews of it.

Yeah. That would definitely do it. How can you enjoy something when you can't even really experience it?
Hope your next ride will be better!
The next ride was better. Still don't think I'm as wild about it as most though. Again... don't like Avatar and I'm stubborn, so... :confused3

I've wanted to go there for a long time.
Me too.

Smart move! No rush, then.
Some of my ideas are good...

Hey! She made it in a photo! And smiling, too!
And it isn't even completely blurry!

"That is one big duck."

"No. Seriously. Have you seen how big this sucker is?"
The looks on his face were great!

I'm sorry... what????

So much for a tip.
See, that's where they get you... automatic gratuity for parties of 6 or more. :faint:

Yeah... almost impossible to see them except in the early morning.

Abandon park! Abandon park! Ahoooga!
I was ready to go. We've got a zoo in Indianapolis that is fantastic. Sorry to say it, but that's how I view the trails.

Of course. This is a given.

Whoa! Beautiful shot, Andy!
Thanks. Every now and then I get lucky!

Oh there it is!
I was like: "Giraffe? What giraffe?"
Well, my phone doesn't take the best pictures. It honestly wasn't as far away and as tiny as it looked in the pictures. It isn't like he was right by our balcony, but it was much easier to see it among the trees in real time than it was in the pictures.

Are ya sure those are ur photos? I found them on flickr so I was wondering.
Well, I uploaded them to flickr... so yeah!

Ugh. that is the worst. They are def being more way more nit picky than they used to be. But I have terrible line choice making as well. The one morning, DH and I each picked a row to see who was faster. I lost... :(
::yes:: I just wish it would be consistent. I'd be less frustrated by that, although I'm sure we'd all be complaining about it taking too long if they were all so thorough.

Oh the potty breaks! So many potty breaks and usually at the wrong time..

I see it! Now that is all I am going to see!
That's all I can see!

Me too. I think it's because it's not a real thing. Or I guess not a real thing I care about reallly. The ride is totally a it's a small world ride and once the lines die down for it, it will be fine. Something to ride while you wait for your FOP fastpass.
::yes:: It will be a nice enjoyable ride, but it just isn't something I can see waiting any substantial amount of time for.

Oh man! Not a good first time! I hope you ride it again and at least have a better ride.
It was better the next time around.

OMG! His face!!!! He seriously looks like What in the world is THAT?!?
:rotfl2: Yeah, his faces were priceless.

What time were you there? That sounds ideal time for us.
I don't remember the exact time. It was the last breakfast seating so I think it was maybe 10:45 or 11.

Isn't that always the way?! Sigh.
kids... :sad2:

Crossing my fingers that it worked. Rest always helps!
Gotta try something!

Glad to see you were able to successfully get on and off of it's a small moon in a relatively short period of time.
Yeah, I was worried with the surprise restroom stop, but thankfully we were there early enough that it didn't make much of a difference.

I can understand where your wife is coming from with how spread out AK is. I haven't been in a long time, but I do get kind of irritated when walking through a park with nothing around for what seems like miles to get where I am going. It seems like a poor use of space. With AK, though, it's all about the immersion and all that, so I guess it makes sense.
I don't think she really appreciates the immersion so much and the theming in that park doesn't speak to her. I enjoy it and don't mind spending some time there, but as far as just seeing the animals goes, we have a nice zoo nearby and we prefer to spend time doing more unique experiences and attractions at Disney World. When you look at it that way, AK just doesn't have a whole lot to offer and what it does have is all spread out.

I also find your review of FOP interesting. You are one of few who have not been impressed/blown away, from what I have read. I suppose between the motion sickness and DD's distress, it would make the experience less than favorable. But at the same time, I kind of hope you are right and that I agree with you because I'm pretty sure we're only going to be able to ride it once while we're there.
Well, I did like it better the next time. Like I said, I'm not an Avatar fan so I'm not going to be overly enthusiastic about it. I did like it better the second time around. The ride is very, very well done. The video is unbelievably crisp and clear and the ride is smooth as can be. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

My feelings on the addition of Pandora are pretty similar. I honestly don't care that I haven't been back to WDW to see it yet, nor am I anxiously awaiting to get there to see it anytime soon. I'm also not really looking forward to Star Wars either, but that's a whole 'nother post. lol
I get it... Just like my feelings about Harry Potter. It's an impressive land, it just doesn't really speak to me the way it does someone like you.

Cute pics of the kids with the characters at Tusker House!
Thanks!

I sorely miss AKL! Love the pics from there too. I hope we are able to stay there again some day!
We really did enjoy our time there. I'm still bummed that we made that switch after we're pretty much finalized our ADRs. I regret not fitting Boma or Sanaa in there somewhere. Just another reason to visit sometime in the future.

Sounds like she might have been new. I think they're trained to be that thorough, but they quickly realize it will bottleneck the line too much.
I can see that being the case. I'd rather see them be consistent, whatever it is that they decide is necessary. I'd have less reason to complain then, but we'd probably all be up in arms about security taking 5 hours.

At least you didn't have another where's mom moment, but yeah, do a sergeant Carter...move it move it move it!
No kidding!

I'll try Na'vi, but thus far, I'm not a big fan of the dark rides except to get out of the heat.

I've never seen nor been interested in Avatar and I've heard several people complain about the motion simulator (more so at the dark side, but this one too). Still not sure if we go to AKL if this will be an attempt at FP or not. Sorry for the DD experience which hurt yours.
It is an enjoyable dark ride, but certainly not worthy of a long wait. When it gets to be something that is more of a consistent 15 minute wait... definitely worth doing.

As for simulators, I'm clearly not a big fan. The Avatar IP doesn't speak to me and as someone who can ride any rollercoaster with no problems, but gets motion sick on simulators... FoP had to fight an uphill battle to please me. I will say that the picture is crisp and clear and the motion is very smooth on this one. I won't go so far as calling it the best ride in Disney World/in Florida/in the World as some on these boards have, but I'd say it is the best simulator type attraction I've ridden. Not my favorite, but the best in design and quality.

You really haven't been having good results with servers this trip. :sad2: Sorry Andy
No. Not at all.

When they're only 5 minutes away, it's easier to get a bus within a reasonable amount of time even if it's only 1 bus. When it's a 4 hour round trip, it needs to have more than 1 bus in the rotation.
Exactly!

Now why would they want to fill up on the expensive stuff when there's chicken nuggets to be had later?
:sad:
Hence the name of this TR. But that discussion happens later.

I know it's still yet to come, but hoping the nap made her nicer/more tolerable later.
It couldn't hurt, right?

I got a bigger kick out of the ostrich. I realize they have a tiny brain and are not the brightest bulb in the animal kingdom pack, but it still had me amused for quite a while. I was sitting out on the balcony enjoying my tea and the beautiful climate (February vs. blast furnace) and this one ostrich kept going back and forth between two points in the electric fence about 50 ft apart. It would stop, put it's head/neck down and examine the fence looking for a way through/hoping there was a gap. It would then walk back to the other spot and do the same. Lather, rinse, repeat ad naseum.
That ostrich was seriously out there every morning.

We were able to grab a morning FP for Flight of Passage so our plan was to go straight to Na’vi River Journey to avoid waiting in the crazy lines.

Sounds like a solid plan. I had considered doing something like this but circumstances beyond my control dictated otherwise.

We approached the security area and I chose poorly.

I noticed on the far left, there was a short line with 1 person in it.

What I failed to realize before I got there was that every other security CM was getting about 4 people through the line in the time it took her to check 1.

I really try to look for that at WDW, there are so many guards checking and one of them is going to be overzealous and it seems I get that one every time.

I finally made it through and we lined up at one of the tapstiles to enter the park. In short time we were in. I was trying to get everybody moving towards Pandora. I thought everybody understood the importance.

Until we saw a restroom and we had to stop.

:faint: I know exactly what you mean. Fran did the same thing to me on our day with FoP FP.

Slight delay behind us, we quickly made it to Pandora and saw the masses lining up for FoP.

Well at least you were going for the less sought after attraction. Even last week waits for that were between 85 minutes and 125. :eek:

And yes, the floating mountains definitely look like some kind of a big monster trying to pick up a smaller mountai

:laughing: Now that you mention it they do!

I'm so glad that you didn't post this update sooner. I've only read one other review of Pandora before this and that was someone who went to the previews. It was so long ago that all I remembered was that I clearly needed to see the movie to grasp any kind of understanding of this land.

As for the ride, we thought it was good. It was a typical dark ride. I felt like it was too short, honestly, I’d have liked to have seen more.

I kind if liked it, but I was shooting pictures non stop. Someday I'll have to ride it without my camera.

It’s something I’d try to do anytime I go back, but I see it like a Small World type thing.

I've heard it described as the Jungle Cruise without the jokes.

It’s maybe worthy of a 15 – 20 minute wait in line.

I totally agree on this one.

I made sure to really take in the Na’vi animatronic at the end of the ride. Having heard how impressive it is… well, it’s a big blue animatronic. It moves fluidly, but I didn’t get that lifelike feel from the eye contact or anything like that. Maybe hearing the reviews and comments about it set the bar too high, but I just didn’t get all the fuss about it.

I'm glad I didn't hear any reviews. I didn't think I was all that special, just like you said, a big blue animatronic.

DD apparently likes flying on banshees even less than she enjoyed flying on Soarin.

Uh-oh! :eek:

I’ll go ahead and give my first impression of the ride. Remember, we did have Rider Swap passes, so we’d have a chance to do it again. But as of the first ride, I wasn’t impressed. I never cared for the Avatar movie to begin with, and I was among those who weren’t crazy about this land being added to AK.

I went in with no expectations, only having seen the movie the night before. I still scratch my head and say "why Avatar?" but I did find the ride exhilarating ... and nauseating. :rolleyes1

Our service was fine, but we had a server who refused to split the bill.

What the....is up with that?

The food was good. We had our meal at the perfect time because we got to eat breakfast and lunch.

That sounds like a win win!

The food was good and we ate plenty. Overall, for the price, I wasn’t wowed by the food or the character interactions. It just wasn’t anything special.

We had a meal there for the same reason and I'm gonna say I felt the same way.

The rest of us went on the Safari. I knew that our FP time wasn’t ideal, but it is kind of what we had to do to work around seeing Pandora first and then making our ADR. It was definitely a very hot and sunny day and the animals were not active at all in the early afternoon. The lions apparently decided it was too hot to even just lay on top of the rocks because we didn’t even see any of them out.

Ugh. I just can't take that kind of heat.

We waited about 10 minutes for a bus. As much as I hated the AKL bus service on this trip, they really do a good job getting you to and from AK… :rolleyes1

Well that's good because our next trip we want to stay back there again!

We swam and then grabbed some nuggets and fries from the Mara because the kids, who ate hardly anything at the $30 or $40 buffet 2 hours ago, were hungry.

Of course.

I’m not much of a napper. Honestly, if I take a nap, I tend to just get more tired when I wake up if it was just a short one, or if it is a long nap it tends to throw my sleep schedule off.

I have the same problem, but then again sometimes you really just need a nap!

Uh, oh. You don't look much different from me. Hoping I'll fit.

I think Andy is a bit taller than you (either that or his DW is really short.) You shouldn't have any problem fitting in the ride vehicle.

When we walked into Pandora... well we passed the end of the line for FoP which was extended out of the land already.

:eek:

FoP was something like a posted 3 hour wait... at rope drop.

:faint: What????

Sorry. Unless you want to have the words Ah Eywa ... or whatever it is... in your head all day you might want to employ your Small World AC/DC strategy.

Not for the first go... but any subsequent rides are fair game.

True. Must be closer to their sun.

Or suns.... no idea.

I'm probably bigger than I look.

You never have posted your vital statistics. :rolleyes:

The next ride was better. Still don't think I'm as wild about it as most though. Again... don't like Avatar and I'm stubborn, so... :confused3

:laughing: Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

The looks on his face were great!

See, that's where they get you... automatic gratuity for parties of 6 or more. :faint:

6??? That's it?

It's a Small Moon ... nice. Look, people like It's a Small World & It's a Small Mexico, so if the formula works, stick with it.

I have to say, I'm not overly excited about Flights of Passage. Maybe it's because I've never seen Avatar, but I haven't read a single review that makes me want to try it. I'm sure I will eventually, but ... meh.

You got some great character pictures at Tusker House! Even if it wasn't the best experience ... years from now the memories may fade, but the pictures will remain (especially because they're not on Photobucket).

I don't blame you at all for leaving AK ... that's not a fun place to be when it's hot out.

That view from your balcony really is fantastic...

Hey, when it is hot, you've pretty much run through all your other must do's and there's an air conditioned queue... why not?

I hear COP is pretty nice for that as well. Or IASW... niiiiiice long ride. ;) For EPCOT?

France movie. Every time.

Oh! Come on! It's easy! I've found it best to not try to create a vehicle that does a little bit of everything well. Then you do end up running out of time and end up with something that is average. Pick one or 2 of the characteristics and build it to max those out... for instance, power and capability.

okay, I'll give it another shot, but so far, not a fan.

:headache:

That was my biggest overall disappointment with AKL. The bus service in general was subpar.

We were on the tail end of our trip when it didn't matter anymore. And even then I can't remember is our stunk or not. But, knowing me and my luck, yeah, it stunk.

::yes:: I can't argue that one, but when the park was practically empty during the fireworks, I couldn't have expected bedlam at the bus stops.

Very true! I do remember several evenings with the kids just sitting down in the bus queue and waiting it out. End of the day waits are brutal.

Yeah, forget that. I'm not going to go back and re-do the old TRs. If the tech companies can stop supporting a product that is 2 years old, then I can stop supporting a TR that is 6 years old. :rotfl2:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Good point!

And yes, the floating mountains definitely look like some kind of a big monster trying to pick up a smaller mountain. Seriously, don't you see it?

YES! I do!!

We waited about 10 minutes for a bus. As much as I hated the AKL bus service on this trip, they really do a good job getting you to and from AK… :rolleyes1

Well..... :rolleyes1

We swam and then grabbed some nuggets and fries from the Mara because the kids, who ate hardly anything at the $30 or $40 buffet 2 hours ago, were hungry.

This is how you get kids to eat. Make sure you spend the $$ on a place they won't then wait 30-45 minutes. Works every time!

She checked every nook and cranny of the stroller, including opening and closing canopies and flipping pockets and pouches inside out. She ended up sending DW’s phone flying about 8 feet away across the pavement after knocking it out of a pocket. Thankfully it was in a good case. I get the need for security, but this just seemed extreme, especially as people in the next line over are just getting the cursory look under the stroller and moving on.

Sorry... out of order here.... ready twice.

Yeah, I'd agree, sounds kinda like overkill. Glad the phone wasn't broken!

Until we saw a restroom and we had to stop.

At that point, i guess I'd have been irritated. This is RD, People!!!

We went through the pre-show and boarded the ride. I’d heard about the ride mechanism being a tight fit. Mom was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to ride, because I have long legs and big feet. I didn’t have any problems with it, but I did have to work a little bit to fit my leg in. My knee barely fit underneath the part that it had to fit in and it was pressing tightly against it. I was able to maneuver my leg at an angle that worked, and the mechanism closed with no problems, but it certainly wasn’t comfortable. I could easily see someone with legs a little bit longer and thicker than mine not being able to fit in there.

Shoot. I'm really sorry you this wasn't an amazing ride for you. I keep hearing great things and can't wait. But yeah, being uncomfortable on it sounds horrible.

The food was good and we ate plenty. Overall, for the price, I wasn’t wowed by the food or the character interactions. It just wasn’t anything special. I can’t complain about it and we’ll probably go back sometime. I just don’t know that it will be a priority for us unless it is another “package” type thing for Rivers of Light seating or something similar.

I don't think I'll ever go: 1) Buffet, 2) characters. But at least the food was decent and you were full. But wouldn't split the check? Why not? That's just... weird!

Sounds like a solid plan. I had considered doing something like this but circumstances beyond my control dictated otherwise.
Understand... We can't control everything.

I really try to look for that at WDW, there are so many guards checking and one of them is going to be overzealous and it seems I get that one every time.
I should have paused, but I was using the logic that I've always used... sometimes the line on the far right or the far left is overlooked by most so I'm usually going to one of the far edges. That's where they were hiding her, away from the busier lines, apparently.

:faint: I know exactly what you mean. Fran did the same thing to me on our day with FoP FP.

Well at least you were going for the less sought after attraction. Even last week waits for that were between 85 minutes and 125. :eek:
::yes:: I know. It's just crazy!

:laughing: Now that you mention it they do!

I'm so glad that you didn't post this update sooner. I've only read one other review of Pandora before this and that was someone who went to the previews. It was so long ago that all I remembered was that I clearly needed to see the movie to grasp any kind of understanding of this land.
I'm glad others see that too!

I kind if liked it, but I was shooting pictures non stop. Someday I'll have to ride it without my camera.
::yes:: I enjoyed it, I guess, for what it is.

I've heard it described as the Jungle Cruise without the jokes.
Ok... I can see that one too.

I'm glad I didn't hear any reviews. I didn't think I was all that special, just like you said, a big blue animatronic.
I just remember from one of the TV specials... was it the Christmas "parade" or something a few years ago? They did their preview of Pandora and that animatronic was pretty much the whole focus of the preview. People were losing their minds about it. It thought it was ok... it probably moves a lot more fluidly but it didn't strike me as any more lifelike than say the Wicked Witch in GTMR.

I went in with no expectations, only having seen the movie the night before. I still scratch my head and say "why Avatar?" but I did find the ride exhilarating ... and nauseating. :rolleyes1
I think that's a fair assessment.

What the....is up with that?
That's what I would like to know. I wish I had been at the table when she brought the bill.

We had a meal there for the same reason and I'm gonna say I felt the same way.
For all the great reviews I've seen of this place prior, that seems to be the consensus among readers.

Well that's good because our next trip we want to stay back there again!
Well, if you plan to go to AK a lot, you're set!

Of course.
kids... :sad2:

I have the same problem, but then again sometimes you really just need a nap!
True.

I think Andy is a bit taller than you (either that or his DW is really short.) You shouldn't have any problem fitting in the ride vehicle.
You never have posted your vital statistics. :rolleyes:
Ok, 6'3" 235 lbs. Happy? And my knee to my ankle is long... for example, I'm sitting at my desk at work, I can't bend my knee 90 degrees and fit it under my desk.

Not for the first go... but any subsequent rides are fair game.
Fair enough

It's a Small Moon ... nice. Look, people like It's a Small World & It's a Small Mexico, so if the formula works, stick with it.
I mean the formula is tried and true.

I have to say, I'm not overly excited about Flights of Passage. Maybe it's because I've never seen Avatar, but I haven't read a single review that makes me want to try it. I'm sure I will eventually, but ... meh.
It really is technologically impressive. I'm not a big fan of motion simulator attractions, but this is probably the best one I've ever seen... not my favorite, but the best executed. It just comes back to it is a fictional world that I really don't have any attachment to nor do I care much about it. I just have a hard time being super excited about it.

You got some great character pictures at Tusker House! Even if it wasn't the best experience ... years from now the memories may fade, but the pictures will remain (especially because they're not on Photobucket).
Excellent point! :rotfl2:

I don't blame you at all for leaving AK ... that's not a fun place to be when it's hot out.
No, it isn't.

That view from your balcony really is fantastic...
::yes:: I couldn't complain. Getting that from a standard view room. Yes, please!

I hear COP is pretty nice for that as well. Or IASW... niiiiiice long ride. ;) For EPCOT?

France movie. Every time.
True... but remember, we were as far across the park from France as we could get.

We were on the tail end of our trip when it didn't matter anymore. And even then I can't remember is our stunk or not. But, knowing me and my luck, yeah, it stunk.
Well, you didn't have @pkondz with you so I think it is safe to say it stunk.

YES! I do!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Well..... :rolleyes1
I mean if there's one thing they can do well...

his is how you get kids to eat. Make sure you spend the $$ on a place they won't then wait 30-45 minutes. Works every time!
You speak the truth.

Sorry... out of order here.... ready twice.

Yeah, I'd agree, sounds kinda like overkill. Glad the phone wasn't broken!
Yeah, I'd have been upset if she broke it. I wasn't happy as it is... but then after she shot the phone across the asphalt rather than apologizing, she went on a tangent about that is exactly why they have to check everything, because I could have had anything tucked in that pocket. I wasn't amused... :sad2:

At that point, i guess I'd have been irritated. This is RD, People!!!
:sad2: I know. I thought I'd done better at communicating the importance.

Shoot. I'm really sorry you this wasn't an amazing ride for you. I keep hearing great things and can't wait. But yeah, being uncomfortable on it sounds horrible.
The second try was better. I'll say this, I'm not a motion simulator or screen based ride fan for obvious reasons, but of the genre, this one is the most crisp picture, and best executed one I've been on. I can't say that it is my favorite because the subject matter just doesn't speak to me, but it is a very well done ride. If I had to pick 1 ride to do in AK though, I'm still picking Everest without hesitation.

I don't think I'll ever go: 1) Buffet, 2) characters. But at least the food was decent and you were full. But wouldn't split the check? Why not? That's just... weird!
I think there was a bit of a communication barrier was part of it. Her English wasn't the best, but I wish she had brought the bill while I was at the table so I could have pressed the issue a bit. I think dad just gave up and handed her his credit card so we could get out of there.

Ok, 6'3" 235 lbs. Happy? And my knee to my ankle is long... for example, I'm sitting at my desk at work, I can't bend my knee 90 degrees and fit it under my desk.

I'll fit.

;)

I wish there was some way he could hook us all up with a special pass or something.

Yeah, I'd have been upset if she broke it. I wasn't happy as it is... but then after she shot the phone across the asphalt rather than apologizing, she went on a tangent about that is exactly why they have to check everything, because I could have had anything tucked in that pocket. I wasn't amused... :sad2:

You know... there are occasions a simple heartfelt apology would go a long way. This was one.

:sad2: I know. I thought I'd done better at communicating the importance.

You probably did, and it still wouldn't have mattered. Unless you've had the need for speed and got aced because you diddled around, it's lost.

The second try was better. I'll say this, I'm not a motion simulator or screen based ride fan for obvious reasons, but of the genre, this one is the most crisp picture, and best executed one I've been on. I can't say that it is my favorite because the subject matter just doesn't speak to me, but it is a very well done ride. If I had to pick 1 ride to do in AK though, I'm still picking Everest without hesitation.

Good! And good to know! Still excited for it. I wasn't a huge fan of the movie either, but I can stay from the pix I've seen of the area, it's really nicely detailed. And I too am a huge fan of EE; we'll see if this one surpasses.

I think there was a bit of a communication barrier was part of it. Her English wasn't the best, but I wish she had brought the bill while I was at the table so I could have pressed the issue a bit. I think dad just gave up and handed her his credit card so we could get out of there.

Yeah, might have helped to have someone willing to fight the good fight (in a nice way) in the ring. I don't blame your dad though. Sometimes it's just better to suck it up for the sake of time and hassle.

Tour with me. Never wait for a bus again.

I think that should sufficiently jinx my streak with busses now.
You're welcome. Hope you enjoy my suffering.

I haven't ridden the attractions yet, but I agree with you on the Pandora land. It's just...meh. I expected so much more for how long it took to open.
Sorry FOP made you sick, though! Yikes. I've heard that looking back and forth from the screen can make it worse, though. But when you've got a screaming kid, it's impossible not to do that. From your description of the vehicles and how it was a struggle to get your legs to fit, I'm afraid poor Alex is gonna be screwed. :rotfl2:

LG's face in that photo with Donald Duck is priceless. He's so expressive!

I can't believe the CM wouldn't split the bill for you all. Sounds like someone who was just being lazy and didn't want to go through the effort. But even if that were the case, it was a buffet. It wasn't like the person had to break down who ordered appetizers, who got which main course, etc etc. :confused3 Guess the AK heat was getting to them, too.

Your balcony pictures are great. You're really making me want to stay at AKL next trip with all those shots of the giraffes and descriptions of sunny afternoons. (But then you talk about the buses and that urge dies down a bit.:rotfl:)

I'll fit.
I didn't think you were quite as big as I am. Unless your pictures are just deceptive.

I wish there was some way he could hook us all up with a special pass or something.

You know... there are occasions a simple heartfelt apology would go a long way. This was one.

You probably did, and it still wouldn't have mattered. Unless you've had the need for speed and got aced because you diddled around, it's lost.
Exactly.

Good! And good to know! Still excited for it. I wasn't a huge fan of the movie either, but I can stay from the pix I've seen of the area, it's really nicely detailed. And I too am a huge fan of EE; we'll see if this one surpasses.
It definitely is a very nicely detailed area.

Yeah, might have helped to have someone willing to fight the good fight (in a nice way) in the ring. I don't blame your dad though. Sometimes it's just better to suck it up for the sake of time and hassle.
That's true.

Tour with me. Never wait for a bus again.

I think that should sufficiently jinx my streak with busses now.
You're welcome. Hope you enjoy my suffering.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I haven't ridden the attractions yet, but I agree with you on the Pandora land. It's just...meh. I expected so much more for how long it took to open.
Sorry FOP made you sick, though! Yikes. I've heard that looking back and forth from the screen can make it worse, though. But when you've got a screaming kid, it's impossible not to do that. From your description of the vehicles and how it was a struggle to get your legs to fit, I'm afraid poor Alex is gonna be screwed. :rotfl2:
He looks about my size? Not sure. Sometimes hard to tell from pictures. I wear 34 or 36 inseam depending on the pants so I don't have freakishly long legs or anything, but from my knee to my ankle is kind of long... I have trouble fitting my leg under normal tables, desks, etc sometimes. Also, my legs are thick. I typically have to buy jeans that are loose fit and with a waist 2 - 4 inches larger than what I need just to have enough room for my legs. He might be alright.

LG's face in that photo with Donald Duck is priceless. He's so expressive!
::yes:: He has some great faces.

I can't believe the CM wouldn't split the bill for you all. Sounds like someone who was just being lazy and didn't want to go through the effort. But even if that were the case, it was a buffet. It wasn't like the person had to break down who ordered appetizers, who got which main course, etc etc. :confused3 Guess the AK heat was getting to them, too.
I know. Seems pretty straight forward to me. I don't know that dad really pushed the issue much. I wish I had been there when she brought it.

Your balcony pictures are great. You're really making me want to stay at AKL next trip with all those shots of the giraffes and descriptions of sunny afternoons. (But then you talk about the buses and that urge dies down a bit.:rotfl:)
It definitely is a beautiful resort. We absolutely loved the pool and spent a lot of time there during our trip. But that bus service... yikes!

Chicken Nuggets and Fries and Ketchup

We had just finished swimming and the kids were getting a nice long nap back in the room. We had been out of the park for a few hours now and it was actually quickly approaching dinner time. We had FP+ scheduled for Dinosaur and then our dining package passes for Rivers of Light to use.

I was texting back and forth with mom. If my memory serves me correctly (no notes for what everyone else did) I believe that everyone stayed in AK all day long and dad returned to meet up with them after he got a nap and cooled off a bit.

We were going to meet up for dinner, but I was having a hard time getting the kids ready and out the door. Since I thought we were going to be pressed on time, I decided to get creative and use the Rider Swap system to our advantage. I changed the FP for Dinosaur for my family to Expedition Everest for about 45 minutes later than our Dino FPs. I figured with LG and Niece we’d grab a couple of Rider Swaps for each ride and we could use them later in the week.

I told mom they could just go ahead and eat if they wanted to, because I wasn’t sure how quickly we’d get there. She asked where we were planning to eat and I said Flame Tree. Because of course I’m eating at Flame Tree if I’m going to AK.

But then I remembered we had the kids with us.

Me: Hey guys, what do you want to eat for dinner?

DD: Chicken nuggets and fries and ketchup!

That’s DD… can’t leave ketchup out of that equation.

DS: Chicken nuggets and fries.

Me: Why do you want chicken nuggets and fries for every single meal?

DS: Because Disney has the best chicken nuggets ever!

At this point I figured going to Flame Tree was pointless. I don’t care if she got a nap… DD wanted nuggets, fries and ketchup and unless we wanted another meltdown that’s probably what we should get. I sent mom a text and told her the kids want nuggets so we were going to eat at Restaurantosaurus. We still weren’t out of the room yet, so I didn’t know how long we’d be. I told her to just go ahead and go to Flame Tree and eat and I reminded her what time they have FP for Dinosaur before telling her we’d text and meet up with them when we get to the park.

We headed downstairs and as we were walking towards the bus stops as we saw an Animal Kingdom bus leaving.

Crap.

Thankfully we were going to AK. I think we waited maybe 15 minutes for the next bus.

We arrived at the park and had a smoother experience with security this time through than we did that morning. As we were entering the park I sent a text to let Mom know we were there. She replied that they were at Restaurantosaurus and waiting for us. Instead of eating what they wanted, they decided to just sit and wait to eat with us. I kind of appreciated the gesture but at the same time, I was a little bit ticked off that they did that. Mom had been talking about wanting to go to Flame Tree all day and then didn’t because of our kids. Oh well…

We got to Restaurantosaurus and found everyone sitting outside on the porch area. It was starting to look like rain so we were able to kind of take over the left half of the porch as you face the entrance and we brought the strollers up with us. They’d been sitting and chatting for a while so once we arrived everyone just took turns going in to get food.

Honestly, it worked out great.

There was zero crowd in Restaurantosaurus.

We could walk in, go right to a register and order with no wait.

The kids enjoyed their nuggets. They had these annoying buckets that we got to carry around the rest of the evening and listen to them fight over which one belonged to whom.

Life was good.

I had a cheeseburger. It wasn’t my Flame Tree ribs. But I’ve always felt like Disney makes a pretty good burger so I enjoyed my meal. I’d have liked to have been able to eat more meals at places that serve things other than burgers and nuggets. But I do really enjoy their burgers so at least there’s that.

Niece found a fun game to play while we ate. Birds were landing on the railing near the table looking for a chance to steal some food. Niece put a fry on the table and then tried to grab the bird when it came to get the fry.

She never caught one, but not for lack of effort.

That girl loves her animals. Sis has a donkey that is tame as can be for Niece and she loves riding him.

She also used to have pet chickens.

Yes, BiL and Sis had some chickens and they'd use the eggs.

Niece would carry them around the yard and play with them like pets. She even took one swimming (nearly drowning it in her wading pool) once. When I saw Moana and her relationship with Hei Hei, I couldn’t help but think of Niece.

After we finished eating it was time to use those Dinosaur FPs. I told everyone what I did about re-arranging the FPs. The Rider Swap acquisition was a success and DW and I took the kids to wait while everyone else rode.

24438738598_b35705ac5b_k.jpg

When they got back, we quickly headed toward Everest to use those FPs. When we got there, a massive line was already forming for the Rivers of Light.

On our last trip, DS rode Everest, but ended up getting scared of the Yeti. We had talked to him about it and he knew what was going to happen and was ready to try it again. We warned DD repeatedly about what to expect. We told her that DS was scared of it when he rode it for the first time. As with every other ride so far, she wanted to try it.

She may look a little bit scared in the pictures, but she really enjoyed it, as did DS!

38277578182_cafd85fc27_k.jpg

In fact, she liked it so much that she wanted to ride again. We had enough time that Sis, Bil, Sis2 and the kids and I all took the Rider Swaps and went for another ride.

38308726611_89cd78c223_k.jpg

By the time we finished riding, we figured it was probably about time to find our way to the dining package seating for Rivers of Light. We walked over to the restrooms by the Nemo theater for a quick break before entering the seating area. We were there about 30 – 40 minutes before showtime and had plenty of seats available. We sat about halfway up on the far right side of the section. Basically, we were seated right in the middle of the “theater” for the show. Perfect seats.

The wait was a little bit rough. The kids were getting restless, especially DD and Niece. LG was getting restless too, but he caught the attention of a little girl sitting in front of us and her family. He ended up making some new friends, which probably made the wait pass a little bit faster for us and them.

We had a nice view of the lighting effects on the tree from where we sat. It was just a beautiful evening and a nice environment to enjoy as the sun went down and the sky darkened completely.

The show finally began and there is some photographic evidence that we actually saw it.

24438750048_eb168055fe_b.jpg

One picture. That’s it. Sis2 took it. I don’t think anybody else got any pictures. We all just enjoyed the show.

I was really impressed by it. It didn’t have any of our favorite familiar characters or songs from the movies. But it was a beautiful show and I really liked it. It might have helped that I didn’t have high expectations for it, but I’d watch it again. I don’t know that I’d stand in a huge standby line to watch it or waste FP for it, but I’ve become a big fan of dining packages for things like this. While I wasn’t wowed by our experience at Tusker House, it really isn’t a bad deal to get the kids an opportunity to see some characters and then have a great seat to see this show.

And the fact that there is actually a seat and I don’t have to stand probably helps this show get a little more love from me too.

After it ended, we had to make another stop at the restrooms nearby before joining the stream out of the parks. And wow… never have I seen the walkways in AK so crowded. It was crazy. We had a hard time just keeping everyone together. It reminded me of a busy night at MK near Casey’s Corner after Wishes.

It was still hot and muggy even after the sun went down and DW wanted to get some water. We decided to stop at Flame Tree on the way out to grab a few cups of ice water and a Sprite for dad.

That line took forever… They had all but a couple of the lines closed and although I didn't time it, I'd say it probably took a solid 15 minutes just to get a Sprite and a couple of cups of water. The good news though was that because it was so slow, they threw in literally a tray full of desserts too. Granted it was your basic counter service packaged desserts and not something I'd use a snack credit on anyway, but it certainly was a nice and appreciated gesture.

While DW and Mom were waiting in line, the rest of us were standing near the walkway watching a dance group across the way. I think DD and LG were asleep by this time so it was just a nice relaxing few minutes while the park cleared out some.

We headed out of the park and waited maybe about 5 minutes for a bus. It really wasn’t too bad and we were among the first ones on so most of our group got to sit. As usual, I just made a beeline for the open area in front of the back door to try to stand out of the way with the stroller.

After a nice day with no major meltdowns, we were able to get to bed at a time that wasn’t ridiculously late.

Which was good, because tomorrow would be an early morning and a long day.

Update may have been light on pictures, but "Baby with kitten" and the "Kids at the Seas" are both adorable additions!

Fair warning… this update is light on pictures. So here’s a baby with a kitten.

You’re welcome.

That's a bit of a pain about the wait to get into EPCOT, but it didn't seem to disrupt your plans too much- not as much as Test Track being down did :(

Wow, you were serious about needing a FP for Figment?!?

I'm glad you found a way to get chicken nuggets for the kids as well as what you wanted for lunch.

:goodvibes

Sounds like you did a great job killing time between lunch and your Frozen FP. Nice job braving the line for Test Track and the picture of the kids on the ride shows that it was worth it. Looks like they loved it!

Definitely worth rewarding yourselves with margaritas.

Your story about BIL and the leftover pizza next door brought back a memory from my waitressing days. I worked at a seafood restaurant and a family ordered the ginormous fisherman's platter and hardly put a dent in it. After the family left, a couple I was waiting on asked if they could have it. I think I told them I didn't care, but I wouldn't serve it to them.

Pick-a-pearl is a fun thing to do with the little ladies.

So sorry about the meltdowns you had to experience. And the horrendous bus experience when the park closed. I'm glad the Star Wars fireworks paid off, though! I love that show!

:chewy:

I hear your wife on Animal Kingdom- not my favorite park either. We spent a lot of time there on a recent trip, but mainly to check out the new things.

Pandora is cool, I'm impressed that you got to do the 2 star attractions without any wait so soon after they had opened.

The pictures of the kids at Tusker House are cute. I love the way LG is looking at Donald.

"What the duck?!?"

Great call bailing on AK with the family and going back to resort for some down time.

:lmao:on needing to purchase snacks after an all-you-care-to-eat brunch!

Relaxing out on the balcony watching animals while the family snoozes seems like the perfect way to relax!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter