Disney Golf Courses Discussion/Correction for Bawb

zulemara

<font color=royalblue>Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!<br
I did my college program at the Palm and Magnolia golf courses. I worked there from August 2004 to May 2005. I wanted to point out a quick correction about the cart paths. On most days, there are no restrictions on the course. You are allowed to take your caaaaahhhtt anywhere you'd like except of course the greens. You are required to stay on the path on par 3. If you were required to stay on the path, it's likely the course was wet for some reason or there was some other circumstance that required that restriction. I just visited the course in December when I was down there and people were in the fairways as usual. I just wanted to point this out so people don't think you're forced to walk everyday.

I don't remember exactly, but it's possible that for about a week prior to the Funai Classic, they will put a cart restriction to keep the course in great shape.

As far as length, the Palm was lengthened over the summer of 2004 and the Magnolia was lengthened over the summer of 2005. This is because the pros were hitting the ball further each year and it wasn't as challenging as they wanted the courses to be.

As for wildlife, it's really an amazing thing. I"ll never forget when play on the 17th of the mag was stopped due to gators literally mating on the green. Talk about a bad day to be a ranger, but most people laughed when I told them.

I'm really glad you emphasize the play time for the courses. We had someone come off the course in 3 hours and complain that play was too slow. I don't think I need to say anything else about what we were all thinking.

I personally do not golf. I have golfed once in my life and it was a cast member scramble before the Palm opened to the public after being refurbished or something like that(not when it was lenghtened) I played off the front tees with no shame at all. It is so much more important to have fun and keep play moving. I played like crap but had a great time doing it. Needless to say when we visited in December, my bf and I went mini golfing =P

Still listening to the podcast...you can ride along in the cart for a 25 dollar rider fee. You used to be able to call the cart girl from your GPS at Eagle/Osprey but I'm not sure if that feature is still available.

The walking course is the Oak Trail golf course that's only 9 holes

The one by ft wilderness is eagle pines/osprey ridge. The sandtrap is an excellent restaurant! great food! The course by DTD is Lake Buena Vista.

I could easily list all my pet peeves of guests at the golf courses, but I won't bore everyone. All I can say is to please remember courtesy. I think that's a general rule for everyone at WDW. I noticed a severe lack of COMMON courtesy when I was there in December.

I hope this info is helpful and if anyone has any questions just let me know!

Just wanted to add to the great information above. We have done 2 WDW golfing vacations, and if planned right, they can be reasonably priced and a lot of fun!

We are DVC members, so took advantage of the availability of a DVC Golf Membership card. This costs $50 plus tax, and lasts for one year. You can get discounted greens fees for you and up to 3 others golfing with you. There are restrictions on tee times (after 10am) but the fees are reduced significantly. Fees are $35 pp during value season (end of April through September), $50 during fall (October to mid-January), and $89 for Peak season (mid-Jan through late April). These prices include your cart, and other extras like the Disney resort transportation that Bob mentioned.

We played in June and the following May (to stay within the 12 months). We booked ahead so that our tee times were as close to 10am as we could get. We were back at the resort and enjoying blender drinks on the veranda by 3pm each day.

The Disney golf course employees were THE BEST castmembers I have encountered in my many visits to WDW. We were pretty novice golfers, but they always made us feel like it was important to keep us happy. We are very conscious about speed of play, but really enjoyed our rounds. A highlight was when I was selected to pick the hole location on the 18th green at the Palm course.

In summary, there are ways to get discounts on the Disney courses, so don't be put off by Bob saying they cost $150 per round. The Disney golf courses are all wonderful, and the employees outstanding!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it and have such positive things to say about the golf cast members. Disney's 99 holes of golf brings in a lot of revenue and it expands every year. When I go back on the college program I plan on going back into golf and actually learning how to play :-) This time around I'll be more interested in developing my skills in life instead of partying hehe

Also, dont forget the Lake Buena Vista course. Wonderful holes meandering through the Old Key West DVC Resort. The front nine winds through the resort, while the back nine veers off into the forest back behind Port Orleans...

And getting back to Eagle / Osprey... To the best of my knowledge, based solely on the fact that we tried to play Eagle Pines this past summer; Eagle Pines is no longer taking bookings, and is being leveled as part of the 4 Seasons Expansion. Boooo. At least Osprey Ridge will stay...

A grain of salt should be consumed with this post, please. Just sharing what I learned last time, and things tend to change quickly at WDW.

Thanks,
ExBellhop

Best Ball...
While I was listening, I wanted to jump in and say that Best Ball is a very popluar way to play. Especially for tournaments. It makes it more enjoyable and moves things along faster.
AND $150 isn't THAT unusual for fees, but it's not one of those courses that you play every Friday! lol. Just special occasions!

Best Ball...
While I was listening, I wanted to jump in and say that Best Ball is a very popluar way to play. Especially for tournaments. It makes it more enjoyable and moves things along faster.
AND $150 isn't THAT unusual for fees, but it's not one of those courses that you play every Friday! lol. Just special occasions!

Also referred to scramble format :-)

I want to play a round of Golf with Bawb!!! His rules are exactly like the rules that my Dad and his friends and I play by!! If you don't like your tee shot-take another one! If you don't like your lie-move the ball!

I want to play a round of Golf with Bawb!!! His rules are exactly like the rules that my Dad and his friends and I play by!! If you don't like your tee shot-take another one! If you don't like your lie-move the ball!

yeah it's the only way I play too. If it's within a putter range of the hole, I count it and if I get beyond 5 shots I just say screw it and place it on the green. I really should try using the Tee in the fairway! My problem is I can never get the ball off the ground

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter