Disney Gift Cards

ErinBoBerin

Never grow up
Hey all,

We're popping down to the world for the first time in 10 years in Jan, and we want to pre-pay for as much as possible. We were hoping to get a few big Disney gift cards (for food and merch, hotel is pre-payed) so we don't have to put much our visas. But when I went to get them online, they wouldn't ship to Canada.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows where we can get gift cards that can be loaded up with a lot? I saw some $100 ones at London Drugs, so maybe I'll just get a few of those, or is prepaid visa the way to go?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated!

There's a fair bit of discussion about this in a few threads that I'll give you the link the the most active one but to sum it up for you:
  • LOTS of stores have the loadable cards that you can pick up -- if you let us know which part of the country you're in exactly someone might tell you which stores.
  • You can no longer add those to the online card site so that you can have up to $1000 per card
  • You can call at any point and have the cards applied to your balance and they will convert at the previous business day's exchange rate
  • You can use the cards anywhere on site (might need to ask for a manager at resorts)
Canadian Disney Gift Cards
That one is long but the last post was made yesterday so the info is up-to-date

You can no longer add those to the online card site so that you can have up to $1000 per card
Confusing? I've just added a card loaded with $200 cad to my account on the gift card site. Did you mean the U.S. $ cards can no longer be added?

Confusing? I've just added a card loaded with $200 cad to my account on the gift card site. Did you mean the U.S. $ cards can no longer be added?

Sorry, my bad!! I was referring to the fact that as of last week you couldn't add them to an existing U.S. fund gift card. That might have changed since then though ...

The easiest way is to load up a gift card at Shoppers and they will charge you the day prior's exchange rate. I went online to see what the exchange rate was, converted what my DVC dues would be in CDN, added that amount to a Gift Card at Shoppers and paid my dues. I got the exact same rate as I had found online - no additional bank % or foreign transaction %. You can load up to $500 on the cards at Shoppers, and can then combine them up to $1000 on Disney's card website.

There's a fair bit of discussion about this in a few threads that I'll give you the link the the most active one but to sum it up for you:
  • LOTS of stores have the loadable cards that you can pick up -- if you let us know which part of the country you're in exactly someone might tell you which stores.
  • You can no longer add those to the online card site so that you can have up to $1000 per card
  • You can call at any point and have the cards applied to your balance and they will convert at the previous business day's exchange rate
  • You can use the cards anywhere on site (might need to ask for a manager at resorts)
Canadian Disney Gift Cards
That one is long but the last post was made yesterday so the info is up-to-date

Thank you!!

Hey all,

We're popping down to the world for the first time in 10 years in Jan, and we want to pre-pay for as much as possible. We were hoping to get a few big Disney gift cards (for food and merch, hotel is pre-payed) so we don't have to put much our visas. But when I went to get them online, they wouldn't ship to Canada.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows where we can get gift cards that can be loaded up with a lot? I saw some $100 ones at London Drugs, so maybe I'll just get a few of those, or is prepaid visa the way to go?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated!
I see you’re from Vancouver. The Canadian Tire in Prince George has the loadable ones, up to $500 I think. (Maybe one near you might too because it’s still BC?) I live an hour away though so I’ve mostly just been buying the $50 ones from our Independant Grocer and consolidating them online. The gift cards worked great for our WDW trip in March so I’m using them again next month in DLR.

Can you help me understand....

If I use my credit card to buy a 100$ gift card...how does this help me?
I get points on my cc ....
But a 100 giftcard is 100 dollars.
Am I missing something?
What's the difference between paying with my credit card?

Am I missing something?

The difference is the exchange rate that you get when you use the Disney Gift Card vs. exchanging money at the bank or using your CAD credit card in the USA. The Disney Gift card converts to USD at the closing mid-market rate from the previous day with no foreign exchange fee. When you're spending $1000s for your vacation, the savings from the extra fees charged by your credit card can add up to hundreds of dollars.

Am I missing something?
Unknown exchange rate and credit card fraud in the US is much more rampant. I try not to use my credit card in the US. Only time I had unauthorized use on my card was from a trip to the us. They still use swipe and sign, some are JUST now moving to CHIP and PIN or TAP technology. You still hand your Credit card to a server to swipe at machine in the back. Very few have portable machines

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter