Disney gift card discounts

DeeCee735

"How Do You Know of the Key?"
Does Costco or target still offer discounts on disney gift cards?

Thanks,
Dee

I don't believe Costco offers Disney Gift cards - at least my local store doesn't carry them, and they don't appear on the Costco website. However, my wife and I have recently been buying Disney gift cards (for our upcoming trip) at Target using our Target Red Card, and I can report that doing so does still get you 5% off.

Thank you. My daughter just told me BJ’s has them at 6% off. I’ll go there

We buy ours at Target for 5% off with our RedCard. Sam's offers then at 3-4% off depending on the amount in the package.

Isn't the Target 10% sale this Sunday, 12/08?
Target changed their policy last year, and they no longer allow you to use Target gift cards to buy other gift cards, so buying discounted Target gift cards no longer lets you get extra-discounted Disney gift cards.

Target changed their policy last year, and they no longer allow you to use Target gift cards to buy other gift cards, so buying discounted Target gift cards no longer lets you get extra-discounted Disney gift cards.
People here are using their Red Cards to buy Disney Gift Cards on the sale day and getting 10% back, instead of the usual 5%. Lots of people save up for the sale day to buy enough gift cards to cover an on site hotel stay or all their park tickets. I did not tell people to use Target gift cards to buy other gift cards. DISers who follow the Budget Board here know that that horse has been beaten to glue for a long, long time. There was an article on Yahoo which stated that the sale would allow Red Card customers to buy non-Target gift cards, so I assume that Disney Gift Cards would be included. (Of course, who knows where Yahoo gets their information, but the article was posted yesterday, so I would hope that the info was current.) I would, at least, try to see if one non-Target gift card would work -- just to test Yahoo's accuracy. On the off chance that their reporter actually found a good tip, it could pay off.

Last edited:
I did not tell people to use Target gift cards to buy other gift cards.
The sale ad you posted only mentions Target gift cards. Also, the fine print of the ad explicitly excludes "gift cards issued by other retailers such as dining, lifestyle, and entertaining gift cards."

People here are using their Red Cards to buy Disney Gift Cards on the sale day and getting 10% back, instead of the usual 5%.
That's great if it works; however, I can't seem to find any posts from people saying that it worked for them. Do you have links to any posts confirming that it does work?

Lots of people save up for the sale day to buy enough gift cards to cover an on site hotel stay or all their park tickets.
Even if the 10% applies to non-Target gift cards, the terms of the sale state that the discount is only good on up to $300 worth of gift cards per household, so that's certainly not enough to cover hotel or park tickets, unless they're only going for one day.

There was an article on Yahoo which stated that the sale would allow Red Card customers to buy non-Target gift cards
Do you have a link to the article? The only articles I found on Yahoo just mention Target gift cards.

I would, at least, try to see if one non-Target gift card would work -- just to test Yahoo's accuracy. On the off chance that their reporter actually found a good tip, it could pay off.
Yes; it's certainly worth a try - as long as people try it out (as you suggested) with just one card in a smaller amount first and only buy more once they know the discount actually does work. I'd hate for people to buy large amounts of gift cards expecting a 10% discount only to find out there isn't one.

All of the sale details and terms from Target itself say it's only Target gift cards, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but we're currently stocking up for our next trip anyway, so I'll give it a try on Sunday and report back here with my findings.

... Do you have a link to the article? The only articles I found on Yahoo just mention Target gift cards.

Yes; it's certainly worth a try - as long as people try it out (as you suggested) with just one card in a smaller amount first and only buy more once they know the discount actually does work. I'd hate for people to buy large amounts of gift cards expecting a 10% discount only to find out there isn't one.

All of the sale details and terms from Target itself say it's only Target gift cards, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but we're currently stocking up for our next trip anyway, so I'll give it a try on Sunday and report back here with my findings.
I've been searching for that article, but can't find it -- so I'm wondering if Yahoo took it down -- probably because of this very issue.
Some posters have tried running a "dummy transaction" with just one gift card with varied results -- some transactions go through and others (most, it seems) don't. But for the few that go through -- great! So sometimes it can be worth just trying once to see what happens. Totally agree about not going for large amounts without being absolutely sure first. Someone did that last year and got stuck with a very large amount of Target gift cards. I think the solution was to use those gift cards for regular Target shopping trips throughout the year and to use what would have been spent on Disney Gift Cards. So that family was able to save up gift cards anyway with a little bit of savings on groceries, etc. in the long run. Target is putting more and more fine print out there, but we do read about gaps in the system where people are still able to make these transactions. Getting fewer and farther between, but worth at least trying to see if you can get lucky. And, as you say, realistically expecting for it not to happen, but willing to try at least once. Friends who work for Target agree that the loopholes in the system are getting very rare, but that there probably are a few still out there. So maybe someone here will be one of the lucky ones?
And for DLR trips, there is a Target about a mile south of the parks. So some posters here get a few Target gift cards just to cover groceries, less expensive souvenirs, and any other needs while they are on a DLR vacation. That can be help with some savings, too.

Last edited:
I know other threads have mentioned this too but if you have a Discover card, Target is one of this quarter's 5% merchants. I plan to use that to get the $300 in Target gift cards and I'll still get 13.50 in rewards on my discover card (which goes right to our DisFund) so I'll be paying 256.50 for $300 worth of target cards.

I've been searching for that article, but can't find it -- so I'm wondering if Yahoo took it down -- probably because of this very issue.
Some posters have tried running a "dummy transaction" with just one gift card with varied results -- some transactions go through and others (most, it seems) don't. But for the few that go through -- great! So sometimes it can be worth just trying once to see what happens. Totally agree about not going for large amounts without being absolutely sure first. Someone did that last year and got stuck with a very large amount of Target gift cards. I think the solution was to use those gift cards for regular Target shopping trips throughout the year and to use what would have been spent on Disney Gift Cards. So that family was able to save up gift cards anyway with a little bit of savings on groceries, etc. in the long run. Target is putting more and more fine print out there, but we do read about gaps in the system where people are still able to make these transactions. Getting fewer and farther between, but worth at least trying to see if you can get lucky. And, as you say, realistically expecting for it not to happen, but willing to try at least once. Friends who work for Target agree that the loopholes in the system are getting very rare, but that there probably are a few still out there. So maybe someone here will be one of the lucky ones?
And for DLR trips, there is a Target about a mile south of the parks. So some posters here get a few Target gift cards just to cover groceries, less expensive souvenirs, and any other needs while they are on a DLR vacation. That can be help with some savings, too.
Ah, ok; sounds like a "luck of the draw" kind of thing. Unfortunately, Target definitely restricts the gift card sale more and more every year.

At least worth a try, though. If you're careful and don't over-buy, the worst that could happen is you get 5% off which, based on the posts in this thread so far, sounds like the best deal going at the moment.

Back from Target, but unfortunately, I only got the normal 5% REDcard discount on the Disney gift card. I did notice that there was a separate week-long sale (starting today) for 10% off video game gift cards which may add to the confusion over whether non-Target gift cards are also 10% off.

I'll be interested to see the reports from others.

Can you get the Target 5% discount if you are buying online. I don't have a Target near me.

Can you get the Target 5% discount if you are buying online. I don't have a Target near me.

Do you have a Target REDcard? If so, then yes, you will get the 5% discount when you use it to purchase Disney gift cards (or anything else for that matter that's not excluded from the REDcard discount) at Target.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter