Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any luck using a Walgreens Gift Card to buy a Disney gift card in the store?

Walgreens data point: I had a partially used Walgreens gift card from last summer when I was converting them to Disney for my Oct 2016 trip. At the time, between the 4 stores I was visiting in the far west suburbs of Chicago, 2 of them would allow me to use Walgreens gift cards to buy Disney gift cards. I thought I'd try to use up the rest of the gift card and buy Disney yesterday. I brought a $50 Disney gift card and a few cosmetic items to the counter. The cashier rang them up while I chit chatted about the rewards program to keep her mind occupied. I quickly swiped the gift card, knowing that it would not cover the total of the purchase (the gift card only have $37 on it). The system took the card and then I quickly inserted a CC to pay the remainder. After the transaction was complete, the cashier asked if I had used a Walgreens gift card. I said yes. She said, "Huh, I'm surprised the system took it!" And I innocently said, "Why? Is it not supposed to? She replied, "No, you're not allowed to use Walgreens gift cards to buy other gift cards."

So, Walgreens is definitely becoming more and more YMMV. This was the most gift card churning friendly Walgreens in my area last summer and now seems to be dead, although the system will allow it. I would recommend not pursuing Walgreens GCs anymore, but go ahead and give it a try if you already have one that you need to burn.

After the transaction was complete, the cashier asked if I had used a Walgreens gift card. I said yes. She said, "Huh, I'm surprised the system took it!" And I innocently said, "Why? Is it not supposed to? She replied, "No, you're not allowed to use Walgreens gift cards to buy other gift cards."

So, Walgreens is definitely becoming more and more YMMV. This was the most gift card churning friendly Walgreens in my area last summer and now seems to be dead, although the system will allow it. I would recommend not pursuing Walgreens GCs anymore, but go ahead and give it a try if you already have one that you need to burn.

At a lot of stores, not just Walgreens, the the cashiers are told that you can't use a INSERT STORE NAME HERE GC to buy our own stores GC's. They take it to mean you can't buy any GC's using the store GC and will tell you that before you even have a chance to swipes the card if they see you with a store GC. I posted a while back that I went to use a BB GC to buy Disney GC's and the cashier told me he didn't think it would work as you could not use GC's to buy a GC. I told him that I had done it before and it should work as the system allowed it (little white lie as I had not but had read here it could be done) and he ran the BB GC and of course it went through. He said something like that was good to know it worked. I mentioned to him that using BB GC's to buy BB GC's was not allowed. Went back a couple days with another BB GC and did it again and had the same cashier and he didn't bat an eye. Couple days later went in with another GC had a different cashier and she didn't say a word. At any store if I had an issue that they told me it didn't work I would nicely ask them to try and see if the system allows it and hope they at least tried to run the purchase. It's like Target where if you ask if the 5% off will work they always seem to say no, but of course we all know it does so it's best to keep quiet until you pull your card out to pay. Earlier this week the look on the cashiers face when she gave me the new amount after sliding the card was priceless.

Thanks for this! I had deleted the email and pulled it out when I saw your post. $5 off and Red card discount! Easy and quick! :)

I'm glad you caught it! I typically delete ad emails too, but I'm now keeping an eye out for stuff like this.

I forgot to mention that Ebates credited for this too, so it was more of a 15% discount.

When I tried to use my reward certificates the cashier scanned them but the system would not accept them for Disney gift cards. She tried 3 times but they would not work.

Were you, by chance, trying to use Reward Certs and Gift Cards at the same time? The last time I was in there I was doing that and I had my Reward Cert mixed in with my GCs, the cashier canceled it out and started over explaining to me that the Reward Cert needed to be scanned first or it wouldn't work.

Were you, by chance, trying to use Reward Certs and Gift Cards at the same time? The last time I was in there I was doing that and I had my Reward Cert mixed in with my GCs, the cashier canceled it out and started over explaining to me that the Reward Cert needed to be scanned first or it wouldn't work.

That’s exactly what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I gave the cashier one physical gift card, three e-gift cards and then the reward certificate. As soon as he saw the reward certificate he knew it wouldn’t scan unless he scanned it first so he started over. No problem after that.

Huh, now that you're mentioning it, I recall a cashier reshuffling mine a few weeks ago when I used them. We bought all new appliances for our kitchen and earned a lot of rewards, which I promptly cashed in. I had one of those Cashstar cards from the last promo so I combined them and it was on top. When I handed them over, he reshuffled them. I didn't think much of it at the time (beyond noting that it was sort of odd that he decided to do that). I sort of remember the cashier because he remarked on my oddly specific amount I wanted put on and I said, "Oh, I have these." He proceeded to chat me up, saying "Going on vacation?" Then later, I recall that on the receipt when I looked it it, it said "you saved $60!" so apparently it treats them more like coupons than payment methods, so I think that's why they go first.

At a lot of stores, not just Walgreens, the the cashiers are told that you can't use a INSERT STORE NAME HERE GC to buy our own stores GC's. They take it to mean you can't buy any GC's using the store GC and will tell you that before you even have a chance to swipes the card if they see you with a store GC. I posted a while back that I went to use a BB GC to buy Disney GC's and the cashier told me he didn't think it would work as you could not use GC's to buy a GC. I told him that I had done it before and it should work as the system allowed it (little white lie as I had not but had read here it could be done) and he ran the BB GC and of course it went through. He said something like that was good to know it worked. I mentioned to him that using BB GC's to buy BB GC's was not allowed. Went back a couple days with another BB GC and did it again and had the same cashier and he didn't bat an eye. Couple days later went in with another GC had a different cashier and she didn't say a word. At any store if I had an issue that they told me it didn't work I would nicely ask them to try and see if the system allows it and hope they at least tried to run the purchase. It's like Target where if you ask if the 5% off will work they always seem to say no, but of course we all know it does so it's best to keep quiet until you pull your card out to pay. Earlier this week the look on the cashiers face when she gave me the new amount after sliding the card was priceless.

Whether their system allows it or not, some businesses do have local policies to not allow store gift card to 3rd party gift card purchases such as Disney no matter how nicely you ask them to try it because their system does allow it. It requires a battle of going way over the store's and sometimes district's head to get this corrected, if it even can be corrected. Some stores are really over zealous about it.

It is super, super annoying and frustrating. Employees will make up all kinds of BS to justify their point. I had one Target employee try to tell me that their system allows all kinds of transactions it shouldn't by automatically overriding the system with no user input. I don't think that employee realized how dumb they sounded by saying that.

Huh, now that you're mentioning it, I recall a cashier reshuffling mine a few weeks ago when I used them. We bought all new appliances for our kitchen and earned a lot of rewards, which I promptly cashed in. I had one of those Cashstar cards from the last promo so I combined them and it was on top. When I handed them over, he reshuffled them. I didn't think much of it at the time (beyond noting that it was sort of odd that he decided to do that). I sort of remember the cashier because he remarked on my oddly specific amount I wanted put on and I said, "Oh, I have these." He proceeded to chat me up, saying "Going on vacation?" Then later, I recall that on the receipt when I looked it it, it said "you saved $60!" so apparently it treats them more like coupons than payment methods, so I think that's why they go first.

Exactly this. I reread the BB rewards terms and it says "Reward certificates are coupons for discounts off future purchases at Participating Properties and may be redeemed only for a discount off purchase amounts equal to or greater than the sum of the reward certificate(s) presented for redemption, excluding "Non-Qualifying Redemptions" (see below)." (all emphasis mine)

So you give the reward certificate as they ring up the transaction just like any other coupon, and then hand over the gift cards for payment at the end. Found that out when I did it a couple months ago when I didn't realize I had my reward in the middle of the gift cards. Cashier had to cancel the transaction, start over and I forgot to scan my shopkicks number on the 2nd time so I missed all my shopkicks for that purchase. Engrained in my brain now :)

Yes I used the cashstar gift cards and she used them first. Thanks for the tip.

For those with a meijer check your mperks under coupons. I noticed while I was checking for things on my grocery list they had $10 off a best buy card worth $100 or more. It's good until 9/30

Ebates is having 12% cashback today only! I saw travelocity, but it says not on activities,which I guess tickets fall into that category...anyone see anything useful here for Disney?

Ebates is having 12% cashback today only! I saw travelocity, but it says not on activities,which I guess tickets fall into that category...anyone see anything useful here for Disney?
Etsy could be a good one if you're looking for custom shirts/ears. I know Am Ex had an offer for $15 back for spending $50 that's supposed to be expiring soon. I'm not sure the exact date as I did that offer last week.

Etsy could be a good one if you're looking for custom shirts/ears. I know Am Ex had an offer for $15 back for spending $50 that's supposed to be expiring soon. I'm not sure the exact date as I did that offer last week.
Ugh... that amex offer:sick: I rarely buy from Etsy, and I purchsed a $75 item,and forgot to use it!!!!!

I've been getting targeted coupons in email ads from Target for $5 off a $50 purchase (see photo). The terms state that it's only valid online and not valid on Target gift cards and specialty gift cards, but I've been successful at applying the coupon along with my RedCard discount (14.5% off in total) to Disney gift cards. I received the first coupon offer at the beginning of this past July and applied it to a $50 physical Disney gift card. I received a second offer on the 17th of this month and applied it to a Disney egift card. Since this is the second time around that they've sent me an online coupon that has successfully been used for Disney gift cards, I thought I'd share. I'm now more vigilant about checking Target emails before deleting them.

Targeted Offer:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nSDHV63xLEpIaqxB2

Fine print:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJRpGxXFZoaXQEbC2

ETA: I forgot to mention that Ebates credited for this so it was actually a 15% discount in total.

I swear I tried to use one of these a year or more ago and it was a no go. I am so excited to see it works. I have 3 in my inbox because I've been doing a lot of online browsing at Target for DS's birthday. I get them all the time for "stuff I left behind in my cart".
I just did it with a $50 e-giftcard.
I don't even have a trip planned. We aren't planning to go back for 2 years. So my rule right now is anything over 15% and convenient I can do to start building my stash.

I was just getting on here to say, I got an awesome deal on some Etsy items today. Ebates is doing 12% CB...just combined that with my amex offer of $15 back on $50. Great deal!

I swear I tried to use one of these a year or more ago and it was a no go. I am so excited to see it works. I have 3 in my inbox because I've been doing a lot of online browsing at Target for DS's birthday. I get them all the time for "stuff I left behind in my cart".
I don't even have a trip planned. We aren't planning to go back for 2 years. So my rule right now is anything over 15% and convenient I can do to start building my stash.

I'm glad it works for you now. I didn't make the connection that I've been getting them for leaving stuff in my cart, but this makes a lot of sense now. That's a good strategy for building your stash.

My husband just got an email promo code from Target for $5 off $50 for "stuff in his cart" and I used it for a $50 Disney gift card.

It specifically said not for Target or specialty gift cards, but I figured I'd try it anyway and it worked! So I saved $5 plus 5% for paying with my Red Card. I saved $7.25. Got it for $42.75 total.

I was just getting on here to say, I got an awesome deal on some Etsy items today. Ebates is doing 12% CB...just combined that with my amex offer of $15 back on $50. Great deal!
Oh man, I should have known to check here first. I literally just placed an order for a Sally dress for my daughter. She wants to be Sally for Halloween and I figured I'd get something she could also wear for our November trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!