Disney + Fox = Bye, bye Springfield?

Spike101

Affable gay geek
I was wondering now that the merging of 20th Century Fox with Disney has gone through, will Disney call times up on all things Simpsons at Universal?

I know that Marvel Super Hero island (And its resident characters) is safe at IOA as long as Universal keep it as it is and in fine working order, but wonder what kind of deal they have with Fox regarding Springfield?

Now I loved Springfield, its cute, but I dont think I'd miss it terribly if it were to go anytime soon, theres not a great deal there to be honest, and as far as The Simpsons Ride is concerned, I for one would love to see The Back to the Future ride come back to its original home, an opinion I've read and heard many, many times.

Worth noting that until I'd been on Forbidden Journey, the BTTF ride was my number one ride ever as I did it at Universal Hollywood many years ago.

Anyhoo if anyone knows anything, heard any rumours, or indeed has any thoughts on Springfields future, do please share.

Spike

xxx

I don't see it as a big deal I don't imagine the loss would affect attendance.

As you mention, the area is small to begin with. Rename a couple of stores, get a new movie for the ride, boom, no problem.

Frankly, I would like to see something new in that area anyway.

We love the Simpsons ride! I remember the first time we went soon after it opened we rode it 4 times in a row! Theming of area is so cute too.

Although it has struck me that The Simpsons in general wouldnt be a good fit at Disney anyway, so maybe they'll leave it be, and the bean counters at Universal are hoping thats how it stays at least until their new park is open.

I love the Simpson ride! But if Back to the Future would come back, that'll be awesome! Take down Fast&Furious instead, heheh.

Springfield is nice to walk through-the music, the bright colours; I enjoy sitting at the waterfront behind Duff's with a beer and Lard Lad donut.

I believe if it was an issue there would have been discussion, or plans for some time. Considering how quiet they have been with what's replacing T2 it's possible they've been talking about it for who knows how long. It's official now, but it's been in talks that Disney was buying Fox for well over a year. So, if it is an issue there's no telling what they have been planning.

However, a contract is a contract and unfortunately, I do not know what the contract entails (but I know eventually we were able to get Marvel's contract).

We do not know what was agreed upon between Universal and Fox in order to obtain the Simpsons. It could either be like Marvel, where Universal can have those properties to use in their theme parks indefinitely, or it could be like Disney's contract with MGM where it was agreed to have their properties for a certain disclosed amount of time and when it was time to renewal, it didn't happen, so Disney had to drop the name once the contract was over. However, still obtained the properties in the Great Movie Ride for quite sometime before getting rid of that ride.

While I'd love for BTTF to come back as I am a massive fan of the films and ride, there's no way Universal would go back in time, they would go back to the future. *ba dum tss*

It's tough to say. There are 2 key factors.

1. How long does the existing rights contract with Fox go for that allows Universal to use The Simpsons? The Marvel one is in perpetuity but I doubt the one for The Simpsons is. So it will like expire sometime. When that is, I have no clue (I've tried googling for any info about it but there doesn't seem to be any out there).
2. When it does expire, how badly does Disney want the IP back for Theme Park rights?

#2 is kind of interesting. If Disney wants it back after the contract expires then it can just likely decide to not renew the contract and take it back. But if Disney doesn't plan on doing anything with it in their own parks, they might just decide to extend/renew the contract so they'd keep getting money from it.

But Perhaps say the contract/agreement still runs another 10 years. And say by that time Simpson's has long since been gone from TV, Universal by then may just decide they want to move on from it anyway and re-purpose the land for something else.

Lots of potential factors. Who knows.

I can't imagine Disney using the Simpsons at any of their parks, that just seems really out of place. I could imagine a scenario where the contract comes up for renewal and Disney would rather license it to Universal than cancel it just to spite them. I think the Simpsons area is great but I don't think Disney's losing any business because of it.

I think I read the contract is good until 2028.

The Simpsons and Disney is a VERY odd fit as Matt Groening has never made it subtle that he is not much of a fan of Disney parks. I expect the show will probably be cancelled soon and we'll see something new by 2028 in that area.

American Horror Story & Rocky Horror Show likely officially DOA for future HHNs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!