Disney Fantasy Servers

ajgardner

DIS Veteran
This will be our 5th cruise on April 21, 2018. On our first cruise we had great wait staff for our dinners - jokes, entertaining, always had our drinks ready, magic, etc..., the second cruise the servers were fun but not quite as involved (still fine though), our third cruise they were extremely professional and did a wonderful job at serving us food and making sure we had what we needed - but no jokes, no magic, no entertainment fun factor. Last year I came on here to get some ideas of server names because I did not want to have that again - my kids are a little older (12 and almost 17) but we are all really big kids at heart and absolutely love all that fun stuff. In the end we decided to just go with the flow and not request any servers - figuring that it was just a fluke that we got "non-fun" ones that time before. Well, we had an even worse experience on that 4th cruise. The servers barely even cracked a smile, never greeted us by name, sometimes had to wait 10-15 minutes to request a refill of a drink...not terrible service, but not great either and definitely zero fun factor. It was disappointing. So....my questions:
1. Do you think because of my kids' age that they give us less of the "entertainer" type servers or do the servers "lessen" their entertainment factor because of the kids are older?
2. Do you think if we just made a request about wanting to have "entertaining servers" would make any sense to Disney or would we need to request specific people?
3. Do you know of any great, fun, entertaining servers that are currently on the Fantasy?

Any suggestions or help would be welcomed! If we got servers like the ones from last time we would be quite disappointed.

Well I think it might just be a bad luck of the draw. We sailed last May and it was three adults and our servers were engaging and pleasant, but not over the top. They did riddles and magic tricks, occasionally--when they had time, and they called us "family." We don't like the over-the-top type, so this was fine with us. The time before in 2015 we had four adults and we had bare minimum interaction with our servers. So in answer to your questions:
I don't think it matters the age, I think it is highly dependent on the servers personality--or lack thereof.
I think you would be better off requesting specific servers then trying to have Disney interpret what you mean by "entertainer type." Keep in mind though that, while Disney will do their best to honor requests, they don't guarantee anything. I am sure people here can give you many suggestions on good ones. Keep in mind on this though, they may be entertaining for one family, and not so much for another.
I wish I could help you on your 3rd question, our servers were nice and like I said, they did do riddles and magic tricks, but I wouldn't call them "fun, or entertaining." LOL We liked them a lot and they suited our table make up.
HTH.

It can also depend on the other tables in your section and how demanding they are. When I took my parents on the Magic last year, I could tell that our servers were both really great people and servers - but they were not always as attentive as others have been. Well, our last night I got to see why as I was seated so that I could see a huge table (looked like a couple of tables combined) of some of the most demanding people I've ever seen. The adults would all order alcoholic drinks one or two at a time. I watched on three occasions as our assistant server would be summoned for more drinks for one or two people, he would ask others whose drinks were getting low if they wanted another and they would say "No, we're fine", but as soon as he brought the two back...you guessed it. "Oh. I do want another, please." And repeat ad nauseam. Once the adults were all settled with their beverages, the kids started in with the ketchup. One of the male children in particular would dip a fry into the ketchup Mickey head and then whine that his ketchup wasn't Mickey shaped anymore until one of the servers would go and "refresh" the ketchup Mickey head.

FINALLY the head server figured out what was going on and jumped in...but by then it was kind of too late. We got our meal, but had to rush and my dad ended up skipping dessert so that we could get our luggage out in time for collection as we were all on Onboard Airline Check-In.

It had not been that bad the other nights, and I think that table was taking advantage of our server being sick so we had a sub. Clearly Aditya (our server) kept some of those antics in check the other nights of the cruise.

We have been on 3 cruises and I think the servers on the Fantasy were our favorite and most memorable. Our last trip I could feel a vibe every so often that the servers were not having a good night but they still tried their hardest to make it fun and entertaining. I agree with MickeyD says, I think it's luck of draw.

We had the same server for our 2014 and 2016 cruises, this year he isn't with DCL anymore so he recommended one of his friends and he was amazing - Sayo from Turkey. So much fun, and we had a difficult table in our group, we still felt attended to - we'll be asking for him again if he's still on the ship for our next cruise :)

Ningreishang (“Ashang”) Kangoo. Hardest-working man in showbiz.

But @Dug720 makes an excellent point: if one of your server’s other tables requires extra attention, or if they are just being a PITA, your server’s not going to have the same amount of time and breathing room to make with the crayon brain teasers, magic tricks or origami. Those are situations where the head server really does need to step in.

And some servers just don’t have a gregarious personality, which is totally fine, so long as they get all the other things right.

All that having been said, I don’t think it could hurt to email guest relations, give them your name and cruise details, and politely ask to be assigned a server that tends to be on the “lively” side.

Or, you could just ask for Ashang. :teeth:

For your first question I will say I don't think it is your kids age. My family of adults went on on Fanatasy a couple weeks ago and the servers were very entertaining and played games with us.

Ningreishang (“Ashang”) Kangoo. Hardest-working man in showbiz.

But @Dug720 makes an excellent point: if one of your server’s other tables requires extra attention, or if they are just being a PITA, your server’s not going to have the same amount of time and breathing room to make with the crayon brain teasers, magic tricks or origami. Those are situations where the head server really does need to step in.

And some servers just don’t have a gregarious personality, which is totally fine, so long as they get all the other things right.

All that having been said, I don’t think it could hurt to email guest relations, give them your name and cruise details, and politely ask to be assigned a server that tends to be on the “lively” side.

Or, you could just ask for Ashang. :teeth:
Just wanted to let you know that we returned from our cruise today. I decided to put in a request for Ashang a few weeks ago and we got him. Wow! He was amazing, along with his assistant, Engan. Hands down the best servers we’ve ever had or could wish for! Thank you!

Just wanted to let you know that we returned from our cruise today. I decided to put in a request for Ashang a few weeks ago and we got him. Wow! He was amazing, along with his assistant, Engan. Hands down the best servers we’ve ever had or could wish for! Thank you!

Ashang is awesome. I am glad he didn’t disappoint.

We just had Ashang. He was awesome!!! He has a wonderful laugh and is always positive. He's on the Fantasy right now.

He told us he is not interested in moving to one of the new ships, and would like to stay on the Fantasy indefinitely. Ultimately, it may not be his call, but he seems to have found his groove exactly where he is.

He told us he is not interested in moving to one of the new ships, and would like to stay on the Fantasy indefinitely. Ultimately, it may not be his call, but he seems to have found his groove exactly where he is.

He told me the same thing in February.

I agree its luck of the draw. Though we usually on the first day make it known that we like the tricks, interfacing with the servers, we ask a lot of questions and really engage with them. Our kids are 12 and 15.

Joe

We just had Ashang. He was awesome!!! He has a wonderful laugh and is always positive. He's on the Fantasy right now.

He told me the same thing in February.

Sorry - forgot to ask: did any of you folks happen to get his email address so you could contact him directly to see if he'd be on a given sailing? If so, would you mind sharing? We have some dates we are looking at, and would hate to miss him if he was on vacation/in-between contracts.

Sorry - forgot to ask: did any of you folks happen to get his email address so you could contact him directly to see if he'd be on a given sailing? If so, would you mind sharing? We have some dates we are looking at, and would hate to miss him if he was on vacation/in-between contracts.
I didn’t even think to do this...if you do get it from someone else I would love it also! Such a difference a wonderful server can make!

I agree its luck of the draw. Though we usually on the first day make it known that we like the tricks, interfacing with the servers, we ask a lot of questions and really engage with them. Our kids are 12 and 15.

Joe
We tried to make it known on our 2017 cruise, but that server was just so serious. He did a good job as far as serving but did not engage with us at all even with us trying to get him to open up. It really changes the feel of dinner and the cruise in general. I think I will try to make requests for future cruises.

We got Ashang and Engen by luck of the draw. They were a great team.

I agree with @Dug...I think there is a real problem when other tables are demanding special attention and service, creating orders that require extra preparation, etc. The time has to come from somewhere, and it can come out of the personal time they might spend with you over and above the normal service.

We generally have great luck by engaging the servers, showing them a lot of respect, not making any special requests (sorry, but you really don't need anything special in order to have a fabulous meal). But there's more; often if we linger a few minutes after dinner they will take time to interact with us, even though they are getting ready for the next seating (we generally eat early). We don't ask for that time, but often get it.

One last thing I've learned...I will learn a little magic trick, and tell the servers that if they ever have a moment I will show it to them. Usually something they can learn and do themselves, and boy do I get a lot of magic shown me in return! That discover was pretty cool.

We generally have great luck by engaging the servers, showing them a lot of respect, not making any special requests (sorry, but you really don't need anything special in order to have a fabulous meal). But there's more; often if we linger a few minutes after dinner they will take time to interact with us, even though they are getting ready for the next seating (we generally eat early). We don't ask for that time, but often get it.

I have found the same thing. Ashang has sometimes sat down with us for a few minutes in-between seatings to chit-chat. It is nice to talk with him when he doesn't have his "game face" on.

Can you find him on Facebook? I mean, how many Ashang Kangoos can there be in the world?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter