Disney Dream - some quick questions from 1st timer

SMN38

Earning My Ears
Hi All

I am sailing in few days and excited to be on the first cruise with 2 kids 5 and 10yrs. I hope you can help answer the following. Thanks in advance

1. Do the rooms have AC?
2. For on the ship activities that kids can participate - can we drop them off and go do other things?
3. Where do kids stay most of the time and especially if we decide to have dinner at for the adults only restaurant?
4. Is it worth getting off the ship st Bahamas or rather enjoy the ship activities?

thanks
SMN38

Hi All

I am sailing in few days and excited to be on the first cruise with 2 kids 5 and 10yrs. I hope you can help answer the following. Thanks in advance

1. Do the rooms have AC?
2. For on the ship activities that kids can participate - can we drop them off and go do other things?
3. Where do kids stay most of the time and especially if we decide to have dinner at for the adults only restaurant?
4. Is it worth getting off the ship st Bahamas or rather enjoy the ship activities?

thanks
SMN38
1. Yes
2. If the activity is in the kid's clubs, yes.
3. They can go to the kid's clubs. Or just "hang out" where ever you tell them to.
4. If you've not been to the Bahamas (Nassau) before, I say go ashore. You don't know whether you'll enjoy it or not, just based on others experiences.

Hi All

1. Do the rooms have AC?

thanks
SMN38

1. Yes
2. Yes, the kids clubs
3. Every family is different. Your kids would go to the kids clubs
4. If you have never been, you should at least take a short walk around

1. Yes they do!

2. Absolutely! Your kids are in the age band that can to go the Oceaneer's Club and Oceaneer's Lab. Your daily Navigator (which is the newsletter that tells what's going on) will tell what's happening in the kids' clubs and when. You'll sign in the kids, and you can pick them up later or they can have the cast members contact you when they are ready to leave. (The older one will be able to sign him/herself out with your permission.)

3. When you are at adults only activities, the kids can go to the kids clubs to be supervised.

4. If there's a Port Adventure that interests you, go for it. Or if you want to get off and walk around. Otherwise, since you are onboard the Dream, I'll assume it's a 3 or 4 night cruise. You may want to spend your time on the ship, since it's relatively limited. If your sailing visits Castaway Cay, definitely get off the ship and enjoy this island!

Have fun!

Yes the rooms have AC. There is a slot by the cabin door that hold a credit card, to keep the AC and lights on in cabin a card needs to be inserted. The AC/lights shut off when card is removed. It is asked to remove card when you leave room to save energy.

It depends on what the activities are. If it is something taking place in the atrium (storytime or the like), most of the time the kids will sit on the floor and parents kinda mill about around the edges. If its an activity in the kids club, you can drop them off. I'm not sure what happens during open house hours though.

Our last cruise the kids spent an hour or 2 after dinner/show at the kids club (we do main dining). Daytime is usually family time and we are enjoying what the port or ship has to offer. We have dropped kids off at kids club for our Palo reservations.

The Bahamas question is more complicated. You will get a ton of different answers. How long is your cruise? If it is a 3 day cruise you might want to enjoy the ship. On a 4 day you have to sea day to enjoy the Dream. We have done a bunch of diff things. There are a lot of excursions available but not sure how many are for a 5 yo. Once we did the Atlantis day pass, once we just walked around for a bit and went back to ship, once we walked to Junkanoo Beach and had an awesome time and once on a 3 day we stayed on board.

Hope this helps.

There is really no bad time on the Dream! Enjoy!

I'm not sure what happens during open house hours though.
During Open House times, an adult or guardian must remain with a child. Or the child will be relocated to the secured programming area. When the Club is Open House the Lab is secured, and vice versa.

Thank you all. This helps. Few followups-
A. Are these club$ included in the cruise booking?
B. I see an option to pre-pay gratuity? Do I take it? For 4 people it is about 200-250. How does this work?

Thanks
SMN38

B. I see an option to pre-pay gratuity? Do I take it? For 4 people it is about 200-250. How does this work?

Thanks
SMN38
A. Yes.
B. How long is your cruise? The cost is $12.00 per night for each person in your room. You can pre-pay (we've done this) or just have it added to your onboard account once onboard (nightly) and pay up at the end of the cruise. To pre-pay, call DCL and have it added. Or your TA will do this, if you used one.

Thanks
SMN38
Clubs are included in your fare.

The gratuities are $12 per person per day. That money is split between your room host and dining room staff. The dining room folks also work the buffets and pool side restaurants during the day, so really their tips are for all your meals the whole time.

Additional tipping you might do would be for adult dining, bars, and/or spa services. This experiences are obviously optional.

Additional tipping you might do would be for adult dining, bars, and/or spa services. This experiences are obviously optional.
Actually any beverage purchases have an auto gratuity added (15%). You can tip additionally to that if you wish.

Also, the spa has an 18% auto gratuity.

Actually any beverage purchases have an auto gratuity added (15%). You can tip additionally to that if you wish.

Also, the spa has an 18% auto gratuity.
Yes, but an auto grat is still tipping above $12/person/day which is exactly what I said

A. Yes.
B. How long is your cruise? The cost is $12.00 per night for each person in your room. You can pre-pay (we've done this) or just have it added to your onboard account once onboard (nightly) and pay up at the end of the cruise. To pre-pay, call DCL and have it added. Or your TA will do this, if you used one.

So there is not difference if I pre-pay or post pay ...correct?

So there is not difference if I pre-pay or post pay ...correct?

No. UNLESS they raise the gratuities. Then it is usually if you've prepaid them by a certain date they remain at what they were but if you don't you will pay the higher gratuity rate.

And it's not really "post-pay" as they're charged on a daily basis on board.

Thanks all.

For the onboard activities and shows...like Beauty and the Beast. Are these based on first come first serve seating or do I need to reserve a time slot?

Thanks all.

For the onboard activities and shows...like Beauty and the Beast. Are these based on first come first serve seating or do I need to reserve a time slot?

No reservations for the shows. If you have early dinner, you see the second show. If you have late dinner, you see the first show.

Tastings you can sign up for in advance when you do your online check-in if any are available. If not, you can check on board the first day - your Navigator (which you'll get in the terminal when you check in in person) will have the time and location to sign up for tastings.

Dinner at Palo or Remy you sign up for in advance also - when you do online check-in. Again, if sold out, check to see if there is availability, location in the Navigator.

No reservations for the shows. If you have early dinner, you see the second show. If you have late dinner, you see the first show.
You may also skip your dining rotation, eat room service or from the on-deck quick-serve stations, and go to whichever show you want. Just a courtesy to let your dining team know you won't be showing up so it won't hold up the food for the rest of the table (if you share a table).

Great....how does table sharing work? Are these fine dining restaurants? I am referring to regular everyday dining.

You may also skip your dining rotation, eat room service or from the on-deck quick-serve stations, and go to whichever show you want. Just a courtesy to let your dining team know you won't be showing up so it won't hold up the food for the rest of the table (if you share a table).

And please remember to keep the tips in place - those same servers work the buffet and/or the mdr breakfast/lunch.

The seating in the theater is really based on the way dinners are divided, so going to the opposite could mean someone who is supposed to go to that show and goes to their regular dining cannot get a seat or has to skip their dinner to see it. So yes, it can be done, but it does affect others if people do it in large numbers.

Great....how does table sharing work? Are these fine dining restaurants? I am referring to regular everyday dining.

They normally try to seat you with a similar family (similar kids/ages). But you can also request a table for your family alone. It is not guaranteed, but you can request it by calling DCL (or your travel agent if you have one). You will probably have better luck with this request if you have the second seating for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!