Disney Concierge - Is it Similar to NCL Haven?

Halefamilyof6

Mouseketeer
Our family has taken only one cruise...unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on POV) we found an AMAZING deal on a NCL Haven room in 2016 for our family of five. Unfortunately, that deal was pure dumb luck I think, because there's NOTHING even remotely close to that anymore.

With that being said - we are considering a Disney cruise in 2019. We are looking at the concierge level, my husband more determined for that kind of room than I am. I'm not totally convinced we have to spend so much for concierge.

Besides the room size differential, is the concierge level on Disney similar to the Haven for those who have done both?

I don't see a dedicated restaurant on Disney or a dedicated pool? We aren't lay in the sun kind of people so the pure sun deck isn't super important to us. I'm a in the pool kind of person, lol.

Early embark, early booking are the two main things I see as added benefits...but I'm wondering if I'm missing other benefits?

Thank you!

On Disney you do not have a dedicated restaurant, pool (there is a sun deck), or your own butler. There is a lounge that is just concierge. But for dining rooms, you have to breathe the air of us commoners. :)

On Disney you do not have a dedicated restaurant, pool (there is a sun deck), or your own butler. There is a lounge that is just concierge. But for dining rooms, you have to breathe the air of us commoners. :)

LOL! Oh no, it's pure unadulterated laziness, that's all! Our room was just across the way from the restaurant on NCL...it was a thing of beauty to be that convenient.

Honestly, I'm trying to wrap my mind around the costs of concierge. We only paid $8k for six of us on NCL...even now, the best we can do for five of us (oldest is adulting now and can't afford the time off work) is still about $12k. Disney is about $16k. Ugh, that makes my stomach flip flop just typing that cost.

LOL! Oh no, it's pure unadulterated laziness, that's all! Our room was just across the way from the restaurant on NCL...it was a thing of beauty to be that convenient.

Honestly, I'm trying to wrap my mind around the costs of concierge. We only paid $8k for six of us on NCL...even now, the best we can do for five of us (oldest is adulting now and can't afford the time off work) is still about $12k. Disney is about $16k. Ugh, that makes my stomach flip flop just typing that cost.

Yeah. It is a lot. We did Concierge - just in a non-suite - our first DCL. My dad booked it. It was nice, but we really did not use everything.

I was pondering it for my 2019 cruise, but for the $2500 I will keep my 5A balcony.

(The commoners thing came from the one time I was pondering doing NCL from NYC in a studio. I was asking about the Vibe wristband purchase on another forum and encountered someone bragging about how even though her family and her friend's family were Haven and had that deck, they bought Vibe wristbands (upon encouragement from other Haven devotees on the same forum) with no intention of using them but so that there was more space around the Haven sun deck area.)

The Category Vs are same size as most category 4s (not 4e). No restaurant. No private pool. No butler. No fancy coffee machines in the room. The lounge does offer light eats for breakfast & during the cocktail hours. Not sure if I remember mid-day. I think maybe yes? Lots of little magical things happen for you. The concierge staff will get to know you a bit. We connected with one of our concierges from a Wonder 8-night in January 2013. Didn’t even have a lounge onboard that ship then. We just adored him. My youngest son who was all of 15 yrs old then bumped into him outside Palo on the Fantasy last May. My son was 19 so imagine the height difference as well as appearance! That concierge remembered my son’s name on sight! He sent my son back to us with a message to come see him (we weren’t sailing concierge last year). I wasn’t going to try to be-bop myself up in the concierge lounge when I didn’t belong there so it was weird trying to coordinate. Last full day on the cruise our favorite old concierge host tracked us down, knocked on our door, and invited us to visit later that night. So I called ahead and we went up. It was glorious! We all shared pictures and visited just like family! I’m not sure if these are the kinds of bonds you have with the concierge staff & butlers on NCL but I was sure amazed by it! Had a few other concierges recognize us and make a fuss on repeat cruises with them. It’s always nice to be treated like family. Now, whether that’s worth the premium is up to you. If a cabana on Castaway Cay is a must, book concierge.

We love concierge. Our daughter enjoys the occasional time in the lounge along with all the little goodies and treats they have there. We like that we have always gotten a cabana rental on Castaway Cay when we stay in concierge. They do a great job of reservations, cancellations, getting your photos, getting you on the ship first, FREE ALCOHOL each night from 5-9 ish, as well as many other things.

I don't know that I have every talked with anyone that didn't like concierge.......................but I have found some that didn't think it was worth the extra money.

To each their own. Good luck.

We have stayed both NCL Haven (1 x NCL Escape) and DCL Concierge (2 x DCL Fantasy). Here are my thoughts on the differences:

NCL
  • Private Restaurant
  • Butler
  • Private Bar
  • Pool area
  • Bigger rooms
DCL
  • We felt more catered to - Concierge staff knew our names, paid attention to favorites, etc.
  • No private bar but there is open bar basically from 5-10pm in the lounge
  • No private restaurant - snacks throughout the day. If you have a food allergy, they will have food special for you.
  • No Butler - but we didn't miss it?
  • This will depend on the ship. DCL Fantasy has a covered sun deck with hot tub. Not all ships have this. We made a lot of use of it last trip.
  • Smaller rooms - also not a killer for us
Some things with the ships. I would give DCL hands down the lead when it comes to kid's clubs. My daughter didn't care so much for the NCL experience as it's very structured. Just a FYI if that is something that matters to your family.

Overall ambiance is also something I would give to DCL. Outside of the Haven, the Escape felt somewhat frantic and crowded. I never felt that way on the Fantasy. Example: try to get a chair by the pools on NCL without getting up at 6am and "reserving" a chair with a book. You can usually find somewhere to park your stuff (or at least we could) on DCL.

Something I would give to NCL would be their spa. The spa on the Escape was SO much better than anything we experienced on DCL.

We have stayed both NCL Haven (1 x NCL Escape) and DCL Concierge (2 x DCL Fantasy). Here are my thoughts on the differences:

NCL
  • Private Restaurant
  • Butler
  • Private Bar
  • Pool area
  • Bigger rooms
DCL
  • We felt more catered to - Concierge staff knew our names, paid attention to favorites, etc.
  • No private bar but there is open bar basically from 5-10pm in the lounge
  • No private restaurant - snacks throughout the day. If you have a food allergy, they will have food special for you.
  • No Butler - but we didn't miss it?
  • This will depend on the ship. DCL Fantasy has a covered sun deck with hot tub. Not all ships have this. We made a lot of use of it last trip.
  • Smaller rooms - also not a killer for us
Some things with the ships. I would give DCL hands down the lead when it comes to kid's clubs. My daughter didn't care so much for the NCL experience as it's very structured. Just a FYI if that is something that matters to your family.

Overall ambiance is also something I would give to DCL. Outside of the Haven, the Escape felt somewhat frantic and crowded. I never felt that way on the Fantasy. Example: try to get a chair by the pools on NCL without getting up at 6am and "reserving" a chair with a book. You can usually find somewhere to park your stuff (or at least we could) on DCL.

Something I would give to NCL would be their spa. The spa on the Escape was SO much better than anything we experienced on DCL.
you said the room was smaller on DCL............what room type did you stay in as there are 3 different rooms on the Fantasy in concierge.

What about reserved seats for shows with concierge? That’s something else we received with the Haven. And a bridge tour.

Awesome breakdown, thank you! We did feel that rushed feeling on NCL...people always pushing to get somewhere it felt like, I'm glad I wasn't the only one. We didn't use the spa on NCL, not sure if that's in the plans for DCL. But, the kids activities are very important. My youngest is already sad he can't be with his brother and sister (they'll be 14 at the time of the cruise, and he'll be 9). He hates being without them, so I REALLY hope the kids area will be awesome to keep him entertained at times. On NCL, he wasn't thrilled although the older two LOVED NCL kids area.

you said the room was smaller on DCL............what room type did you stay in as there are 3 different rooms on the Fantasy in concierge.
We plan to do a family stateroom with verandah. So, it's much smaller than our 2 bedroom, but on our last cruise we were RARELY in the room, so size isn't a big deal to us. My husband spent a good amount of time due to getting super sick (strep and dehydration) and being bedridden for a couple days.

What about reserved seats for shows with concierge? That’s something else we received with the Haven. And a bridge tour.

Nope.

And no bridge tours on DCL for anyone.

We've done both NCL Haven and DCL concierge (several times). PP's have also listed what is included with each cruise line, but I'll just add, we've always had a much better experience on our DCL cruises. Much better service, better quality of food and activities. NCL does a lot of up selling which I don't find on DCL and it has a bit of a tacky feeling (the gift shops, the decor, etc.). My DS also much prefers the DCL kids' clubs.

We were in a family veranda basically. 3 of us in one room as opposed to 4 of us in a 2 bedroom on NCL.

I know the OP didn't expressly mention it, but it would be interesting to add MSC Yacht Club in this discussion if anyone has done all three.

I am guessing the new boats will expand the concierge experience in some capacity. Either more rooms, private pool area, etc.

They make a lot of money with concierge passengers and I see them looking to capitalize on it.

Our family has taken only one cruise...unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on POV) we found an AMAZING deal on a NCL Haven room in 2016 for our family of five. Unfortunately, that deal was pure dumb luck I think, because there's NOTHING even remotely close to that anymore.

With that being said - we are considering a Disney cruise in 2019. We are looking at the concierge level, my husband more determined for that kind of room than I am. I'm not totally convinced we have to spend so much for concierge.

Besides the room size differential, is the concierge level on Disney similar to the Haven for those who have done both?

I don't see a dedicated restaurant on Disney or a dedicated pool? We aren't lay in the sun kind of people so the pure sun deck isn't super important to us. I'm a in the pool kind of person, lol.

Early embark, early booking are the two main things I see as added benefits...but I'm wondering if I'm missing other benefits?

Thank you!

Hi. I've done The Haven 2x and DCL concierge once. For my family The Haven wins hands down, especially considering the cost. I don't think DCL compares with The Haven so I'd say it is not similar. With DCL you can score a cabana at CC though (not reason enough to book concierge). I really liked the NCL reserved seats in the theatre for Haven guests too. For Disney we stay in the cheapest rooms we can get. When we want a suite we look at NCL sailings for The Haven. Like you we scored great deals that don't seem to come up anymore. We keep looking and will jump on a good deal when it comes along.

The above is simply The Haven vs. Concierge. Overall I like DCL more but the things that make me feel that way are available to everyone on the ship.

Last edited:
We stay in concierge on DCL when we sail. When we went to Europe last year, we had an owners suite in The Haven on NCL.
It was nice, but I was very excited to get back to DCL. We were underwhelmed.

Thanks for all the info and comparisons. We are considering NCL for a Hawaiian cruise in the future. We will most likely go "Haven" with NCL.

Thanks for all the info and comparisons. We are considering NCL for a Hawaiian cruise in the future. We will most likely go "Haven" with NCL.

The NCL ship Pride of America that sails Hawaii does not have a Haven. There are suites with concierge and butler service but no Haven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter