Disney College Program Lifeguard

Samantha Bunten

Earning My Ears
Hello, new person here! Im Sam and I'm a sophomore in college. I want to apply for DCP for Spring 2018 and my top choice position is lifeguarding. I know Disney provides lifeguard training on site, but what if I am already certified as a lifeguard? Do I still do the training at Disney on top of my current certification? Also, side note, does anyone know how good the odds are of getting a lifeguard placement if it's my top choice? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello, new person here! Im Sam and I'm a sophomore in college. I want to apply for DCP for Spring 2018 and my top choice position is lifeguarding. I know Disney provides lifeguard training on site, but what if I am already certified as a lifeguard? Do I still do the training at Disney on top of my current certification? Also, side note, does anyone know who good the odds are of getting a lifeguard placement if it's my top choice? Thank you!

You will have a great chance of getting that role if it's your first choice and you speak with interviewer about it. Of course, Disney does what Disney does, so no guarantees! You will have to take their Ellis lifesaving/CPR course no matter what. Disney will also "own" your certification and you can't use it elsewhere. My DD had to take the CPR course for her role and even though she took a refresher every month for the ten months she was there, she could not bring a card home. She has to take a course here now for her job.

I hope everything works out for you! My girls have loved their programs so much!

Just search on Youtube for "Disney Lifeguard" there are several videos on what it is like to Lifeguard there. It sounds like if you have the qualifications it is pretty easy to get since there is such a big need for Lifeguards between the waterparks and all the resort pools.

Hello, new person here! Im Sam and I'm a sophomore in college. I want to apply for DCP for Spring 2018 and my top choice position is lifeguarding. I know Disney provides lifeguard training on site, but what if I am already certified as a lifeguard? Do I still do the training at Disney on top of my current certification? Also, side note, does anyone know how good the odds are of getting a lifeguard placement if it's my top choice? Thank you!
Hey! I did the DCP as a lifeguard. It was my top choice and honestly if its your top choice you'll get it. The first three days of your role after traditions is going to be training with Ellis. Its three long days with 8 hours of watching videos or jumping in the pool, but honestly it was so much fun. Disney does own your certification unfortunately . If you are just doing there regular DCP and not the extended then you will most likely be placed at a resort. I was at Caribbean Beach and then my last month was deployed at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. I also had the opportunity to guard at the camp grounds, which only four DCP's have done. All the others are full timers! Its a ton of fun because the pool is set hours and so you can't be there really late. I know you'll love it, as stressful as it is, its also amazing!

I was originally cast as a lifeguard for my program in the Fall (I got re-cast in Custodial, but that's another story) and I've been a lifeguard at a lake for four years prior to that (worked there right up until the day I left for Florida). I also just got re-certified prior to going to Disney and they still had me go through their training. Primarily this is because Red Cross is what most lifeguards are certified through (such as moi) while Disney uses Ellis, both very different styles of guarding and training. Also, you have location training as well as the basic Disney training (Traditions, Welcome to Ops, etc.) so yes, training still very much exists.

In terms of if Lifeguarding is your top role, you most likely will get it, especially if you mention it in your phone interview. It is a high safety critical role, the most safety critical of any role, so Disney tends to hire many in the role since not everyone will end up making it through training or get re-cast (like me). I put Lifeguard as low interest on my application (I had been doing it for MANY years and was hoping to get a new experience at Disney) and tried to talk more about my other top roles or roles I feel I'd be a good fit for, but just the slight mention of Lifeguard, I was highly unlikely to get cast as anything else.

Hope this helps! :)

This may be too late for OP, but here is a link to my daughter's blog, she was a lifeguard through the program beginning in 2012, and stayed on full time for 2.5 years after her program ended, moving to concierge, then front desk supervisor. It has some good detail on the lifeguard process and days.
http://kingdomhopping.blogspot.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!