Disney changes are especially bad for serious fans

cdurham1

Most magical at the most magical place on Earth
DVC Platinum
The reopening procedures are going to be especially bad for those of us on this forum.

What I mean is that we are all pretty good at planning, getting optimal fastpasses, booking optimal ADR's, making optimal touring plans, etc.

This neutralizes our advantage. We will now have to "go with the flow" like everyone else. By the time the parks open and people figure out the valuable "tips and tricks," things will be changing again.

Additionally, some of the changes are likely to stick around for a long time, maybe permanently. And without a timeline on when changes will stick/drop. Planning in this environment is going to be even more time consuming than usual.

I have never used an agency like Dreams Unlimited, but if I were going, I think this is the time to consider it.

I have always enjoyed the role of "planner" for my family and they appreciate how much my planning leads to a smooth, fun trip. Their appreciation and joy is part of my satisfaction in Disney trips. My 8 year old complained last year when an expected wait time was 30 minutes, saying, "I can't believe people would wait 30 minutes for something." It was the highlight of my trip, lol.

For me, unfortunately, not having an idea of what is going on or a grasp on expectations just adds to my vacation anxiety. It is hard to imagine booking a family trip in the foreseeable future.

I agree, and I'm the planner for my family, too.

We are willing to wait this out quite a while before going back. The bottom line for me is, a family trip to WDW is very expensive compared to other vacations. Currently they are limiting park hours, attractions, and dining, but if the ticket price is going to be the same, then it's a no-brainer (for me) to not plan a vacation there.

This is all aside from not wanting to risk our health just to have a good time.

My dentist left me a message that they are currently charging a $20 surcharge for the cost of COVID-19 protection. This coming from a medical office that already wears masks/shields and gloves, and should already be thoroughly cleaning. I called them back and said my cleaning could wait. :headache:

funny....I think its easier for the serious fan......we have an easier time going with the flow than someone who does not know the ins and outs of Disney as well.. Also, we know we are going back in the not too distant future , so we can handle missing things and going with the flow. We're going in July.....I think it will definitely be go with the flow. I"m actually switching most of my ADRs to restaurants outside of the parks due to the early closing time as well as this reservation system.

i have not been back to Disney since 2014 and man am i having Disney withdraws I may go back with just myself in 2021 but we are planning a trip for 2023 with the whole family I want my grandchildren to experience everything that a normal Disney would be and yes I am a very optimistic person who knows that if we all follow the rules and wear the masks and do what we are asked to do we will get back to happier days

Naw.... we are the planners and always will be. When things changes we will still do our homework and be the most prepared, we already can navigate the park blindfolded (masks won't hold us back). We will be the most prepared people there plus we know the temperature checks on the left will be fastest.

Last edited:
I think most people that are going to attempt a trip this year will be the serious fans. I have a few friends and coworkers who were thinking of a first or second time trip this year but quickly changed their minds because they feel it is a lot of money to waste for limited hours and restrictions. Those who have been going to WDW regularly can still see the value of a trip- they know WDW is not just the parks and a newb doesn't yet get that.

There was a time when there was no such thing as ADRs made 180 days in advance and FPs for 60+4 - granted crowd levels were a bit more manageable but a 45-minute wait was still a given for headliners, heat humidity and cranky children were still ever-present, and we still all had fun and made a lot of beautiful happy memories.

The anxiety around not being able to anticipate whether or not a trip right now would be a worthy value is real, but I wish there was a slight attitude shift to remind people that you can still have a fun, enjoyable trip without doing all the planning. There is more than one way to tour.

Agreed with everyone here. I am a SERIOUS fan, and I'm fine going with the flow this time. I have enough trips under my belt that I will still have an inherent advantage over someone who is less experienced. And I'll still take the time to research and maximize my day no matter what the new procedures are. Plus, for my family personally, we have no expectations this time. We've done it all, and we'll do it all again. We're just looking forward to a new experience together that will (for sure) be different than any of our other trips!

I think most people that are going to attempt a trip this year will be the serious fans. I have a few friends and coworkers who were thinking of a first or second time trip this year but quickly changed their minds because they feel it is a lot of money to waste for limited hours and restrictions. Those who have been going to WDW regularly can still see the value of a trip- they know WDW is not just the parks and a newb doesn't yet get that.
Completely agree

I'm just grateful that we went and did all the Christmas stuff for the first time in 2017, so if this Christmas gets a little jacked up with the restrictions, it's okay. Less crowds and not having people crammed cheek-by-jowl everywhere we go will be a nice change, even if it means we can't have fireworks and parades, etc. And that's coming from someone who lives for the nighttime shows and loves the Christmas parade in MK. But it'll be what it'll be. Or the virus will have a second wave before then and the whole place will shut down. Either way...not much I can do about it, and...that's kind of liberating, LOL.

It's funny, there is a very similar thread that is still on the main TPAS page and the responders lean more toward "cancel". We were supposed to be there last week with our 4 year old grandson, and we were heartbroken to cancel. Still not in a hurry to go back.

It’s not just the restrictions but the threat of illness even with the restrictions. I was chatting with one of our physical therapists abut things opening up, and I mentioned that WDW is planning to open.
She immediately said, “yeah, but who would want to go?”
I was just like, “you have no idea!!!”

Not so fast! Lol - We have been very serious fans since 1971 when the MK opened and have enjoyed more trips there than I could possible count, but we have zero interest in exposing ourselves in a crowd to the unknown of this virus. Can't begin to imagine wearing masks in the heat though we agree with Disney on wearing them at this time. We do wear our masks when we are out, but not for long periods.

Having so many things reduced or taken away entirely would be our next reason for not going. We are gladly patiently waiting for the day - whenever that might be - when we can enjoy the parks 'mostly' and safely as we have in the past.

So, no, we do not see the value - in many ways (dollars or 'sense') - of a trip to Disney right now. There's more of us than you might think! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter