Disney BBQ

The Polite Pig is amazeballs. Their meat is amazing but I also dream about the bbq cauliflower -- it's just so good.

DH and I love BBQ and enjoy Whispering Canyon. We've not tried the new skillets yet, but the prior one was good for what it was. Its not amazing or authentic BBQ, but it hits the spot. Same goes for Flame Tree BBQ, however we don't care for the outdoor seating with the birds all around.

We tried the Polite Pig in October. It was decent, but I wasn't wowed by anything. It was also very busy and difficult to find a table at the time. Because of this, we'd probably opt for Whispering Canyon so we can make an ADR and be waited on.

Last edited:

I don't think the Disney version of any regional or ethnic dish is going to come close to the real thing. For the most part they can't even make a pizza any better than the big chain restaurants. I like the way @KenHutch thinks: Get something different than what you eat at home, you won't know any better and you might like it. :)

Last edited:
My skillet at Whispering Canyon Cafe contained what I thought was the WORST BBQ brisket I have ever had. I thought the pulled pork was merely adequate, but not in any way special. The ribs tasted like the sauce they were slathered with. I couldn't tell if they were pork or beef, which is pretty bad.

I do admit to being a bit of a BBQ snob, having eaten brisket and pulled pork all over the US, at chains and at local joints. I'm also a BBQ cook, and know my way around a smoker. I serve my meat unadorned with sauce, as most joints do that take pride in their meat. The sauce is at the table to put on yourself, as much or as little as you'd like.

I don't go to WDW for the stuff I eat at home really. I mean people rave about Art Smith's place and some folks like the bar-b-que and some don't. I am from Texas so bar-b-que is not like at home, so I generally don't order it. Fried chicken and greens can never surpass my Grandmothers, so I won't do that. At home Brisket is a form of religion for some folks and I make my own so I stay away from that. I will admit the rub from Flame Tree is pretty good and you used to be able to buy it. They don't sell it anymore but my son did get the ingrediants and brand of spices they use so we figured it out on our own. A cook at Flame tree actually showed him the prep card from the kitchen and the only thing it did not say and the cook could not say was the ratios for the spices. Beyond that we will make our own meats.

Tried Polite Pig this past week and it was easily the best BBQ I've had at WDW. Line was long, but it moved quickly and food was delivered quickly too. An awesome QS credit value if you are on the dining plan.

I like the ribs at Harambe Market, but they're supposed to be more African style/seasoned rather than any type of US BBQ.

Seems to be a disconnect between where you can GET BBQ and where you can get REALLY good BBQ.. Outside of maybe the Polite Pig, I don't think really good BBQ exists on property. But I live in an area that doesn't have really good BBQ, so I am fine with places like WCC or Flame Tree if the mood strikes. I think the best place we have around here is Famous Dave's if you are looking for what I am using for a standard., which I consider to be pretty average to below average. A place I miss where I used to live that I put above average is Red Hot and Blue. I think Polite Pig hits that level.

I am very picky about "good" BBQ and "mediocre" BBQ. Having lived in Missouri had had really good BBQ and been to some KCBS competitions I think I'm a fair judge without being a snob. That said when I go to Disney I lower my expectations. Whispering Canyon, Flame Tree, all of them are what I'd call fast food BBQ. They feed me and make me happy enough, but I don't dig into the food and think how amazing it was and enjoy the complex mixture of smoke & seasonings.

The Polite Pig has me excited for our trip next year. The reviews and photos on Yelp give me hope that while it may not be as good as a real good BBQ joint in KC it will be good enough for me to enjoy the depths of flavor that come from attention to detail and passion, not just churning out fast food BBQ.

I also consider myself picky about good BBQ. Although not lucky enough to live in a big BBQ place we've traveled to OBX in NC for years and always had BBQ while there and now my husband has a smoker and will use any excuse to use it. He's got his pulled pork down so most places honestly don't live up to his. Before our 1st trip EVERYONE kept talking up Flame Tree and we were so disappointed because of how many people recommended it to us. Fast Food BBQ is the perfect way to describe it.

We also did Polite Pig and we did enjoy that. We were on the dining plan and got the sampler platter for 2. Really looking forward to the BBQ place that's going to take over Liberty Inn at Epcot.

My skillet at Whispering Canyon Cafe contained what I thought was the WORST BBQ brisket I have ever had. I thought the pulled pork was merely adequate, but not in any way special. The ribs tasted like the sauce they were slathered with. I couldn't tell if they were pork or beef, which is pretty bad.

I do admit to being a bit of a BBQ snob, having eaten brisket and pulled pork all over the US, at chains and at local joints. I'm also a BBQ cook, and know my way around a smoker. I serve my meat unadorned with sauce, as most joints do that take pride in their meat. The sauce is at the table to put on yourself, as much or as little as you'd like.

Absolutely! If the place serves it already drenched in sauce then they're not confident in the meat and want you to get all the flavor from the sauce instead!

We also did Polite Pig and we did enjoy that. We were on the dining plan and got the sampler platter for 2. Really looking forward to the BBQ place that's going to take over Liberty Inn at Epcot.
We've got Polite Pig on our agenda for our Feb trip, curious to give it a shot, and hopefully the new place too

Why isn’t Polite Pig listed with all the other restaurants when you look under dining, just wanted to see their menu

No you can’t. Being from the south I know good BBQ. Some people swear by Flame Tree. I should have known better and quickly learned my lesson. lol
Amen to that! People sing the praises of this place all day long and it was as bland as bland gets! Smells good when you walk by though lol.

The best on property that I've had was Whispering canyon. Not going to compare to what you're used to, but we found the skillet super flavorful.

I heard they are opening a new BBQ restaurant at the American Pavilion. Anyone know anything more about that BBQ?

Lived in Memphis for several years, and all over Alabama for the remainder of my life. I've never had anything from Disney that could come close to an "average" Memphis or Alabama BBQ joint.

Haven't had anything at WDW that I would consider anything other than generic bbq. Not bad bbq, just nothing special at all.

Psssst...you're not getting great seafood at WDW, either.

See, that's the thing, it's all about experiences back home. I'm from Memphis and I just can't even bother with BBQ at WDW or anywhere else really (unless it is also a BBQ capital). On a cold day I can smell BBQ from the joints a few blocks away! We don't get great seafood here, so if I go to WDW and have some, I am likely not to notice that it's not really up to par with true coastal areas that are known for it.

To the OP, I will say Flame Tree smells decent, but I've never actually had it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!