Disney at night

tidegirl

Earning My Ears
We are taking our 3rd and final trip on our APs and our last trip for a while next month. The other trips we were always there early cause I couldn't wait to get there LOL. We are older (45) and I have foot issues that make open-to-close days impossible. We just can't hang like that anymore. So we have mostly been morning to late afternoon.

Since this is our final trip for a while, I was wanting to go afternoon to close this time. We will be hitting all 4 parks once and have a 5th day to repeat whichever we feel we want more time in.

What are the can't-miss events and experiences for Disney at night? I know about each park's night show, but other than that. Like I have read Pandora is very different. And I think something about the night safari. Even for the night shows, are they all must-sees or are there any we should just skip? Any advice appreciated!

First, 45 isn't old. :D

If you've never been at night, you're missing an entirely different world. Just some quick highlights.

Night shows, which you've already mentioned. They're all good, except RoL (IMO).
Pandora at night is very pretty, worth seeing.
Safari at sunset is awesome. In the actual dark, not so much.
Ride lines get short near park closing, so if you're not seeing a night show, or the park is still open, great time to hit rides.
Main Street in MK under the lights is spectacular. I can stare at it for hours.
I've heard WS at night is fun, but I don't drink, so no experience.
The "vibe" in AK at night is really cool. It's a family oriented street party, worth the visit.
EE at night is fun, as are the other outdoor coasters (7DMT, BTMRR)

Must sees or skips are subjective and you are going to get many different views, personally I'm not a fan of most of the night shows since they are projection based and with the exception of ROL and Fantasmic, which have seats, I'm height challenged and see only about 45% of the show. At Epcot pay attention to the sidewalks as you leave the park at the main entrance, they have little lights in them and are cute. Also the fountain show at night lights up at Epcot. Pandora also has cute little lights on the sidewalks and in the trees. I'd skip the Safari at night, from what I understand they just use big spotlights and the animals aren't really that cooperative. AK has a lot of shows at night in the streets that are fun. HS is beautiful at night, lots of neon. The streets of MK are also beautiful at night. We like to ride Jungle Cruise at night, it's a different experience. Most of the roller coasters are fun at night because you are high up and get great views of the park. We are huge fans of ToT at HS and it's really great at night. Living with the Land at Epcot is pretty cool at night but it tends to not stay open late so it's hard to catch. If you want to spend a little money there is a great safari at AKL (Wayanama and I know I spelled that wrong) that starts with appetizers at the resort then they take the group on a private safari of the resort savannah's then back to Jikos for a huge meal that is served family style.

I know you will probably want to watch the MK fireworks from in front of the castle, but my most favorite thing to do at night in MK is ride Splash or BTMRR during the fireworks. Its just so beautiful and I cry every single time lol.

Same here, BTMRR is far better at night, IMHO. And the MK fireworks and projection on castle, also awesome...

Those were 2 of our 3 nighttime favorites, sadly #3 was MSEP. :(

Have you been on it at night? We've never seen it open past about 6pm. I'd like to try it if it is open.

Yep, in over 35 years of going I've only caught it once. That might have been in winter when it gets dark early. It is a working research facility so I imagine they shut it down earlier so they can actually get some work done.

This is always my biggest dilemma. I've been eight times to Disney and my favorite time is definitely in the evening but it's so hard to decide how to prioritize. I NEVER skip Magic Kingdom fireworks at night - for nostalgia reasons, and it also just gives me that "pinch me" moment every time no matter how many times I experience it. But I've also wanted to try Big Thunder at night too - one of my all time favorites. (Also for nostalgia). When we go next year, we will only have three park nights, and we haven't experienced Pandora yet so it will be hard to determine whether to skip an evening show in one of the other three parks - or see Pandora at night. I'll be following people's responses to this closely!

We passed on JC when we were there two weeks ago wondering if it was worthwhile to ride at night, do they illuminate the animals and the sets? It was only a 15 min wait so figured it was not worth it when it's dark.

It's a great experience at night! There is lighting and the skipper also has lights on the boat to point out specific things. Not only does the jungle take on a completely different atmosphere of mystery in the dark, but the lighting becomes a bit of a show element.

At Animal Kingdom, Pandora is really awesome at night (obviously). Also check out the Tree of Life, as well.

At Hollywood Studios, Sunset Boulevard is really cool at nighttime with neon lights and Tower of Terror looming in the background. Make sure you do Fantasmic and the Star Wars fireworks.

Epcot has Illuminations. The Boardwalk is actually really cool at nighttime - not a ton of stuff going on, but I just like the theming.

Magic Kingdom: Happily Ever After. Also, there's something so cool about Main Street and Magic Kingdom toward closing time when it's dead. Main Street has its white lights and the castle is all illuminated. Stay until the park closes and watch the "Kiss goodnight" too.

You can catch the MK fireworks from the Polynesian or Grand Floridian resorts. We would have dinner there just before the fireworks. You get the added bonus of the water pageant float parade, too.

If you can afford it you can get a boat cruise for the fireworks for MK or Illuminations. There are dessert parties, too.

Outdoor rides are quite different at night.

Consider doing a Fantasmic dinner package for reserved seating.

I agree with a previous poster who said that the parks at night are a different world. They are much more beautiful and exciting. I think the outdoor rides especially are a different experience. I also find Haunted Mansion to be a bit more fun at night because the darkness adds a bit to the creepiness factor. With a FP+, good timing, and a little luck, you can catch the MK fireworks while on BTMRR. Tomorrowland is cool at night from an aesthetic perspective, but I have to say that I usually don’t enjoy that area later in the day since it tends to get so congested.

We love the PeopleMover at night. We always stay until closing at the Magic Kingdom at least once during a trip. The hub area and Main Street are really nice once the people start clearing out. We'll grab a snack and a drink, find a nice place to sit and people watch as guests make their way out of the park. We really like to see the little ones in their strollers just wiped out from the day.

Pandora at night is so different than in the day time. We ended up going there at night three times on our last trip. Tree of Life Awakenings is really cool. Rivers of Light we found just so-so. Very crowded and not very exciting. Everest is great in the dark.

Sunset Boulevard is nice and Tower of Terror is great fun after dark. Looking out over Hollywood Studios from the tower is neat.

Lastly, we love everything about EPCOT at night. The fountain, Illuminations, Test Track, World Showcase, lights in the sidewalk, everything.

The ambiance of all of the parks at night is so different than in the day. It's great. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I agree; 45 is not old!:)

In my opinion, All Disney parks shine at night. Most of the families with young kids are in bed and the parks feel emptier. All the lights and detail come alive and it's just a different experience than day time. Especially on outdoor rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter